• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

The trailer is awesome. I am actually pumped.
Feel some Saiyuki vibe, but that can only mean good. The must have picked that up with the research for Enslaved.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
don't expect the combat to live up to the dmc pedigree, but it looks kinda rad, england > japan

soldat7

Acidote said:
A friend of mine just did this:

nd3AX.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

This is such a ridiculously risky move. They've basically kissed away the half million sales they would normally pull in Japan. Heavenly Sword sold under 40k copies, which is less than what DMC4 sold on the 360 in Japan.

This might rejuvenate sales in the West, but man, the sales weren't that bad. Considerably higher than Heavenly Sword. And now to make up for Japan they're going to pretty much have to quadruple the sales they pulled on Heavenly Sword.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Trailer wasn't half bad, really. If it played smoothly while looking like that at 60 fps, I'd be happy. I suspect it will probably end up running at 30 fps with slowdown and fail to match the quality of gameplay found in previous DMCs (and not even coming remotely close to Bayonetta).

ToD_

All the media is blocked at work, so far (except for the Pattinson shopped picture, haha). I'm curious!

yurinka

Fersis said:
Moar like GAF Will Cry amirite?
Confirmed. So the game will sell more than the previous one :lol

V_Arnold said:
Especially since DMC was never about japanese enviroments :)
I remember they mentioned some Spanish castle from middleage in a DMC1 interview, and some DMC4 buildings are crearly inspired in some buildings from Barcelona.

Shito

Draft said:
Alright.

I don't want to just unilaterally shit on this thing based on a few screens and a trailer. That's too Gamer. But, what is with the slow as animations in the trailer? I realize that it's just CG or some heavily post processed in engine canned animations, and not indicative of gameplay, but jeez. When he runs up to the three monsters and starts shooting? He's moving like Gears speed. When he's spinning the monsters around on his sword/whip/scythe thing? Very slow and deliberate.

That, if nothing else, is so far from what I'm looking for in a DMC game.
I agree with this: this trailer could be "not so bad" if not for the mushiness of it all. And that was a CG trailer, mind you, which makes me think the game won't be as nervous as it should.
I expect HS² in a (shitty) DMC skin.

Draft said:
Alright.

I don't want to just unilaterally shit on this thing based on a few screens and a trailer. That's too Gamer. But, what is with the slow as animations in the trailer? I realize that it's just CG or some heavily post processed in engine canned animations, and not indicative of gameplay, but jeez. When he runs up to the three monsters and starts shooting? He's moving like Gears speed. When he's spinning the monsters around on his sword/whip/scythe thing? Very slow and deliberate.

That, if nothing else, is so far from what I'm looking for in a DMC game.

I was thinking the same after wtaching the video, Dante is slow as fucking Kratos...instead of being fast like Bayonetta or Ryu...there's your western touch, guys!!.

:lol

Well, this is what people get after complaining about Devil May Cry 4. That was a great game and people bitched and moaned just because you didn't play Dante for the whole game and a few repeating boss battles.

Well, now we Dante for a whole game. YAAAAY!

Eccocid

wouw kick ass trailer! i loved the new dante actually.
Probably he is not eal dante a clone from an experiment? lol

dslgunstar said:

Well, this is what people get after complaining about Devil May Cry 4. That was a great game and people bitched and moaned just because you didn't play Dante for the whole game and a few repeating boss battles.

I loved DMC4. I bought it twice.

Yoboman

Yeah seriously, what is with Capcom's aversion to putting in the Dante people like into their DMC games?

It's like they are constantly trying to "freshen" it up by not using the main character as he was in the first game

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
dslgunstar said:

Two bad games don't make a right

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
This is such a ridiculously risky move. They've basically kissed away the half million sales they would normally pull in Japan. Heavenly Sword sold under 40k copies, which is less than what DMC4 sold on the 360 in Japan.

This might rejuvenate sales in the West, but man, the sales weren't that bad. Considerably higher than Heavenly Sword. And now to make up for Japan they're going to pretty much have to quadruple the sales they pulled on Heavenly Sword.
i dont see how this design change will rejuvenate any sales. the new character design looks way too emo for the western audience. they usually like bald space marines and not emo kids.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I was thinking the same after wtaching the video, Dante is slow as fucking Kratos...instead of being fast like Bayonetta or Ryu...there's your western touch, guys!!.
Hyperactive gameplay and nonsense characters from the east has always been something everybody loved.

Xater

dslgunstar said:

I only complained about the repition and always said that I enjoyed it. That's what we get because of the haters. :(

Well probbly not only because of them, but also because Capcom went crazy.

zoukka

Theme-wise nothing is lost guys. There was nothing great in the DMC lore or characters. Every iteration introduced new shit sidekicks and I'd say Nero is a much worse design than Punk Dante.

Now financially I'm not sure if this was a good decision or not. We'll see, but I'm leaning towards positive vibes about this game. Just because trying new things is good.

Jocchan said:
Plot twist shoehorned after the fan outrage: this guy is just convinced to be Dante, but after a short tutorial the real Dante kicks in, cuts the kid in half, and replaces him as the real protagonist.
Which is so strange because that's what we all said for DMC 4. We originally (well I did) thought that Nero was a younger Dante. Why isn't his hair white? I didn't assume Dante was old a shit; he and Virgil had white hair. Of course you can't have a young guy with old guy hair so....

Haha

Fuck

Fuck this shit.

Haha

Devil May Cry is dead. RIP 2001-2008.

Haha

Inafune wasn't kidding when he said it was gonna have more Western touch. Hipster? Smoking?

His coat looks so fucking terrible. His face is terrible. The whole redesign is just fucking terrible. You mean people complained when Cole was redesigned for InFamous 2? Congratulations Capcom, you just broke the even-number curse in a bad way.

I mean seriously, if you take out "DmC" and "Capcom" from the trailer, NO ONE can tell it's Devil May Cry, and NO ONE will even call the guy Dante.

I liked it.

Then again, I hated what little of DMC4 I played (my only experience).

This is the Dante you all loved, right?

images

Now THAT is emo as fuck. Purists piss me off for some reason. This game looks more fun to play than the other DMCs.

zoukka

farnham said:
i dont see how this design change will rejuvenate any sales. the new character design looks way too emo for the western audience. they usually like bald space marines and not emo kids.

It's genre dependant dude.

Wallach

Just watched the trailer. They're going to take an Assassin's Creed angle to this shit and I will flip a fucking desk when it happens. Just wanted to mark this down for future reference.

Skilotonn said:
I'm no DMC fan, but I'll be around again when the people all mad in here will make a 180 when there's actually more of a game to judge than some screenshots and art.

You guys never learn - as if Dante was the pinnacle of great design - bra-belt, chaps, cowboy boots? The sword's design? Let's be real.

Just watch. :lol

farnham said:

I'd say the new design will probably help sales more in Japan than in the west. They love emo, girly boys over there.

That was part of what made Dante so refreshing. He was just unequivocally 'macho', in that rock star kind of way. Completely self-absorbed, totally aloof, and of course, completely badass once the **** hit the fan.

I want an HD collection for the first 3 DMC games. Hell, **** it, just give me a complete remake of the original game (still the best IMO).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Aside from the smoking I thought the trailer looked really good and the protagonist seems pretty distinctive. Also it seems there's a vague totalitarian "nanny state" vibe going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom