• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4: PS3 Vs. Xbox 360 Comparison Vid

tetsuoxb

Yoboman said:
That's how Capcom has done their cutscenes for every game I can think of, even way back with DMC3

That is not true. Every framework game has been in-engine, and one of the key points of the TGS 2006 DMC4 presentation was showing the Dante kicked in the face cutscene was all real-time. There was an NHK special here in Japan where they did a tour of the DMC4 team and talked about in-engine cutscenes, especially how they were focusing on lip syncing.. Also, Capcom's president mumbled unintelligibly in an interview with the broadcasters.

This thread is entirely based on assumption and conjecture from tidbits of data filtered through system fanboyism. I'm thinking a lock is imminent.

NeonBlade

Banned
Neons take?

They both look like ass. Honestly and seriously, but I guess this is what we must settle for from a midware variant engine to get 60 FPS. Across the 3 platforms.

Monmin

neorej said:
Yes, the game only loads on game-boot. But you have to take in effect that Uncharted was designed for the PS3-system specifically, AND by Naughty Dog; a team of some of the best programmers in the industry.
As pointed out earlier; DMC-games are as linear as games get, I don't expect DMC4 to be any different. Which makes the data that needs to be loaded extremely easy to predict, as well as the moment on which it has to be preloaded. This pre-loading will occur on the 360 as well on the PS3 I assume. But the speeds of the HDD are per definition faster than DVD-speed, so you will see no loading screen on the PS3 on the transition from level A to B, whereas the 360 will probably still be busy loading during that transition, hence the loadingscreen.

Loadingscreens or not, I think this game will blow everyone away, both gameplay and graphicswise, so I think both 360- and PS3-owners will enjoy the living shit out of themselves.
I agree that your scenario is possible however as far as I know we don't really have any evidence that this is the case.

I'm starting to think the only source of this 'loading' issue is the 1up yours podcast which was nothing more than speculation anyway.

DMC4 does have nice graphics, but so does Uncharted and Assasins Creed and both of them were able to stream from disc seamlessly.

It really comes down to how DMC4 was designed. The fact that PS3 version requires installation doesn't sound good, but that may be beacuse ps3's blu-ray drive is slower than 360s dvd. I don't know, but I will wait for confirmation.

Yoboman

tetsuoxb said:
That is not true. Every framework game has been in-engine, and one of the key points of the TGS 2006 DMC4 presentation was showing the Dante kicked in the face cutscene was all real-time. There was an NHK special here in Japan where they did a tour of the DMC4 team and talked about in-engine cutscenes, especially how they were focusing on lip syncing.. Also, Capcom's president mumbled unintelligibly in an interview with the broadcasters.

This thread is entirely based on assumption and conjecture from tidbits of data filtered through system fanboyism. I'm thinking a lock is imminent.
They are in-engine, but not real time. Just like Heavenly Sword or Uncharted. They are recorded with the in-engine graphics (with some filters and tweaks), and played back as video on the disc

They did this with LP, Dead Rising, RE4, God Hand, DMC3. You name it

Xyphie

Yoboman said:
That's how Capcom has done their cutscenes for every game I can think of, even way back with DMC3

RE4 Gamecube/Wii uses the game engine for cutscenes iirc. PS2 version used pre-rendered footage from the gamecube version though.

Using the game engine itself for cutscenes makes the most sense, space on the 360 DVD is limited and lossless video compression takes up huge disc space.

MCD

Yoboman said:
They are in-engine, but not real time. Just like Heavenly Sword or Uncharted. They are recorded with the in-engine graphics (with some filters and tweaks), and played back as video on the disc

DR? but in DR you can see whatever you wear in cutscenes.

now that can't be a video.

Yoboman

Xyphie said:
RE4 Gamecube/Wii uses the game engine for cutscenes iirc. PS2 version used pre-rendered footage from the gamecube version though.

Using the game engine itself for cutscenes makes the most sense, space on the 360 DVD is limited and lossless video compression takes up huge disc space.
Nope, it was most definitely videos in RE4 because they were full of compression artifacts. It was actually one of my biggest gripes with RE4 because it made the cutscenes look a lot worse

The PS2 version used the same videos

tetsuoxb

Yoboman said:

Incorrect. They only use recorded cutscenes when rendering them in real-time would cause noticeable framerate drops. For instance, almost all cutscenes in GC RE4 are real-time, but the PS2 version are FMV as you described. Hence why costume changes are not reflected.

Yoboman, you are wrong on this one. If you want to argue about why, we can do it in PM.

Yoboman

McDragon said:
DR? but in DR you can see whatever you wear in cutscenes.

now that can't be a video.
Yeah you're right about DR, actually. My bad, I still haven't played it.

They definitely look more in-engine though

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:

Lost Planet and Dead Rising used realtime cutscenes. Stop saying stuff when you don't know what you are talking about.

Yoboman

tetsuoxb said:
Incorrect. They only use recorded cutscenes when rendering them in real-time would cause noticeable framerate drops. For instance, almost all cutscenes in GC RE4 are real-time, but the PS2 version are FMV as you described. Hence why costume changes are not reflected.

Yoboman, you are wrong on this one.
Maybe Gamecube, all other versions were videos though. DMC3 however was definitely video, as costumes did not appear in cutscenes

TTP said:
and somewhat pointless coinsidering neither is running at 60fps.

so when is the ultimate 60fps, high quality encoded, high resolution comparison going to appear on gamersyde ?
Should be already there ....ts ts.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
natureman3 said:
so when is the ultimate 60fps, high quality encoded, high resolution comparison going to appear on gamersyde ?
Should be already there ....ts ts.
Capcom doesn't even talk to us, so getting preview builds isn't going to happen...

Feindflug

Both versions look the same to me - it seems that both versions have their pros: no loading times and of course SIXAXIS for the PS3 version and rumble/achievements/standard 1080p support for the 360 version.

I'm getting the 360 version as I don't have a PS3 yet and don't plan to get one soon.

Capcom did a great job on this one.

segarr

There's a cheat code in LP that lets you move the camera around during cutscenes so it's definitely not a video. Anyways, I was going to skip out on this because I thought the 360 version would be vastly inferior, but like Burnout Paradise the versions seem to be much more equal than Shane led me to believe.

Yoboman

Blimblim said:
Lost Planet and Dead Rising used realtime cutscenes. Stop saying stuff when you don't know what you are talking about.
I recalled people calling out Lost Planet at some point for having pre-rendered cutscenes. Was that false then?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Yoboman said:
I recalled people calling out Lost Planet at some point for having pre-rendered cutscenes. Was that false then?

I think Lost Planet was the only one that has videos on the disc. As for Dead Rising, that definitely was in-game.

Blimblim said:
Sometimes in January.

Can't come soon enough :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:
I only went to the 4th level, but all the cutscenes I saw until then were realtime.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:
Well in any case, the cutscenes on PS3 and 360 look identical for DMC4
If they weren't realtime you'd most definitely see a difference between the PS3 and 360 because of the compression. A game like Lost Planed used more than hour of cutscenes and I'm pretty sure DMC4 has more than that, and fitting this plus the actual game on a DVD9 would require some serious compression.

Yoboman

Blimblim said:
If they weren't realtime you'd most definitely see a difference between the PS3 and 360 because of the compression. A game like Lost Planed used more than hour of cutscenes and I'm pretty sure DMC4 has more than that, and fitting this plus the actual game on a DVD9 would require some serious compression.
Would something like that even be noticable considering GT is compressing them to roughly the same quality anyway?

Yoboman said:
Would something like that even be noticable considering GT is compressing them to roughly the same quality anyway?
Hard to tell. From what posters here are saying the PS3 half of the GT comparison vid is using a lower grade encode which is why you get the extra detail on a few things in the 360 half.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:
Compression of compression usually is very blatant ;)
Hard to tell. From what posters here are saying the PS3 half of the GT comparison vid is using a lower grade encode which is why you get the extra detail on a few things in the 360 half.
No. Just no.

Blimblim said:
No. Just no.
That's not very helpful. Are you saying that the PS3 source quality was not a lower level than the 360 source quality?

[Edit - I know my original post makes it appear like I'm saying they've got different bitrates in the same file... but I'm talking about the sources used to create the end product. I'm not that stupid. :lol ]

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Psychotext said:
That's not very helpful. Are you saying that the PS3 source quality was not a lower level than the 360 source quality?

[Edit - I know my original post makes it appear like I'm saying they've got different bitrates in the same file... but I'm talking about the sources used to create the end product. I'm not that stupid. :lol ]
Anyone with half a brain uses uncompressed videos when working on capturing/editing stuff.

Yoboman

Blimblim said:
Anyone with half a brain uses uncompressed videos when working on capturing/editing stuff.
You've got an eye for this

360vsPS3.png

To me, it looks like there is quite a bit more artifacting on the PS3 side. You're a better judge though

Yoboman said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/outlawsage/360vsPS3.png[img]

To me, it looks like there is quite a bit more artifacting on the PS3 side. You're a better judge though[/QUOTE]

PS3 has shinier boobage. Definitive version CONFIRMED.

Dahbomb

I don't see how this thread has reached 8 pages, any idiot can see the versions are far too identical to be raising in any claims about superior graphical version. Most of the posts I see in this thread are joke posts anyway. There really isn't much to discuss about in this thread.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm getting the PS3 version because of the controller

the game is supposedly good on both, graphical comparisons be damned

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:

360vsPS3.png

To me, it looks like there is quite a bit more artifacting on the PS3 side. You're a better judge though
Looks horrible on both sides, and since the PS3 is very slightly darker it gets more macroblocks. Also the light is no the right of the picture, so the PS3 side gets a lot less light, adding to the visible macroblocks.

Yoboman

Blimblim said:
Looks horrible on both sides, and since the PS3 is very slightly darker it gets more macroblocks. Also the light is no the right of the picture, so the PS3 side gets a lot less light, adding to the visible macroblocks.
In the background it's lighter, but there's definitely more of a presence of macro blocks and artifacting back there, less clarity overall. And again around her cheeks and hairline, but you're right that is mostly because it is darker compared to the other side

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yoboman said:
In the background it's lighter, but there's definitely more of a presence of macro blocks and artifacting back there, less clarity overall. And again around her cheeks and hairline, but you're right that is mostly because it is darker compared to the other side
There are some terrible macroblocks on the lower right too you know...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blimblim said:

She's hot whatever side you look at tho. :p

Top Bottom