• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

KevinCow

Banned
Does the price of yellow orbs ever max out, or does it keep increasing infinitely? Because DMD is pretty tough.

Edit: Tops out at 2,000.

remz

What version is better PC or on the PS3?
Is there a high res textures pack for the PC?

PC.And the PC already has hi res textures apparently...

Probably something to do with a
full awakening, blah blah. I do know that Dante's trademark white hair in the original universe was meant to be representative of his demonic heritage, but here it seems that the initial black coloring is supposed to be opposite to Vergil's white hair in order to further convey the contrast in their personalities. I have no idea why they shoehorned it to all of a sudden resemble the DMC universe in the ending of the game; to me that seems just as unnecessary as the writers not actually doing anything with Dante/Vergil's angelic side.
I say if you're going to make this a full-fledged reboot then at least do something with the qualities that make it distinct, you know?

The more I talk about this game, the more I find myself in the mood to go dust off DMC3 and boot that shit up. Best in the series, no doubt.
It has the same meaning here.
The first white patch in his hair appears when he unlocks his DT and the final whiteness happens after he fully uses his DT powers to slap the shit out of Vergil in the last boss fight. It still represents demonic heritage.

Like yeah they could have explained it better, I guess especially in a game with so much wordy exposition elsewhere, but I got what they were getting at.

Agree about the angelic stuff being ignored though. Guess demon powers are just stronger. Or maybe they're saving it for the sequel.

KevinCow

Banned
I wish this game was better about prioritizing certain attacks to certain enemies. Like if there's a flying baby with a shield and some dudes on the ground, if I jump up in the air and demon grapple, I'm obviously going for the baby. Yet the game frequently grapples the guys on the ground instead. Same thing with guns and harpies.

Gbraga

Yoooo

DMC-DevilMayCry-2013-02-09-00-46-29-443.jpg

I'm gonna use this one right now.

EDIT: Not as good as I imagined :(

Wonko_C

Speaking of the patch of
white hair
I thought it was an annoying texture glitch until the very end, LOL.

Dahbomb

I wish this game was better about prioritizing certain attacks to certain enemies. Like if there's a flying baby with a shield and some dudes on the ground, if I jump up in the air and demon grapple, I'm obviously going for the baby. Yet the game frequently grapples the guys on the ground instead. Same thing with guns and harpies.
It does prioritize flying enemies just not enough. Just another inconvenience of not having manual lock along with the inability to see health.

liezryou

I finally bit on this game considering how bad people are saying aliens is. Also got it for 20$ with costume dlc, thanks to renjility (highly recommend those of you who are waiting for an official price drop to contact him). Now to wait forever for the dl >.>. I swear ever since i switched to PC gaming, buying games has been so much easier because of DD and the DD prices.

SystemBug

ninja costume dante, something in the vain of Ryu hayabusa. His neo dante costume was awesome and needed a mask.
Alright. I started on it I think I have pretty cool idea where to take it.

However it's kinda hard to see what your doing when I don't have model file to work with (Neo Dante) so it might take longer + I haven't done this in years but its getting me interested again

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the game. It completely surpassed my expectations. Superb work from Ninja Theory. Shame there were some many debates about the design choices. This is a really polished, big budget action game.

Anteater

Just a few more missions to get SSS, and then kill 5000 demons.

I'm tired of the campaign :(

Nephilim's enemy placements isn't really that annoying at least to get SSS, it's just all the stupid cutscene skipping.

I was close to getting 5000 demons killing after beating HaH.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Yeah a no cutscene mode would have been nice.

Wouldn't be surprised if some ini edits can get rid of the prerendered cutscenes, in game ones are surely here to stay.

Dahbomb

I tried to copy/paste my save files on a different computer with DmC installed but it didn't work for me. Seems like it's an issue unless someone wants to give me more specific directions.

Its likely going to ship 1.2 million in less than one month released. Thats 72,000,000 in gross revenue in a month. Net profit is likely still severely less, maybe even less than half going by an article I read on how much money from a shipped game actually goes to the publisher, but you have something still at around 35,000,000 USD.

Not hitting early sales expectatations on one title, doesn't indicate that a company is in trouble or Doomed. Honestly it would kind of be silly to assume that to begin with.

Deitus

In this weeks Bombcast, Patrick and Brad went on and on about a specific "moment" in this game, but refused to elaborate on what that moment was. They specifically compared it to Asura's Wrath, and then said that moment would pretty much sell someone on this game, but that it was so good they didn't want to spoil it. Supposedly it was one of those "you'd know it when you see it" things. Apparently it showed the "depths of ridiculousness" of this game.

Anyone know what they were talking about?

Hachimaki

Bought the game for PC last night. I was a bit hesitant at first about PC controls, but they aren't as bad as I thought they were. I probably will invest in a converter so I can use my 360 controller.

I know Capcom are keeping up the whole "bad boy" persona for Dante, but those first opening sequences with him just really put me off. I think my 15 year old self would find the strip club and naked Dante entertaining, but personally it's ridiculous.

The cut scenes aside I'm still enjoying it.

Dahbomb

Its likely going to ship 1.2 million in less than one month released. Thats 72,000,000 in gross revenue in a month. Net profit is likely still severely less, maybe even less than half going by an article I read on how much money from a shipped game actually goes to the publisher, but you have something still at around 35,000,000 USD.
Nice table cloth calculations there which don't factor in the dynamics of the outsourcing or how Capcom had to pay for various trips to market this game at various events without even including the cost for this game's 3 year development cycle along with how they had too cut down their own expectations for the game after the initial lack of demand.

I wasn't saying Capcom or NT are doomed as companies but they can't be making a huge return from this IF it's a big budget game (which means in today's age at least 50 million budget). I am not even saying that it is big budgeted but after Capcom slashed sales expectations by half I can't imagine them being pleased with the performance. I mean they weren't exactly ecstatic about an internally developed game selling 2.7 million...

Deitus

Not hitting early sales expectatations on one title, doesn't indicate that a company is in trouble or Doomed. Honestly it would kind of be silly to assume that to begin with. I also don't understand how he would care anyway that capcom is in trouble because its a big budget game, he's gotten his enjoyment out of the title.

Well since Ninja Theory was contracted to work on this game, I assume they have already been paid for their work on this game (at least operating costs, not necessarily profit share or bonuses if they are even entitled to that). Since they were never the one footing the bill for this project, their existence as a company was never hinged on the profit margins of this game. Still, after the third time where they have developed a game for a large publisher, and fell well short of sales targets and failed to attract an audience, that has to have an impact on future projects. Certainly this time they don't have the excuse that Namco sent them out to die and failed to promote their game. Capcom may or may not allow them to stick with the series, but if they ever want to create a new IP, I have to imagine a large publisher is going to be skeptical about working with them.

Not that I wish NT to go out of business or anything. I think its clear that they have talents, they just hadn't been playing to their talents in the past. In a lot of ways, this partnership with Capcom was just what they needed as a company. It just failed to appeal to me as a customer.

It's the Bob Barbas fight. He even confirmed it on the GB thread.

That's disappointing. They were getting my hopes up for some amazing moment, and its just a fairly uninteresting boss fight that had already been shown in gameplay demos months before the game released. But I guess it had flashy colors, so that's something.

edit - Whoops, fail at formatting.

Anteater

I really have no idea what's so good about bob. Dude just sits there.

He's the only stage I get SSS on all difficulties on first try.

He does nothing.

Endo Punk

TheyLive.jpg

Someone needs to mod Roddy Piper in. This game gave me the urge to watch They Live again and it's such a great popcorn film, that's how you do a story with social commentary. Just have fun with it. DmC tone shifts like mad and it just becomes a mess.

Working on a video review of the game and, in the process of gathering footage, I'm surprised by how many cutscene interruptions there are.

I guess I never noticed until I tried to skip them.

Dahbomb

Someone posted a synopsis of the Chronicles of Vergil.

SMH.... I am thinking of giving my Vergin avatar an early retirement.

Nice table cloth calculations there which don't factor in the dynamics of the outsourcing or how Capcom had to pay for various trips to market this game at various events without even including the cost for this game's 3 year development cycle along with how they had too cut down their own expectations for the game after the initial lack of demand.

I wasn't saying Capcom or NT are doomed as companies but they can't be making a huge return from this IF it's a big budget game (which means in today's age at least 50 million budget). I am not even saying that it is big budgeted but after Capcom slashed sales expectations by half I can't imagine them being pleased with the performance. I mean they weren't exactly ecstatic about an internally developed game selling 2.7 million...
Don't you also have to give 25% of your sales to Epic if you license UE3 for your game...

Riposte

The way Barbas laughs along with this music was funny to me. So silly. It reminded me of Brain Age. It was a neat fight as far as gimmicky ones go, but it is pretty crazy to hype it up. I also think the area before it, while cool, was slightly spoiled by playing Kid Icarus: Uprising...

The boss in the club has way too much health. Took me while to figure out I should save DT until the damage I do actually matters. I ended up dying a few times from the boss just outlasting me (I don't use items) and it ate up too much time for what was a rather boring boss.

Boss fights are altogether rather weak. However that aside, there are plenty of interesting "elite" enemies to fight. You guys made it sound like that wasn't the case. If someone were to make the argument that (outside bosses) the enemy design is better here than DMC3 I could believe that. The color gimmick stuff is a nuisance, but I don't pay it much mind. Overall I'm having fun, but really crappy bosses and a tad bit too much platforming (or just walking, jesus) bums me out.

Haha, it is funny comparing this game to Heavenly Sword. That game is so supremely shitty yet here we have a competent action game from the same dev. Like hell freezing over or something.

EDIT: I think the whole system of angel/devil weapons tied to the shoulders is kind of busted. It just confuses my brain. Maybe I'm retarded, but I still fuck it up sometimes. The worse is when I push circle instead of square after switching from angel to devil.

EDIT: Is a maxed out "Drive" attack the best way to deal damage? Seems like it.

EDIT: On Donte and Vagisil: This Dante is fine. Vergil is just awful. They are both "acted" well, but compared to Dante Vergil's character is just lame. He isn't smart, he isn't bold, he isn't noble or evil. He has no presence and it bugs the hell out of me.

Were you really expecting anything else after the massive shitstorm of hatred that's been directed at this game ever since it was announced?

If it wasn't called Devil May Cry, the public perception would've been pretty much the exact opposite. Of course, you'd still have the DMC fanbase popping in and screaming about how it's crap and awful and the worst thing ever because it's not DMC3 or Bayonetta, as they tend to do with pretty much any western-developed combat game; see God of War, Batman, Darksiders, or whatever. But they'd have been ignored as the crazy obsessives that they really are, allowing the discussion about this game to consist of more than frothing rage.

considering the majority of people contributing to this thread are long time DMC vets, im going to conclude this post is full of shit.

Furthermore there is a big difference in saying that a game doesn't have the combat depth as the holy trinity and saying that western games are crap and awful. Its funny you even attempt to draw an analogy as every game you listed are action/adventure games rather than pure action.

In closing, keep your shitty strawmen to yourself please. The DMC fanbase is not a singular entity anymore than GAF is. It is perfectly reasonable to not like elements of this game, in its development and the final product, but still think its a good game. Likewise its perfectly reasonable to not like what it is as a Devil May Cry title.

Someone posted a synopsis of the Chronicles of Vergil.

SMH.... I am thinking of giving my Vergin avatar an early retirement.

in fairness all DMC supplementary material is bad but yeah..

Kat seriously must have some good pussy, either that or the smell of residual squirrel semen is a the greatest aphrodisiac to a nephillim

least we got penile spiral swords.

Anteater

Boss fights are altogether rather weak. However that aside, there are plenty of interesting "elite" enemies to fight. You guys made it sound like that wasn't the case. If someone were to make the argument that (outside bosses) the enemy design is better here than DMC3 I could believe that. The color gimmick stuff is a nuisance, but I don't pay it much mind. Overall I'm having fun, but really crappy bosses and a tad bit too much platforming (or just walking, jesus) bums me out.

Normal enemies are definitely more fun to fight than the bosses, the bosses are fucking garbage, lol.

Well some normal enemies.

Veelk

Banned
The comic or the DLC? Where?
From IGN

************MAJOR SPOILERS************

DexterXS from IGN said:
Spoilers ahoy, for those wishing to experience the highs and lows (mostly the latter) of the DmC prequel manga/comic "Chronicles of Vergil" for themselves.

Some of you will remember I used to be quite the custodian of DMC canon back in the day, so for me it's a funny little twist on my former role to provide the board a run down of some external "DMC" media... not to explain how it makes sense and fits properly into a consistent timeline or universe, but to show just how stupid and nonsensical the backstory of rebooted DmC is after all. A lot of talk recently where people try to analyse or explain or understand the motivations and rules and history of DmC, well, I wouldn't bother.

CoV Synopsis:

Like the DMC3 manga, it takes place one year before the game (DmC) .. although hilariously the text actually says "one year later" when it's clearly in the past.

Dante is currently incarcerated in "Hellfire Prison" being tormented by demons (they tease him about being an orphan but apparently don't know he is Spardas son, which is revealed later) at this time he doesn't have Rebellion, it "awakes" along with a pre-recorded psychic voicemail from Sparda which explains he hid the sword inside Dante.. bit more "realistic" than giving two brainwashed 8 year olds demonic swords I suppose. Dante then breaks out of Hellfire Prison killing lots of demons in the process.

Vergil's current goal is breaking Dante out of Hellfire Prison, as he doesn't know Dante has escaped and is running on the myth "no one escapes Hellfire Prison". He blows up a truck of Virility at a free sampling, and Kat and her friends are nearby so get inexplicably arrested as accomplices.

Kat ends up in a human prison. At this point she is still having her "dreams" aka unintentionally travelling to Limbo where a demon torments her. After 2 days Vergil breaks into the prison and talks her into letting him into her dream/Limbo, where he kills the demon, which has apparently been doing stuff to her since she was in foster care. He gives her the full exposition treatment, demons, Limbo blah blah and then escapes via Limbo, leaving her behind because only demons and astral forms can travel through Limbo

He explains that he can create new rifts into Limbo (cuts through reality with Yamato) but can't find existing rifts, which is where she comes in .. creating new ones sounds more useful than finding old ones, but I guess some areas are rift proof so he needs the existing doors?
The demons reasonably take Vergils visit as evidence she is working with Vergil as they assumed, and transfer her to Hellfire Prison.. which is seemingly what Vergil intended all along. Vergil tells Kat to find Dante in Hellfire and then let him in to rescue him/them.

Up to this point Vergil has been playing the mysterious supportive idealistic hero role and Kat has already started to worship the ground he walks on (despite him landing her in two increasingly awful demonic jails) however he gets irritated when she is unable to endure the tortures of Hellfire and calls him before she finds Dante. When she finds out Dante has already escaped, the mention of even Dantes name sends the demons into a killing frenzy and she calls Vergil again to save her.

Arrogantly dispatching the low level demons and at first enjoying being the hero, Vergil is shocked Dante isn't there, and when the powerful "Onyx" demons turn up, he is enraged Kat called him, terrified by the Onyx' reputation. In his rage and fear, he blurts out that there is no way out in the human world, revealing he intended to leave her there to die when he rescued Dante. Kat works this out, but seems to forgive him when he mans up and takes on the Onyx afterall, using that doppleganger trick from his boss battle.

Kat saves them both using her astral powers (which work in Hellfire) and they travel to Hellfires "brain" which seems to work like Bob Barbas, a big digital psychic demonic network. Kat searches the brain for "footage" of Dantes escape, and Vergil finds out about Rebellion and Dante, who apparently used his DT to escape. However in finding this out, they also reveal Dante as the son of Sparda to the demons. Vergil is ok with this, as the demons will locate him quicker than Vergil could solo.

[AND HERE IS WHERE IT GETS REALLY HILARIOUSLY TERRIBLE]

Despite planning to let her be tortured and killed just five minutes ago, Vergil now decides he can't leave Kat behind. He claims it is because he needs her for her powers, but is clearly distressed at leaving her behind, and then kisses her. As the Onyx show up again, he refuses to run and activates his own DT, destroying them for daring to harm Kat. The same guy who was irritated earlier she couldn't hold up under torture is now "KAT? ARE YOU ALRIGHT?", and offers to DT again to rescue them, but Kat says that she could sense with her psychic powers that the DT would consume his humanity if he ever uses it again. ...ok.

They escape a different way (every human captive currently in Hellfire dies in the process), and Vergil muses that their mutual feelings for each other are too dangerous because they might overwhelm him and push him to DT to protect her again, and thus his darkness would consume him. He decides it's for the best that he wipe BOTH their memories, just like Sparda did for him, to avoid that happening.

DmC takes place 3 months later.

What IS it with this Kat girl eh?Both Sparda sons fall for her at the absolute drop of a hat. You want to talk about sudden heel turns, this makes Vergils end of game revelation seem like small fry. He fell in LOVE with her? And if he uses his DT again he'll lose his humanity? And he can selectively wipe memories like Sparda can? Including his OWN memory? Sort of like Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for demon hunters.

It's also ironic that he is a completely callous asshat without the character development of caring for Kat, and yet he feels that is preferable to the "darkness" that using his DT risks.

Trivia:
Oddly Hellfire Prison is apparently a giant icy frozen cave in both reality and Limbo, and demons appear in what appears to be their literal forms here, Kat explains that it's one giant rift between worlds.

Mundus' Kyle Rider identitys company is called "Silver Sacks" .. obvious crude pun on Goldman Sachs of course, as well as just general swag $ bags.

Vergil says that psychics like Kat can only leave their bodies in astral form for a short time before they die, so it might throw a spanner in the works as to how she got the blueprint of Mundus' entire building while captive there in DmC

Vergil has a similarly lame sense of bravado humour as Dante, saying things like "pleased to see me Kat?" and "bring it on, big ugly worm!" but his pathetic cowardly streak rears it's head when he is confronted with a more powerful enemy like the Onyx. I suppose you could argue that it's realism in contrast to Dantes assumption he can take anything head on, but it really comes off as defeatist and cowardly, especially in contrast to his arrogant elitism in other situations.

All things considered.. not as bad as the DMC4 novella?

Dahbomb

EDIT: Is a maxed out "Drive" attack the best way to deal damage? Seems like it.
Best damage dealers in the game are Trinity Smash, fully charged Snake Eyes and 6 stack Kablooey after that comes Perfect Drive. Perfect Drive is the best damage dealer at max range if you don't have the needles stacked. Revenant charged shot packs a punch too.

A full Feed Prop n Shredder does a lot of damage as well and it's a necessity when dealing with blue enemies in DMD.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In before somebody mandates you need to have played 380 hours of DMC3 and put up four youtube combo videos before you can comment on your experiences on an action game here on the DmC OT thread.

Persecution complex, ahoy. This is a relatively safe haven for DmC fans.

Too bad about that Vergil graphic novel. Doesn't sound particularly good.

Dahbomb

The comic at least explains how Vergil is able to travel through dimensions by literally cutting through them with his Yamato.

I guess they made a whole plot point from Vergil's Judgment Cut move in DMC3 where he seemingly cuts through dimensions for his attack.

that makes no sense.

A license to use middleware should be a single one off fee, it shouldn't be tied to the final product.

that has to be misinformation.
I read online that it's free until you make your first 50k after that you have to pay 25%. I couldn't believe it until I read it myself. Epic must be making huge bank from UE3.

The comic at least explains how Vergil is able to travel through dimensions by literally cutting through them with his Yamato.

I guess they made a whole plot point from Vergil's Judgment Cut move in DMC3 where he seemingly cuts through dimensions for his attack.

I read online that it's free until you make your first 50k after that you have to pay 25%. I couldn't believe it until I read it myself. Epic must be making huge bank from UE3.

you are right.

http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/licensing/commercial_license_terms/

Ouch. Moreso than DmC, that must mean that asura wrath was a really costly game for capcom. It defo didn't cover its costs and with the engine license terms, probably cost them a bunch of money.

No wonder they didn't lower the price.

And as Ive said before, Not lowering the DmC price soon will be disastrous to any future sales of the game. It could of have had a resurgence at 40 dollars, because there are plenty who would be willing to jump in who would love the game.

Right now, I think its only doing slightly better than Enslaved overall.

Guess Who

Banned
DMC3 manga is pretty good. Shows a darker side to the series while still retaining the flavor. And yea there has been no news about the DMC movie.

Also here's where I read about UE3:

http://www.macstories.net/tag/unreal-engine-3/

UDK commercial licensing is almost certainly not the same as what the big studios get. Big studios get different terms and a loooot more access to the internals of the engine than UDK gets you. It's the difference between making a Source mod and licensing the full engine from Valve.

Gbraga

Finally got all the achievements :)

And DAMN, the DmC they show in the concept arts is so much more interesting than the final game. I now kinda want a DmC 2 with more budget so they can do the crazy ass stuff from the concept arts.

I found DMC 1 really off-putting, with the getting stabbed by a sword in the chest all the time, really odd story, and having to button mash doors for them to open. I didn't like 3 much either.

This is the first DMC I really get into. I love the flow of the combat, the visuals, the soundtrack. It's almost as good as Bayonetta! I hope this game gets a sequel :)

*Yawn* i know i'm a broken record, but seriously, "Target market reached"..unfortunately for Ccopam that market is smaller than they realized.

Gbraga

I don't know man there are some terrible character designs in the concept arts as well.

Mission 12 was completely different (there is not a single concept of the Under Siege level we have), and looks like it would explore what we saw in the reveal trailer. There are also some pretty neat locations and enemies.

UDK commercial licensing is almost certainly not the same as what the big studios get. Big studios get different terms and a loooot more access to the internals of the engine than UDK gets you. It's the difference between making a Source mod and licensing the full engine from Valve.
Actually I think for big developers it says over 700k flat to license full UE3 with access to source code (guess 25% was for UDK only not UE3 access). But they don't cite any actual numbers for that license just estimates I guess?

http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines/unreal-engine-3

Seems like they are pretty secretive about it for some reason..

Top Bottom