• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
I would have said it is because I
it's closer to it's rts roots, controlling more than just one thing if you want.

also leeg is 2 simple, for babbes etc.

oh man tall poppies? thats how you know you used to be under the british empire

Also yeah don't they have a really crazy season thing that takes up tons of time? That seems to be all that's ever on twitch.
DID YOU KNOW
Australia's usage of the term has evolved and is not uniformly negative. (See below) In Australia, a long history of "underdog" culture and profound respect for humility in contrast to that of Australia's English feudal heritage results in a different understanding of "Tall Poppy Syndrome".

basically i respect sc2
no, they are going for dota cause the balance in dota reflects more broodwar (the clearly superior game) then sc2

it's also more fun and less stressful.
oh i see
thats really interesting

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm completely new to the game, and having over 100 characters to choose from seems a bit overwhelming. I assume it's like fighting games where there's no "best" character, and you just pick some that look cool and stick with them. Anyway, does anyone know some console commands to help me get a sense of the different characters? I'd like to see what their abilities are and experiment with the items (of which I also know nothing about) without playing a whole match every time. The old cheat commands don't seem to work anymore.

Close but not quite, you absolutely do not want to pick one hero and stick to them. That's fine when you're starting out, but you want to branch out into a half dozen heroes fairly quickly and eventually you should be at least competent with several heroes in each "role" and even every hero in the game.

Because team composition is incredibly important.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
iyoR4ZNiqpgvz.png

Heroes not picked at all during the Alienware Cup, surprised at how little Skywrath is picked up to be honest.

Close but not quite, you absolutely do not want to pick one hero and stick to them. That's fine when you're starting out, but you want to branch out into a half dozen heroes fairly quickly and eventually you should be at least competent with several heroes in each "role" and even every hero in the game.

Because team composition is incredibly important.
Wow, ok. Looks like there is a lot to figure out then. I'll stick to one hero at first and learn the fundamentals that way.

eznark

Banned
I really like Nyx Assassin and have been playing him a bunch, but most of the games I've been watching lately he is picked and he gets kind of rolled. What is it about his skillset that makes him a pro level character? Just a great support with some good initiation?

Wynnebeck

Banned
There's over a 100 heroes in the game now? That can't be right.

EDIT: WTF It is over 100!? It never really seemed that large to me until now. How many Champions does League of Lesbians have?

Artanisix

Spirit Breaker as a support could work, sure. I wasn't trying to discount the hero entirely, but those two things do counter Spirit Breaker pretty well. Both Chen and Shadow Demon don't need too many items, and can buy sentries and counter ward with ease. Spirit Breaker needs items to scale well, can't counter ward (cliffs), etc. He could work as a support, but there are countless other supports that do the same job 10x better.

The problem with saying TP scrolls and wards counter any hero in the game is because both of these items are integral to decent play. Their very purpose is to help mitigate the damage from ganks through mobility and vision. It ends up being a non-answer because EVERY ganker is made worse by enemy TP counter-ganks and defensive wards.

Spirit Breaker needs boots, urn, and wards. Everything else is luxury. He's played as a four-position support and it works great. Does he scale well with items? Sure. Does Lina scale well with items? Yep. What about Leshrac? Uh-huh. Chen? Oh yeah. They all need items to scale well -- except they don't NEED to scale well at all. The premise that a hero has to scale well to be a good pick in the first place is totally bonkers.

Ogre Magi, Tidehunter, and Nyx can't counterward some of the more popular warding spots and yet they're stilll picked up as supports. Usually you'll have another support on your team who is range so this isn't even an issue. Just because he's melee doesn't mean he can't buy the sentries for someone else. What are you referencing when you say "etc." because it reads more like "I've run out of other justifications"?

And what other support has 700hp and 5 armor at level 1, has fantastic single-target lockdown and burst, and is very mobile with no items?

Be a little more open to unconventional picking and you'll find there is a lot of value in heroes that aren't popular.

I really like Nyx Assassin and have been playing him a bunch, but most of the games I've been watching lately he is picked and he gets kind of rolled. What is it about his skillset that makes him a pro level character? Just a great support with some good initiation?

Humongous burst, long disables, and forces opponent to spend money on sentries and dust. That's the short answer, sorry, need to go shower!

TommyT

I think randoming is a better way to learn the game. Or doing single draft/all random

I'd vehemently disagree. This is just frustration waiting to happen. There is so much difference between each hero that it would just get overwhelming if you random them without knowing anything about them.

Yeah, generally its one hero -> a half dozen heroes -> a couple heroes in each role -------> all of the heroes

This would be a far better way. You can learn a lot about a hero and learn a lot about the game without having to overwhelm yourself constantly with learning new heroes. Once you get a good understanding of the game with a hero then you could start branching out.

edit: Below reminded me - if you're doing this (the randoming) in bot games then I could see it being a bit more feasible as you can pause and take your time.

Randoming along with watching Purge videos and eventually pro games has been my learning method. You get a good idea of how a hero is meant to played by seeing it in high skill matchups and the extra gold can make things much easier.

Are you randoming in mm games or bot games? Watching the videos during or after the match?

I think randoming is a better way to learn the game. Or doing single draft/all random

Randoming along with watching Purge videos and eventually pro games has been my learning method. You get a good idea of how a hero is meant to played by seeing it in high skill matchups and the extra gold can make things much easier.

I just played as Timber mid (with instant "lol timber mid?" from my team) and I've never felt as powerful in DOTA. I was laning against SF and was able to terrify him with my q damage, once I got one kill on him I started to Snowball hard, then when I had enough to pick up a blood stone my push and kill potential became ridiculous. I was quickly able to win fights that were 3/4 on one and at the end of the game I had an inventory stocked with armour/health items so I was able to single handedly tower dive the entire enemy team and get out alive with a zip.

If you like Timber but have had issues being in the middle/safe lane I recommended you give mid a go. It was some of the most fun I've had playing the hero.

Anteo

I just played as Timber mid (with instant "lol timber mid?" from my team) and I've never felt as powerful in DOTA. I was laning against SF and was able to terrify him with my q damage, once I got one kill on him I started to Snowball hard, then when I had enough to pick up a blood stone my push and kill potential became ridiculous. I was quickly able to win fights that were 3/4 on one and at the end of the game I had an inventory stocked with armour/health items so I was able to single handedly tower dive the entire enemy team and get out alive with a zip.

If you like Timber but have had issues being in the middle/safe lane I recommended you give mid a go. It was some of the most fun I've had playing the hero.

So.. how did you get close enough to the SF to even kill him in mid?

So.. how did you get close enough to the SF to even kill him in mid?

It was mostly down to him being a pretty bad SF. At first he obviously wasn't aware of my damage output so he wasn't playing careful which gave me an early lead, after that it came down to him being greedy for a kill and not taking my reactive armour into account.

Anteo

It was mostly down to him being a pretty bad SF. At first he obviously wasn't aware of my damage output so he wasn't playing careful which gave me an early lead, after that it came down to him being greedy for a kill and not taking my reactive armour into account.

I see..
Something I don't undestand about timber is how to decide what skilsl to get. From what I can see, both chain and the cutter are really great early but one doesnt have enough mana to sustain both. So which one you prioritize?

I see..
Something I don't undestand about timber is how to decide what skilsl to get. From what I can see, both chain and the cutter are really great early but one doesnt have enough mana to sustain both. So which one you prioritize?

In mid I focused on cutter and armour given the lack of trees available. I only hit cutter when I was in range of SF and had no mana issues once I got my arcanes. I would note that I was able to control the runes throughout the laning stage.

Gurrry

Just started playing, quick question:

What do you get for winning? Is it cosmetic items or coins? In most mobas youre getting coins to buy new characters, but this roster seems like its open from the start.

DID YOU KNOW
Australia's usage of the term has evolved and is not uniformly negative. (See below) In Australia, a long history of "underdog" culture and profound respect for humility in contrast to that of Australia's English feudal heritage results in a different understanding of "Tall Poppy Syndrome".

basically i respect sc2

oh i see
thats really interesting
I learned something new today. I should get it spreading in the United States of America.

ksan

What do you get for winning? Is it cosmetic items or coins? In most mobas youre getting coins to buy new characters, but this roster seems like its open from the start.

you unlock secret characters

ok that aint true, cosmetics when you get levels, but you get points from losing as well

When you play and finish a game you get XP and a chance to win cosmetic items, chests and stuff like that. Its not guaranteed. When you level up you are guaranteed to get about 2 items that go directly to your inventory. Matchmaking has nothing to do your level (I think) but with your number of wins and Win/Loss ratio.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

You don't get anything for winning except the fact that you won. The items given out are completely random, except when you "level up", in which case you're guaranteed an item. Your level has nothing to do with matchmaking, the level number is entirely for show.

Its a bit weird.

Also the entire roster is open from the start, yeah, welcome to Dota

You get knowledge and experience and sometimes hats.

Anything and everything that you need to play the game is completely free right from the start. If you want to participate in #esports or look cool with one of the heroes that's where you start spending money.

mkenyon

Banned
This last week marks a special occasion for me.

I have made it out of the trench. I officially solo-queue in high tier!

I thought I noticed a general improvement in teammates, both in skill and communication. Feels so good.

I'm bummed that I'll be on vacation the weekend of the International. I wish I could plan around it but there just is no feasible way without being a total prick to my gf. Hopefully I can just leave my client on autospectate that weekend and just catch the games when I get home.

shira

I'm bummed that I'll be on vacation the weekend of the International. I wish I could plan around it but there just is no feasible way without being a total prick to my gf. Hopefully I can just leave my client on autospectate that weekend and just catch the games when I get home.
The games are Aug 2-11

Anyone know why the Dota cards and achievements are still not avaiable? Theyre waiting for the people that are queued to download the game?

ksan

This last week marks a special occasion for me.

I have made it out of the trench. I officially solo-queue in high tier!

I thought I noticed a general improvement in teammates, both in skill and communication. Feels so good.

It's all in your head, the tiers aren't discrete.

The trench never ends.

But anyway, nice job! It means that you're in the top xx% of player if you're continuously in high tier games.

iirc high is top 20% and very high top 4% (unsure about very high)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom