• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump picks billionaire Betsy DeVos to be education secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday tapped billionaire Republican donor and school choice advocate Betsy DeVos to lead the U.S. Education Department, a post she has accepted.

DeVos, a Michigan native and former chair of the state's Republican Party, met with Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence on Saturday and discussed "the Common Core mission, and setting higher national standards and promoting the growth of school choice across the nation," according to a Trump transition team statement.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/23/dona...devos-to-be-education-secretary-nbc-news.html

Some info for gaffers unfamiliar with her:

KHp4W92.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not too familiar with her but seeing how his other picks have gone I'm not expecting much from her and actually dreading what may come.

Whales

Banned
I feel bad for you people in the US

Here university costs me about 2k a semester ( not including the surgical tools I need to buy, but thats an exception) and I complain that its expensive...

In the US its already 500x worse, and it looks like its gonna be even worse now too.

So Michigan's governor thinks literacy isn't a right, and Trump is putting a Michigan native in charge of the Department of Education.

Pattern forming in 3... 2... 1...

Why do they not choose these before being elected? Feels weird and should influence voting.

At least part of the reason is that they can't promise positions in the administration in exchange for financial or other types of backing during the campaign. Carson slipped up on this during the summer when he essentially admitted during a TV news interview that he had been offered a position in Trump's administration in exchange for him supporting Trump's campaign. That is literally against federal law, but it's so gray and difficult to prove, it's not really challenged. But if you named people to cabinet positions outright before the election had been determined, it would potentially be easier to bring charges.

Catdaddy

My wife is a public school teacher absolutely furious – they are about to fuck the public school system, take it private and for-profit so they can all get richer at the expense of children…fuckers…

Its like his cabinet picks are just meant to troll at this point.

I bet he sits at a desk and goes "Right, who can I choose that is the worst person for the job....Ben you want in? no? ok....How about this person, they look dreadful."

Someone who dislikes public schools will now run them. More public school funding cuts incoming so shitty charters schools that barely have to prove themselves can get more funding!

living in Ohio has shown me how shitty most charter schools and these voucher programs are and it is crazy how they get so much money and don't feel to need to prove results and clearly don't give a shit about the kids. Just businesses trying to get rich off kids and desperate parents.

Why do they not choose these before being elected? Feels weird and should influence voting.

That would've required people to actually pay attention to policy during this election, which they didn't.

People don't really care. It is self evident. This is the direction Americans have chosen, or opted to allow, for the foreseeable future.

The only hope is that it enables younger people to be more informed and conscientious about politics. A Trump administration may be the medicine a largely fickle and stupid electorate need to make change.

Mii

Banned
Vouchers, another benefit that will mostly go to wealthier (read:coastal educated) Americans at the expense of worsening the public system for the rest. Just like the infrastructure program and the health plan.

The silver lining is Trump's rural voter can continue it's self-immolation. In the meantime, please find ways to contribute to programs that help local urban and suburban disadvantaged near you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just a brief reminder that Betsy DeVos has never once been a teacher or any other sort of school official, and yet here she is. Drain the swamp, am I right?

As someone who was on a charter school board - choice is a win for them. However, those teachers get paid about half as much and charter schools don't retain experienced staff very well.

My wife is a union teacher with tenure. "School choice" to her is "pay cut" and "no pension" - not that she does her job for the money, but she does believe teachers who have a MA and ten years experience deserve $60,000 per year.

E-Cat

I feel bad for you people in the US

Here university costs me about 2k a semester ( not including the surgical tools I need to buy, but thats an exception) and I complain that its expensive...

In the US its already 500x worse, and it looks like its gonna be even worse now too.
Here, I'm actually paid several thousand Euros a year to study w/ an additional option of taking a near-zero percent interest loan, 30% of which will be refunded upon graduation. Feels good, man!

Eidan

Just a brief reminder that Betsy DeVos has never once been a teacher or any other sort of school official, and yet here she is. Drain the swamp, am I right?

This is going to be a running theme of the Trump Cabinet. No background? No problem!

Juice

I went to college in Grand Rapids. Betsy DeVos is locally famous for wanting to eliminate public schools entirely, preferring Dutch reformed christian schooling (like many in the area). Unlike most, however, DeVos has leveraged her Amway pyramid scheme wealth and local political influence to effectively sabotage public education in western Michigan, as if to goose people into enrolling in private Christian schools.

I think Trump is literally just picking what toadies say they want the job the most. She definitely wants it. Watch her dismantle public education in the name of vouchers and school choice.

Makonero

This is going to be a running theme of the Trump Cabinet. No background? No problem!

Eliot Cohen said:
“It became clear to me that they view jobs as lollipops, things you give out to good boys and girls, instead of the sense that actually what you’re trying to do is recruit the best possible talent to fill the most important, demanding, lowest-paying executive jobs in the world,”

Pretty much it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
he picked her because her family supported him during the elections?
It seems that's what he's been doing for everything.

He talks about no more politics or corruption, then all of his picks are just incredibly blatant cronyism. He's just handing out jobs to everyone who was nice to him as a pat on the head instead of actually, you know, thinking about who's good for what.

I went to college in Grand Rapids. Betsy DeVos is locally famous for wanting to eliminate public schools entirely, preferring Dutch reformed christian schooling (like many in the area). Unlike most, however, DeVos has leveraged her Amway pyramid scheme wealth and local political influence to effectively sabotage public education in western Michigan, as if to goose people into enrolling in private Christian schools.

whoa whoa wait shit. She did FUCKING AMWAY?

platakul

Banned
As someone who was on a charter school board - choice is a win for them. However, those teachers get paid about half as much and charter schools don't retain experienced staff very well.

My wife is a union teacher with tenure. "School choice" to her is "pay cut" and "no pension" - not that she does her job for the money, but she does believe teachers who have a MA and ten years experience deserve $60,000 per year.
YUP. Public schools grow communities and the teachers are invested and watch kids grow and often then teach their kids

Charters are fly by night shacks built for the grift

brawly

At least part of the reason is that they can't promise positions in the administration in exchange for financial or other types of backing during the campaign. Carson slipped up on this during the summer when he essentially admitted during a TV news interview that he had been offered a position in Trump's administration in exchange for him supporting Trump's campaign. That is literally against federal law, but it's so gray and difficult to prove, it's not really challenged. But if you named people to cabinet positions outright before the election had been determined, it would potentially be easier to bring charges.

I meant legally allow and even enforce, to give people the full picture ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom