• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4: PS3 Vs. Xbox 360 Comparison Vid

Dahbomb

Darkman M said:
It's an legitimate concern, i think they mean in game cutscenes not Fmv. I could be wrong though.
They aren't in-game cutscenes of DMC4 but that doesn't mean they are in HD either. They are basically a compilation video of the past DMC cutscenes (mostly DMC1/DMC3) and since those games weren't made in HD they would only be upscaled and then played back as a video. It shouldn't take that much space out of a DVD9.

watership

kassatsu said:
I am done with gametrailers. Worst fucking encoding I have ever seen. You would think with next gen HD graphics we could get some videos that are compressed to hell.

That seems like an overreaction. If you can name a site with faster download of h.265 videos with such a huge catalog, then okay.

Darkman M

Dahbomb said:
They aren't in-game cutscenes of DMC4 but that doesn't mean they are in HD either. They are basically a compilation video of the past DMC cutscenes (mostly DMC1/DMC3) and since those games weren't made in HD they would only be upscaled and then played back as a video. It shouldn't take that much space out of a DVD9.

I could have sworn to see some in game cutscenes in previews though? All the preview fmv cutcenes looked HD.

Dahbomb

Darkman M said:
I could have sworn to see some in game cutscenes in previews though? All the preview fmv cutcenes looked HD.
The install video is a PREVIOUS STORY bit, not about DMC4. DMC4's own cutscenes are made in in-game engine and then played back as a video after adding some extra effects in High Definition. The Install Video is something completely different to the cutscenes of DMC4.

Sorry for the confusion, let me put it in bullet point:

Install Video = Almost an hour long narrative compilation of previous DMC games to set up the story of DMC4. This all PS2 footage obviously and it will most likely be upscaled to HD resolutions.

DMC4 Cutscenes = Rendered in game engine and played back as a video cutscene. Displayed in HD with option to upscale to 1080P.

Darkman M

Dahbomb said:
The install video is a PREVIOUS STORY bit, not about DMC4. DMC4's own cutscenes are made in in-game engine and then played back as a video after adding some extra effects in High Definition. The Install Video is something completely different to the cutscenes of DMC4.

Install Video = Almost an hour long narrative compilation of previous DMC games to set up the story of DMC4. This all PS2 footage obviously and it will most likely be upscaled to HD resolutions.

DMC4 Cutscenes = Rendered in game engine and played back as a video cutscene. Displayed in HD with option to upscale to 1080P.

I see now thanks.

Don't think they said there was a video during the install on that podcast, just a story recap... probably just a series of loading screens full of text. It's like Lost Odyssey!

I've actually been waiting for this topic. You see, I want the PS3 version even though I have both systems. The install option in Bladestorm convinced me. 10 second load times ftw!

Harvey Hedonist said:
I've actually been waiting for this topic. You see, I want the PS3 version even though I have both systems. The install option in Bladestorm convinced me. 10 second load times ftw!

Thats pretty much the average load time on the 360 anyway, the requirement for an HD install when you have a 12x DVD is not quite as important especially if you have some caching for those who do have hard drives.

Dahbomb

Harvey Hedonist said:
That's too high. NGS and DMC4 have like 0.5 second load times. 10 second load times are like standard on most NORMAL games anyway. :lol

MCD

Why would a 360 game have HD install?

i don't remember any and besides, the load times can't be terrible (i am expecting Lost Planet load times here, 5 sec max between stages/cutscenes)

sinnergy

X360 version looks a bit(small, small) better in the texture department. But both version look basically the same. No need to over analyze this game.

Dahbomb

McDragon said:
Why would a 360 game have HD install?

i don't remember any and besides, the load times can't be terrible (i am expecting Lost Planet load times here, 5 sec max between stages/cutscenes)
Yeah 5 second max IF that. You are constantly going in and out of new/old areas so having that 5 second time reduced to 0.5 is pretty damn good but it comes at a cost of a 45 minute install. It's all up to the user in terms of what they place as priority in the 2 versions.

Again this only applies for people who have both PS3/360. People who have only 360 or only a PS3 HAVE NOTHING to worry about.

MCD

Now that i think about it, yeah in DMC you can go back and forth.

hmm...hope it won't be bad, i love my 360 controller.

xbhaskarx

inthezone said:
The sword and gun handles on the 360 version have more detailed textures. Other than that, no difference.

Yeah.

But the two versions being almost identical won't stop this thread from reaching 10 pages.

tetsuoxb

Dahbomb said:

Where is this info coming from? I haven't heard about the install footage being cutscenes, nor have I heard that the DMC4 cutscenes are going to upscale. Are you piecing together things and making conjecture, or has this been officially announced?

MCD

tetsuoxb said:
Where is this info coming from? I haven't heard about the install footage being cutscenes, nor have I heard that the DMC4 cutscenes are going to upscale. Are you piecing together things and making conjecture, or has this been officially announced?

I think he means that DMC4 native res. is 720p

and PS3/360 can upscale it to 1080p.

Dahbomb

tetsuoxb said:
I think it was confirmed that the install footage is indeed cutscenes, on the 1up podcast. Also the install footage is included as a Blu Ray disc in the new DMC4 PS3 bundle (since on the 40GB you can't play the DMC PS2 games anyway). The upscaling about the cutscenes is assumption but since the entire DMC4 game is in HD I don't know why it wouldn't be upscaled to match it, it's just cutscenes and videos not the entire game.

And yea it's also confirmed that DMC4 can be upscaled to 1080P but it runs natively at 720P in fact here's a DMC4 1080P trailer for you. I don't feel like looking for all these sources but you just have to trust me on this one as I am telling the truth not making shit up. I report mostly facts or common knowledge when related to DMC.

Zzoram

You guys do realize that adding up all the extra loading seconds will probably not even come close to 45 minutes right? I guess it's better to do the install up front though.

But if this level of sameness is to be expected from now on, you can't really go wrong with either platform.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Zzoram said:
You guys do realize that adding up all the extra loading seconds will probably not even come close to 45 minutes right? I guess it's better to do the install up front though.

Assuming you only play through once.

Any semi-serious DMC fan plays at least through to DMD. Thats 2-3 runs right there. Add in extra characters, costumes, S-Ranks, and all the joyous combat filled dicking around...

Delicious.

Vish

Banned
Egh, looks the same.

I'll be getting the PS3 version, but the 360 could sway me over with its achievements...maybe.

Why are some people complaining about having to upgrade to a DS3 controller to play DMC4? It's not like you weren't going to upgrade regardless. :lol

spoon!

Mr_Furious said:
Why are some people complaining about having to upgrade to a DS3 controller to play DMC4? It's not like you weren't going to upgrade regardless. :lol
No one complains about it in the gt5p threads, but when it comes to a multiplatform title....KABLOOF

Dahbomb

OldJadedGamer said:
Weren't you the guy that said that DMC4 would *never* launch day and date on the 360?

;)
I wasn't one of those guys, I fully recognized the possibility of DMC4 coming to the 360. I wasn't sure about the release date at all but I didn't comment on it and just stated what was fact at that time, which was that DMC3 was PS3 exclusive.

Dahbomb said:
I wasn't one of those guys, I fully recognized the possibility of DMC4 coming to the 360. I wasn't sure about the release date at all but I didn't comment on it and just stated what was fact at that time, which was that DMC3 was PS3 exclusive.

O RLY?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4589723&postcount=116

"I will bet 1 MONTH BAN that DMC4 will NOT come same day on the 360 as PS3 version. As well as my left nut."

Monmin

Why would the 360 version need to install? Why couldn't they just stream the data in while you play? Other games do this just fine.

Streaming from disc would be superior to installing anyway.

YYZ

OldJadedGamer said:
O RLY?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4589723&postcount=116

"I will bet 1 MONTH BAN that DMC4 will NOT come same day on the 360 as PS3 version. As well as my left nut."
roflcakes, everyone take a piece

Monmin said:
Why would the 360 version need to install? Why couldn't they just stream the data in while you play? Other games do this just fine.

Streaming from disc would be superior to installing anyway.
roflcakes, everyone take a piece

tetsuoxb

Dahbomb said:
I think it was confirmed that the install footage is indeed cutscenes, on the 1up podcast. Also the install footage is included as a Blu Ray disc in the new DMC4 PS3 bundle (since on the 40GB you can't play the DMC PS2 games anyway). The upscaling about the cutscenes is assumption but since the entire DMC4 game is in HD I don't know why it wouldn't be upscaled to match it, it's just cutscenes and videos not the entire game.

And yea it's also confirmed that DMC4 can be upscaled to 1080P but it runs natively at 720P in fact here's a DMC4 1080P trailer for you. I don't feel like looking for all these sources but you just have to trust me on this one as I am telling the truth not making shit up. I report mostly facts or common knowledge when related to DMC.

The 1UP Podcast never said a thing about cutscenes. They said it showed a video of the history of DMC. They also said the current review copy install is 40 minutes, but that they hope it will be shorter in the retail version. But you seem to have taken that to mean 40-60 minute digest of previous DMC games... Which would leave little room for it to be shorter as you'd be cutting story content.

The contents of the blu-ray disc package are listed as below per impress gamewatch. http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071220/ps3.htm

Impress Game Watch said:
パッケージに同梱される「デビル メイ クライ 4」のプレミアム映像では、エンディングも含む同作のストーリーをダイジェストした映像が、約60分に渡って展開される。
tetsuoxb translation: The included Devil May Cry 4 premium footage is a story digest from DMC4 including the game's ending. It is approximately 60 minutes in duration.

I bolded 同作 because that means "this same title", and not previous DMC games.

Obviously, the 360 version of the game can be upscaled to 1080p, but I've never seen a single word either way on the PS3 version being upscaled. An upscaled mp4 of a trailer does not mean the game will be upscaled, so it is an assumption on your part.

I think you really want to like DMC4, and I really want to like it as well; however, if you want to be trusted, you need to stick to facts and not conjecture.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
The 360 load times mean nothing for me but i DO want that video that you watch while it installs on ps3.

If we don't get that I will be a bit sad and someone better youtube it for me :'(

Dire

I sure am glad they utilized the HDD. Now maybe console games can start performing more like PC games which instantly load everything just because there's an HDD. Awesome!

YYZ

Dire said:
I sure am glad they utilized the HDD. Now maybe console games can start performing more like PC games which instantly load everything just because there's an HDD. Awesome!
it's still not instant on PC, not until the solid state hard drives come down in price :D

Top Bottom