• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney developing live-action Mulan

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

I think they doing this just see how money they can make off the Chinese market. Since they had a Mulan movie that came out some years ago.

afilpKYpt8qoouHQWuLa2OcLrTn.jpg

That is a very unconvincing get up for a woman passing off as a dude.

dramatis

Get Chinese production designers to do the costumes and stuff, please. Mainland Chinese/Taiwan drama stories are meh but their production values are pretty good nowadays.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Disney will get Chloe Bennet to play Mulan. She's Asian but not Asian enough to keep white audiences from being unable to relate to a Chinese fairytale character. Plus, they already have a relationship with her. It's a win/win/win!

Edit: I forgot that she's a singer, too, so she could do the songs. I was joking at first but this doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.

This actually sounds plausible.

tomtom94

Can't wait for all the live-action princesses to team up in an Avengers-style movie

The Princess Cinematic Universe

A) Isn't that plot of the first Kingdom Hearts game?
B) This needs to happen

This sounds cool and I'm not actually bummed out by the whole live-action reimagining thing yet, I think Disney have used it to play out some cool concepts and this is a great opportunity so I hope this turns out good.

So long as Leah Salonga still gets to be Mulan's singing voice, I wouldn't care if they made Mulan a blonde blue eyed 'mixed' girl. lol

But seriously, this is a smart move by Disney. That Chinese box office $$$$. Or ¥¥¥¥ rather.

VAD

I'm sorry, did someone say Skye was also a singer? Chrispratt.gif
Will watch if she lands the role.

Platy

I bet they destroy the awesome "the soldier from the montains !" when the evil dude discover mulan .... and change to something shit like "i lost to a girl ?"

Not even mad at this. I loved Mulan so I'll check it out and Disney execs looking at the list of classics they can remake into live action with $$$$$$$$$$$ in their eyes.

Let's not go crazy, guys. I'll bet they're going to cast a half-Asian, half-white actress, like Kristen Kreuk or something, for the lead role.

Watch Ken Jeong somehow end up in this, too.

massoluk

Banned
I don't know how I'd feel if I see Mulan speaking English in Live-Action...

For the love of God, no pet cricket or comedian dragon.

Kinyou

I don't know how I'd feel if I see Mulan speaking English in Live-Action...

For the love of God, no pet cricket or comedian dragon.
I'd imagine Disney would want to stay somewhat close to their animated movie and not make something completely different

im more worried about the casting for Li Shang.
Daniel Henney please.
Or Daniel Wu, considering he has an American TV show coming out soon.

massoluk

Banned
I would co-develop the film with Chinese tourism department or something, like LOTR and New Zealand, and getting Chinese soldiers to do real epic battle scenes.

I know Cinderella doesn't have them but it'd be cool if they included the songs. Reflection, Make a Man and Girl Worth Fighting For GOAT (Honor to Us All is ok)

dorkkaos

I'm okay with this. I felt like the bad guy for Mulan, while threatening, wasn't as good as he could have been. Mulan herself could also be more interesting. This has a lot of potential.

I would also prefer it if they kept Make a man out of you in the movie :D

Platy

Can't wait for all the live-action princesses to team up in an Avengers-style movie

The Princess Cinematic Universe

A) Isn't that plot of the first Kingdom Hearts game?
B) This needs to happen

This sounds cool and I'm not actually bummed out by the whole live-action reimagining thing yet, I think Disney have used it to play out some cool concepts and this is a great opportunity so I hope this turns out good.

No, this is the plot of Once Upon a Time =P

EulaCapra

The casting will automatically fail if they choose Jamie Chung. There's nothing wrong with her and she already did play Mulan on Once Upon a Time, but she's the token Asian girl to play everything in Hollywood now.

The role should cast for a relative greenhorn and not resort to Hollywood's slim pickings of Asian actresses of like what? Five actresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom