• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

he said one friend though and his steam friends are playing dota

As I said, he should play the game his friends participate in. That should be the #1 criteria when choosing one MOBA over the other. Solo Q Dota is an absolutely fucking miserable experience and will potentially alienate him unless he manages to get past the very rocky first hundreds of hours and developes a competitive drive. I would have never gotten past that stage unless I had my friends playing along and neither do I know anyone, ANYONE who started alone and kept playing.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
As I said, he should play the game his friends participate in. That should be the #1 criteria when choosing one MOBA over the other. Solo Q Dota is an absolutely fucking miserable experience and will potentially alienate him unless he manages to get past the very rocky first hundreds of hours and developes a competitive drive. I would have never gotten past that stage unless I had my friends playing along and neither do I know anyone, ANYONE who started alone and kept playing.

I mainly play Solo Q as most of the times when I play they are not around. I have loads of fun, I often get paired up with people I genuinely enjoy playing with.

Of course there are times when you get stuck with a 3 or 4 stack that is absolutely toxic but I just mute them and do the best I can.

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks for the answers guys. Will probably try to get to play Dota 2 (not ranked is the best way for now, right?).

I do hope I will have some fun with the game (solo q or with friends).

Yeah, stay away from ranked. As far as I know, you can't play ranked right off the bat anyway unless you reach a certain level. Honestly though, you might wanna not start ranked prior to 1000h of Dota or a level you feel is somewhat close to your peak. I heavily doubt it's possible to get there prior to a 4 digit playtime unless you are experienced in similar games.
Else you'll have to grind ranked and non-ranked.

t0rment

i'm clean of dota for 10 days now, feels good.
anuxi_rum.gif

kionedrik

Thanks for the answers guys. Will probably try to get to play Dota 2 (not ranked is the best way for now, right?).

If you have the time I'd recommend watching some "getting started" videos on youtube or some nooby friendly stream on twitch. I know a he gets a lot of hate here but Purge has good content on the subject.

i'm clean of dota for 10 days now, feels good.
anuxi_rum.gif

3 days... I'm even finishing other games... wtf is happening?!?

DrAg0nBoY

If you have the time I'd recommend watching some "getting started" videos on youtube or some nooby friendly stream on twitch. I know a he gets a lot of hate here but Purge has good content on the subject.

Yeah I saw that, but what for does he get the hate?

Like I said I played the game like 3 years ago, so I do know some stuff, I guess. But will try and watch/read some stuff before playing.

Yeah I saw that, but what for does he get the hate?

Because people are jealous idiots and little else. He has a very, very high ranking (higher than virtually anyone on the internet who has ever criticized him) and extremely good game knowledge. Obviously, his earlier videos are not quite up to date as his skill was worse and the game was different, but at the moment, he offers top notch content for newbies while being a very good support player himself. His newbie stream contribution during the last "Internationals" was received extremely positively.

He also managed to improve noticable at the age of 27 or 28 which is quite remarkable. People will hate on anything popular so just ignore it. Purge's contribution to the Dota community has been invaluable.

73V3N

Banned
when your rich peruvian carry gets moonshard, boots of travel, bkb, MoM, abyssal and battlefury but not mkb against the 8-0 wr

latest

edit: nvm he wasn't building battlefury, he was building shadowblade

lol

Yeah pretty sure i would have stopped playing dota if it weren't for purge's guides to help me.

Yeah, back in early 2013 the tutorial section of Dota was sparse as fuck. If there was any, I don't even remember. Getting to know the game via YT or knowledgable friends was the only way to understand the game's mechanics in a reasonable time. I agree that his 2012/2013 vids were a little dodgy in terms of skill and he also had the tendency to be passive aggressive towards his team mates but he shows very little of that nowadays. Also, whether he was a 4k player back then or not makes little difference when his target audience were fresh players.

Because people are jealous idiots and little else. He has a very, very high ranking (higher than virtually anyone on the internet who has ever criticized him) and extremely good game knowledge. Obviously, his earlier videos are not quite up to date as his skill was worse and the game was different, but at the moment, he offers top notch content for newbies while being a very good support player himself. His newbie stream contribution during the last "Internationals" was received extremely positively.

He also managed to improve noticable at the age of 27 or 28 which is quite remarkable. People will hate on anything popular so just ignore it. Purge's contribution to the Dota community has been invaluable.
Yeah... nah.

Auteezy

Banned

i mean his videos are good for noobs and shit but to call his support play as "very good" is laughable ROFL. I'm 90% sure he had a friend like blitz or someone play games on his account to get it past 5k

there's plenty of 5.5k+ and 6k+ players who criticize him as well

Thanks for the answers guys. Will probably try to get to play Dota 2

It's not regular dota by any means but I'd suggest checking out 10v10 in custom games.

The background gold earns twice as fast and there is way more team fighting.. But it's a mode you can quit if needed and relatively safe place to experiment with different characters to see how they play.

No skill matchmaking though so keep that in mind.

Also Purge is the way to go for noobie guides. No one else even comes close in the community. You might pass by him in skil but that doesn't lessen his contribution.

Artanisix

His game knowledge is questionable and says a lot of incorrect analysis and guesses as a caster. Yeah he's good at making newbie videos but that's a completely different skill set.

I agree that you should play games with your friends. Even shitty games are made a lot more enjoyable by playing with friends.

Dota is, however, the only game I've played that's actually made my friends rage at each other. "Why didn't you follow me in!" etc. The high stakes of the game definitely does not make for a casual hanging out kind of experience

Chris R

I've played maybe 5 party games. Other than that only solo queue.

Low Tier
as someone whos had my fair share of games with/against purge in rmm, i have to say im on the criticize purge boat too

so yea unless you have personal anecdote like me im just gonna say im a more credible source than you.

as someone whos had my fair share of games with/against purge in rmm, i have to say im on the criticize purge boat too

so yea unless you have personal anecdote like me im just gonna say im a more credible source than you.

How is that relevant? Hell, if I was top 1% (which is 4.1k according to the only stats ever released) at anything I could easily call myself very good and so could you and everybody else. Purge is 5.5k and unless he was boosted by Blitz, we're well into 0.000x territory. It's absolutely ridiculous to not call someone that far up "very good". It's exceptionally good (unless being one of tens of thousands of players is not very good rofl), deal with it. He's is not very good by pro standards which is entirely irrelevant.

You guys are out of touch when it comes to realistically assessing what level is good.

Just for refence, merely ~1.2% of all students in Germany manage to finish high school with straight As (1.0). Surely, these guys and gals can call themselves "very good" being part of the 99 percentile? If your MMR is better than Purge's, you are potential leaderboard material. But yeah, he ain't good. Right. Obviously, considering someone "very good" is highly subjective but I have yet to find a discipline in which top 0.x% is not "very fucking good".

Additionally, absolutely every single Dota personality has been criticized. The community is huge so it's bound to happen. 7k MMR Envy was widely criticized for his plays during C9's last months. It happens to everyone and is not indicative of anything.

Auteezy

Banned
How is that relevant? Hell, if I was top 1% (which is 4.1k according to the only stats ever released) at anything I could easily call myself very good. Purge is 5.5k and unless he was boosted by Blitz, we're well into 0.000x territory. It's absolutely ridiculous to not call someone that far up "very good". It's exceptionally good (unless being one of tens of thousands of players is not very good rofl), deal with it. He's is not very good by pro standards which is entirely irrelevant.

You guys are entirely out of touch when it comes to realistically assessing what level is good.

Just for refence, merely ~1.2% of all students in Germany manage to finish high school with straight As (1.0). Surely, these guys and gals can call themselves "very good" being part of the 99 percentile? If your MMR is better than Purge's, you are potential leaderboard material. But yeah, he ain't good. Right.

I was ~5550. I am not "very good" at dota. I am okay at best. Being in the 10's of thousands of something is not very good at all, being in the top few hundred is. There are 6k+ players and leaderboard players who are not "very good" as well. I think purge is bad, but I think his videos do a good service to newer players and you can't fault him for that, you can't even fault him for being bad he never actually says he is good or promotes himself as being good. I fault the fans who put him on some kind of pedestal and think he's god's gift to dota.

1% is not 4.1k anymore, like at all

Based on what? I'm not even sure why I'm asking because I know for a fact that you are talking out of your ass but do us the favour and share those secret data nobody else got access to.

Latest data suggest that the average MMR has barely moved:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2wjo81/725_of_all_games_are_in_normal_bracket_155_in/

Multiple people in the thread state that ELO theory suggest that there is a slight MMR inflation, however ELO does not resemble MMR fully which is why it's hard to tell. As of February 2015, the average of 2250 has probably moved only little.

I was ~5550. I am not "very good" at dota. I am okay at best. Being in the 10's of thousands of something is not very good at all, being in the top few hundred is. There are 6k+ players and leaderboard players who are not "very good" as well. I think purge is bad, but I think his videos do a good service to newer players and you can't fault him for that, you can't even fault him for being bad he never actually says he is good or promotes himself as being good. I fault the fans who put him on some kind of pedestal and think he's god's gift to dota.

Dude, that is so subjective. What is even the point of discussing that? You claim that being top 0.00x ain't "very good". So be it, that's your perception. If you were one out of 5.000 chess players or college students, you bet your house that people would regard you as outstandingly good. Obviously, there is space for improvement and you'd still not be anywhere near Kasparov or Einstein but unless you aim for historical level of chess skill or physics knowledge, you can proudly consider yourself talented as fuck. I can assure you your peers would. I don't see why being top 0.00x% in Dota is less worth than anywhere else. How does that make sense?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

i'm pretty sure that being 5k+ makes you very good at dota

Auteezy

Banned
Dude, that is so subjective. What is even the point of discussing that? You claim that being top 0.00x ain't "very good". So be it, that's your perception. If you were one out of 5.000 chess players or college students, you bet your house that people would regard you as outstandingly good. Obviously, there is space for improvement and you'd still not be anywhere near Kasparov or Einstein but unless you aim for historical level of chess skill or physics knowledge, you can proudly consider yourself talented as fuck. I can assure you your peers would. I don't see why being top 0.00x% in Dota is less worth than anywhere else. How does that make sense?

My peers do not find me talented as fuck or a very good player nor do I find most of my peers in this case (5k+ teammates in rmm). Some are good, some are bad, some bought accounts, some hero spammed etc... There was a time way back when I was liek ~100 mmr off leaderboards and I didn't think that made me "very good". 1.09 was on leaderboards around that time and I'm sure he would say the same thing i do that he is not "very good" abover average yeah, good yeah probably but very good that is reserved for a limited few I'd say ~top 25. There are amazing players who never did that leaderboard confirmation stuff, guys like Uni who you probably would never hear of.

But as 99% of 5k+ players or players with higher mmr than purge will tell you, he is not "very good" I mean at best he's your average 5ker.

i'm pretty sure that being 5k+ makes you very good at dota

and this is straight wrong, there are terrible terrible terrible terrible 5k and 6k players

Deltoid

Banned
5k players could be good but could be shit, beyond 5k being good at mm isn't the same as being good at dota

4k is okay

3k is beginner

M.D

when the silencer mid on ur team leaves after dying at the start of the match and u still win cuz the pl on the other team sucks and you have an awesome disruptor support

sogoo.gif

Hylian7

Happy Thanksgiving you Galapagosian Lolita Complexed Chickens!

Have we gotten to that point in Dota discussion where no one is good at Dota, just sightly less bad than others?

and this is straight wrong, there are terrible terrible terrible terrible 5k and 6k players

By 5k standards. How can you not see that? Those "terrible" 5ks and 6ks would annihilate most of us while playing the game blind-folded. 1.09 and you are exceptionally good at the game and probably surround yourselves with people of equal skill against whom none of you feel extraordinarily skilled. It's just a very obviousy case of selective perception. You guys have insanely high standards (whether you like to hear it or not) and would wreck 99.99% of the player base without breaking a sweat. Compared to leaderboard players or pro players, that may not be an outstanding feat but to us <99% percentile scrubs it is.
Clearly, being "very good" is a matter of point of view. I'm not surprised that a player in your MMR range (Purge) doesn't strike you as very good. You are roughly his skill level and well aware of how much room for improvement there is for you. But think globally. A vast majority of Purge's spectators is nowhere near his skill. If I were to learn chess today, I'd be alright with getting coached by top 0,00x% player. Hell, if I were intermediate, I'd still find it reasonable.

Low Tier
i think the truth is somewhere inbetween

yes purge has a very high mmr by global standards, and from the viewpoint of your average dota player yes he would be coined as very good. However, unless explicitly stated so, I think it is fair for players in that same skill bracket to chime in about purge about his flaws and faults, which are quite plentiful for a player of his mmr. Now, remember that solo mmr is not a 1:1 ratio to skill in dota by any measure, and Purge is actually one of these good examples.

Purge is mechanically very flawed. I have seen him mess up skywrath combos, wards, wyvern ulti targets, and a plethora of other things. I am not stating that I have never made similar mistakes, nor that such mistakes is a damning fault of Purge. Instead, the issue is that he makes these mistakes MORE often than a player of his skill placement should make, and many times in a matchmaking game if Purge is your 5.5k he is infact a 'weaker' 5.5k than other players of similar mmr. Akin to how I would have other players of similar mmr compared to players like Rena-chan aka Flame of Despair, or a different 7k compared to iwo. While their rating is good, their performance relative to their mmr is lackluster.

And that's really the whole situation. Purge is 5.5k yes, he is very good compared to the populace, but I personally, along with a majority of other players who actually do get matched up with him, can say he is a weaker 5.5k by a margin.

Top Bottom