• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp I'm done with this game. Honestly I don't want to quit, it's fun and Valve seems to be doing all the right things, but 300 hours later I'm beginning to think I can spend my time on better things. It's got a very addicting nature to it, if I'm not playing games, I'm researching it. That's dangerous territory for me, especially considering I go back to college in a month.

It was a good run but it's time to give it a rest sadly :( don't wanna get too hooked in the long run and I have other priorities.
You actually won dota. Congrats!

Newbie plea/rant/questions ... I'm only 20 games in, but my last 10 games have been among the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. No support from teammates, total clusterfuck past the early laning phase, very passive/defensive play (initiators not initiating, carries not farming), and it's just feels like this feedback loop of nobody knowing quite what to do because nobody else really knows what to do. Even my last few wins have just been obvious, unsatisfying rolls.

I try to call ganks/pushes and just raise general awareness, but (assuming my comms are even acknowledged) the results just don't seem to come. I know my play is far from perfect (or even terribly good), too, but what can someone with so little experience do to make some plays with people who often have even less experience?

Stack with people better than you to get out of the trench so the pubs you play with aren't horrible. Or just march through with heroes that can carry the game by themselves. Mids or carries that have strong laning and/or peak a bit earlier.

I love... looooove.... when someone at the start of the game kills me and then calls me noob. Then the game goes on, he kills me sometimes... makes fun.... then I get stronger, kill him, our team becomes a monster and we destroy them. The guy (a silencer player) dies numerous times. Only occasions when I go to all chat and make fun of him. I hate that these kind of players, more because at the start of every match I type "gl hf" and even give tem the 25% battle points bonus.

Welp I'm done with this game. Honestly I don't want to quit, it's fun and Valve seems to be doing all the right things, but 300 hours later I'm beginning to think I can spend my time on better things. It's got a very addicting nature to it, if I'm not playing games, I'm researching it. That's dangerous territory for me, especially considering I go back to college in a month.

It was a good run but it's time to give it a rest sadly :( don't wanna get too hooked in the long run and I have other priorities.
I have friends who are like this. They installed-uninstall Dota during their college days every semester in an effort not to play so much and to focus on their studies.

Now they are in their thirties, with families, very successful at what they do and play Dota 2 every day at 5.30 sharp. So just do what they do.

Anteo

Newbie plea/rant/questions ... I'm only 20 games in, but my last 10 games have been among the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. No support from teammates, total clusterfuck past the early laning phase, very passive/defensive play (initiators not initiating, carries not farming), and it's just feels like this feedback loop of nobody knowing quite what to do because nobody else really knows what to do. Even my last few wins have just been obvious, unsatisfying rolls.

I try to call ganks/pushes and just raise general awareness, but (assuming my comms are even acknowledged) the results just don't seem to come. I know my play is far from perfect (or even terribly good), too, but what can someone with so little experience do to make some plays with people who often have even less experience?

You need to play support, even if you are the only suport on the team and cant affor anything because of wards

Cancer Lancer is a good way to get out of the trench...

I could lancer all day erry day, but I'd get bored of it. Heroes that are "easy wins" for me I don't like to play too much. For one, it gets repetitive, and two, it doesn't challenge me to improve my play. Yeah, you can build up efficiency and get slightly better GPM or whatever, but picking or randoming more "gimped" heroes you learn to compensate as a player with better positioning, more diligent CS, etc.

Aomber

I have friends who are like this. They installed-uninstall Dota during their college days every semester in an effort not to play so much and to focus on their studies.

Now they are in their thirties, with families, very successful at what they do and play Dota 2 every day at 5.30 sharp. So just do what they do.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Without going off topic too much, I'm trying to make a career out of my true passion on the side of my studies, and I'd prefer to spend my available time on that than on something like Dota. I'm not the kind of person who can play a game like Dota without being quite invested in it, and I have a big backlog of games I need to clear up regardless. I understand everyone is different, but this is just based on my past and present experience with gaming.

BeesEight

Queued for a game, had poor team comp, terrible laning and obnoxious teammates.

Queued again and had perfectly helpful team, friendly players and amazing composition.

Matchmaking going to matchmake.

I don't know about the queuing options but it's saved my random and solo draft so I know they're still in the game.

Sooo.. someone reassure me I'm not mad.. just had a game with a Slark, who maxed his Dark Pact and his Essence Shift, with 1 point in his ult, with nothing in his Pounce. Is that a viable build? I always go with Pounce first for escapes/early kills. Multiple times in teams fights, people we were chasing wouldn't have got away had he pounced them.

The annoying thing was, I noticed when he was level 6 and asked why he hadn't leveled it, didn't get a reply, he only leveled it when he maxed the first 2 o_O

Could be worse, I used to play with a Slark that wouldn't skill Dark Pact at all.

i had a 12 minute queue time yesterday
#dedgaem

I tried to play cancer lancer once.
kotl was playing with life stealer so they laned together. my "support" drow left me to permanently roam and i had to 1v2 a lane. i didnt carry.

gyrocopta 4 lyf

I could lancer all day erry day, but I'd get bored of it. Heroes that are "easy wins" for me I don't like to play too much. For one, it gets repetitive, and two, it doesn't challenge me to improve my play. Yeah, you can build up efficiency and get slightly better GPM or whatever, but picking or randoming more "gimped" heroes you learn to compensate as a player with better positioning, more diligent CS, etc.

I only have 5 matches played with him only but it's just hilarious seeing how butt hurt people get when they lose to Phantom Lancinoma. Just saying that if you hate losing and playing in the trench, then play him for a bit and you'll jump out fairly quickly..

Weens

Neo Member
So my buddy is still having insanely weird lag spikes. 600 ping at times etc, I've told him to buy them homeplugs was it called? To get rid of his Wi-Fi, is that the only possible thing it could be? He usually plays support so him lagging isn't good :L

I had the same issue and ethernet over power fixed it.

Also, if he has used an autoexec.cfg file from the internet somewhere it may have rates higher than his connection can support.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Without going off topic too much, I'm trying to make a career out of my true passion on the side of my studies, and I'd prefer to spend my available time on that than on something like Dota. I'm not the kind of person who can play a game like Dota without being quite invested in it, and I have a big backlog of games I need to clear up regardless. I understand everyone is different, but this is just based on my past and present experience with gaming.

Well it's good that you know yourself. Although I wouldn't announce my departure like you're doing here, because when you inevitably reinstall Dota in 2 weeks you're gonna be embarrassed. ;)

I was very invested in Dota in the same way you're talking about — hell, I've made 106 hero builds so far, and I've revised every single one of them at least once, some up to three times. That took me a long ass time to do, because I researched builds on Dota 2 Alt Tab and DOTAFire and then customized them for my personal play style. But I have definitely slowed down a lot, and now I only play like once or twice a week. It'll probably be even less once I move in with my gf. But the point I'm trying to make is that you might not have to quit cold turkey; you could just wait for your passion to wane a little bit. Everything in moderation.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So any official word about the 10 minutes queues? It's been pretty bad.

Probably has something to do with the tuning to the matchmaking system and the increased likelihood of stack v stack. Though to be completely honest, every queue I've had where AP has been turned on has been less than 2 mins, it's only when you turn off AP that the queues get up there.

Anyone having issues with their cloud files?

A lot of my hero builds aren't loading and when I look at my build list some of them just say "undefined."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am having a lot of really fast queues. Got a number in less then 15 seconds, though in a party it takes a good 3-5 minutes still.

Is battle hunger bugged? (axe W)

Every now and then I put it on someone and it just instantly vanishes, and they don't have repel or a diffusal or manta or anything that might be able to dispel it.

It just randomly... fails, it'll tick once or twice and then they go into the fog for a second and suddenly the icon is gone as is the dmg.
And I know people don't have to be in my view for the dot to stay as I constantly use it as a fire and forget on heroes that are on like 200 hp and they ll die on their way back to the fountain while I'm already back to jungle/lane.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is battle hunger bugged? (axe W)

Every now and then I put it on someone and it just instantly vanishes, and they don't have repel or a diffusal or manta or anything that might be able to dispel it.

It just randomly... fails, it'll tick once or twice and then they go into the fog for a second and suddenly the icon is gone as is the dmg.
And I know people don't have to be in my view for the dot to stay as I constantly use it as a fire and forget on heroes that are on like 200 hp and they ll die on their way back to the fountain while I'm already back to jungle/lane.

It falls off if they kill a creep. So, if they somehow dropped it after going into fog, either they denied something or had a DOT on a creep that killed them.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I want to smash my keyboard in half. Why is it during late night Dota that the worse dregs of the Trench decide to come out and troll, bitch, and complain while playing like shit or not talking at all? I'm about to seriously get an OP hero and play them every day until I'm out of the Trench. This shit is the final straw. Best hero to pick? PL?

sixghost

I want to smash my keyboard in half. Why is it during late night Dota that the worse dregs of the Trench decide to come out and troll, bitch, and complain while playing like shit or not talking at all? I'm about to seriously get an OP hero and play them every day until I'm out of the Trench. This shit is the final straw. Best hero to pick? PL?
Meepo. Fight fire with fire.

Visage.

Bristle.

Go mid and clown fools all game.

Filth

Ahh, you think op heros are your ally? You merely adopted the trench. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.

Night-Stalker-as-Batman.jpg

Carry dazzle

Medallion
Deso
Assault cuirass
Sprinkle some survivability and watch heroes melt.

Don't forget to call mid or you'll feed.

jourdy

Do you guys also experience a slight delay when playing DOTA 2?
I find it unplayable due to the delay after pressing the button. Takes its toll on denying/creeping and harassing. Enemies always have ther upper hand.

I play in SEA region. I play League of Legends and HoN before without any problems. Only in DOTA 2..

Tobe

you are gonna fall deeper by doing that, never pick a strong impact hero, or a super late one. best pick a mid game impact hero that can snowball.

Boken

Banned
Do you guys also experience a slight delay when playing DOTA 2?
I find it unplayable due to the delay after pressing the button. Takes its toll on denying/creeping and harassing. Enemies always have ther upper hand.

I play in SEA region. I play League of Legends and HoN before without any problems. Only in DOTA 2..

what pings do you get when you play these respective games?

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Play Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker, Queen of Pain, Slark, Warlock... Go mid and just gank as much as you can. Easy game easy life

It falls off if they kill a creep. So, if they somehow dropped it after going into fog, either they denied something or had a DOT on a creep that killed them.

Seriously? I really need to learn to read spell descriptions, and so do 90 percent of enemy players since most seem to have no idea when I dot them.

Hylian7

Am I the only person in the world that cannot QoP ult to save my life? I miss them 50% of the time somehow, and I have no idea why it happens.

Man if your team has a decent mid storm spirit pick axe.
You just peek out from jungle,any time the enemy hero is near your stairs among his creeps, storm latches him, you run in and he gets obliterated by spins, hunger does the rest if he survives.

A storm and me got about 10 kills over 2 matches that way playing together (+ the storm loves you cos you can check rune for him from the rune camp while jungling)

Dominating mid then turns into super easy 4 man ganks in safe lane and as long as your hard lane isn't terrible and leeches exp without feeding you just end up crushing pubs this way.

I'm still calling bullshit on the ELO system btw, the gulf in quality of players from one game to another is huge.
One game you have people check runes at the start, block creeps, place wards intelligently instead of not at all or randomly, try to rune control, stack camps, carry tps at all times and all the general good stuff trash pubs won't do, and the next game there will be absolutely none of any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom