• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 2.0 lOTl Fate of Two Worlds

My local store was selling this early so I picked it up. The toy box is a massive improvement over last year's iteration however the playsets feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. But yeah toy box is way better and way more structured and there is actually has a sense of accomplishment. The interior stuff was a lot of fun too.

Also I'm playing Xbox One on two player mode and the performance is pretty bad again.

There's a ton of play sets they can do for Disney. But given that Marvel wants to steer clear of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four, I can't see any viable Marvel play set options beyond maybe The Inhumans. In short, I don't see Marvel getting another play set in 3.0. They'll just add more to the Avengers, the Guardians, & Spider-Man, with a few other new MCU franchises along the way.

I don't care what they do with 3.0 but if it has Mulan and Indiana Jones as figures/playable characters(Even if TB only), I will buy absolutely everything they put out for 3.0.
Han Solo & Wasp as well would be even better.

fernoca

So I thought of maybe jumping into the "3 for $33" figures deal at Toys R Us, since I only want the Disney Originals and will wait for the digital release of the Toy Box.

But it turns out that the Disney Originals will be realesed on November 4th along the Toy Box Bundles.

Oh well. Less than 2 months to go. :/

EDIT: It seems the digital version will be released on November 4 also, instead of the unspecified date in November:
With the launch of Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) next week, I want to share some exciting news about the digital option for existing console players of Disney Infinity.

You may remember that during our announcement event for the 2.0 edition of the game in April, we revealed that the Disney Infinity base from the first version of the game will be compatible with this year’s version. Our thinking was simple: We’ve completely re-tooled the best aspects of the game, with a huge emphasis on the Toy Box mode. For those of you who have been fans since the beginning and spend most of your time building in the Toy Box, we wanted to make it easy for you to enjoy the 2.0 Edition experience, without having to purchase a new Starter Pack.

Starting on November 4, fans will have the option to digitally download Toy Box 2.0 on their PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Wii U systems and utilize their existing Disney Infinity base, along with all figures and Power Discs from the first edition in this all-new Toy Box. The download will be available on PlayStation Network, Xbox Store and the Nintendo eShop with a suggested retail price of $29.99. For a limited time, the download will be offered on PlayStation Network and the Nintendo eShop for an introductory suggested retail price of $19.99.

We’re launching this digital option on November 4 because that’s when all 2.0 Edition Play Sets will be available for individual purchase. It’s also when the Disney Originals series becomes available, significantly expanding the 2.0 character roster, so we believe this is the best timing for the a la carte consumer.

There will also be a special offer for players in North America: anyone who purchases a digital download of Toy Box 2.0 will receive both Disney Toy Box Game Discs (Stitch’s Tropical Rescue and Brave Forest Siege) at no additional cost for the discs. This offer will be available for a limited time, while supplies last. We will share additional details on this program as we get closer to launch of the digital download in November.

What does this mean for parents and gamers? It means the ability to pick and choose whatever combination of figures and Play Sets their heart desires and endless possibilities in how they want to play Disney Infinity. For example, if players own the first edition but are only interested in Toy Box 2.0 and adding Rocket Raccoon and Stitch to their collection, the digital download would be for them!

While most people will likely choose one of the retail Starter Packs to begin their 2.0 Edition experience, it was important to us to keep Disney Infinity infinite and satisfy every combination possible with a wider set of options for the holiday season.

We are unbelievably excited for you to get your hands on the next edition of Disney Infinity and can’t wait to see what worlds you create!

- John Vignocchi, Disney Infinity Executive Producer

Updated the OP with the Nov 4th digital download date and Jan release for Loki.

Did they ever state that all villains would release together or just that they were coming in 2015?

RK128

You want to know the most interesting thing? Avalanche also made this series before their work with Disney:

Tak_2_-_The_Staff_of_Dreams_Coverart.png

Tak_-_The_Great_Juju_Challenge_Coverart.png

I know this is off topic, but I loved these games growing up, so it was surprising to know that the guys that made these two games are working with Disney now :D.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm still on the fence whether to get into this on WiiU for my 3 year old.

She loves the toys and I'm getting her into games but I still have no clue how all the base/disc business works.

I'm not normally so dense, but this seems so confusing to me which is fucking embarrassing given the intended audience is children.

I'm 34 for fucks sake.

I'm still on the fence whether to get into this on WiiU for my 3 year old.

She loves the toys and I'm getting her into games but I still have no clue how all the base/disc business works.

I'm not normally so dense, but this seems so confusing to me which is fucking embarrassing given the intended audience is children.

I'm 34 for fucks sake.

Put stuff on the base, it shows up in game.

Take stuff off the base, it leaves the game (so you can put something else on).

Rlan

Huh, a little odd that they didn't have a female character that can go into the Spider-Man world (or I guess technically they can with Black Widow?)

I mean, they do have a "token girl" with White Tiger on the show. I don't watch it much, but she's pretty prominant:

c7ba3f6c55ddd917ab768a217dd0c1d8.jpg

Edit: Also Iron Fist without Power Man is a bit odd.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Put stuff on the base, it shows up in game.

Take stuff off the base, it leaves the game (so you can put something else on).

That part I know. But in terms of disc/base compatibility and stuff.

I assumed each "disc" acted as a memory card for each character. But you can have discs that swap out for each character?

Huh, a little odd that they didn't have a female character that can go into the Spider-Man world (or I guess technically they can with Black Widow?)

I mean, they do have a "token girl" with White Tiger on the show. I don't watch it much, but she's pretty prominant:

c7ba3f6c55ddd917ab768a217dd0c1d8.jpg

Edit: Also Iron Fist without Power Man is a bit odd.

Iron_Man_with_White_Tiger.jpg

Marvel got every Guardian in including a secondary character like freaking Yondu(who nobody wanted and will warm pegs),
but couldn't be bothered to let a main character from the show the playset is based on be playable as well.

Neoxon

Iron_Man_with_White_Tiger.jpg

Marvel got every Guardian in including a secondary character like freaking Yondu(who nobody wanted and will warm pegs),
but couldn't be bothered to let a main character from the show the playset is based on be playable as well.
You realize that Yondu was a scene-stealer & one of the biggest surprise hits of GotG, right? Not to mention that he'll have a bigger role in the sequel. Don't underestimate Yondu.

fernoca

That part I know. But in terms of disc/base compatibility and stuff.

I assumed each "disc" acted as a memory card for each character. But you can have discs that swap out for each character?
If by "discs" you mean the pieces of plastic with a sticker, those are just to unlock extra items (the circular ones give additional abilities to characters).

The figures are the "memory cards", in that the data (like levels, etc.) are stored in there so you can se them across any version. You swap them as you play, but in playsets you're locked to figures of that world, in the Toy Box you swap them at will.

Figures from the first game can be used in the Toy Box in this one, but not vice versa. Playsets from the first game only unlock items in this game, not the actual playable worlds.

Apparently this is coming out on Vita some time next year. I'm curious how that's going to be.
Apparently, will be the same as the console version. Unlike the disaster of 3DS version last year.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the Toy Box only.

You realize that Yondu was a scene-stealer & one of the biggest surprise hits of GotG, right? Not to mention that he'll have a bigger role in the sequel. Don't underestimate Yondu.

I liked Yondu because I liked the actor, he isn't a bad character or anything he was just unneeded for Infinity.
Kids aren't going to be buying him enough to make it worth it, especially with him releasing in Jan-March.

Meanwhile White Tiger is the #2 on Ultimate Spiderman cartoon and isn't playable.
Ultimate Spiderman is going strong and in it's 3rd season which will still be going for a while now.

Spiderman set seems really halfassed while the others at least complete and go beyond the core cast.

Awe, crap. The Amazon bundle that I ordered won't arrive until Thursday. I wonder what's up.

I've been hearing a lot about Amazon orders not looking like they'll arrive on time. It looks like it effects the bundle packs more than the orders where everything is separate.

fernoca

actually seems worse than the first in everything besides the toybox.
Yep. Seems it was a mix of rushing things and try to get into the Marvel/Avengers hype...and throwing Guardians in there as a movie tie-in; and then GotG been a success.

Friend says performance in coop on PS4 is really bad...but that it looks nice and clean at 1080p (though many textures and geometry is just bad).

As other people and reviews mentioned, the GotG playset managed to be the worst of the 3, because even though you do the same in all 3 (pick up batteries, defeat hordes of enemies), the personalities of the characters are not there.

Also that the "minigames" in the Toy Box seem to be more fun than the Marvel playsets. That the playsets while "open world" seem to be lifeless and boring. That there was more to do in the original/included 3 Disney 1.0 playsets, than in the 3 from this, of which you have to buy 2. Made even worse by 1.0 having 3 additional playsets (Cars, Lone Ranger and Toy Story) that were even better than the included ones (jokingly added that Lone Ranger is better than GotG...at least on something :p).

Friend ended teling me that for someone looking for a "Marvel for my kids" kind of game, that Lego Marvel is just a better game and offers more content. That most should just get that and get the Toy Box edition later, since it's improved, has more stuff and actual/varied goals; plus the figures look nice.

I think as long as they want this to be an annualized series without switching developers every other year or getting other studios involved for a longer period of time to do the play sets that Infinity will always be disappointing compared to what could be.

I've yet to play the game but a lot of the complaints about the Play Sets seem similar to the complaints of last year, its repetitive. The complaints about it being empty sort of surprise me as I found most of the play sets from last year to be pretty sparse in their open areas as well. I'm hoping that this is from people actually expecting more than having less citizens around than in The Incredibles or Monster University sets.

I've now heard people call the GotG set both the best and worst play set in the game which makes me think opinion is going to be pretty divided on most of the sets like last year.

Mine says Tuesday.

Mine too, currently "shipping now".

That's good. Perhaps it was just people over reacting that Amazon hadn't shipped early. I've never had a problem getting release date delivery from them myself.

Neoxon

I liked Yondu because I liked the actor, he isn't a bad character or anything he was just unneeded for Infinity.
Kids aren't going to be buying him enough to make it worth it, especially with him releasing in Jan-March.

Meanwhile White Tiger is the #2 on Ultimate Spiderman cartoon and isn't playable.
Ultimate Spiderman is going strong and in it's 3rd season which will still be going for a while now.

Spiderman set seems really halfassed while the others at least complete and go beyond the core cast.
It's probably Marvel focusing on what's big in the MCU.

Dragoshi1

Okey dokey, my Premium value bundle JUST shipped out, best part is I live in Florida, and that's where it shipped out from, so I will have it tomorrow! Feels good.

BONDO

Huge fan of the first and bait disappointed in this edition from what i see(Playset wise)
Really seems like an expansion 2.0 than a sequel imo.

That being said, I'm really excited to get this for the"kids"...but this time around with my experience from last year and seeing how often these bad boys go on sale, I'm gonna wait.
Black Friday this will likely be $39-$49 and tons of deals on figures. By Xmas i will have everything released up to that point for sure.

Movie-wise, no, Marvel is definitely kicking DC's ass at the moment.

Game-wise, yes, DC has the upper hand.

obviously they are doing incredible with their movies I just mean use of characters in general.
This is part of the reason Marvel is having trouble with everything besides the movies.

Like Killer Frost for example was really a nobody but DC is pushing her hard despite not being in a movie(Injustice, Suicide Squad DTV, now a main character in the Flash tv series).

Neoxon

obviously they are doing incredible with their movies I just mean use of characters in general.
This is exactly why Marvel is having trouble with everything besides the movies.

Like Killer Frost for example was really a nobody but DC is pushing her hard despite not being in a movie(Injustice, Suicide Squad DTV, now a main character in the Flash tv series).
I'll agree on the X-Men/Fantastic Four front, both of which are franchises Marvel is pushing into obscurity. Overall, Marvel's focus character-wise is very MCU-focused.
Hopefully that black-domed piece of shit Kid Nova isn't in the MCU. If he is, it better be a tiny cameo behind the true Nova, Richard Rider.

I'll agree on the X-Men/Fantastic Four front, both of which are franchises Marvel is pushing into obscurity. Overall, Marvel's focus character-wise is very MCU-focused.
Hopefully that black-domed piece of shit Kid Nova isn't in the MCU. If he is, it better be a tiny cameo behind the true Nova, Richard Rider.
Lol, agree.

yea my kid is all over those GotG guys but gives zero fucks for Yondu or Nick Fury, whatever...saves me 26 dollars lol

He wants Winter Soldier not Cap also...haha

Chairhome

Gabe (penny arcade) has made me feel better about the game. http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/09/22/disney-infinity-marvel-super-heroes
gabe said:
There’s no shortage of reviews out there that break down all the new features and that’s not really what I’m good at. I can tell you that the newly enhanced combat is a blast, the skill trees are robust and make me want to level up my character. The new Play Sets are also really fun. It’s true that the missions pretty much just ask you to beat stuff up but the fact is I love beating shit up in this game and so I was happy to do it. Each time I was told to go wreck a bunch of Frost Giants I was excited to do it. Here’s the thing though. I wasn’t doing it alone. I was doing it with my wife and that absolutely effects my experience. Each time Kara unlocked a new power with Iron man she got excited. We played the Avengers Play Set together while my 10 year old and I played the Guardians of the Galaxy Play Set. When I say I love this game I’m not just saying I love the game, I’m saying I love the experiences I had playing with my family.

Gabe was playing as a rotating cast of villains and creating a little story for Noah who was playing the good guys. They were creating their own adventure. “Venom captured a police officer and took them to the top of the tallest building Noah!, You have to come rescue him!” I heard Gabe say as I walked into the family room. I don’t know how you “review” that. What number do you assign to the experience of cuddling with your kids in your pajamas on a Sunday morning and playing a game together?

LosDaddie

Banned
That being said, I'm really excited to get this for the"kids"...but this time around with my experience from last year and seeing how often these bad boys go on sale, I'm gonna wait.
Black Friday this will likely be $39-$49 and tons of deals on figures
. By Xmas i will have everything released up to that point for sure.

You think that'll happen again this year? I was about to pre-order the game, but if there were BF & Xmas sales last year on the game, I may just wait for that.

EDIT: Just looking for a fun game to play with my 6yo daughter. Her & I enjoyed Lego Marvel on PS4

Man went to Walmart to pick up a few 1.0 characters I missed out on(Anna, Rapunzel, etc)
Man probably 20 Woodys, 10 Jack Skellingtons, 10 Annas and more have sold in the last 2 days at normal price in a low traffic Walmart.

Guess 2.0 hype?

I am picking up these tomorrow at Best Buy

PS4 collector's edition with free Guardians of the Galaxy play set at Best Buy tomorrow.
Rocket
Groot
Drax
Spider-Man playset
Nick Fury
Iron Fist
Venom
Couple of power discs packs

I enjoyed most of the play sets in 1.0. Incredible was one of my favorites and this is just more super heroes. So I am in.

Ecto311

Can you use the characters from the second game on the first game in some way? Do they even work or is there some kind of skylanders cash grabbery going on here.

Disney site shows that it could only work with play sets but didn't specify about the toys individually. Also the OP shows there is a $30 game? So I could get the digital game/hard copy(?) then just get the units and use the same pad from the first game?

Motherfucker this is complicated - the 360 pad does not work with the Xbox one either it seems. Too bad I can't use the kinect and a QR code under the unit to show kinect what I want to use and ditch the stupid pad all together in some way.

Can you use the characters from the second game on the first game in some way? Do they even work or is there some kind of skylanders cash grabbery going on here.

New characters work in the new game, old characters work in both.

From reading the few impressions I could find of the midnight openings at Toys R Us/Walmart things went as expected, meaning almost no one showed up to buy a primarily children's focused game at midnight before a school day.

Plan on picking up:

Starter pack w/ free Captain America
GotG play set w/ 2 free power disc packs
Spider-Man play set w/ 2 free disc packs
Venom
Rocket
Groot
And probably a couple more packs of discs.

Tom_Cody

I will be watching the reviews and WoM for this very closely. I am eager to buy into this whole thing but only if it's worth playing through the singleplayer experiences.

Top Bottom