• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Mike M

Nick N
I don't think I will ever get above a B combo :/
Still damn fun game.
It's just the learning curve. Once you've got the right weapons and upgrades, SSS is trivial. You'll get to the point where you're disappointed everyone died before you could get the rank that high.

---

I was playing DMC1 on the HD collection yesterday... Man, the game hasn't aged well. Granted I'm not very far in yet (Repeating the opening of Mission 4 over and over to farm Phantom for red orbs), but the camera angle jumps are pretty jarring. I seem to remember it opened up considerably once you left the castle, so hopefully the viewing angle jumping around sorts itself out once you get out of the tight spaces.

Combat seems maddeningly limited. Are there even air combos? Seems like a launcher is limited to staying grounded and shooting/slashing, or following them up into the air to do a helm breaker.

I loved this game back in the day, but man has the genre improved...

Khal_B

Looking forward to the strategies employed for the Rage demons. On DMD those were the only enemy types that really bothered me, but I think that probably had to do with me being too aggressive more than anything else. I usually just DT when I see them to Trinity Smash. Generally, I just demon dodge and then go in hard regardless of the enemy.

Mike M

Nick N
Looking forward to the strategies employed for the Rage demons. On DMD those were the only enemy types that really bothered me, but I think that probably had to do with me being too aggressive more than anything else. I usually just DT when I see them to Trinity Smash. Generally, I just demon dodge and then go in hard regardless of the enemy.

Round Trip solves the standard and Ghost Rage problems, but it's not exactly stylish. Blood Rages, I just demon dodge and trinity smash (But the second you dodge, any Round Trips you have out disappear, so be wary of Blood/Ghost rage pairings).

It's just the learning curve. Once you've got the right weapons and upgrades, SSS is trivial. You'll get to the point where you're disappointed everyone died before you could get the rank that high.

---

I was playing DMC1 on the HD collection yesterday... Man, the game hasn't aged well. Granted I'm not very far in yet (Repeating the opening of Mission 4 over and over to farm Phantom for red orbs), but the camera angle jumps are pretty jarring. I seem to remember it opened up considerably once you left the castle, so hopefully the viewing angle jumping around sorts itself out once you get out of the tight spaces.

Combat seems maddeningly limited. Are there even air combos? Seems like a launcher is limited to staying grounded and shooting/slashing, or following them up into the air to do a helm breaker.

DMC1 is more about just defeating your opponents. Also don't farm red orbs lol, sounds like a pretty bad time.

Khal_B

Round Trip solves the standard and Ghost Rage problems, but it's not exactly stylish. Blood Rages, I just demon dodge and trinity smash (But the second you dodge, any Round Trips you have out disappear, so be wary of Blood/Ghost rage pairings).

Yeah, it's the Ghost/Blood pairings that tend to screw me up a bit. What usually happens is that I get rid of the Blood Rage then the Ghost Rage takes forever to kill, especially with super armor. I mean I could just use DT and kill it, but using DT in this game makes me feel so cheap. Guess that's more of a personal issue.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, it's the Ghost/Blood pairings that tend to screw me up a bit. What usually happens is that I get rid of the Blood Rage then the Ghost Rage takes forever to kill, especially with super armor. I mean I could just use DT and kill it, but using DT in this game makes me feel so cheap. Guess that's more of a personal issue.

If it's just the Ghost Rage left, you just use Round Trip, slash them with Osiris for a bit, switch back to round trip before the first one ends, repeat. Takes for-fucking-ever, but they're relatively low risk.

I felt that way about Demon Dodge, not so much about the DT. Either way, I use the Arbiter's launcher to keep the Blood Rage in the air while working down the Ghost. It's best to keep their damage somewhat equal. Knocking the Blood in the air will give you about three seconds each time to put some damage into the Ghost with the angel weapon of your choosing (also use Aquila's round trip to supplement the lack of power they generally have). Provided the Ghost falls on schedule, by the time the Blood tries to go into his little 'fuck-you-im-super-rage' now, he should only be able to survive one standard combo from the Arbiter, if that.

Sephzilla

---

I think DMC1 has aged reasonably well, but it's a bit hard for me to go back and play it more or less because I think DMC3 rendered 1 a completely obsolete game.

Khal_B

If it's just the Ghost Rage left, you just use Round Trip, slash them with Osiris for a bit, switch back to round trip before the first one ends, repeat. Takes for-fucking-ever, but they're relatively low risk.

That's what irks me the most, that it takes so damn long to kill them with the angel weapons and they fall out of juggle combos. Damn color-coded enemies. I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy Vergil's Downfall so much, just slash away with the moves of your choice.

I felt that way about Demon Dodge, not so much about the DT

Yeah DD is definitely OP. DT coupled with DD is just ridiculous.

derFeef

Managed to get a SSS combo finally, no idea how exactly though. I like the Osiris - pulling enemies into the air and do the aerial attack with the follow up is damn fun. Sadly it's not doing any good dmg though. And I don't know how to use the fists properly, the tutorial tells me I can launch a tyrant with the charge int othe air but I only got it once, I guess I am too late with the release.

The presentation of this game is so fucking good.

Dahbomb

Stygians of all levels: They are cannon fodder enemies which means just go ham with your favorite weapons. Ideally a pack of them you want to use Aquila + Osiris. Build up the Feed of Osiris with either Raze or Pop N Shredder then pull enemies in with Buy In of Aquila then go to town with an air combo. Stygians are there for you to farm style points for the mission and to swag out. Parrying their attacks when they go Devil Trigger removes their DT.

Knights: Best to beat these with Demon weapons using Arbiter. Demon Pull pulls their shield back and stuns them for a bit, leaving them open for a charged Eryx attack. Long ranged Arbiter moves like Tremor are effective. Once you have them launched you can use any weapon you want and they basically act like Stygians.

Demon Knights: Use same strategy as regular Knights.

Frost Knights: Their shields are hard to break with Angel weapons. Use Pop n Shredder to break their shields then use Raze to launch them to quickly build your feed then go to town on them with a long aerial combo which is safe.

Pathos/Bathos: They die in 1-2 hits just Demon Pull them in twice and Slam them in the face with Eryx mid air or a couple of hits of Rebellion or a couple of Shotgun hits to the face. You want to eliminate these first in a group of enemies as they go down fast. You can parry back the grenade they throw at you which makes it explode in their face and do massive damage in a crowd if you want to risk it.

Ravager: The Yellow armor gives them super armor to everything except power moves. Power moves are the charged up moves like Raze, Drive, Eryx moves etc. Drive is the most effective against them as it's safe and it takes them out of their yellow state quickly. Charge the Drive up, release as many waves as you can then launch them in the air... don't let them drop to the floor.

Tyrant: They usually have an enraged and non-enraged form. The non enraged form is pretty easy, you just evade their slow charge attack get behind them and pull them with the Demon Pull. They will fall flat and you can go up to them and do a fully charged Eryx launcher. This will allow you to do a really long and safe air combo on it. When it gets back up again or after you drop the combo, it will get enraged. Usually it will go out of enraged after a while but to make him go out of enraged quickly, pin his back with Kablooey shots and explode it which will break it's enraged form faster. You can also use Ricoshot the same way.

Witch: You want to toss Round Trip at her shield to break it. When she has the Red swords up you want to pull them towards you and hit them back at her which will stun her instantly. Pop n Shredder also works up close AND it parries the red swords but it's riskier. Once you stun her go to town on her with your damaging combos. Avoid using Arbiter unless in a combo because every hit of Arbiter knocks her back and you will waste precious combo time on her. Rebellion and Eryx usually are preferred damage dealers on her when you have her disoriented.

Rage: Jump up, shoot with E&I to blind them then pull them with the Demon pull. This will allow you free combos on them all the time. Use Eryx slam to keep bouncing them around in the air while comboing them for max swag.

Blood Rage: Only vulnerable to demon weapons. Use a similar strategy as above. When in a pair with another Ghost Rage, you want to lock down the Ghost Rage with Round Trip while you go to town on the Blood Rage. Charged up Eryx moves are effective here but you have to be careful. If they go into enraged move, parry their Barrel Roll attack with a well timed charged Snake Eyes Eryx attack for solid damage.

Ghost Rage: When in a pair with a Blood Rage you want to lock down a Ghost Rage with Round Trip and save it for last. Pop n Shredder is an effective damage dealer against Ghost Rage and will allow you to get to Feed fast with Osiris so you can deal more damage. When it tries to do the Barrel Roll after being enraged, just use Pop n Shredder to parry him and stun him then launch it with a charged up Raze. Use Round Trip a lot to keep these enemies honest.

Harpies: Use Angel Pull to get towards them and then Shotgun to the face to break their wings. Then treat then like any other enemies. Be wary of their attacks especially the wind force field attack, dodge it in mid air then counter attack. When they lose their wings they are basically fodder enemies, go to town with whatever weapon you want.

Butcher: Stand far away from it and wait for it use it's long ranged saw attack. Use Pop n Shredder to parry the saws back at it. When he is stunned, charge up a full Eryx launcher to launch it in the air. Use basic combos to keep it afloat in the air but it is harder to combo than a Tyrant. Whenever it falls down and recovers, just stay far away and look for the parry opportunity again. Charged Eryx attacks are very effective on this enemy when he is grounded.

Dreamrunner: Lots of way to tackle this enemy. You want to play it safe until he uses his teleport, then charge up an Eryx Snake Eyes attack and hold it until he re-appears. This will do good damage and parry his attack, follow it up with a Demon Pull into Rebellion launcher and air combo. Be warned that you can't do long aerial combos on Dreamrunner so after a few hits in the air be ready to dodge and pull again. There are a few gimmicks you can use against the Dreamrunner if you want to creative like throw Flush, he parries it so you parry it back at him to stun him but it's best to just play it safe against him.

For every enemy that you can air combo... you can stack Kablooey shots on them by doing Kablooey shot -> Enemy step -> Kabloooey shot up to 6 times. Practice it on a dummy first... you can even do it on advance enemies like Dreamrunner. Once you have stacked up an enemy with Kablooey shots.... perform Buy In to pull all enemies in then explode for maximum AOE damage. This is a very effective tactic for clearing mobs of powerful enemies on the hardest difficulty.

Also every enemy attack should be dodged by using Demon Dodge (hold Demon stance, dodge right as you are about to get hit) which will power up your next few attacks dramatically. This will allow you to kill enemies faster. The damage buff applies to all your attacks. You can also use Devil Trigger right at the moment you Demon Dodge for a godly amount of damage. A Demon Dodge should be followed up by an Angel Dodge (even if you miss the initial timing) always for maximum mobility and evasion.

Mike M

Nick N
Witch: You want to toss Round Trip at her shield to break it. When she has the Red swords up you want to pull them towards you and hit them back at her which will stun her instantly. Pop n Shredder also works up close AND it parries the red swords but it's riskier. Once you stun her go to town on her with your damaging combos. Avoid using Arbiter unless in a combo because every hit of Arbiter knocks her back and you will waste precious combo time on her. Rebellion and Eryx usually are preferred damage dealers on her when you have her disoriented.

Addendum: Using Arbiter on a Witch that's locked down with Round Trip dramatically reduces knock back, allowing you to get more heavy hits. They have a habit of teleporting away in mid combo, I don't know if it's time, hit count, or damage that triggers it.

So I was checking out the gamespot review of DmC and they said the PS3 version has frame-rate issues, so much so they docked the overall score because of it. Any truth to it?

BIGWORM

Just finished Vergil's Downfall on PC. Though short, I enjoyed it. Definitely A LOT more finger gymnastics involved and a bigger movelist (IMO) than Dante made it a fulfilling experience. I've always loved Iaido (Japanese sheathed sword style), and Vergil didn't disappoint.

AEREC

Finished this tonight on PC...thought the story and gameplay was great, most levels were incredibly boring though. They were just big empty hallways that lacked detail...some of the limbo designs were fun though.

Started on Nephalim and thought the game was incredibly easy...guess ill be trying SoS soon...after Virgil's downfall.

Also
Bob Barbas
was probably one of the coolest boss fights ever.

AEREC

Anyone know how we'll this sold? Would love to see a sequel with more content.

Also is this a complete reboot or basically just another prequel that takes place earlier than DMC3.

Endo Punk

Also is this a complete reboot or basically just another prequel that takes place earlier than DMC3.

It's a reboot meant to replace the OG, recycles story and gameplay elements from DMC1, 3 and DMC4 should clue you in to the fact, unless you haven't played past games. As for sales it doesn't look good; Less then 150k in Japan, 187k in NA and Im not sure about EU but it either never charted or fell off the charts quick in most countries. I don't think it did even 100k. This is only the month of Jan and digital plus PC/Steam sales are not included, but considering Feb had quite a few high profile releases DmC seems quickly forgotten apart from the hardcore that really love the brand name.

If you want a sequel I suggest you do your part and spread the good name.

Sephzilla

It's a reboot meant to replace the OG, recycles story and gameplay elements from DMC1, 3 and DMC4 should clue you in to the fact, unless you haven't played past games. As for sales it doesn't look good; Less then 150k in Japan, 187k in NA and Im not sure about EU but it either never charted or fell off the charts quick in most countries. I don't think it did even 100k. This is only the month of Jan and digital plus PC/Steam sales are not included, but considering Feb had quite a few high profile releases DmC seems quickly forgotten apart from the hardcore that really love the brand name

It's a reboot that doesn't take into account the original continuity at all. And pretty much what Endo Punk said, DmC sold pretty poorly. Capcom said back in late January that they expected DmC to sell 1.2 million by, I think, the end of March but it's going to fall well short of even that. Basically MGR outsold DmC globally in a week and I wouldn't be surprised if God of War outsells DmC in a day (God of War sells pretty well). I don't think it sold well on PC either (neither did 3 or 4), Steams Top Sellers list isn't a good metric to go on but just at a quick glance DmC seems to pop up somewhere in the 40-50 out of 100 range or lower.

Long story short, DmC sold pretty badly compared to the rest of the franchise.

There will most likely be another Devil May Cry game, just whether or not its a sequel to this is what's up for debate.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's a reboot that doesn't take into account the original continuity at all. And pretty much what Endo Punk said, DmC sold pretty poorly. Capcom said back in late January that they expected DmC to sell 1.2 million by, I think, the end of March but it's going to fall well short of even that. Basically MGR outsold DmC globally in a week and I wouldn't be surprised if God of War outsells DmC in a day (God of War sells pretty well). I don't think it sold well on PC either (neither did 3 or 4), Steams Top Sellers list isn't a good metric to go on but just at a quick glance DmC seems to pop up somewhere in the 40-50 out of 100 range or lower.

Long story short, DmC sold pretty badly compared to the rest of the franchise.

There will most likely be another Devil May Cry game, just whether or not its a sequel to this is what's up for debate.

As an anecdote, the DMC HD Collection is still selling relatively well on Amazon.com.

PS3 version is # 177 overall and #21 in PS3 Action.
360 version is #355 overall and #43 in 360 Action.

PS3 DmC is #763 overall and #74 PS3 Action.
360 DmC is #1,130 overall and Not Listed in Top 100 of 360 Action.

Sephzilla

As an anecdote, the DMC HD Collection is still selling relatively well on Amazon.com.

PS3 version is # 177 overall and #21 in PS3 Action.
360 version is #355 overall and #43 in 360 Action.

PS3 DmC is #763 overall and #74 PS3 Action.
360 DmC is #1,130 overall and Not Listed in Top 100 of 360 Action.

That would be kind of embarrassing if the HD Collection ended up outselling the reboot. Last time I researched the numbers, both were pretty even. I'm curious what percentage of the HD Collections sales consist of people who bought it because they didnt want the reboot, and what percentage bought it because they played the reboot. Because I do know a couple of people who bought the HD Collection after finishing DmC because they wanted to know how good the gameplay in those was (since the general word of mouth seems to be that the old games have sharper gameplay)

Mike M

Nick N
That would be kind of embarrassing if the HD Collection ended up outselling the reboot. Last time I researched the numbers, both were pretty even. I'm curious what percentage of the HD Collections sales consist of people who bought it because they didnt want the reboot, and what percentage bought it because they played the reboot. Because I do know a couple of people who bought the HD Collection after finishing DmC because they wanted to know how good the gameplay in those was (since the general word of mouth seems to be that the old games have sharper gameplay)

HD collection was on my radar long before DmC's release, I just wait for the price of everything to come down before buying.

DmC is a good game, even if it's not better than 3 and 4 (I'd certainly rank it higher than the first one, and though I never played 2, I only ever hear terrible, awful things about it.). It deserved better than this : /

Sephzilla

HD collection was on my radar long before DmC's release, I just wait for the price of everything to come down before buying.

DmC is a good game, even if it's not better than 3 and 4 (I'd certainly rank it higher than the first one, and though I never played 2, I only ever hear terrible, awful things about it.). It deserved better than this : /

As you all know I didn't like the game (mediocre at best), but even I'm surprised how poorly it's selling. I thought the franchise name alone would carry it to a million sales.

In terms of ranking it alongside the others I'd probably go DMC3>DMC4>DMC1>DmC>DMC2

I give DMC1 bonus points because it's the game that pretty much defined the modern action game. DmC in my opinion is basically DMC2 if DMC2 didn't suck. I could go into detail about why I think that way, but I'll only do that if there's interest

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's interest, playboy. Lay it on.

I feel like the similarities between DmC and DMC2 were explained a while ago, particularly with there being a more "urban" environment, a city coming "alive", and the main antagonist being a businessman at face value.

Sephzilla

It's bunch of simple parallels.

--In terms of early artistic designs, you're going through urban settings a good deal in both games instead of the more Gothic architecture of other DMC games.
--Bosses in both DMC2 and DmC are pretty much forgettable with usually one exception. In DmC's case it seems to be Bob Bargas, in DMC2 it's Despair Embodied.
--Both games have similar level structures. Decently linear games and all of the areas where you fight monsters are pretty large generally single-level arenas.
--Dante in both games is a bit lacking in the personality department.
--Main bad guys in both games are businessmen at face value.
--Both games have fairly imbalanced arrays of weaponry.
--Both games, by franchise standards, are considered easy.

DmC in a bunch of ways is basically DMC2k13.

Dahbomb

It's bunch of simple parallels.

--In terms of early artistic designs, you're going through urban settings a good deal in both games instead of the more Gothic architecture of other DMC games.
--Bosses in both DMC2 and DmC are pretty much forgettable with usually one exception. In DmC's case it seems to be Bob Bargas, in DMC2 it's Despair Embodied.
--Both games have similar level structures. Decently linear games and all of the areas where you fight monsters are pretty large generally single-level arenas.
--Dante in both games is a bit lacking in the personality department.
--Main bad guys in both games are businessmen at face value.
--Both games have fairly imbalanced arrays of weaponry.
--Both games, by franchise standards, are considered easy.

DmC in a bunch of ways is basically DMC2k13.
Bolded are the only 2 real similarities the DmC and DMC2 have in common. The rest are false and here's why:

The bosses in DmC aren't hard but they aren't forgettable. Bob, Vergil and Succubus definitely stick with you. Succubus will stay in everyone's head because of that cutscene, Bob for the visual flair and Vergil because it's Vergil. The bosses in DmC had way more personality and visual flair than the bosses in DmC. The only thing you can compare between the two is the Mundus fight and the DMC2 building boss. It's a fairly vast difference in quality between the two.

DmC and DMC2 have very different level designs. There is a lot of backtracking in DMC2 as well just like the older DMC games, there is no backtracking in DmC. There is a lot of platforming in DmC whereas DMC2 had rinky dink slash this object garbage puzzles in it. The level design in DMC2 is atrocious where as DmC's level design is at least interesting visually. Plus the camera makes a world of a difference. The fact that you fight in urban looking areas doesn't meant that the actual level design (the way you move around the levels and get to point A to point B) is similar. The rest of the similarities you mentioned are shared among all DMC games which includes linear levels and closed off combat areas.

Dante in DmC whether you like his personality or not has 100x the personality than DMC2. This is not even up for debate. It's actually laughable that someone would even bring this up. DmC Dante has actual dialogue and character... DMC2 Dante is a caricature at best.

DmC's weapon balance is very solid. Where the hell did you get the notion that the weapons are imbalanced? Every weapon has usage and their own niche that they bring to the table and certainly one weapon is usually preferred in a specific situation. Compared to DMC2's weapon balance, DmC's weapon balance is a stroke of genius. You can beat DMC2 entirely with just SMGs. It's a terribly designed game in terms of balance where as with DmC they at least tried. What brings down DmC are a few mechanics like Demon Dodge but the actual weapon balance is very good.

DmC is no where close to being DMC2 easy. You can't gun shoot your way through the game. DMD is a decent challenge by the enemies where as DMC2 DMD is just stupid because you only die due to cheap shots rather than actual challenge which the game generally lacks. DmC DMD is almost equivalent to DMC4 DMD, it's not as hard but it's not a giant gap in difficulty that fans would like to make it to be. It's really the bosses that differ in difficulty but most of the time you are fighting enemies and they are a threat.

DMC2 is a 3/10 game at best. It's terrible in every facet. You also forgot to mention that DMC2 has two playable characters from the get go and a lot of the stages are retread of each other. You also forgot that DMC2 has a "comeback" mechanic in DDT. You also forgot that DMC2 has those terrible Chrono heart itemization. You also forgot that desipite DMC2 being hard lock on and 60FPS... it's still terrible. You forgot that DMC2 has under water missions. You forgot that DMC2 has actual palette swap weapons.

The similarities between DMC2 and DmC are superficial at best. I can make just as many comparisons between DMC2 and DMC3.

Sephzilla

The bosses in DmC aren't hard but they aren't forgettable. Bob, Vergil and Succubus definitely stick with you. Succubus will stay in everyone's head because of that cutscene, Bob for the visual flair and Vergil because it's Vergil. The bosses in DmC had way more personality and visual flair than the bosses in DmC. The only thing you can compare between the two is the Mundus fight and the DMC2 building boss. It's a fairly vast difference in quality between the two.

I should have clarified. They were forgettable in the sense that they were all stupidly easy and were no fun to fight. Bob had the visual flair at least, thus why I liked him. Vergil was a let down because it just constantly reminded me that DMC3's incarnation of the same boss fight was much better done.

DmC and DMC2 have very different level designs. There is a lot of backtracking in DMC2 as well just like the older DMC games, there is no backtracking in DmC. There is a lot of platforming in DmC whereas DMC2 had rinky dink slash this object garbage puzzles in it. The level design in DMC2 is atrocious where as DmC's level design is at least interesting visually. Plus the camera makes a world of a difference. The fact that you fight in urban looking areas doesn't meant that the actual level design (the way you move around the levels and get to point A to point B) is similar. The rest of the similarities you mentioned are shared among all DMC games which includes linear levels and closed off combat areas.

You're mixing the artistic design with the level design. There's a reason I kept the two separate. In terms of arenas where you fight bad guys, DmC and DMC2 are the only games that consistently throw you into large single-tier arenas for fighting typical bad guys. DMC1, 3, and 4 had a bit more variety when it came to where you fight enemies and generally saved the big arenas for bosses (with obvious occasional exceptions). Especially with some of the more confined hallways of DMC1 and 3.

I'm also refusing to call DmC's platforming "platforming", as it's an insult to real platforming. DmC's platforming is barely more than a quick time event.

Dante in DmC whether you like his personality or not has 100x the personality than DMC2. This is not even up for debate. It's actually laughable that someone would even bring this up. DmC Dante has actual dialogue and character... DMC2 Dante is a caricature at best.

I'd argue that while DmC Dante has 100x the personality of DMC2 Dante, DMC1/3/4 Dante has about 100x the personality of DmC Dante. It's subjective, but I really just thought Reboot Dante was a pretty boring wooden protagonist. The main difference between him and DMC2 Dante was that DmC Dante spoke more and said naughty words.

A general point I wanted to omit from my original post was the story differences. DMC2 has a nonexistent story, so DmC does have an advantage there because it actually makes an attempt to tell a story. But it gives us a pretty poorly designed unoriginal one. I'm hard pressed to debate whether or not no story is better or worse than a bad story.

DmC's weapon balance is very solid. Where the hell did you get the notion that the weapons are imbalanced? Every weapon has usage and their own niche that they bring to the table and certainly one weapon is usually preferred in a specific situation. Compared to DMC2's weapon balance, DmC's weapon balance is a stroke of genius. You can beat DMC2 entirely with just SMGs. It's a terribly designed game in terms of balance where as with DmC they at least tried. What brings down DmC are a few mechanics like Demon Dodge but the actual weapon balance is very good.

The weapon balance in DmC is terrible. Ebony & Ivory are effectively useless, same goes for the shotgun. Angel weapons are far too under powered. Kablooey is too overpowered (and if you mix in Demon Dodge on top of that, it's ridiculous). Demon Axe is stupidly powerful, and is broken when you mix in Demon Dodge or Devil Trigger.

DmC's weapon balance is laughable, sorry.

DmC is no where close to being DMC2 easy. You can't gun shoot your way through the game. DMD is a decent challenge by the enemies where as DMC2 DMD is just stupid because you only die due to cheap shots rather than actual challenge which the game generally lacks. DmC DMD is almost equivalent to DMC4 DMD, it's not as hard but it's not a giant gap in difficulty that fans would like to make it to be. It's really the bosses that differ in difficulty but most of the time you are fighting enemies and they are a threat.

Yeah, DmC is no where close to DMC2 easy. I'd argue that DmC is a few steps below DMC2 easy. At least I know what DMC2's game over screen looks like.

I said the comparisons were simple at best (it's the first thing I said). And I'm not arguing that DmC is a worse game than DMC2. I specifically said it's DMC2 if DMC2 didnt suck.

Khal_B

Posted this in the Vergil's Downfall thread but that seems pretty dead unfortunately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LYubmMEjFk

I think many of the problems people had with the main game, at least gameplay wise, is addressed emphatically in the DLC. Vergil's combat and movement is just so much fun to experiment with. It's just a shame that there's no BP mode available for him. Been having a blast and for those who like DMC3 and DMC4, I would definitely recommend it.

Sephzilla

I thought the English version was hilarious (in a good way).

Hey, everybody is different right! (Not trying to sound like a dick, really, if you liked it then props for you!)

I thought it was pretty poor, but well, that's kind of what you get when your cast consists of D-List television walk-ons with no prior voice acting work.

Khal_B

Hey, everybody is different right! (Not trying to sound like a dick, really, if you liked it then props for you!)

I thought it was pretty poor, but well, that's kind of what you get when your cast consists of D-List television walk-ons with no prior voice acting work.

I'll admit when I first saw the scene, I was indifferent. But in subsequent playthroughs I just started bursting out in laughter whenever this scene came up. An acquired taste I guess, but a scene I'd never skip again!

Dahbomb

I should have clarified. They were forgettable in the sense that they were all stupidly easy and were no fun to fight. Bob had the visual flair at least, thus why I liked him. Vergil was a let down because it just constantly reminded me that DMC3's incarnation of the same boss fight was much better done.
Again, at least DmC bosses had visual flair. DMC2 bosses had nothing. A lesser Vergil is still better than EVERYTHING in DMC2.

You're mixing the artistic design with the level design. There's a reason I kept the two separate. In terms of arenas where you fight bad guys, DmC and DMC2 are the only games that consistently throw you into large single-tier arenas for fighting typical bad guys. DMC1, 3, and 4 had a bit more variety when it came to where you fight enemies and generally saved the big arenas for bosses (with obvious occasional exceptions). Especially with some of the more confined hallways of DMC1 and 3.

I'm also refusing to call DmC's platforming "platforming", as it's an insult to real platforming. DmC's platforming is barely more than a quick time event.
You can call it whatever you want but the fact is that the pacing and focus in DmC is way different than DMC2. If you don't call those platforming segments "platforming" in DmC then I have no idea what you would refer those "puzzles" to in DMC2. And not every combat encounter in DmC happens in a big combat arena either.

I'd argue that while DmC Dante has 100x the personality of DMC2 Dante, DMC1/3/4 Dante has about 100x the personality of DmC Dante. It's subjective, but I really just thought Reboot Dante was a pretty boring wooden protagonist. The main difference between him and DMC2 Dante was that DmC Dante spoke more and said naughty words.
So even you admit that DmC Dante has 100x personality of DMC2 Dante. Thank god, we can now never make that silly comparison again now.

The weapon balance in DmC is terrible. Ebony & Ivory are effectively useless, same goes for the shotgun. Angel weapons are far too under powered. Kablooey is too overpowered (and if you mix in Demon Dodge on top of that, it's ridiculous). Demon Axe is stupidly powerful, and is broken when you mix in Demon Dodge or Devil Trigger.

DmC's weapon balance is laughable, sorry.
This looks like someone who has not played the game on DMD mode nor SSS ranked it with high stylish points. Either that or you clearly don't know what weapon balance is and just watched a bunch of video and formulated opinions on it.

Demon Axe is terrible in DMD mode for crowds because it's so slow and you cannot cancel out of it on time if you are about to get hit. This makes it a liability most of the time and you don't want to break your SSS rank by throwing out an unsafe move. Trinity Smash and generally all Arbiter moves are bad in crowds of weaker enemies. You use Demon Axe on bosses because of it's damage but against enemies you are better off using Eryx in most cases.

Aquila has the BEST crowd control in the game and anytime you are faced with a crowd of enemies it's your go to weapon. Round Trip is amazing as is Buy In. Osiris is excellent for actually dealing damage to crowds when you get the Feed. Pop n Shredder + Raze allow you to build it fast and you can safely combo like 8 enemies in the air with it thanks to Buy In plus Osiris. Angel weapons can be cancelled at any frame making them the SAFEST weapons in the game. They are also mandatory for high style points as they are the only way you can get some of the higher accolades in the game (like bonus for 50 hits mid air or something).

Shotgun owns flying enemies like Harpies and packs quite a punch. Fireworks is an excellent crowd controller which Kablooey does not (the AOE on the explosion isn't that high). Charge Shots is nearly as powerful as fully stacked Kablooey and offers very similar functionality. You have way more utility with Shotgun in the game overall. Kablooey is garbage if you don't have max stacks and you can't make good usage out of Kablooey without using Aquila so it's mostly a weapon used to take down bigger single targets where as Shotgun is for more mobile smaller targets. E&I is one of the best style generators in the game. Ricoshot is one of the best moves in the game because it has tremendous utility. It can lock many enemies together and build a ton of style points PLUS it breaks armor on higher level enemies... it can even juggle the bigger enemies. A perfect release Ricoshot does a lot of damage and knockback as well. There is a whole different accolade system for hitting multiple Ricoshots on juggle enemies and they give a crap ton of style points. Anyone wanting to get high style points will be mastering E&I over Kablooey. Kablooey does not generate nearly enough style points. All weapons in the game serve a role and a niche, there are times where one weapon is preferred over the other. You can't go around Trinity Smashing everything, that will give you poor style ratings and will get you hit. Same for Kablooey, it's not optimum using just Kablooey and it won't give you high style points.

Demon Dodge and DT have nothing to do with the weapon balance as they apply equal buffs to all weapons. A DD + DT Overdrive does godlike damage as does DD + DT Feed Pop n Shredder or DD + DT Snake Eyes. Also during DT if you want maximum style points you are better off using Angel weapons than demon weapons plus you want that crowd control as well. Hell you can do DD + DT then do a 3 hit combo with Rebellion and see how much damage it does. These 2 mechanics are over powered by themselves but they have nothing to do with weapon balance.

Placing DMC2 and DmC on the same pedestal of "weapon balance" is laughable sorry.

Sephzilla

Again, at least DmC bosses had visual flair. DMC2 bosses had nothing. A lesser Vergil is still better than EVERYTHING in DMC2.

You can call it whatever you want but the fact is that the pacing and focus in DmC is way different than DMC2. If you don't call those platforming segments "platforming" in DmC then I have no idea what you would refer those "puzzles" to in DMC2. And not every combat encounter in DmC happens in a big combat arena either.

So even you admit that DmC Dante has 100x personality of DMC2 Dante. Thank god, we can now never make that silly comparison again now.

This looks like someone who has not played the game on DMD mode nor SSS ranked it with high stylish points. Either that or you clearly don't know what weapon balance is and just watched a bunch of video and formulated opinions on it.

Demon Axe is terrible in DMD mode for crowds because it's so slow and you cannot cancel out of it on time if you are about to get hit. This makes it a liability most of the time and you don't want to break your SSS rank by throwing out an unsafe move. Trinity Smash and generally all Arbiter moves are bad in crowds of weaker enemies. You use Demon Axe on bosses because of it's damage but against enemies you are better off using Eryx in most cases.

Aquila has the BEST crowd control in the game and anytime you are faced with a crowd of enemies it's your go to weapon. Round Trip is amazing as is Buy In. Osiris is excellent for actually dealing damage to crowds when you get the Feed. Pop n Shredder + Raze allow you to build it fast and you can safely combo like 8 enemies in the air with it thanks to Buy In plus Osiris. Angel weapons can be cancelled at any frame making them the SAFEST weapons in the game. They are also mandatory for high style points as they are the only way you can get some of the higher accolades in the game (like bonus for 50 hits mid air or something).

Shotgun owns flying enemies like Harpies and packs quite a punch. Fireworks is an excellent crowd controller which Kablooey does not (the AOE on the explosion isn't that high). Charge Shots is nearly as powerful as fully stacked Kablooey and offers very similar functionality. You have way more utility with Shotgun in the game overall. Kablooey is garbage if you don't have max stacks and you can't make good usage out of Kablooey without using Aquila so it's mostly a weapon used to take down bigger single targets where as Shotgun is for more mobile smaller targets. E&I is one of the best style generators in the game. Ricoshot is one of the best moves in the game because it has tremendous utility. It can lock many enemies together and build a ton of style points PLUS it breaks armor on higher level enemies... it can even juggle the bigger enemies. A perfect release Ricoshot does a lot of damage and knockback as well. There is a whole different accolade system for hitting multiple Ricoshots on juggle enemies and they give a crap ton of style points. Anyone wanting to get high style points will be mastering E&I over Kablooey. Kablooey does not generate nearly enough style points. All weapons in the game serve a role and a niche, there are times where one weapon is preferred over the other. You can't go around Trinity Smashing everything, that will give you poor style ratings and will get you hit. Same for Kablooey, it's not optimum using just Kablooey and it won't give you high style points.

Demon Dodge and DT have nothing to do with the weapon balance as they apply equal buffs to all weapons. A DD + DT Overdrive does godlike damage as does DD + DT Feed Pop n Shredder or DD + DT Snake Eyes. Also during DT if you want maximum style points you are better off using Angel weapons than demon weapons plus you want that crowd control as well. Hell you can do DD + DT then do a 3 hit combo with Rebellion and see how much damage it does. These 2 mechanics are over powered by themselves but they have nothing to do with weapon balance.

Placing DMC2 and DmC on the same pedestal of "weapon balance" is laughable sorry.

For one, I'm still going to compare DMC2 Dante and DmC Dante. They're both wooden boring characters who are laughably forgettable. It's just a matter of if you prefer your writing nonexistent or really bad.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree then. DmC's weapon balance is god awful. I will admit to not playing DMD mode though, but by factor of the game not being good enough to warrant replaying it more than once, and when I did experiment with Son of Sparda mode the glaring issues in the engine started to pop up more and more.

Dahbomb

So you based your analysis of the combat engine and balance on some tinkering in SoS mode...

Yea OK nothing further needs to be discussed here. This is about as relevant to the discussion as someone saying they beat DMC3 on Hard using nothing but Stinger + DTE so Rebellion is OP and the weapon balance sucks.

Sephzilla

So you based your analysis of the combat engine and balance on some tinkering in SoS mode...

Yea OK nothing further needs to be discussed here.

Why should I waste my time playing a third or fourth playthrough of a game that has no immediate endearing qualities? If it takes me multiple playthroughs in order to finally start getting into the crux and balance of the game, and needs to be on the hardest difficulty of the game in order to do so, you know what that's called? A badly designed game. With pretty much any competently designed action game you can see balance and intricacies of the gameplay fairly early on, you don't need to crank everything up to 11.

Dahbomb

Why should I waste my time playing a third or fourth playthrough of a game that has no immediate endearing qualities? If it takes me multiple playthroughs in order to finally start getting into the crux and balance of the game, and needs to be on the hardest difficulty of the game, you know what that's called? A bad game.
No... it's called a Devil May Cry game.

Every DMC game is balanced on the hardest difficulty setting with the ranking system in mind. No one cares about how Normal/Hard mode is balanced, it's about how the combat system stacks up on the highest level of play. No one really knew the depth of DMC1 until they played on DMD mode. No one really got into the depth of DMC3 until they had started SS ranking DMD mode (after beating it 10 times over). No one got the depth of DMC4 until months after the release.

So yeah talking about combat depth and weapon balance without the perspective of playing at a reasonably high level of play is irrelevant (in this game high level of play is SSS ranking DMD mode with maximum possible style points). It's like talking about fighting game balance at low level play.

Sephzilla

The other DMC modes were pretty balanced on every mode though. And even then, the easier modes in previous DMC games left openings to witness the experimentation and depth of the games mechanics - something DmC doesn't do anywhere near as effectively. Sorry pal, DmC is a so-so designed game put together by developers who always put together pretty mediocre games from a gameplay perspective. This is pretty par for the Ninja Theory course.

Top Bottom