• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Hylian7

I keep saying this, but I have won a fair amount of solo ranked games lately. I think I can reach 4k at least (my goal for now), the issue is I just have to play more, lol. I might just stream some solo ranked this weekend. Currently my TI solo Ranked sits around 3.6k.

I think my biggest hurdles in my play right now are the following, and some I feel like I have made significant strides on.

- Maximising utilization of the map as I move around it. I'm getting better at this, including stuff like watching the clock as I walk through the jungle and stacking something. Even if I rotate to a lane for a gank that ends up falling through, I just need to make something helpful out of it.

- Map awareness, I feel like I have taken significant strides there. Can always improve though.

- Not picking like a dingus. I know lately I have had some games where I stupidly picked Tinker into Clockwerk, Venge, QoP. Also definitely made the mistake of seeing our team end up with no stun.

- Encourage teammates instead of berating them. Even if they do fuck up, you still want to get the game to a state where it is easier for them. I've made huge improvements there. I say this being a past rager/toxic player. Even if it is your teammates fault that you lost a game, still fixing whatever you could have done better. I've started saying things like "it's fine, top can push since they Were all bot.

- Panicking in team fights. The action gets frantic, and I panic and accidentally click the minimap, making the camera move pretty day

yagal

But that is wrong and you should feel bad. GotG 2 was good.

GotG 2 is a good as a SingSing team

Dear Santa I want
[A]Dingdong and [A] in a good team
Cr1t out and Zai captain
Ppd on every fuckin panel
I love Ana but Reso_OG can be great
And Burning and Fear at the final of TI8 because we are not old

Twookie

Can teams hurry up with their announcements, thanks

I wanna know the deeeets yo

he beat him just for 1 game afaik and it was exploiting the AI with creep skipping, after that the AI was patched or some shit and he couldn't beat him again
Nah, kinda close though.
He beat the bot by buying a magic wand which the bot had not encoutered before and baited the bot to take a bad engagement because the bot didnt know what a wand did. After that game Magic wand and stick was put into the bot's whitelist.

Wok

he beat him just for 1 game afaik and it was exploiting the AI with creep skipping, after that the AI was patched or some shit and he couldn't beat him again

No, Pajkatt beat the AI using Magic Stick and Faerie Fire.

WtHIMgM.png

Pajkatt is very good. He was the only person they mentioned that was ever able to beat OpenAI for the record.

He beat the AI because he used a tactic which the AI had never seen before.

The AI which beat Arteezy two days after was tons better.

The AI which beat Sumail was also tons better than the one which beat Arteezy.

iq8dr9K.png

Finally, the AI which beat Dendi had 60% winrate vs. the AI which beat Sumail.

• August 7th: beat Blitz (6.2k former pro) 3-0, Pajkatt (8.5k pro) 2-1, and CC&C (8.9k pro) 3-0. All agreed that Sumail would figure out how to beat it.
  • August 9th: beat Arteezy (10k pro, top player) 10-0. He says Sumail could figure out this bot.
  • August 10th: beat Sumail (8.3k pro, top 1v1 player) 6-0, who says it's unbeatable. Plays the Aug 9th bot, where he goes 2-1.
  • August 11th: beat Dendi (7.3k pro, former world champion, old-school crowd favorite) 2-0. Bot has 60% win rate versus August 10th bot.

In his defense, nobody even beat that thing once. He's a great player, just hasn't had the best luck with teams. If N0tail can win TI's as a Pos 1 I have no doubt Pajkatt could.

People had beaten the AI before Pajkatt did. The thing is the AI constantly gets better. Maybe Arteezy would have beaten the AI which Pajkatt beat.

• Early June: beat 1.5k MMR tester
  • June 30th: winning most games against 3k MMR tester
  • July 8th: barely get first win against 7.5k MMR semi-pro tester.

AI TrueSkill over time

chart-1.png

People have also beaten the super-strong AI which beat Dendi, so...

4A2C43c.png

More details here: https://blog.openai.com/more-on-dota-2/

Twookie

Man that OG Ana facebook post was really ambigious, not really sure he was kicked or he left himself although it's probably the former.

Twookie

I think the biggest issue OG had was that they didn't play the midlane like most other teams, with the "2 and half mid" style of play.

They would usually let Ana battle alone against midlaner and support and hope that it goes OK or that he recovers in the jungle.
Sure Jerax would be there at level one and gank every now and then, but other supports were still way more defensive in their midlane than OG.

I think it has nothing to do with Anas skill, but more like that they are a pretty experienced and calm team and ana is probably the weak Link for tilting. As could be seen in the Documentary of the Major Finals.

Qvoth

yeah i'm not sure about taking a break for 1 whole season though?
wouldn't be surprised if he's in another team within half year, i think he's still a good mid player

GoTG 2 is about setting up the characters so you care when they get offed in Infinity War.

Sing songs stream is a dead end of stale memes.

Not even remotely close.

Just realized that we ain't hearing shit from EG until ever other team is set and then they'll roll out the new roster one day at a time. Buy Xfinity to get early access on who is on the team.

Hylian7

...the mobile moba game ?
charm_facepalm.gif
Having worked at a mobile game studio that tried to do a MOBA (but flopped)... They really need to understand what makes games in the genre successful. That goes for PC and console ones too, and hell games billed as esports in general. You're in a competitive market where everything is mostly monopolized by the juggernauts: LoL, Dota, HotS, and Smite on PC. Vainglory on mobile, and idk on consoles...Paragon?

You either have to already have some kind of legacy or do something that stands out. Dota has legacy obviously, LoL technically did when it started (Guinsoo) but has mostly rode in it's own popularity, HotS changed gameplay to remove farming, and of course was what people wanted: a MOBA with Blizzard characters. Smite did the third person thing instead of the overhead view to stand out.

HoN had popularity for a while, while it was Dota 2 before Dota 2, but then Dota 2 came along, coupled with many of S2's hero designs, and that game failed to differentiate itself or give people a reason to play it over Dota 2, so the game has kind of sunk. Strife fell into the trap of trying to get in the same space as League of Legends, didn't work out for it.

Forcing a game to be "esports" also is generally a path to failure. Catherine was not even close to being billed as that, yet it has a competitive scene.

shira

This new lich is my jam support.

Max sacrifice, win yo lane
frost armor for those crazy diver/high ping carries

KS ult/stun

120 GPM's

If people complain what are they gonna say - you a lich

Fuchsdh

This new lich is my jam support.

Max sacrifice, win yo lane
frost armor for those crazy diver/high ping carries

KS ult/stun

120 GPM's

If people complain what are they gonna say - you a lich

He's always been good; loved him since his Allstars days (and he's got to be one of the heroes with the least changes I can think of in all that time). I've just been running Treant and Veno more because they win me more games.

Having worked at a mobile game studio that tried to do a MOBA (but flopped)... They really need to understand what makes games in the genre successful. That goes for PC and console ones too, and hell games billed as esports in general. You're in a competitive market where everything is mostly monopolized by the juggernauts: LoL, Dota, HotS, and Smite on PC. Vainglory on mobile, and idk on consoles...Paragon?

You either have to already have some kind of legacy or do something that stands out. Dota has legacy obviously, LoL technically did when it started (Guinsoo) but has mostly rode in it's own popularity, HotS changed gameplay to remove farming, and of course was what people wanted: a MOBA with Blizzard characters. Smite did the third person thing instead of the overhead view to stand out.

HoN had popularity for a while, while it was Dota 2 before Dota 2, but then Dota 2 came along, coupled with many of S2's hero designs, and that game failed to differentiate itself or give people a reason to play it over Dota 2, so the game has kind of sunk. Strife fell into the trap of trying to get in the same space as League of Legends, didn't work out for it.

Forcing a game to be "esports" also is generally a path to failure. Catherine was not even close to being billed as that, yet it has a competitive scene.

it is being developed by Tencent and it uses a very similar gameplay and style as leeg as well. so that could help it gain popularity.
I agree I don't think forcing to be an esport this early (its in beta) is a good idea.

Yazzees

remember in 2012-2014 when there was a new moba every month from dumbass suits who thought millions people like the genre itself and not just league/dota specifically

who could forget rise of the immortals and the dc moba lmao

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I remember when EA made one of the more unique Mobas, and shut it down before it got out of Beta since it wasn't popular enough for them.

Hylian7

remember in 2012-2014 when there was a new moba every month from dumbass suits who thought millions people like the genre itself and not just league/dota specifically

who could forget rise of the immortals and the dc moba lmao
Lmao I remember playing Rise of Immortals once to get a thing during a steam sale or something.

I never played it, but I also remember Demigod and all the hype around it.

Fuchsdh

Lmao I remember playing Rise of Immortals once to get a thing during a steam sale or something.

I never played it, but I also remember Demigod and all the hype around it.

Demigod was basically one of the first though, wasn't it? Back when people were thinking the genre was going to be called "action RTS" rather than MOBA.

Hylian7

Demigod was basically one of the first though, wasn't it? Back when people were thinking the genre was going to be called "action RTS" rather than MOBA.
Yeah, if I remember correctly that was in the era that LoL and HoN were going into beta, and Dota 2 wasn't even announced yet. HotS was still known as "Blizzard Dota".

shira

He's always been good; loved him since his Allstars days (and he's got to be one of the heroes with the least changes I can think of in all that time). I've just been running Treant and Veno more because they win me more games.

I wish I could do the pld shadowblade/silveredge build. I never get enough gold though

Top Bottom