• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney developing live-action Mulan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

The casting will automatically fail if they choose Jamie Chung. There's nothing wrong with her and she already did play Mulan on Once Upon a Time, but she's the token Asian girl to play everything in Hollywood now.

The role should cast for a relative greenhorn and not resort to Hollywood's slim pickings of Asian actresses of like what? Five actresses?
Sides, No way could I take Jamie's Mulan all up on Shang, I'd be wanting Aurora the whole time.

Needs someone new.

Timbuktu

Can The Fresh Off Thr Boat mum (Constance Wu?) be in this please?

Hope they get Ang Lee to direct.

Not sure if I know any other Chinese American still in Hollywood. It's eaiser just to go make movie in China/HK.

Kjellson

They should have Sean Connery to play Mulan's father.

japanese-bond-jpg.jpg

It's kinda annoying that Disney's even doing stuff like this. I would think, after Frozen, they'd continue to seek out other "fairy tales" they've yet to "interpret by the Disney standard" to add to the list of Disney classics. I mean, Tangled(Rapunzel) and Frozen(Snow Queen) was on the right track. There's other old fairy tales yet to be Disney-fied, some even rather famous in themselves(Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, Hansel and Gretel). Meh, I guess we'll have to wait it out until they go through their entire catalog and give 'em ALL the "live action" treatment, then, maybe, they'll continue on the fairy tale/legend route again. Either that or maybe this will lead to another Eisner dark period in Disney history(similar to the whole spamming of stupid sequels) and we'll have to get someone to replace Iger to for yet another "Disney Renaissance".

Symphonic

It's kinda annoying that Disney's even doing stuff like this. I would think, after Frozen, they'd continue to seek out other "fairy tales" they've yet to "interpret by the Disney standard" to add to the list of Disney classics. I mean, Tangled(Rapunzel) and Frozen(Snow Queen) was on the right track. There's other old fairy tales yet to be Disney-fied, some even rather famous in themselves(Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, Hansel and Gretel). Meh, I guess we'll have to wait it out until they go through their entire catalog and give 'em ALL the "live action" treatment, then, maybe, they'll continue on the fairy tale/legend route again. Either that or maybe this will lead to another Eisner dark period in Disney history(similar to the whole spamming of stupid sequels) and we'll have to get someone to replace Iger to for yet another "Disney Renaissance".

They are doing this as well with Moana. You have any idea how many movies they're producing concurrently?

Obviously, you need a big name star to launch a movie. There are no Asian big name celebrities, maybe if there was they would be cast. Any asian actress needs more big name roles under their belt before we put them in a big name movie! Since they don't have any big name roles under their belt they don't have star power so we have to cast someone else because its the only way people will see the film, and we also need someone people can relate to. No one has heard of xxxxx before so they need more big name movies under their belt.

You need experience to get a job. You need a job to get experience.

Kimaka

Why are you guys so pessimistic? They will have an all Chinese cast.

But make the darker skinned ones the bad guys.

mreddie

So instead of doing more cartoons, they're making more live action cartoons?

As long as there is no whitewashing involved.

MartyStu

About fucking time.

THIS is the 'princess' remake I have been waiting for.

Do not get me wrong, I hate, hate, HATE this remake trend. But since they seem to be committed, they may as well remake the interesting ones.

Lebron

I don't see why they wouldn't cast an Asian actress when they already have an Asian girl playing Mulan in OUAT. Disney doesn't give minorities the shaft as much as other studios.

Not to mention they want that China money.

Mariolee

Didn't know Mulan appeared in Once Upon a Time. Also didn't know she was
a lesbian
in this version. That's very interesting. Did they pull it off?

Didn't know Mulan appeared in Once Upon a Time. Also didn't know she was
a lesbian
in this version. That's very interesting. Did they pull it off?

She worked when she had screen time, they had set up to start developing her but the actress became a lead on a different series.
So we find out she is in love with Aurora(who reveals she is pregnant),
Mulan decides not to make her feelings known then goes off to join Robin Hood's group(though when they return there is no mention of her)
She has been gone for like 30+ episodes now.

Didn't stop Exodus.

Have Mulan's love interest be some European who learns their culture and ways in a montage (over night, it never takes them long to master these things) then by the end of the movie he's the most powerful warrior and a perfect representation of chinese culture. He and Mulan fight the final battle together, Mulan is knocked down because lolwomen, amirite?! Then have great white beat the final baddie, he picks her up and gives her a warm embracing kiss, they live happily ever after and all of China sees him as their great hero.

Bonus points if they can get Brad Pitt to play the character.

Boom, both China and US markets satisfied!

OMFG... Dead.

this is totally happening

ah, they've been talking about this for a while now so it's good to hear they're actually doing something about it.

I remember being a kid and moving upstate, I saw ads for mulan and I was so so so sooo hyped for it, the most hyped a little boy could be for a disney cartoon I suppose. I think it had an appeal on me because it seemed sorta epic, and it was also about a war, and although mulan is still a disney princess it's a story that may have a wider demographic appeal.

quickly skimmed the article, but is there any word on the actress? Zhang Ziyi was in talks way back in the day.

Bold One

They're not editing the first movie, they're making a new one. If you think it looks bad, then don't watch. It does nothing to the original.

come on now dont be obtuse, the skeleton/ major plot points and elements from the original will be lifted, that much is true.

Mulan is a classic for me and growing with very few awesome female leads, it stood as a shinning light. Disney haven't done anything as good with that regard since, I'm not saying a live action version will be bad, it just shows a real lack of imagination and creative bankruptcy afflicting modern hollywood.

The past 15 years has seen my childhood regurgitated back at me for the sake of scoring nostalgia points.

jmood88

come on now dont be obtuse, the skeleton/ major plot points and elements from the original will be lifted, that much is true.

Mulan is a classic for me and growing with very few awesome female leads, it stood as a shinning light. Disney haven't done anything as good with that regard since, I'm not saying a live action version will be bad, it just shows a real lack of imagination and creative bankruptcy afflicting modern hollywood.

The past 15 years has seen my childhood regurgitated back at me for the sake of scoring nostalgia points.
It doesn't make sense to me. As I said earlier, Mulan is one of my favorite movies ever and was the first movie I saw multiple times in theaters. If the live-action version sucks, so what? I can put the original in and watch. As for your complaint about Hollywood lacking originality, you gotta stop repeating that tired point. Remakes have been a part of film pretty much since its inception and the animated Mulan is based off of another story. Like I said, if you think it looks shitty, then just don't watch. It doesn't change the original in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom