• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calidor

According to this post on Reddit, the cinematic footage shown at the Video Games Live event matches lineups from real matches at The International 1.So I guess the footage is from the esports documentary that Valve is working on. Means we probably wont see the rest of the footage for quite some time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1iqtc7/vgl_cinematic_footage_is_based_on_real_matches_of/

really? International is 3 weeks away, and I'm pretty sure that last year they released a TI1 featurette a week before TI2 began

really? International is 3 weeks away, and I'm pretty sure that last year they released a TI1 featurette a week before TI2 began

But this cinematic is built around the lineups from The International 1, not TI2. Valve is making a full length documentary about esports that is heavily centered around Dota 2 and the lead up and eventual ending of The International 1. The composer said specifically that the footage comes from a documentary that Valve is working on.

The only way we get that cinematic footage before The International 3 is if that documentary makes it out before TI3. Not very likely since Valve havent mentioned it at all lately. It's a big project for Valve and it is in a format they dont have a lot of experience with. It's already taken 2+ years so I would think that if it was ready to release then they would be a little more open about it.

BraXzy

So my buddy is still having insanely weird lag spikes. 600 ping at times etc, I've told him to buy them homeplugs was it called? To get rid of his Wi-Fi, is that the only possible thing it could be? He usually plays support so him lagging isn't good :L

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why not an Assault Cuirass then with priority on the Hyperstone?
The point of Mjolnirs is the lighting proc and the shield. The lighting procs allows for pushing really easy in the late game, and does a ton of damage in a team fight, the shield punishes a team for attacking a target.

So my buddy is still having insanely weird lag spikes. 600 ping at times etc, I've told him to buy them homeplugs was it called? To get rid of his Wi-Fi, is that the only possible thing it could be? He usually plays support so him lagging isn't good :L

Tell him to move his pc close enough to run an ethernet cable directly to the router. If the problem goes away then he knows its his wifi. I'm surprised he hasnt done this already to zero in on what is causing the problem.

Metroid

Just wanted to vent:

I fucking HATE the match making in Dota. How it got green lighted is beyond ANY understanding. Played 5 games today, all of them lost. And why? Because I got fucking noobs in my team who refuse to talk english or to team play. I am seriously sick of this shit. It's infuriating! Even with solo queue modo on I seem to get the biggest assholes in all of dota, and this 5 times in row. I am done... Fuck this..

Card Boy

Banned
Just wanted to vent:

I fucking HATE the match making in Dota. How it got green lighted is beyond ANY understanding. Played 5 games today, all of them lost. And why? Because I got fucking noobs in my team who refuse to talk english or to team play. I am seriously sick of this shit. It's infuriating! Even with solo queue modo on I seem to get the biggest assholes in all of dota, and this 5 times in row. I am done... Fuck this..

I've seen twitch streams where russians join US servers and don't speak a word of english on them.

Metroid

I reckon that this game is by far the worst game to play if you just want to relax after a day full of studying. Maybe I am just on the edge a bit but I heard such stories a lot..

sasimirobot

Finally got DOTA2 working on the chinese client. Took forever, and what a clusterfuck of registration/activation. So glad the UI is in English.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I reckon that this game is by far the worst game to play if you just want to relax after a day full of studying. Maybe I am just on the edge a bit but I heard such stories a lot..

DOTA is the very opposite of a relaxation game.

At least SC2 or your favorite fightmans are short 1v1 deals. DOTA will have you raging at the same person for an hour.

Actually, DotA can be relaxing if you are able to tune out other people and just play for yourself/selfishly/fun. I know a lot of people who are bad at the game but still find it fun and hardly ever get frustrated playing.

Filth

Actually, DotA can be relaxing if you are able to tune out other people and just play for yourself/selfishly/fun. I know a lot of people who are bad at the game but still find it fun and hardly ever get frustrated playing.

You just described a bad player.

Mac OSX 10.6.8

ATI Radeon HD 4670

Welp, that's the problem then.

Lol, I tried to play Dota 2 on my work machine with the exact same config.

I installed Lion on it and it runs at about 35 fps at shitty settings, in case you're interested in what you're performance would be. It's kind of hilarious that Apple was selling desktops with 256MB of VRAM as recently as 2010.

Arkanius

Lol, I tried to play Dota 2 on my work machine with the exact same config.

I installed Lion on it and it runs at about 35 fps at shitty settings, in case you're interested in what you're performance would be.

Did you disable the Steam overlay?
It cuts FPS in half right now. It's a bug

Coins

Banned
Whats a good character for a noob that wants to range fight? I just started playing today. Played through the tutorial and had a blast.

The number of Spirit Breakers in my bracket (around 15 wins) is enormous... and sad thing is, people with them on their team win most of the matches. Lot of Abbadons too.

Boken

Banned
Whats a good character for a noob that wants to range fight? I just started playing today. Played through the tutorial and had a blast.
Lion
The number of Spirit Breakers in my bracket (around 15 wins) is enormous... and sad thing is, people with them on their team win most of the matches. Lot of Abbadons too.
These heroes are like death knights early wotlk (which is apt) they're face rollingly easy to play aggressively with

BraXzy

Sooo.. someone reassure me I'm not mad.. just had a game with a Slark, who maxed his Dark Pact and his Essence Shift, with 1 point in his ult, with nothing in his Pounce. Is that a viable build? I always go with Pounce first for escapes/early kills. Multiple times in teams fights, people we were chasing wouldn't have got away had he pounced them.

The annoying thing was, I noticed when he was level 6 and asked why he hadn't leveled it, didn't get a reply, he only leveled it when he maxed the first 2 o_O

Arkanius

I'm having such a guilty pleasure playing Abaddon.
It's everything I ever wanted from a Support character.

Curiously, before, Omniknight was one of my favorites along with Disruptor.

Rashid

Banned
I'm doing the tutorial now, very helpful for me. Do any complete noob GAFfers want to play with me on my journey to learn how to play Dota 2? My Steam ID is xRashid. Also, can anyone recommend good youtubers to watch for Dota 2? I'm subscribed to Dota 2 portal, I think.

Sooo.. someone reassure me I'm not mad.. just had a game with a Slark, who maxed his Dark Pact and his Essence Shift, with 1 point in his ult, with nothing in his Pounce. Is that a viable build? I always go with Pounce first for escapes/early kills. Multiple times in teams fights, people we were chasing wouldn't have got away had he pounced them.

The annoying thing was, I noticed when he was level 6 and asked why he hadn't leveled it, didn't get a reply, he only leveled it when he maxed the first 2 o_O
Can't push the lanes or farm the jungle with pounce.

Calidor

So what you guys think about hidden gems in the actual meta?

I enjoy some Captains Mode from time to time and I think that heroes such as Bounty Hunter (Track gold is seriously OP), Nessaj (he IS better than naix, lane presence so strong that makes supports cry) and Beastmaster (dat aghs roar + necronomicon/free ancient stack) should be much higher on the pick/ban priority

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I dunno man, dota is what you make of it. I play dota because it's relaxing and fun. I enjoy just taking a day off and playing with a good group of guys that I enjoy playing with (the mumble/hongaf crew). Sure, the game has emotional spikes in both directions, and it's how you as a person manage the negative that determines much of the enjoyment. Everyone's different.

In general I cruise through life with the philosophy of, "why get mad over what you can't control?" That pretty much determines most of my interactions, including the ones in dota, so I'm pretty patient, control the anger and depression, and have fun most of the time.

What then?

There's literally a million factors that could be behind this, different for each game. The matchmaking tries it's best to match up two relatively evenly "skilled" teams, but in a game like dota it's very hard to quantify skill and there's way more factors outside of skill that go into a game.
1) a player might be skilled at hero X, but a complete noob at hero Y
2) some people are more consistent than others
3) lane composition is huge
4) team/player chemistry, how do the playstyles interact? Negatively/positively/neither?
5) LUCK

These are just 5 big factors that determine the outcome of dota games that I can think of off the top of my head, it's not as simple as a magic skill number that can perfectly simulate wins/losses and scores.

Sauce? Is there a counter?

saw this on a board with someone complaining about the wait
dSv3uD.png

de1irium

Newbie plea/rant/questions ... I'm only 20 games in, but my last 10 games have been among the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. No support from teammates, total clusterfuck past the early laning phase, very passive/defensive play (initiators not initiating, carries not farming), and it's just feels like this feedback loop of nobody knowing quite what to do because nobody else really knows what to do. Even my last few wins have just been obvious, unsatisfying rolls.

I try to call ganks/pushes and just raise general awareness, but (assuming my comms are even acknowledged) the results just don't seem to come. I know my play is far from perfect (or even terribly good), too, but what can someone with so little experience do to make some plays with people who often have even less experience?

Aomber

Welp I'm done with this game. Honestly I don't want to quit, it's fun and Valve seems to be doing all the right things, but 300 hours later I'm beginning to think I can spend my time on better things. It's got a very addicting nature to it, if I'm not playing games, I'm researching it. That's dangerous territory for me, especially considering I go back to college in a month.

It was a good run but it's time to give it a rest sadly :( don't wanna get too hooked in the long run and I have other priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom