• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

sleepykyo

Yes. The western dveloped Racoon City was 25 for the year. The Japanese developed RE6 was 7.

Here is more data:

Top 30 selling Japanese games of all time:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/07/08/japans-best-selling-video-games-of-all-time/

Not a single western developed game.

Tetris (well, Russia gets grouped in the West for these things). East, west? It doesn't matter, Nintendo has a large chunk of the top 30 on lock. And your own data shows they were more responsive to ORC and CoD.

Maaseru

Banned
Then let's trade developers, have NT do DD instead

Why so much hate for DD just because Capcom supposedly divided it resources to make that game tather than DMC5. I'm grateful for a fun game like DD, a million times more than I would have been for this "great" DMC5 that never was...and how the hell does NT make DD? I mean Heavenly Sword had a similar style to DMC so to me it fits!

So in that line of though I'll take a DD made by From Software any day!

People talk about this like DmC was some holy grail. It was a good franchise at best; 1 and 3 where amazing, 2 sucked or was a real step down and for me 4 was one of those early gen games that was ok, nothing great. I always saw Bayonetta as a great spiritual successor to DMC, it had the greatness that series kind lost.

nbthedude

Tetris (well, Russia gets grouped in the West for these things). East, west? It doesn't matter, Nintendo has a large chunk of the top 30 on lock. And your own data shows they were more responsive to ORC and CoD.

Tetris for GBA was developed by Bullet Proof Software, located in Japan. And Nintendo has no such lock on the top 400 over the last 4 years and similar results exist, as the links I posted demostrate.

"Responsive" is also quite a stretch to describe those listings.

At this point I am ready to call it blantant fucking racism. It is absurd how insular Japanese game consumers are. There are plenty of Japanese franchises that do very well in the west. Even Japanese born franchises have no chance when an outside dev takes over.

Maybe DmC is just bad.

Yes. The western dveloped Racoon City was 25 for the year. The Japanese developed RE6 was 7.

Here is more data:

Top 30 selling Japanese games of all time:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/07/08/japans-best-selling-video-games-of-all-time/

Not a single western developed game.

Top 100 in 2012 in Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508592

Three Western games in top 100: Racoon City 25, Call of Duty 31, Assassin's Creed 3 85

2011 top 100

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458849

Four Western games chart: Donkey Kong 25, Call of Duty 39, BattleField 66, Uncharted 69

2010 top 100:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419169

Three games: Call of Duty at 59, Grand Theft Auto Libert City at 95, and Red Dead Redemption at 97.

2009 top 100 in Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384783

One western game in the top 100: Call of Duty at 77.

So, in the last four years, out of 400 top selling games, 11 western games chart. 2.75% Western games, 97.25% Japanese games. Math.

what the shit is this?

ORC was an extremely broken, bad game. 52% on metacritic Its amazing how well it did over there, purely from brand loyalty.

You are confusing different cultural tastes (and brand loyalty) with racism. I could post the exact same type of list of top selling PC games and id bet you there wouldn't be one Japanese developed game on it.

Besides, hasn't dmc outsold the uk numbers in japan?

the jumping through logical hoops in this thread is amazing. The answer to dmcs sales are pretty simple. Its at the tail end of a generation, the market has contracted somewhat, The game is somewhat controversial and a sizable amount of people will flat out refuse to pay full price for it, even amongst those who DO like the game.

nothing more or less.

Again fine. Whatever euphemism you want to use. I am not that caught up on the "why."

I have to remember this when I go round my white mate's house and he tells me he prefers bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato to you non-UK folks) to my curried goat and coconut rice.

He is obviously rasist.

Okay seriously?

The amount of jumping in this game is ridiculous. It'd be alright if Dante didn't drop like a freaking rock on the way down. I think I did more jumping and watching cutscenes than I did fighting.

And did anyone else have the Dreamrunner glitch? If he reflects your weapons back at you, they keep cutting you up forever but you don't lose health. This happened more than a few times.

Carbonox

After playing the Metal Gear Rising demo and learning the gameplay, DmC has COMPLETELY disappeared from all thought. Like, I forgot it even came out and I got the Platinum for that game last weekend. :lol

I will return for Vergil's Downfall but otherwise my hype train is well and truly heading for the MGR platform now.

After playing the Metal Gear Rising demo and learning the gameplay, DmC has COMPLETELY disappeared from all thought. Like, I forgot it even came out and I got the Platinum for that game last weekend. :lol

I will return for Vergil's Downfall but otherwise my hype train is well and truly heading for the MGR platform now.

Somehow I'm excited for both!

I was enjoying the MGR demo a lot until I saw a Japanese runthrough where the player parried the enemy into the sky.

I then returned DmC, paid of MGR at Gamestop, and am waiting.

I won't stand for all of this Dragon's Dogma hate. Game is great.

I got exhausted after about 30 hours and didn't see its ending. Up until that point I had a great time. With a bit of tweaking the game would be excellent

By tweaking I mean medieval Dante eating a slice of pizza on a gryphon's back with epic music playing

haikira

Nearing the end of my Son of Sparda run. Still really digging the game. Probably would have finished the second run by now, but have an exam coming up and haven't been able to play it, as much as i would have liked.

Seriously tempted to bite the bullet on the PC version, from GMG. It's 20.50GBP for me, when applying the 25% code and throwing in 2 pounds of credit i got from Dead Space 3.

TokiDoki

I was enjoying the MGR demo a lot until I saw a Japanese runthrough where the player parried the enemy into the sky.

I then returned DmC, paid of MGR at Gamestop, and am waiting.

May I know which video you seen regarding the MGR air parry ? Would love to show that to my friends .

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I like DmC a lot, it'll make my end of the year list barring a crazy run of excellent games later in the year, but Rising is just going to be on another level. I wish the DLC was coming out sooner but what can you do...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wait can Steam folk pre-load the game now? I tried to last night and couldn't do it. I'm optimistic the game will be decent. It looks good but after playing DMC4 last night, I'm a little worried.

Ein Bear

I'm just buzzing over the fact that we get Rising a month after DmC. Then potentially Bayonetta 2 later in the year.

2013 - Year of Awesome Action Gaming

LaneDS

Haven't read too much on the game recently (since reviews hit); approximately how long is the game on a first playthrought? Bought the PC version and might try to blow through it this weekend prior to starting Ni no Kuni, if it's not too lengthy.

Edit: Thanks Anteater!

Anteater

Haven't read too much on the game recently (since reviews hit); approximately how long is the game on a first playthrought? Bought the PC version and might try to blow through it this weekend prior to starting Ni no Kuni, if it's not too lengthy.

Took me around 10hrs, I've heard it's shorter but I probably play slow and wander around a lot.

Vitor711

Yeah I just preloaded and it was only 38MB too.

Same, weird.

I thought that there wasn't even going to be a preload though so this rekindles my optimism.

Still not happy to it's actually releasing midnight tonight though if Steam's 'hours remaining until unlock' thing is correct.

Dahbomb

And I'm not even playing, just reading Dahbomb crying over no swag combo videos every few pages while I wait the PC version release :(
I only complain once a day. And today's a new day so....

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE GOD DAMN SWAG COMBO VIDEOS????

Also you asked it once and I will answer... yes indeed once you do launch the big enemies up with a fully charged Eryx Uppercut you can perform full air combos on them and even manipulate them with the pulls.

Dahbomb

dreamfall

Wait can Steam folk pre-load the game now? I tried to last night and couldn't do it. I'm optimistic the game will be decent. It looks good but after playing DMC4 last night, I'm a little worried.

Still no pre-load over here, GMG keys registered! Eager anticipation, but I do feel like this will completely be overshadowed by Rising.

Carbonox

Capcom mods are regular users, not employees (unless specified otherwise in their sig as there are Community Managers and the like who have special tags). They know nothing definitive as I used to be a mod there years ago. They don't get 'special info' before the public on new game projects. However, I don't doubt that DmC2 is in planning stages.

Gbraga

Have the Kablooey quick shooting been posted here already? I fugre that with one jump cancel you can use that method to stick 6 shots in one quick air combo.

I only complain once a day. And today's a new day so....

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE GOD DAMN SWAG COMBO VIDEOS????

Also you asked it once and I will answer... yes indeed once you do launch the big enemies up with a fully charged Eryx Uppercut you can perform full air combos on them and even manipulate them with the pulls.

<3

I'll try not to disappoint you :(

haikira

I don't doubt i'm in a small group, especially around here. But i say DmC2 is good news. Bring it on. If they can keep what's good and improve on the shortcomings, it should be a good game.

Mike M

Nick N
I would welcome a DmC2. I think they have an excellent foundation to work from for the combat engine, and in the end I came around to preferring the (relatively) more grounded story telling. There was still the casual disregard for physics, but shit like driving motorcycles up the sides of buildings and wielding them like nunchucks was never anything but stupid.

Hell, just adding lock on and nixing the color coded enemies would make me pretty happy, but I've never been a top flight DMC player.

I don't doubt i'm in a small group, especially around here. But i say DmC2 is good news. Bring it on. If they can keep what's good and improve on the shortcomings, it should be a good game.

You and me both :) I love this atmosphere, granted its a little cliche, but I absolutely love the redesign of Dante, love the settings, and enjoying the story. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm having a great time.

I would be happy to see a DMC2.

Top Bottom