• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

Ostinatto

i remember seeing Microsoft paid him around 2 billion dollars.

2 billion dollars.

But thats nothing compared with the Philosophers' Legacy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Often depression from poverty is not depression from physically lacking the money you want, but rather feeling inadequate or being unhappy that you cannot have what you want. Having more money is only a band-aid for that. Once you have adjusted to a lifestyle standard befitting your wealth, there will be lots of new barriers to be depressed about. For most people, there will always be those richer and more successful than you, and there will always be more things out of your reach no matter how rich you are. That can all lead to having the same depressed feelings.

Here's another armchair analysis to add to the pile : Notch is unhappy because starting from anonymity, he managed to create, very gradually and over a period of several years, one of the biggest successes in the history of software. But along the way he never stopped to redefine himself or his life goals. That shows a lack of foresight more than anything else. But luckily for him it's a life lesson anyone can learn and it's not too late to learn it!

McHuj

Did employees have any equity in the minecraft studio and shared in the buyout or was the Notch bonus the only thing received?

So stop partying in Ibiza and do something constructive. Fund the development of some games and get involved.

Psychonauts 2 still needs making.

I remember watching him develop a game during a stream, some Wolfenstein-style FPS for a gamejam. He's a damn monster when it comes to game development, it's like watching a master craftsman in action. He needs something to pour his focus into again. (It's really sad he petered out on 0x10c, I liked his direction for the game.)

The problem is, he's probably tired of corporate bullshit, and maybe some of the crazy asshole fans. I get the impression that handling all the legal overhead, making public appearances, major business decisions, etc. got to him.

Some of you guys don't seem to fully understand what depression is.

it's not like when people say "oh i'm depressed" when they're just feeling a bit sad.

it's a deep hole that's tough to get out of.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
My father is 600k in debt so I'd happily unburden him -- would go to a great cause.

ITT: People still believe that money buys you happiness and rich people never have problems in their lives.
Congratulations, you officially have the mind set of an 8 year old.
GTFO with that bullshit. I suffer from depression and my job isn't going to give me a day off if I don't feel like getting out of bed. The problem with his tweets is that he has the means to do something about his problems and it's sounds like he's not doing shit. Most people do not have the money to take care of what they need to and take care of their own mental well being. Hence the lack of empathy for Notch.

What he's complaining about is the freedom wealth has given him. He can do whatever he wants and his friends can't. Well, he can fix that. He could start something else and hire his friends. He could help pay off friends debt and throw them some cash if he wants to change what they're going through. If he wants to be a regular joe he can give the money away but he isn't going to do that. So fuck him. I can't feel bad about a person who has options bitching like he has none. He didn't have to buy that house. He didn't have to move. He doesn't have to party in Ibiza. He doesn't have to do a lot of the things that make him miserable.

Or Maybe he's just a fucking asshole feeling sorry for himself? He's certainly lost perspective. Even in his one tweet he talks about pulling an Elon Musk but he doesn't want to deal with the people that apparently made him sell mine craft. So at that point my question to him would be "so what the fuck are you going to do?" He has the means to do whatever he wants. Get some help and do something to put meaning back in your life. Telling former coworkers "fuck you all" after he was bitching that they hate him doesn't really take into account why they might hate him. And making excuses for why you don't want to do anything with yourself on twitter is a bad look.

Oberon

Banned
It's a sad state of affairs when some people are convinced that everyone has to be "worse" than them in terms of societal standing in order to gain their sympathy.

I don't know if it's jealousy, naivety or both.

Yeah, let's concentrate on the one thing and ignore the rest of what I said. With the second part I meant that I could maybe sympathise with him if he did some good deeds with his money. As for now, I don't know this what sort of person Notch is.

You could also live like you don't have the money. I know people that are very wealthy (though not that wealthy) and living within artificially limited means allows them to no let the money take over.

Yes I know some who are like that. The wealth is right at the back of their mind and carry one as a normal earner.

Trouble with Notch possibly is how well known and large his wealth is means people resent you or are even scared by it.

If he's depressed then the money has nothing to do with it. I feel though it's more isolation, the drive has gone, the friends are not friends anymore, the new friends are fake and material objects don't bring you happiness, once you have too much you have big problems of security taking over your life and you have to mix with a certain set of people who are in your boat and I don't think Notch is one of those types so I think he might have to relinquish most of his wealth and of course he doesn't want to waste half his life talking to suits and sharks looking to swindle him into so called good projects.

Caronte

it's not like when people say "oh i'm depressed" when they're just feeling a bit sad.

I doubt a truly depressed person would party in Ibiza to be honest.

Right here in this thread. You can join all the other Gaffers that think the same, there's a lot of you.

I feel sad for Notch but what can you really expect of people at this point? It's a shame everyone sees his money first and then him but that just shows how stupid important money's become in our everyday lives.

If I were Notch, I wouldn't be talking about my life online. Especially not on twitter where there's more Negativity than any bit of Positiveness.

I dont know why he is shocked that the Mojang team dislikes him. They worked very hard to build so ething up, invested themselves in it and in Notch. Then he sells out for massive payoff to a large company that Mojang staff may not have been all that keen on being owned by and tosses them some of his table scraps on the way out.

Combined with all the crap he spewed from his high horse over the years only to sell out, it makes perfect sense they are bitter about his bullshit.

Sounds like lines from a Drake album

Using my friends with family as deflections against the thoughts that come when I stare at my reflection, yeah.

Been months since I sold my company but Im still askin what did they really want from me, yeah.

SgtCobra

I'm not saying money will make him instantly happy and erase all his problems but money buys you professional help, it also seems like he doesn't like his current lifestyle and guess what, money can change that. Depression is no joke but to say his wealth can't change some of his problems is not true if you ask me.

There are tons of people who can't search for help because of their financial status. Fortunately for Markus he's not one of them.

moniker

I dont know why he is shocked that the Mojang team dislikes him. They worked very hard to build so ething up, invested themselves in it and in Notch. Then he sells out for massive payoff to a large company that Mojang staff may not have been all that keen on being owned by and tosses them some of his table scraps on the way out.

Combined with all the crap he spewed from his high horse over the years only to sell out, it makes perfect sense they are bitter about his bullshit.

Table scraps? Those guys were lucky, they basically won the lottery.

He needs to get off his ass and help change the world with that wad of cash he has. Focus on one of the myriad problems of the world. Fund a fix for it. Pick a disease. Fund research for a cure. It just pisses me off to no end that he is just sitting on that money while watching Twitch and being emo on Twitter.

i don't think people who are actually depressed whine about it on twitter using multiple posts, that just sounds like they're bored and want attention.

bj00rn_

Banned
I know. Still somehow amusing

If you have depression you should know better than reducing depression down to a quantification of fame and money.

i don't think people who are actually depressed whine about it on twitter using multiple posts, that just sounds like they're bored and want attention.

So now we're measuring depression by how many twitter messages people are posting.. gaf is so fact-based..

Feel bad for him, and even worse, feel bad that his emotional tweets get him criticized on a fan forum like this one.

Who says the guy is depressed?

Tweets look pretty indicative of it, as much as anybody could glean about anything. None of us are capable of giving him a clinical evaluation, but all of us are capable of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pretty disappointed with a lot of the juvenile responses in here and elsewhere, showcasing a fairly unprecedented and frankly unwarranted apathy and at times hostility towards a person's wellbeing simply because of their perceived fame and wealth. It's not about trying to diagnose him with a form of depression from your armchair (which is also foolishly reactionary). It's simply about having a modicum of empathy for another human being and the realities of wealth and power and the irrefutable fact these are not flawless conduits to perfectly happy life, and that a person's life and state of happiness can be influenced both positively and negatively by extreme surges in wealth and fame.

It's just a dude expressing reasonable (and hardly original) frustrations at where he's at in life due to his wealth and status relative to his social life and the difficulties this has introduced. The idea that the wealthy, extremely wealthy even, have no right to frustration or feeling depressed about these changes and difficulties is just absurd.

By the same leap of logic nobody in a developed Western country has the right to feel depressed. Why should I care if you're living paycheque to paycheque and couldn't go out for beers this weekend? Why should I care about your apparent financial hardships when your country, in most cases, does offer some form of financial and/or housing and/or food support in the most extreme situations? You're still, comparatively to the rest of the world, in the more wealthy, better off economic and lifestyle brackets. You don't know what full poverty and survivalism is. Got a TV? A computer? A phone? Fuck you, you really don't know how well you have it.

Yet I can muster genuine empathy for your hardships because I'm well aware that wealth and comparison to the rest of the world doesn't guarantee happiness.

Notch is just a sad dude, wearing his grievances on his sleeve, because he's wealthy as fuck and despite this feeling like the essential components of a happy life (friends, love, and fun) aren't happening, and in some cases seemingly falling apart because of the wealth. Knocking him back on these points, which are neither here or there as it's just him being him as honest as possible, because "NO, YOU HAVE MONEY" is just baffling.

DedValve

Banned

Your right about the attention because he's saying exactly that in those tweets but unless you are a professional psychiatrist and personally gave him a psych evaluation then your probably not the best person to determine if he is depressed or not. None of us are. Nor can we judge how someone who may be depressed act.

Puweyxil

Banned
Well damn Notch what are you sitting around for? Get out there and see all the wonders of the world. And get rid of that ridiculous house.

RMI

Banned
I hope he feels better eventually. Sounds like he has a lot of regrets about choices he's made and where it got him. It's hard, but in situations like that you have to push forward.

Yazuka

I'll gladly take the money from you mr.Notch. So you can return to a normal life. I wouldn't mind the cash, not at all...

Skinpop

We don't know if he's actually depressed or just sad. I've never been clinically diagnosed with depression, but I've felt like I had it for a long time in my life (and still feel that way sometimes). And trust me, if I would have had any chance to change it I would have done so.

You don't get depressed for no reason, you just need to find what it is. He has the time and money to seek professional help, and the money to do what's necessary to get better. From those tweets it looks like he doesn't like his lifestyle. He has no responsibilities or family, what's preventing him to change it?

you say that he has time and money, but that doesn't matter if his mindset isn't set on improvement.

I also find the money brute force argument to be kinda ridiculous. when depressed you will be limited by energy. each failure will set you back hugely, especially so emotionally. so unless you find the right person to help you within the first few tries it's likely you just give up.
the idea that a depressed person could keep doing research on treatments and travel around seeing these professionals until they find success like some sort of self-entrepreneur doesn't reflect reality at all in my opinion.

Harmen

GTFO with that bullshit. He has the means to do something about his problems. What he's complaining about is the freedom wealth has given him. He can do whatever he wants and his friends can't. Well, he can fix that. He could start something else and hire his friends. He could help pay off friends debt and throw them some cash if he wants to change what they're going through. If he wants to be a regular joe he can give the money away but he isn't going to do that. So fuck him. I can't feel bad about a person who has options bitching like he has none. He didn't have to buy that house. He didn't have to move. He doesn't have to party in Ibiza. He doesn't have to do a lot of the things that make him miserable. Maybe he's just a fucking asshole? He's certainly lost perspective.

If you have mental problems, none of the thing you mentioned are easy to do. In my country most people, the rich and the poor, have the means to get help for their problems, that is how our system works. But that doesn't mean the slightest it is easy for them do actually get help, from a mental perspective. And on top of that, if you get mad rich, people around you are bound to treat you differently, wheter you like it or not. And that can take it's toll on you too.

Money may give openings to more possibilities, sure, but it doesn't make mental health and personal relations any easier. What you are saying to me is the same as saying a severely depressed person doesn't have to sit home all day, he can go out an talk to people, ask friends/family to come over, seek for new hobbies, do volunteraly work etc. They sure can. Physically those things are all very simple to arrange for nearly every person at any time, but does that make it easy for them? I think not. A friend of mine had a severe depression and I had troubles understanding him for this very reason.

Pretty disappointed with a lot of the juvenile responses in here and elsewhere, showcasing a fairly unprecedented and frankly unwarranted apathy and at times hostility towards a person's wellbeing simply because of their perceived fame and wealth. It's not about trying to diagnose him with a form of depression from your armchair (which is also foolishly reactionary). It's simply about having a modicum of empathy for another human being and the realities of wealth and power and the irrefutable fact these are not flawless conduits to perfectly happy life, and that a person's life and state of happiness can be influenced both positively and negatively by extreme surges in wealth and fame.

It's just a dude expressing reasonable (and hardly original) frustrations at where he's at in life due to his wealth and status relative to his social life and the difficulties this has introduced. The idea that the wealthy, extremely wealthy even, have no right to frustration or feeling depressed about these changes and difficulties is just absurd.

By the same leap of logic nobody in a developed Western country has the right to feel depressed. Why should I care if you're living paycheque to paycheque and couldn't go out for beers this weekend? Why should I care about your apparent financial hardships when your country, in most cases, does offer some form of financial and/or housing and/or food support in the most extreme situations? You're still, comparatively to the rest of the world, in the more wealthy, better off economic and lifestyle brackets. You don't know what full poverty and survivalism is. Got a TV? A computer? A phone? Fuck you, you really don't know how well you have it.

Yet I can muster genuine empathy for your hardships because I'm well aware that wealth and comparison to the rest of the world doesn't guarantee happiness.

Notch is just a sad dude, wearing his grievances on his sleeve, because he's wealthy as fuck and despite this feeling like the essential components of a happy life (friends, love, and fun) aren't happening, and in some cases seemingly falling apart because of the wealth. Knocking him back on these points, which are neither here or there as it's just him being him as honest as possible, because "NO, YOU HAVE MONEY" is just baffling.

Fully agreed.

TheOddOne

Please marry me.

NotLiquid

Yeah, let's concentrate on the one thing and ignore the rest of what I said. With the second part I meant that I could maybe sympathise with him if he did some good deeds with his money. As for now, I don't know this what sort of person Notch is.

The part about doing good deeds did nothing to contextualize that part of your post. You still raised a very questionable implication which is still a sad undercurrent that a lot of people have been expressing here.

Speaking of doing good deeds, I'm not sure why people are getting up on Notch's ass for not "supporting" people with his money. Using his personal money as post-tax bonuses for the employees he left behind? Donating tons of money through charities like Humble Bundle and Awesome Games Done Quick? Notch has supported both games and charities for a long time. Pretending as if he hasn't been doing good stuff with his wealth is disingenuous when the Ibiza tweet that people seem to be taking an aversion to was a point he made in that personal "gain" with his wealth isn't making him happy.

10/10 post

Mory Dunz

I thought GAF would react differently to depression. But GAF also dislikes rich people. I guess the latter won out this time.

Top Bottom