• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4: PS3 Vs. Xbox 360 Comparison Vid

vantastic

mr_bishiuk said:
Ok you know what I mean, they have sold a couple of hundred thousand units, those titles shouldn't have majorily impacted on the ability of other PS3 game to sell well as they have simply haven't sold that many.
*looks at thread title*
*reads this quote*
*looks at thread title*

are you in the wrong thread? why the hell has this turned into how many copies XXX sold?

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
Agreed but those titles did not effect the ability of 360 owners to buy other games quite as much and I put that down to 360 owners generally being more hardcore. Thats my theory anyway.
Yes it did. The only other major 360 release in the period was Mass Effect and it didn't do close to as good. In comparison to the userbase, it did just as badly as Uncharted

Yoboman

Monmin said:
Well I've never played a game that loads instantaneously, so excuse me if I don't jump on this hype train quite so fast.
You need to play more games, obviously. As others have mentioned -> Uncharted

spoon!

NemesisPrime said:
All in all, when the game comes out, big chance the 360 version will have the edge anyway... PS3 Lost Planet looked a bit iffy. I don't have uber confidence in the engine on PS3 atm.

Good idea, lets ignore all the footage and posts in this thread and base everything off what we've seen of Lost Planet :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The Faceless Master said:
what they mean is you can't *install* to the HDD, any game can use the HDD as a cache.

maybe they just didn't feel like coding a cache system?

many other games use the HDD to cache data just fine.
maybe it's harder to develop a caching system on a system that does not always have a HDD?

Yoboman

NemesisPrime said:
Or maybe base our experience on the engine that powers the game?
Or maybe just look at the game we're talking about

WTF does a bad, still early, outsourced port have to do with DMC4?

vantastic said:
*looks at thread title*
*reads this quote*
*looks at thread title*

are you in the wrong thread? why the hell has this turned into how many copies XXX sold?

Read the thread before commenting

Yoboman said:
Yes it did. The only other major 360 release in the period was Mass Effect and it didn't do close to as good. In comparison to the userbase, it did just as badly as Uncharted

You are just looking at that releases that month not the months running upto Novemeber, how many possible gaming hours have been lost to Halo3 for instance?

Besides Mass effect is an RPG and less of a mainstream title than Uncharted so the comparision is not quite fair imo.

neorej said:
maybe it's harder to develop a caching system on a system that does not always have a HDD?
or maybe it's easier not to do it since only some people will use it?

the point is, they had the option to do it, like other devs had the option to do it.

i can't say if it was due to time or budget or logistics constraints, but some do, some don't.

Yoboman

mr_bishiuk said:
Read the thread before commenting

You are just looking at that month not the months running upto it, how many hours have been lost to Halo3 for instance? Besides Mass effect is an RPG and less of a mainstream title than Uncharted so the comparision is not quite fair imo.
Mass Effect is a colourful, pulp action third person shooter. Versus a sci-fi RPG with shooter gunplay. I would say Uncharted is the one at disadvantage

Either way - both had similar competition in November, both had a similar amount of thunder stolen I expect

Monmin

neorej said:
You haven't played Uncharted, have you?
No, but after a quick search I see that Uncharted streams everything from disc from the start of the game to the end of the game. I assume there is still an initial load of some sort, it may be just during the game boot.

But anyway, Uncharted doesn't require an install. Which brings me back to my point, except for the initial load most of the game data can be streamed in while playing.

Something tells me we better wait for the whole story on this before we come to any conclusions.

Yoboman

Monmin said:
No, but after a quick search I see that Uncharted streams everything from disc from the start of the game to the end of the game. I assume there is still an initial load of some sort, it may be just during the game boot.

But anyway, Uncharted doesn't require an install. Which brings me back to my point, except for the initial load most of the game data can be streamed in while playing.

Something tells me we better wait for the whole story on this before we come to any conclusions.
Streaming games have to be designed specifically to stream. DMC4 does not do that. It has load times that take 3 - 5 (max) seconds when going from room to room. Installing on HDD allows that to be cut down dramaticaly - to the point where the loading is reportedly seamless

Why are you "waiting for the whole story"? We know the story, it's been reported multiple times

Yoboman said:
They said it has the difference was subtle, but the 360 version had tearing and a slightly lower framerate, and judging by the videos I'm seeing - they are completely right. Still, it's not a big difference
Umm, to the best of my knowledge there's only one comparison vid out so far... this one. There's no difference in framerate and no tearing visibile in it at all that I can see. Feel free to point out some time periods where there's tearing and framerate drops though, as maybe it's just my eyes.

Monmin

Yoboman said:
Streaming games have to be designed specifically to stream. DMC4 does not do that. It has load times that take 3 - 5 (max) seconds when going from room to room. Installing on HDD allows that to be cut down dramaticaly - to the point where the loading is reportedly seamless

Why are you "waiting for the whole story"? We know the story, it's been reported multiple times
Sorry, only reporting I'm aware of is 1up Yours and they never played the 360 version. I will take what Shane speculated on with a grain of salt.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Monmin said:

Yes, the game only loads on game-boot. But you have to take in effect that Uncharted was designed for the PS3-system specifically, AND by Naughty Dog; a team of some of the best programmers in the industry.
As pointed out earlier; DMC-games are as linear as games get, I don't expect DMC4 to be any different. Which makes the data that needs to be loaded extremely easy to predict, as well as the moment on which it has to be preloaded. This pre-loading will occur on the 360 as well on the PS3 I assume. But the speeds of the HDD are per definition faster than DVD-speed, so you will see no loading screen on the PS3 on the transition from level A to B, whereas the 360 will probably still be busy loading during that transition, hence the loadingscreen.

Loadingscreens or not, I think this game will blow everyone away, both gameplay and graphicswise, so I think both 360- and PS3-owners will enjoy the living shit out of themselves.

Yoboman

Psychotext said:
Umm, to the best of my knowledge there's only one comparison vid out so far... this one. There's no difference in framerate and no tearing visibile in it at all that I can see. Feel free to point out some time periods where there's tearing and framerate drops though, as maybe it's just my eyes.
The frame rate is visibly less smooth than PS3 for almost the whole video. Never choppy just less smooth.

I'll post two of the many pics of tearing that was pointed out in the 360 videos Gametrailers posted yesterday (different thread)

7x28ydv.jpg

81ja99s.jpg

Yoboman

Monmin said:
Sorry, only reporting I'm aware of is 1up Yours and they never played the 360 version. I will take what Shane speculated on with a grain of salt.
Shane has played it on 360, as did Bryan. Go watch the 1up Show

FFChris

Yoboman said:
The frame rate is visibly less smooth than PS3 for almost the whole video. Never choppy just less smooth.

I'll post two of the many pics of tearing that was pointed out in the 360 videos Gametrailers posted yesterday (different thread)

Tearing also happens in the PS3 side of the comparison, right at the start of the video in fact, both platforms stutter and show tearing at exactly the same spot.

Edit: The PS3 version is clearly the smoother, it just isn't without its own faults.

BeeDog

Ugh, people should just accept that the two versions are so damn alike and stop trying to find a "clear" winner all the time. Base your platform-of-choice purchase of DMC4 based on either the controller or how important additional options are for you. Geez...

spwolf

Yoboman said:

7x28ydv.jpg

81ja99s.jpg

i know what version TTP is getting :D

Yoboman

FFChris said:
Tearing also happens in the PS3 side of the comparison, right at the start of the video in fact, both platforms stutter and show tearing at exactly the same spot.
Is it from gameplay or cutscene? The cutscenes are all pre-recorded video from the PC dev kit version, so if it's tearing in a cutscene - than it'll be from the source (and thus in both versions)

FFChris

Yoboman said:
Is it from gameplay or cutscene? The cutscenes are all pre-recorded video from the PC dev kit version, so if it's tearing in a cutscene - than it'll be from the source (and thus in both versions)

Cutscene, well, when the screen is panning around the enviroment at the start of the level. That would make sense though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Monmin said:

Brian Intahar said this, not Shane. It seems so easy for people to hate on Shane for something he never said.

here's my two cents:;

360vsPS3.png

the 360 version seems to have a cleaner look. Better aliasing and better lighting. I didn't see any tearing. Also it has better contrast

The PS3 version has more of a darker muddier thing goin for it. Like, it make it look gritty. Thats all I can say about that.

they are both identical. But there is better texture work on the 360 version

Monmin

Yoboman said:
Shane has played it on 360, as did Bryan. Go watch the 1up Show
What is it they said in the show that has you so convinced? In the podcast Shane speculated that there might be a load time on the 360 arcade (because of lack of hdd). He wasn't confirming anything, it was speculation.

Considering that there are plenty of games that can stream just fine from disc I question if his doubts are warranted.

Monmin

neojubei said:
Brian Intahar said this, not Shane. It seems so easy for people to hate on Shane for something he never said.
1. not hating on Shane
2. it was Shane that noted there was no load time when he entered the cathederal and he speculated the experience might not be the same on 360 arcade.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NemesisPrime said:
Vibration and Achievements. 360 for me.

All in all, when the game comes out, big chance the 360 version will have the edge anyway... PS3 Lost Planet looked a bit iffy. I don't have uber confidence in the engine on PS3 atm.

Its a new engine, not the same as Lost Planet. In fact this game was built from the ground up on the PS3 and you are saying it will not have an edge because of the crappy lost planet port? oh man.

Thanks for the tearing thing... was really looking for an examples from the side by side vid just simply because that obviously proves where one console has it and the other doesn't. Still, as others have said - differences seem so slight that it's probably not worth worrying about it. :D

MCD

neojubei said:
Its a new engine, not the same as Lost Planet. In fact this game was built from the ground up on the PS3 and you are saying it will not have an edge because of the crappy lost planet port? oh man.

Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4 and RE5 are all based on the same engine.

MT Framework.

Monmin

neojubei said:
From http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3021/the_devil_laughs_a_chat_with_.php

The MT Framework -- is that the engine that you used for the game? I know that Lost Planet also uses the same engine as DMC4. Is it also used for Dead Rising and other projects? Can you talk about that, please?

HK: I can't really talk much about the technical aspects of the MT Framework. It is the same one as was used in Dead Rising and Lost Planet and a lot of our next-generation games. Really, it's sort of a combination of all of the game know-how that we at Capcom possess. Basically, it's an environment for all the planners, programmers, directors, sound designers, and all of the people who are involved in the process of the game to work on something, for them to be able to work on it easily.

It also sounds like they are not developing on PS3 and then porting it to 360 and PC. Rather they are developing simultaneously on all 3 platforms and verifying that each plays smoothly.

OutlawAdidas said:

lady.png

the 360 version seems to have a cleaner look. Better aliasing and better lighting. I didn't see any tearing. Also it has better contrast

The PS3 version has more of a darker muddier thing goin for it. Like, it make it look gritty. Thats all I can say about that.

Yeah, you're not gonna notice when you're playing the game.

Yoboman

OutlawAdidas said:

360vsPS3.png

Those images are from the cutscenes. The cutscenes are the same pre-rendered video. The difference is probably a lower quality encoding in the PS3 half of the video

Yoboman

Monmin said:
What is it they said in the show that has you so convinced? In the podcast Shane speculated that there might be a load time on the 360 arcade (because of lack of hdd). He wasn't confirming anything, it was speculation.

Considering that there are plenty of games that can stream just fine from disc I question if his doubts are warranted.
He PLAYED it

Pistolero

It was my understanding that DMC4 runs on the framewark engine, the vey one that gave birth to Lost Planet. I see then no reason to notice a differnce between versions. Maybe I got it wrong, but this is no port.

The only major difference may only be the loading times. Here's a question for GAF...Which would you prefer if the total load time for both the 360 and PS3 version was 45 minutes:

1. Load the game to the harddrive for about 45 minutes and then experience no load times.

2. Experience load times throughout the game like we regularly experience now.

I'd probably pick #1 because I'm not the type of gamer that needs to rip right into a game. Most of my purchases sit in the cellophane a couple of days before I play it.

Doc Evils

Yoboman said:
Those images are from the cutscenes. The cutscenes are the same pre-rendered video. The difference is probably a lower quality encoding in the PS3 half of the video

pretty much. I do love the aliasing comment though. I guess the PC render for the PS3 version wasn't as good lulz.

FFChris

TwoForFlinching said:
The only major difference may only be the loading times. Here's a question for GAF...Which would you prefer if the total load time for both the 360 and PS3 version was 45 minutes:

1. Load the game to the harddrive for about 45 minutes and then experience no load times.

2. Experience load times throughout the game like we regularly experience now

I'd prefer the former, though the first 45 minutes would be annoying. Oh, but the 45 minutes apparently include a commentry on the other games.. so you won't be that bored.

Regardless, I don't have a PS3, so I'll have to stick with the crappy regular loading. Waaah.

tetsuoxb

Yoboman said:

Why are you so sure the cutscenes are pre-rendered? Where is this coming from?

Yoboman

This is the only actual graphical difference I have noticed ingame

Downgraded enemies on 360:

89q10zn.jpg
8aziq93.jpg

tetsuoxb said:
Why are you so sure the cutscenes are pre-rendered? Where is this coming from?

That's how Capcom has done their cutscenes for every game I can think of, even way back with DMC3

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yoboman said:
This is the only actual graphical difference I have noticed ingame

Downgraded enemies on 360:

89q10zn.jpg
8aziq93.jpg

That's how Capcom has done their cutscenes for every game I can think of, even way back with DMC3

Whoa, Xbox 360 has more orbs; mainstream-version confirmed!

Top Bottom