• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you wish you could be the opposite Gender/Sex?

I had an enlightening conversation with a crossdresser once.

He explained to me that he is 100% male. He had no doubts about his gender or heterosexuality. But he dressed up in women’s clothes and had a female persona that he would often roleplay for hours at a time. Sometimes he would run errands as his female alter ego, other times he would just lounge around the house, and crossdressing for him was something he really really enjoyed and felt empowered doing.

His justification was that he had been conditioned to view beauty, sexiness, and cuteness as feminine traits. He was attracted to women and these traits and thus had a strong sexual image of what female beauty is. Since these traits were most strongly associated with feminity and women, they were traits he could never take on as a male.

To him, he could never feel beautiful as a man. He could never feel sexy. He could never be cute. Even when he tried to be these things as a man, they always felt forced and limited and insincere. But as a woman they felt natural and authentic and powerful.

This man crossdressed because it let him feel pretty. It let him feel sexy and adorable and let him take on traits his own gender didn’t allow. But it was also a greatly sexual experience for him because it enabled him to exude the same qualities he found attractive.

He told me that this is common for a lot of heterosexual crossdressers. Gender constructs and misogyny amplify female sexuality and portray the masculine body as utilitarian.

There’s a Seinfeld episode where Elaine says the female body is a work of art but the male body is “like a Jeep” that’s for “getting around.” In this same episode, Jerry and his new girlfriend spend too much time naked together and the relationship falls apart because he can’t stop imagining her naked (good) and she can’t STOP imagining him naked (bad). This episode, he says, strongly contributed to human his beauty ideals. He could never be attractive and beautiful as a man. He could never be a “work of art”. He would always just be a truck for getting around.

This is something I can identify with on some level. I am rarely able to find beauty in myself or other men. My body feels expendable. So there is a curiosity in what it would be like to have a woman’s body to primp and preen and feel beautiful. As somebody with low self esteem and poor self image, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking I would love myself more if I looked like something else.

But this is a fantasy rooted in institutionalized misogyny. The idea that women are innately sexual and men are not harms us both. It is why I know I wouldn’t actually switch bodies if given the chance - this construct is not real. It’s a fantasy.

So it can be safe and fun to explore in fantasy, like crossdressing, but the shine would come off the apple of the transition was ever real. Assuming you are cisgendered, of course.

Interesting. I actually had a similar perspective when I was younger and had low self-esteem, although I'm not a cross-dresser nor am I transgender. I'm a straight male, but when I was a teenager, I sort of had a jealously and even possibly slight resentment of women for being beautiful, and, as a male, I felt ugly in comparison and, as you said, "expendable". I felt that since (I thought) nobody could value me for my looks, that I was effectively completely worthless, while women had this default advantage of being beautiful and being valued for their looks. And this was something I struggled with on top of all the other self-image problems I had.

This perspective gradually changed as I got older and went through college and whatnot, making plenty of female friends and opening up more, and no longer viewing them as this "other" that I couldn't relate to, and also ever since I started working on my body through working out and whatnot, and obtaining more a "masculine" form as opposed to my skinny as heck teenage self, I do have a inherent sense of attractiveness now that has helped a lot with my self-esteem.

As you said in your post, the beauty ideals of humans is a social construct tied to gender roles, and it harms men and women both. Women have an expectation of looking preen and proper just to walk out the front door, while men have to put much less effort in that regard. And "being valued for your looks", which I was once jealous of women for, is I now realize is not always a very good thing and something women have to put up with on a daily basis in the professional world. There's nothing inherently more sexual about a woman's body as opposed to a man's, but society has placed much more emphasis on women's sexualization, which causes these sort of gender roles.

Going back to my original story, though, I wonder how many guys (particularly ones with low self-esteem) actually go through such a struggle in their younger lives. It isn't something that's easy to talk about, of course.

As a bisexual male, i can and do appreciate the beauty and sexiness in both men and women, and i often focus more on men because i feel like part of my attraction to women is society telling me things, whereas what i feel about men sexually is not something that i feel like society is shoving down my throat, it doesn't feel forced in the sense that this is what society is pushing you to view women as, if that makes any sense.

The funny thing for me is that I am also a bisexual male, but I am only attracted to extremely feminine looking men. Even the part of me that’s attracted to men is contextualized by my attraction to women.

I tend to publicly identify as straight for the convenience though. This is actually the first time I’ve ever mentioned it on GAF, I think.

Mark1

Men have to put in an insane amount of work every day too. The amount of bodybuilding, dieting, etc to get that perfect look is incredibly challenging, especially on a daily basis.

But I do find the rewards are worth it though. My self esteem has gone up considerably and can get into jobs I never thought were possible before.

It’s a big challenge, but it’s definitely worth it. I feel amazing.

There are times when I wish I could swap genders. Dunno where it stems from and haven't tried to that much thought into it lest it leads me down a rabbit hole I"d rather not go down.

Ignorance is bliss and all that.

But permanently? Probably not. I'm generally pretty comfortable as is. No reason to rock the boat forever and ever.

TFlat

Kind of fun reading this thread from the perspective of being trans. So most people don't walk around wishing they were the opposite sex/somewhere in between...

If you can honestly feel inside you would make the change and never look back, yeah maybe you should look into that a bit more.

It is sort of surprising to see how lopsided the answers are, but then again, maybe not. Cis people don't tend to think about things like this with any particular frequency...

lol

Fuchsdh

Here’s what it comes down to for me—even if we erased sexism overnight, I’d still say being a man has natural advantages over a woman.

ShyMel

It took some time, but now that I am no longer in my teens I am happy being a woman. Growing up as a shy and obese young girl was not the best way to start building my self-esteem. Due to being picked on for my weight and not wanting to speak out about it, I was not happy with myself for a good portion of middle and high school. Once I got a little bit older, I made some lifestyle changes and got some confidence from working in retail of all places. While my life is not perfect (Nexplanon does not like me like it does other ladies, unfortunately) I enjoy being the woman I am now.

DonMigs85

Here’s what it comes down to for me—even if we erased sexism overnight, I’d still say being a man has natural advantages over a woman.

-Strength
-Being able to aim pee more easily
-No periods
-No potentially heavy/gigantic boobs in the way

Weakness: sensitive exposed balls

Gnarlinator

Neo Member
I have often wished, ever since I could remember, that I was a woman. I definitely present as male and have lead a "cis male life", but the idea of being a woman seems so RIGHT in the core of my body! I always wished I had been born a cis woman- I don't think I have the mental fortitude to handle being an openly trans person in society, although I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who do.

i do feel like I have been affected by advertising. I feel like I mostly ignore male beauty standards, but ads targeted toward women I really feel in the pit in my stomach! I always think-- ohh shit! Yeah that's what I wanna be!

Not

Banned
-Strength
-Being able to aim pee more easily
-No periods
-No potentially heavy/gigantic boobs in the way

Weakness: sensitive exposed balls

What if you were a 6'4'' bodybuilder with a flat chest and a shewee in your pocket?

Periods, yeah. But sometimes they go away from certain types of birth control. Also.

No. Refractory. Period.

I have often wished, ever since I could remember, that I was a woman. I definitely present as male and have lead a "cis male life", but the idea of being a woman seems so RIGHT in the core of my body! I always wished I had been born a cis woman- I don't think I have the mental fortitude to handle being an openly trans person in society, although I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who do.

i do feel like I have been affected by advertising. I feel like I mostly ignore male beauty standards, but ads targeted toward women I really feel in the pit in my stomach! I always think-- ohh shit! Yeah that's what I wanna be!

That's rad :D

MikeBison

And pee sitting down? No, not worth it.

Also, childbirth sounds like a horrible, horrible ordeal. I don't know how women cope with something that terrifying looming in their future.

I pee sitting down anyway. Through choice.

I'd like to for a day or two. Mainly for sexual reasons if I'm honest. Experiencing what it's like to have a vagina and be penetrated.

Socially? No way. Girls have it way hard and I doubt I could even deal with 10% of the casual harassment, catcalling and other bullshit they have to go through.

Makki

To him, he could never feel beautiful as a man. He could never feel sexy. He could never be cute. Even when he tried to be these things as a man, they always felt forced and limited and insincere.

This is absolutely my feeling, although I am a straight male with no wish to crossdress or the like. I would not choose to swap with a post surgery body though to be in topic.

Ryzaki009

Yes. There was a good 4 years I despised being female completely I've kind of accepted it now but by no means am I happy about it.

Maligna

Banned
I've always kind of been jealous of beautiful women because, from my experience growing up as a shy male I understand the power they could hold over me just by giving me a little bit of attention.

I've often thought it would be interesting to have that kind of power. To be the one that gets to be desired instead of the one who has to do the courting in that dynamic.

So yeah, if I could magically become a woman just to see what it's like for a while. I would.

Of course maybe I could have that same experience if I was just a better looking male too. I'm sure hot guys have women chasing them at times too.

caliph95

I'm curious and wouldn't mind for a day or week out of curiosity (Well if u wasn't in a conservative country) partly because I delude myself I look better as female lol

I am comfortable as a dude (Well as much as someone with low self esteem and anxiety is) so not going to change gender permanently

Maybe go androgynous lol

Aurongel

I work for a Fortune 500 tech company and I have zero experience in dealing with harassment.

So no, being a woman would be a nightmare for me. They have overcome major social hurdles throughout the past few decades but we as a society still have a lot of sexist baggage that needs to be dealt with.

prag16

Banned
Permanent? Absolutely not.

Temporary like a few days max? Sure, I'd definitely go for a test drive as the fairer sex.

If I were a girl, I'd just end up playing with my boobs all day.

Yeah.. that and somewhere else probably.

I'd make for a VERY terrible guy so 100% no. Even with how much crap society may treat us for being women I don't think I'd ever want to be a guy for any reason, plus mens clothes are so boring bleh >_<

- no periods
- no risk of pregnancy
- no boobs to get in the way
- never having to care about the state of my body hair
- never feeling pressured to wear makeup, high heels, etc
- simple clothing sizes
- societal easy mode

hell yeah, sign me up.

If I could for like a day I would, just out of curiosity and to get a different perspective, but not permanently. I’m happy as a man.

TFlat

I'm not one to push people or say anything either way but this sounds awfully like the experience a lot of trans people have (going from my own experience and what I have read from others too). If that's how you truly feel I'd suggest maybe looking into that a bit more.

Most trans people don't think they have the mental fortitude to go through it in society at first but the other option tends to be spending the rest of your life feeling out of place and miserable. When those are the choices you just kind of think fuck it and go with what feels right, it tends to work out for the better.

MikeBison

Guys. Why the sitting down to pee hate? It's liberating. Try it.

No aiming. No sex pee shooting in wild directions. Just sit down and dangle down. Read your phone. Play games. Read the shampoo ingredients. Then stand up like nothing ever happened.

Somnid

I have no specific desire to change sex, but I decided that if for some reason I was offered the chance (like a magic fairy or something), even irreversible, I'd take it for the sake of variety. If that happened, I'd also change my gender to match.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hell no. having to put up with periods and all the other things my wife tells me about... HELL NO. Glad to be a man.

Am trans, already in the process of living as the "opposite" (eh, technically?) gender.

If you have seriously had a problem with your gender all your life, feeling like you're in the wrong body or something isn't right, talk to a gender therapist. You may have Gender Dysphoria.

You don't have to transition but you might find it helpful to speak to somebody about it and find out what is best for you.

Clockwork

No, I can't say that a gender swap has ever interested me.

(Other than a brief and very immature/sophomoric idea of if I did I wouldn't leave the house because I would be too busy exploring my lady bits, impaling myself with random objects, or compulsively masturbating)

Top Bottom