• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4: PS3 Vs. Xbox 360 Comparison Vid

SSM25

I'm glad some developers notice there is a freakin' HD inside consoles......

Oh, and I see no difference............

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SSM25 said:
I'm glad some developers notice there is a freakin' HD inside consoles......

Oh, and I see no difference............

But think of the arcade and core users. MS won't allow for HD cache.

Psychotext said:
You realise there's very few large companies on the planet that MS doesn't have agreements and collaboration with? They even work with Sony on a few things.
No that's pretty fuckin shot. Damn

They really are a monopoly then!

neojubei said:
But think of the arcade and core users. MS won't allow for HD cache.
Other games use the HDD on the 360. None do installs yet (afaik) but I see no reason why you couldn't offer it as an option... as long as the game still worked without it.

Everdred

Narag said:
I could've swore PC was the lead platform and PS3/360 versions came from that. Something about PC lead led to easier multiplatform development with their current engine iirc.
This is what I've heard too. I wish they made PC vs Console comparisons, but then again Video cards vary so much.

Psychotext said:
Other games use the HDD on the 360. None do installs yet (afaik) but I see no reason why you couldn't offer it as an option... as long as the game still worked without it.
Damage! Damage Control!
Mash said:
I think this thread may well be what's wrong with videogaming.
cartmanpubeskz3.jpg

Uh yeah Ha

Rody

I guess you might find something different. If you're stupid enough to look for it, that is.

You shouldn't.

tanod

when is my burrito
andrewfee said:
The engine is proven on the 360 with Dead Rising / Lost Planet and they might have framerate issues with the PS3 version in some areas or have to downgrade visuals slightly. But it did start out on PS3 with a target of 60fps and LP/DR had some framerate issues, and tearing if you weren't running at 720p.

DMC4 uses Capcom's new MT (name?) engine and is the first Capcom game to do so.

kassatsu

Banned
All these images posted have compression artifacts. Why are we comparing them? Wait until we can get frame buffer grabs and then compare them.

360 video screen caps have less artifacts. Better version confirmed.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Looks the same, everyone wins because it's a beautiful game. Can't wait for this, the latest trailer was all kinds of amazing awesome.

InterMoniker said:
Damage! Damage Control!
Flamebait really isn't going to have any effect on my willingness to discuss with others. Feel free to keep trying, though it's your time you waste in the end.

Psychotext said:
Flamebait really isn't going to have any effect on my willingness to discuss with others. Feel free to keep trying, though it's your time you waste in the end.
phanto.jpg
O Rly Maybe it's yours brahhhhhhhh.

Barnolde

Banned
Psychotext said:
Other games use the HDD on the 360.
A few; Halo 3, Oblivion, DOA4. However, many don't. The devs of VF5 were told not to use the HDD and Mass Effect doesn't use it either. The 360's a lot like the PS2, especially in this regard, yeah, there's an HDD, but games are designed like there isn't one.

None do installs yet (afaik) but I see no reason why you couldn't offer it as an option... as long as the game still worked without it.
Get back to me when I can play a 360 game using mouse and keyboard. MS doesn't care about options, it's why the 360 is so locked down; their way or the highway.

Holy fucking shit, calm down people.

Unless there are giant glaring faults with one version of the game all this is bullshit, just enjoy the awesome game you're gonna get to play very soon.

Barnolde said:
Get back to me when I can play a 360 game using mouse and keyboard. MS doesn't care about options, it's why the 360 is so locked down; their way or the highway.
How did discussing if MS would allow partial installs to the HDD turn into talking about them not allowing KB/M? We already know they let devs use HDD space if it's there so it's not as if it's completely out of the question.

Barnolde

Banned
Psychotext said:
How did discussing if MS would allow partial installs to the HDD turn into talking about them not allowing KB/M? We already know they let devs use HDD space if it's there so it's not as if it's completely out of the question.
I think you're confusing an 'install' with a cache.

Many PS3 games cache data, but only some allow installs. That's where you install an optional, large chunk of the game, sometimes over a gig. If anything, the 360 would allow minor caching.

I don't think the loading in DMC4 would be too long for the 360 one, even without installs. Dead Rising didn't use the HDD really and the loading times were fairly annoying, but over time, especially with smaller environments, I don't think it's anything that's game-ruining.

Kasumi1970 said:
that worng The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition use the HDD.
I am getting DMC4 on the 360
You missed my last post.

Doesn't the GotY version require it because of Shivering Isles? They have that stupid 'storage required' tag with the pic of the HDD/mem card, even though the mem card isn't an option.

RBH

slidewinder said:
The version has far sharper textures, better AA, and much more complex shaders.
Dot50Cal said:
You cant tell anything like that from this video. Its bit starved to hell. from moment to moment different textures look better, worse, or the same than the other version. Its practically useless.
*woosh*

Barnolde said:
I think you're confusing an 'install' with a cache.

Many PS3 games cache data, but only some allow installs. That's where you install an optional, large chunk of the game, sometimes over a gig. If anything, the 360 would allow minor caching.
No, I know what you're saying. I just don't know that the option is completely off the table.

The install feature is something I quite like about the PS3... but as I wont have one until April at the earliest it's entirely academic for me regarding DMC4. :D

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Barnolde said:
A few; Halo 3, Oblivion, DOA4. However, many don't. The devs of VF5 were told not to use the HDD and Mass Effect doesn't use it either. The 360's a lot like the PS2, especially in this regard, yeah, there's an HDD, but games are designed like there isn't one.

Unless you work for MS or Sega, which I doubt it, Please give the link or proof that MS told AM2 not to use the HD for VF5.

kassatsu

Banned
81ggrb8.png

I am done with gametrailers. Worst fucking encoding I have ever seen. You would think with next gen HD graphics we could get some videos that are compressed to hell.

fse

looks about the same. seems a bit sharper on 360. can't wait to get it soon.

prob will get 360 versions. its got electrolytes ... err achievements.

Barnolde

Banned
Kasumi1970 said:
Unless you work for MS or Sega, which I doubt it, Please give the link or proof that MS told AM2 not to use the HD for VF5.
Ok, here it is:

Kikizo PS3 interview:
http://games.kikizo.com/features/sega_am2_interview_mar07_p2.asp
Kikizo: How useful has it been to have the Hard Disk with the PS3 version?

Murayama: VF5 utilizes the Hard Disk to shorten the load time. The important point is that the console has HDD fitted as standard equipment and because of this, it helped us a lot.

vs

Kikizo 360 interview:
http://games.kikizo.com/features/sega_am2_interview_sept07_p2.asp
Kikizo: Also, the PS3 version used a hard disc, so a guaranteed hard disc in every PS3, caching the game data made it faster to load. We have noticed this Xbox 360 build takes longer to load fights. Would you like to have used Xbox 360's hard disc to improve this?

Murayama: As you know, we can't utilise the hard disc drive for Xbox 360 titles, because Microsoft requests this. So we had to concentrate on optimising the program faster the PS3 version, and ultimately, it does depend on the stage that you are about to fight on, but I actually think that the loading time could be the same for most parts of the game.

Reason #124151 why I hate the tard pack.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Do you guys get paid to fail on the internet? Good Lord.

Dude, if that were the case, someone would be broke and I'd be swimming in my pile of money right now.

Sushen

DantesWrath said:
I honestly can't spot the difference.
In that case, achievement points and rumble feature (no, I'm not spending more money buying DualShock3 for ps3 than I've already spent) will tilt the balance for 360 for me.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'll get DMC4 on the 360. No particular reason. I just don't think the differences are that huge. Then again I need to build up my PS3 library.

Sushen

Barnolde said:
Reason #124151 why I hate the tard pack.

If I were MS, I would lower the price of 20GB HDD down to $40~50, which is how much it should cost anyway. And, the whole lack of HDD on tard pack complain will become a moot point. This way, buying a tard pack gives the customers a real chance to upgrade incrementally.

duk

Banned
Sushen said:
If I were MS, I would lower the price of 20GB HDD down to $40~50, which is how much it should cost anyway. And, the whole lack of HDD on tard pack complain will become a moot point. This way, buying a tard pack gives the customers a real chance to upgrade incrementally.

yes, but it still doesn't guarantee everyone with an hdd, thus devs can't develop a game with the hdd being the baseline

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Psychotext said:
I don't really want them to use the HD installation option as an excuse to include ridiculous load times. I'm already down to less than 10GB.

Snah

Banned
I have both systems and am getting the PS3 version. This seems to be the logical choice if you own both consoles. Better loading, slightly smoother framerate and no screen tearing (even if it's minimal), as well as better effects on the ice. Also, PS3 controller is much better for this sort of title.

But, if you only own a 360 there's certainly no reason to miss out. The port looks to be extremely well done and the differences aren't going to change your opinion on the game.

Sushen

duk said:
yes, but it still doesn't guarantee everyone with an hdd, thus devs can't develop a game with the hdd being the baseline
As a dev myself, that's a lame excuse. There is a way to detect the existence of HDD, and if they detect one, give a boost, otherwise, take slower route. Yes, it's an extra work, but it doesn't take much more work to implement one, either.

duk

Banned
Sushen said:
As a dev myself, that's a lame excuse. There is a way to detect the existence of HDD, and if they detect one, give a boost, otherwise, take slower route. Yes, it's an extra work, but it doesn't take much more work to implement one, either.

i wished that'd be the case, i really do, too bad MS didn't know PS3's launch price would be high, they'd prob have one version of the 360

Dahbomb

Oh man, so the 360 version will not have HD install? :(

The 360 fans are the ones that need that feature the most, not for the load times but for the 45-60 minute story footage of the entire series. It's good stuff from what I hear.

Darkman M

Snah said:
I have both systems and am getting the PS3 version. This seems to be the logical choice if you own both consoles. Better loading, slightly smoother framerate and no screen tearing (even if it's minimal), as well as better effects on the ice. Also, PS3 controller is much better for this sort of title.

But, if you only own a 360 there's certainly no reason to miss out. The port looks to be extremely well done and the differences aren't going to change your opinion on the game.

This game is a PC port if anything, and gaf is becoming more like gamefaqs everday holy shit.

angelfly

Dahbomb said:
Oh man, so the 360 version will not have HD install? :(

The 360 fans are the ones that need that feature the most, not for the load times but for the 45-60 minute story footage of the entire series. It's good stuff from what I hear.

I was under the impression the video played during the install or at least that's what I remember hearing on 1up show.

Dahbomb

angelfly said:
I was under the impression the video played during the install or at least that's what I remember hearing on 1up show.
Yeah that's what I said. If there is no install then there is probably no video. Maybe you can opt to view it in the main menu at your own leisure for the 360 version?

Darkman M

McDragon said:
45-60 min video?

not to troll but if it's in HD, it could be too big for dvd disc space.

It's an legitimate concern, i think they mean in game cutscenes not Fmv. I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom