• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bullshit. If that were the case, DMC combo videos would have stopped when they hit max style letter. They did not.

Style system means nothing when it comes to swag combos. Lots of combos in DMC3 videos don't go past S. It's about looking cool, not getting a high style.

I think you guys are underestimating the effect a good ranking system has on these types of games.

They only become largely irrelevant once you reach a certain level of play. But starting out I think S Ranks and Platinum's in Bayonetta are good guidelines for how to play these games well for new players and get them to respect the depth of the mechanics.(Wow you're supposed to do this without getting hit in only 3 minutes!?!? "Does anyone else get stone on every chapter?")

They then become more familiar with the combat systems and mechanics in pursuit of that, and that's when "stylish play" emerges I think.

Without that, I think alot of players are going to just figure out how to abuse the system, and come to the conclusion that that's all there is to it or think "what's the point of doing combos?", and stop playing. (I mean you even see this type of mentality applied towards the old games when players figured out you could achieve S Ranks while playing no where near the level seen in stuff like TST vids)

Which isn't good if there needs to be a new generation to step up in place of the OG community, who don't have the time or desire to break down a new game again. Especially one so fundamentally different to what they're used to.

If NT wants their game to have legs, they NEED to patch the style system. Thing is I don't think they give a shit. Especially if they're planning to make another one in 2.5 years.

iavi

I can acknowledge and appreciate it even but if it comes at the expense of elements I care more about of course I will be disappointed.

I really like what they did with the environments and I actually did pre-order the PC version but DmC isn't what I wanted from the second HD DMC entry.

Fair enough.

Anteater

my reaction to the last fight was pretty much:

dezsninfle.gif

Isaccard

It's been a week since the game's release and still no swag video.

DmC community is on hibernate mode... can't even call them lazy at this point.

Probably waiting for PC version. If nothing still then, that's saying something about the game I think.

Dahbomb

Style system IS broken though. Not from a combo video perspective (no one really cares about looking at your style bar in a combo video anyway) but from an actual balance and game play perspective. The way they want you to play the game is counter to the way you SHOULD play if you want to get high style ranks. The way they want you to play is fun and swag... but the way you SHOULD play is boring and mindless.

It shouldn't really deter people from making combo videos though. Even DS2 had swag videos and it has no "style" meter.

Without that, I think alot of players are going to just figure out how to abuse the system, and come to the conclusion that that's all there is to it or think "what's the point of doing combos?", and stop playing. (I mean you even see this type of mentality applied towards the old games when players figured out you could achieve S Ranks while playing no where near the level seen in stuff like TST vids)
This is the bottom line. Some scrub is going to get SSS's and be like "I am the business in DmC". He will probably watch a video of DmC and be like "so he's doing all this shit while he's getting the same or lower rank as me.... LOL".

So, I beat it last night. Great game, but the ending felt tacked on, and the last boss fight comes out of nowhere and seemed badly rushed. Either way, great game.

There was a teensy bit of foreshadowing in the mission where
the terrorist base is stormed and Vergil's disregard for Kat's life and well-being is highlighted. His mentality might as well have been "she was a useful ally, but she's served her purpose now and in the end she's still only a human." For the most part though, I do agree - it could have been a lot better executed. At least I actually liked the characters, so that when the inevitable clash of views happens, I felt a tinge of sadness.

"I loved you brother." :(

Anyway, I beat it last night too. Really enjoyed it as a whole, and feel it was a great gaming start to the year for me. I'll get the plat and then look forward to Vergil's Downfall in the near future.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It shouldn't really deter people from making combo videos though. Even DS2 had swag videos and it has no "style" meter.

Right but how many of them were players with no prior experience to any type of high level "swag" gameplay besides DS2? How many of them were DMC players messing around with a new game?

I think a "style" or similar ranking system is really required to demonstrate any kind of mechanical depth in these games to new players. If it's not there, people are just going to mash to clear waves thinking that's what they're supposed to do.

or in DmC's case if it's broken, it's leading players to draw the wrong conclusions about the game and its depth.(hence why the one hit SSS gif is so widespread)

Dahbomb

I love the tips in the game by the way. It's the real type of tips that will make you want to try out certain moves. A lot of my tips in this thread are from the actual tips in game

Love the loading screen as well but I would've preferred having control of Dante.

Dartastic

Yea, the loading screen shows some pretty cool stuff like uppercutting the fatties when they do the jump attacks.
I had no idea you could do that until I saw that loading screen.

Also, silly question but how do you parry? Do you just dodge at a specific frame? It happens to me seemingly randomly, and the game never really explained it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1/3rd DMC4 UK sales?

RIP Ezekial Community Manager status

Ninja Theory should ask for a refund on Dahbomb's money hat.

This is the bottom line. Some scrub is going to get SSS's and be like "I am the business in DmC". He will probably watch a video of DmC and be like "so he's doing all this shit while he's getting the same or lower rank as me.... LOL".

That's what I mean, should have clarified more. It's still fun to style but the game just doesn't give new players an incentive to. The most efficient way to play is basically turtling.

Andrew.

Banned
Dude, I just discovered you can do custom soundtracks. Just tried it out on PS3 and now I've got some Rage Against The Machine's "Wake Up" during Mission 1. Fucking spectacular.

GolazoDan

I only usually do a few missions a night after work, not much time for games, but I did missions 9-16 tonight. Really starting to dig the newer weapons I've unlocked. Aquila is fucking awesome. In fact, the Angel weapons in general are decent. Really can't get the hang of the Demon ones but they are the heavier ones and I never like using them in action games.

Still seem to get my arse kicked by those fat enemies, I'm definitely not approaching them in the right way.

As for the bosses,
Bob Barbas
was certainly memorable and not so bad once I got the hang of it. That
BIG FUCKIN' BABY
was a bit creepy.

yurinka

Completed level 10 in Nephilim (1st playthrough). I'm loving the game.
Has some minor flaws but the game is great, really good.
Nice to see this game doesn't features QTEs, for some reason everybody else is putting them everywhere.

Keep it as a secret guys, but I'm starting to like Antoniades.

Dahbomb

One of the things NT should've done was ditch the scoring system entirely. It's one of those things that actually was an issue with DMC3 & 4.
I don't know what scoring system you are talking about here. Scoring has always been in a DMC game since DMC1. In DMC1 the Style rank calculations were done on the background but used a similar system with DMC3. It was DMC4 that changed things up with Leaderboards and putting more of a focus on Style points which really has always been in a DMC game but it was one of 5 parameters (Style points, Time, Damage, Red Orbs, Items). In DmC Style points is essentially half of your style grade.

If anything I applaud NT for expanding on the system by having your moves show up with their points.

Jintor

Dude, I just discovered you can do custom soundtracks. Just tried it out on PS3 and now I've got some Rage Against The Machine's "Wake Up" during Mission 1. Fucking spectacular.

I just turned the music off and played Persona Music Live over the top of it. Utterly inappropriate but still fun.

Sorian

Banned
Yes, it did. No foreshadowing or any of that.

Ummm, mid-game and end boss spoilers
Phineas, the demon you meet on the way to Raptor news, was in the game for two reasons. He was the plot device to inform you of Mundus' main weakness and to foreshadow who the last boss will be. I believe his line was something along the lines of "But if you succeed, who will take his place?"

Raxus

Oh my god at the
Mundus Spawn
boss fight. I can't get a SSS for the life of me. I think because I do too well in the fight and kill it in 3 goes as opposed to the 4 I think it wants me to do (I got 220k on SoS mode and still no SSS).

I really want to see a parry video for this game.

Slurmer

Banned
I thought the game was pretty great. I missed lock-on and bloody palace, but this has some of the most creative environments ive ever seen. Id say its just as good as dmc4 if not better

-Mikey-

How does the 360 controller feel for DmC? I'm use to a playstation controller but getting one to work on PC has been a pain. Anyway, looking forward to Friday!

Mike M

Nick N
My biggest beef with the game is... Why the hell does Dante live in a trailer on the boardwalk? What kind of city has a trailer park in the middle of a seaside amusement park?

Mike M

Nick N
Oh my god at the
Mundus Spawn
boss fight. I can't get a SSS for the life of me. I think because I do too well in the fight and kill it in 3 goes as opposed to the 4 I think it wants me to do (I got 220k on SoS mode and still no SSS).

I really want to see a parry video for this game.

Yeah, you kind of need to pull your punches. Don't DT, don't use Trinity Smash. Other wise he goes down too fast to rack up a score.

Also found that I needed to avoid using Roulette Spin and just stick to aerial hacker on the weak points. Roulette Spin is just muscle memory for doing air combos for me at this point, so that was a hard habit to break myself of.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My biggest beef with the game is... Why the hell does Dante live in a trailer on the boardwalk? What kind of city has a trailer park in the middle of a seaside amusement park?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he works for the amusement park? Or, you know, he's all poor and shit but it's cool to live in a trailer down by the amusement park.

Top Bottom