• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

I second that I see no problem with people boycotting the game and buying the HD collection. While some might feel its unfair for them to not give DmC a chance, it's perfectly reasonable to not want their dollars to contribute to the continuation of something they never wanted in the first place even if it turned out better than expected.

I personally would feel extremely conflicted buying the game myself. I can appreciate it as a good game in isolation, but that does not change that no amount of reasoning will make me believe it is an adequate replacement for the OG series. I simply think the idea of the two series running in parallel is wishful thinking, especially going into a generation where development costs are going to rise even more prohibitally higher.

that all said, I feel it's pretty obvious that any decision that capcom makes is not going to be based on boycotts like this and they don't have a hope in hell of effecting sales long term. This game is still a hella of a purchase for a casual or new fan of the series and quite rightly they will not be pursuaded by any niche group of fans holding on to the past.

Honestly, I just hope going forward this whole debarcle shows capcom once again, that Japanese games or rather games with a strong Japanese astethic still have a market in the west. I remember being to years ago that DMC5 wasn't being made because the higher ups thought the series was "too Japanese" and that it needed looked at how to make the game more agreeable to western tastes.

I think the outrage and backlash geniunely shocked them, but it's now for them to really look over the sales data a year from now and consider if it is worth it to throw away the investment in a new brand, just to please the 10-25% of fans they have now lost. With the critical response alone, I really doubt it.

A DmC can correct many of the mistakes of the original and still continue as the default series. In my eyes DMC is dead and this boycott is just that particular sections of the fanbases last hurrarh. Don't take too much stock in it and let them at least think they are making a difference.

I second that I see no problem with people boycotting the game and buying the HD collection. While some might feel its unfair for them to not give DmC a chance, it's perfectly reasonable to not want their dollars to contribute to the continuation of something they never wanted in the first place even if it turned out better than expected.

I personally would feel extremely conflicted buying the game myself. I can appreciate it as a good game in isolation, but that does not change that no amount of reasoning will make me believe it is an adequate replacement for the OG series. I simply think the idea of the two series running in parallel is wishful thinking, especially going into a generation where development costs are going to rise even more prohibitally higher.

that all said, I feel it's pretty obvious that any decision that capcom makes is not going to be based on boycotts like this and they don't have a hope in hell of effecting sales long term. This game is still a hella of a purchase for a casual or new fan of the series and quite rightly they will not be pursuaded by any niche group of fans holding on to the past.

Honestly, I just hope going forward this whole debarcle shows capcom once again, that Japanese games or rather games with a strong Japanese astethic still have a market in the west. I remember being to years ago that DMC5 wasn't being made because the higher ups thought the series was "too Japanese" and that it needed looked at how to make the game more agreeable to western tastes.

I think the outrage and backlash geniunely shocked them, but it's now for them to really look over the sales data a year from now and consider if it is worth it to throw away the investment in a new brand, just to please the 10-25% of fans they have now lost. With the critical response alone, I really doubt it.

A DmC can correct many of the mistakes of the original and still continue as the default series. In my eyes DMC is dead and this boycott is just that particular sections of the fanbases last hurrarh. Don't take too much stock in it and let them at least think they are making a difference.

All that matters in the end is really the sales. If this game only sells like a million than they would probably really think hard about what their next game is. Sadly I think it will probably sell well. I highly doubt it will skyrocket them to new heights financially like they probably originally thought this endeavor would do when it all began.

XenoJim

Banned
All that matters in the end is really the sales. If this game only sells like a million than they would probably really think hard about what their next game is. Sadly I think it will probably sell well. I highly doubt it will skyrocket them to new heights financially like they probably originally thought this endeavor would do when it all began.

Did they have a goal for amount of sales they wanted to achieve? A target number to be able to confirm it for a success in their eyes?

Anteater

Would be kind of ironic if this game ended up selling less than their new IPs, since they could've made something different with NT and avoided all the backlash.

Did they have a goal for amount of sales they wanted to achieve? A target number to be able to confirm it for a success in their eyes?

They set a target goal of 2 million IIRC (less than the previous game) and that was way after the game was in development. I assume when they set out to find a western developer they probably wanted to have a God of War style hit on their hand and then settled on realistic expectations later.

I mean, the other thing is, if Vergil really wanted to,
he could resurrect Kat's father knowing how much of a big deal it would be. Since he was the one who, you know, convinced her to kill him

They could even talk about how Kat
wore a contact because her heterochromia reminded her of her father
or something if they wanted to.

If it turns out that you're just predicting the plot of Vergil's Downfall, I will bow to your cognitive prowess.

Going purely by how it is trending on Several amazon sites (the only reliable data available) its probably going at a 10-15% reduction in sales in the short term in the west. However, that is probably in line with the amount that a proverbial DMC5 would of sold at the tail end of a generation too.

What is important here that in the long term, DmC will do extremely well because it's high reviews almost guarantees a lot of people picking it up once it hits impulse buy prices of $40 dollars or less. Sometimes for a title like this that is more important for the brand because it ensures ALOT more people will be on board for DmC2.

So even the first few NPDs mean little. How much capcom manage to ship in the long term is far more important. If it is significantly over their 2 mill forecast don't even expect them to pretend they care about the old series anymore.

Maybe. Maybe Not. I'm inclined to believe it's more than a few challenge areas, plus Vergil. Though, I'm simply expecting a little story,and possibly a few peaks as to what a possible sequel might venture into.

Dave1988

DmC is a good game. We know this. You're assuming that a hypothetical reversion to the classic series and/or DMC5 will be good or better purely on the basis of it returning to the older format.

That's unfair. Especially when you consider that the Capcom that made DMC4 in 2008 is not the same Capcom in 2013.

Dragon Dogma, if nothing else, proves that Crapcom still knows how to design an excellent combat system. NT, on the other hand, not so much...

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Been playing the PC version since friday, dat 250fps feel of 500fps. Embargo's lifted so if anyone has any questions; shoot

Curufinwe

Dragon Dogma, if nothing else, proves that Crapcom still knows how to design an excellent combat system. NT, on the other hand, not so much...

If DmC outsells Dragon's Dogma, and it probably will, Capcom might need to have rethink cause DD definitely cost them a lot more to make.

Their internal team should have just made DMC 5 and got it out in 2011 instead of spending four years on the Dragon's Dogma boondoggle.

If DmC outsells Dragon's Dogma, and it probably will, Capcom might need to have rethink cause DD definitely cost them a lot more to make.

Their internal team should have just made DMC 5 and got it out in 2011 instead of spending four years on the Dragon's Dogma boondoggle.

The very fact that DD is getting a updated version released this year makes this very unlikely.

I don't think there will be a DmCSE.

Glass Rebel

Been playing the PC version since friday, dat 250fps feel of 500fps. Embargo's lifted so if anyone has any questions; shoot

It would be nice if you could post pictures but I have a few questions:

- what are the refresh rate options? 30 Hz, 60 Hz, (120 Hz,) unlocked, I assume?
- did you notice any stuttering?
- are the HD textures a noticeable upgrade?
- the Steam page mentions "partial controller support". I assume this means it opens a separate menu before it launches into the game. Can you confirm/deny?

Jawmuncher

It would be nice if you could post pictures but I have a few questions:

- what are the refresh rate options? 30 Hz, 60 Hz, (120 Hz,) unlocked, I assume?
- did you notice any stuttering?
- are the HD textures a noticeable upgrade?
- the Steam page mentions "partial controller support". I assume this means it opens a separate menu before it launches into the game. Can you confirm/deny?

Basically this as well. These are all the questions I would have asked.

Ein Bear

I hope Vergil's Downfall fleshes his character out a lot more than the main game did, I found
his heel-turn at the end to be really clunky. You defeat Mundus, save the day... and then he's just "Oh I'm evil btw, let's fight!" out of nowhere. Definitely the biggest problem I had with the game's plot.

How quickly can you skip the skippable cutscenes, compared to the console demo if you have that reference. How fast are the pre-level loads?

Sanctuary

Sorry if already posted. Feedbackula on Gamespot for DmC. Pretty funny actually.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/feedb...eedbackulaDmc;DmcDevilMayCryReview;WatchItNow

So much stupid bitching about everything and with such horrible syntax. Maybe it's just the internet, but so many of the younger generation of gamers seem to have massive entitlement issues as well as a complete lack of understanding of the English language. Thank god I grew up when books were still popular.

haikira

Oh shit, the loading times in the 360 version were atrocious.

None stood out to me, as being particularly bad. Did you install the game?

EDIT: Annoyingly enough, the Face-Off from Digital Foundry doesn't compare installed time with non installed. But they do say it's 5-15 seconds installed.

New chapters usually take between five and 15 seconds to load on the 360 (installed), compared to 18 and 26 seconds on the PS3.

ezekial45

Banned

Allow me to rephrase; I KNOW they're capable of making a great DMC5, but what I meant to say is that it might not be the DMC5 you want it to be.

But honestly, everyone, you can rationalize it all you want -- I think it's bullshit a lot of you guys wishing for a great game to fail. Cause that's what this is.

Allow me to rephrase; I KNOW they're capable of making a great DMC5, but what I meant to say is that it might not be the DMC5 you want it to be.

But honestly, everyone, you can rationalize it all you want -- I think it's bullshit a lot of you guys wishing for a great game to fail. Cause that's what this is.

It's a game that I didn't want in the first place. I don't want it to fail and I don't think it's failing at all. I'd say I would love to see you support a rebirth of DMC5 as much as you defend the perceived unfairness against this game

Dave1988

Sure, it's a great game for you. But nothing I have seen or played indicates that this game is great. Sure, there are things that NT did right with Donte may Cry (the try it before you buy it option in the shop, Dreamrunners, and Aquila) but there far and few between all the crap this game throws at you that I don't see it being anything more than a mediocre attempt at a DMC title. And I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for this game to fail if I think that this is not the direction the franchise should take in the future.

This is an extremely reductive way of looking at things but yes, if you are saying if I had to chose to save one of the two branches of the series I damn sure would pick the OG series every single time.

Think that is bullshit? I think it was bullshit the series was rebooted in the first place, regardless of the quailty of the final product.

I don't care what any critic, hell any of you say. I still enjoy DMC4 more.

Honestly though DMC HD Collection at that price is a better purchase than DmC, regardless of what you think of the game.

If this game does fail to meet sales expectations I don't imagine Capcom would draw the conclusions that fans want, even with whatever sales boycott or metacritic score bombings they do. Capcom's chasing that mythical Western casual "market" like it's buried Aztec gold, if they don't find it here they'll just keep digging.

rvy

Banned
Well, there's at least one thing I'm happy about from DmC's release. I'm sure it's helping the HD Collection to sell:

DMCHD.jpg

I'm sure double dipping on DMC 4 works too, I sure as shit am not buying the HD collection.

A friend just told me the game was 20% off on WOWHD a few days ago. Thanks for telling me AFTER... hopefully they'll have that sale soon again.

SerRodrik

I'll probably end up getting the HD collection instead of DmC, not out of any real organized boycott effort, but just because all this talk about the Devil May Cry series reminded me about how much I liked those games and how much I want to go back and try them again. I'm still not sold about a lot of the changes to new DmC, so I'll probably still hold off on picking that up.

Also, I don't remember much of DMC2, and I'd like to go back and replay it at least a little to see what all the fuss was about.

Finished the game today.... what do I think?

The best DMC game IMO.

Amazing level design, BEAUTIFUL art... very interesting story........ and I just LOVE the ending.

and oh.... the combat are the most fun I had for a long time.

I won't accept another DMC game but from NT, they nailed it so freaking hard <3

Well, Capcom decided to make DmC because they felt this way the game was going to reach a new and wider fanbase thus selling more than a DMC5 would have sold. If DmC will sell more than the previous DMC games it means they got it right.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, Capcom decided to make DmC because they felt this way the game was going to reach a new and wider fanbase thus selling more than a DMC5 would have sold. If DmC will sell more than the previous DMC games it means they got it right.
If they predicted it would sell less than half of DMC4, the most recent and best selling entry in the franchise, I don't think they felt they were going to reach a wider fanbase anymore.

If they predicted it would sell less than half of DMC4, the most recent and best selling entry in the franchise, I don't think they felt they were going to reach a wider fanbase anymore.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/1...o-sell-7-million-dmc-devil-may-cry-2-million/

They predicted the game would sell 2 million copies by the end of their current fiscal year, meaning they expect DmC to sell almost as many copies as DMC4 sold in its entire lifetime by the end of March 2013.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/1...o-sell-7-million-dmc-devil-may-cry-2-million/

They predicted the game would sell 2 million copies by the end of their current fiscal year, meaning they expect DmC to sell almost as many copies as DMC4 sold in its entire lifetime by the end of March 2013.

Devil May Cry 4 sold 2 million copies in under a month. These are video games and the sales are heavily front-loaded (unless you're Nintendo). DmC isn't touching DMC4 any way you slice it.

ezekial45

Banned
Devil May Cry 4 sold 2 million copies in under a month. These are video games and the sales are heavily front-loaded (unless you're Nintendo). DmC isn't touching DMC4 any way you slice it.

It shipped 2 million in the first month, not sold.

If it sold 2 million copies in the first month, then we'd have much higher sales for that game. Because if it did sell that much, and only managed to sell about 700k for the following 4 years, then that'd be a terrible, terrible drop.

Jawmuncher

If it sold 2 million copies in the first month, then we'd have much higher sales for that game. Because if it did sell that much, and only sold about 700k for the following 4 years, then that'd be a terrible, terrible drop.

Exactly.
This reboot wouldn't have even happened.

Risette

A Good Citizen

If i sold 2 million copies in the first month, then we we'd have DMC5 or 6 by now.
If it shipped 2 million copies in the first month and then managed to sell enough to merit further shipments bumping it up to the 2.6m it was at, then it sold through those copies fairly quickly or retailers wouldn't have ordered anymore.

I don't know why people misinterpret shipped figures so much.

Mike M

Nick N
None stood out to me, as being particularly bad. Did you install the game?

EDIT: Annoyingly enough, the Face-Off from Digital Foundry doesn't compare installed time with non installed. But they do say it's 5-15 seconds installed.

Prior to installing the game, loading times were pretty awful...

Carbonox

Man Arbiter and Eryx are kind of crap to use alone, what happened to the awesome kicks with the gauntlets :(

Arbiter's Trinity Smash is a style tank. You'll rack up those SSS's like they were nothing, especially when combined with Round Trip/Kablooey/Demon Dodge (especially the latter). It's also extremely powerful in its own right and can make mince meat out of bosses.

Top Bottom