• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Helix will consider porting new Strider to Wii U if there’s demand

Terrell

- I see we're back to blaming all third party offerings on WiiU (oh and Wii as well) as naff. That elitist community feel.
Are you seriously making the argument that 3rd party offerings were anything CLOSE to parity with PS360? Saying so is probably the most dishonest thing you could ever say.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Are you seriously making the argent that 3rd party offerings were anything CLOSE to parity with PS360?

Theyre offerings close to if not an exact mirror of what the Xbox 360 faced with PS2 ports and they still sold to acceptable amounts because people were eager for HD and the stuff the next-generation consoles would bring. Then in kind, PS3 experienced sloppy 360 ports itself, and yet they still sold to acceptable amounts, and here we are.

Congrats to the ultra-clued up hardcore "doesn't touch an 8/10 effort" WiiU install base. Enjoy the good times!

And what the fuck is this I'm reading about Strider being a retail release and not $15 digital? Surely just bullshit in the wind I hope.

I still can't believe there's people who are blaming anyone but Nintendo for the Wii U's failings as a platform. Even Nintendo blamed themselves.

Like I said, this a developer who is, at least, considering the idea of a Wii U game but considering how some people are dismissing it, I guess there's no demand and, as such, Wii U owners don't want third party games.

OryoN

This BS line again? So in the end, Wii U will gets another late port long after the hype has died, with a non-advertised-stealth-release in which the game struggles to sell just 10k copies(if that much), so the devs can then says: "See! That's why investing in Wii U is a bad idea." Doing way more harm than good, in the long run.

If you're not going to give Wii U owners proper treatment, then just don't bother. Though some will argue otherwise, I think this lame attitude from devs just fuels this vicious Nintendo-console-syndrome cycle, even more than doing nothing at all.

idlewild_

And what the fuck is this I'm reading about Strider being a retail release and not $15 digital?

According to the Capcom blog post, the title is being released digitally:

Yes, the unstoppable, Cypher-wielding ninja Hiryu returns in Strider, due out digitally in early 2014 for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC. Trailer, screens, and more info after the jump!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/07/18/strider-returns-in-early-2014

Where are people seeing that it is a full $60 retail release?

This BS line again? So in the end, Wii U will gets another late port long after the hype has died, with a non-advertised-stealth-release in which the game struggles to sell just 10k copies(if that much), so the devs can then says: "See! That's why investing in Wii U is a bad idea." Doing way more harm than good, in the long run.

If you're not going to give Wii U owners proper treatment, then just don't bother. Though some will argue otherwise, I think this lame attitude from devs just fuels this vicious Nintendo-console-syndrome cycle, even more than doing nothing at all.

It's never coming to Wii U. This is just a nice and diplomatic way of saying that. They aren't givine Wii U owners proper treatment because Wii U owners don't exist. "If There is demand for it" isn't saying "Everyone who owns a Wii U go on twitter and mention how much you want the game!", it is saying "If people start buying the damn system"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I kinda agree, although, look at what happened with the Wii: you had 3rd party developers making games like MadWorld, No More Heroes, and Sin & Punishment... and despite those being for core gamers and developed from the ground up for Nintendo's system, they all sold like complete shit. So naturally, publishers became hesitant to do anything exclusively for Nintendo systems... and now they're discovering that even the safe approach -- porting a multiplatform game to a Nintendo console is still a waste.

I guess the point is, 3rd party efforts for the WiiU are pathetic, but there's a reason why we've reached this pitiful state.

You make it sound like it's a click of a button.

Certainly not, but it definitely prevents physical issues (cases, retail space, retailer's cuts, discs, etc...). And it would be especially easy to do since PS360 are both seeing the game as well.

Really I think the Wii U could be a fantastic console if it was all eShop for third parties at least... barring Nintendo's ass-backward account problem.

Terrell

I kinda agree, although, look at what happened with the Wii: you had 3rd party developers making games like MadWorld, No More Heroes, and Sin & Punishment... and despite those being for core gamers and developed from the ground up for Nintendo's system, they all sold like complete shit. So naturally, publishers became hesitant to do anything exclusively for Nintendo systems... and now they're discovering that even the safe approach -- porting a multiplatform game to a Nintendo console is still a waste.

I guess the point is, 3rd party efforts for the WiiU are pathetic, but there's a reason why we've reached this pitiful state.
Sin & Punishment was a 1st-party title that sold like shit because Nintendo forgot to tell people they were releasing it.
No More Heroes sold better on the Wii than the PS360 remake. By quite a fair chunk. But you're never going to see people extrapolate any meaning from that.
And MadWorld? Great idea, poor execution (hehehe, puns are awesome) and the worst marketing of any Platinum game from Sega. Which is saying a lot.

Danny Dudekisser

Sin & Punishment was a 1st-party title that sold like shit because Nintendo forgot to tell people they were releasing it.
No More Heroes sold better on the Wii than the PS360 remake. By quite a fair chunk. But you're never going to see people extrapolate any meaning from that.
And MadWorld? Great idea, poor execution (hehehe, puns are awesome) and the worst marketing of any Platinum game from Sega. Which is saying a lot.

Right, but seemingly every 3rd party, core game was met with poor sales for one reason or another. Regardless of whose fault it was, the takeaway for publishers was "don't make games for Nintendo consoles."

And I liked MadWorld :(

VariantX

"Demand" = installed base.

yep. its a cute way of saying what they should honestly have said from the beginning. It leads to people getting their hopes up thinking if they can get enough people to say they want it when the fact is, there's not enough systems sold for them to want to port it. There was far more demand for a megaman game across users from all platforms and yet it still didn't happen.

Not trying to make excuses for bad sales here but whatever here it goes.
-Madworld would have bombed on any system. Its psuedo-sequel Anarchy Reigns bombed on the PS3 and 360.
-No More Heroes sold pretty well on the Wii. The multiple PS3 re-releases haven't done nearly as well.
-Sin and Punishment 2 was a first party game, it was a niche franchise, in a niche genre selling for $50 it was doomed from the start and I'm happy it even got made. If they continue the franchise in the future, it just needs to be $20 releases on eshop.

"Demand" = installed base.
In that case there shouldn't be a PS4 or Xbox One version.

Danny Dudekisser

Not trying to make excuses for bad sales here but whatever here it goes.
-Madworld would have bombed on any system. Its psuedo-sequel Anarchy Reigns bombed on the PS3 and 360.
-No More Heroes sold pretty well on the Wii. The multiple PS3 re-releases haven't done nearly as well.
-Sin and Punishment 2 was a first party game, it was a niche franchise, in a niche genre selling for $50 it was doomed from the start and I'm happy it even got made. If they continue the franchise in the future, it just needs to be $20 releases on eshop.

Totally valid points again, but see my post above. I still think the takeaway, regardless of bad decisions, was that you should stay away from publishing games on Ninty's systems.

In that case there shouldn't be a PS4 or Xbox One version.

Are people who keep making this lame bulletpoint dense? A system that is out and that nobody wants or is buying is worse than a system that isn't out at all but is showing signs of demand. Hype for Xbone and PS4 is out the door. On the other hand 6 months prior to Wii U launch nobody knew what the fuck it even was (and most still don't). The situations couldn't be any more different.

Have you seen the 3rd party offerings on the Wii U or even the Wii? If you're going to remark on my supposedly false comparison, it's best to check your own.

And no, it's not the late 90s, but the principle is the same: content creates a userbase, not the console. THAT is why the NES and SNES succeeded as they did, no other reason. Same with the PlayStation brand. Nothing keeps that from happening again except 3rd parties themselves.
The times have changed, but this truth doesn't change, so using that as a crutch for why this has happened makes us no better than the 3rd parties we are lambasting for shitty excuses.

Personally, I do not think third party offerings on the Wii U have been lackluster compared to their PS3/X360 counterparts like people insinuate. Tekken Tag 2, Ninja Gaiden 3: RE, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Zombi U, Need For Speed, Call of Duty: BO2 to name a few were all solid to excellent games ignored in a time where there were not a plethora of games available. Yeah, some of the ports have issues and whatnot, but they are still considered quality games overall. These games failed to sell remotely well even when there wasn't much competition. If third party games sold on Nintendo systems, third parties be swarming around it like bees to honey. Third parties will support anything that will make them money whether it's PS5 or ios9. PS3 received plenty and still occasionally receives crappy ports of third party games, yet they typically still sell admirably well. The fact of the matter is it seems like the Nintendo contingent doesn't purchase third party games like PS3 and X360 owners. I keep hearing, Nintendo owners ignore these third party offerings because the ports are considered horrendous or rushed, but I think it goes much deeper than that. I just don't think there is interest there in the first place.

Who cares anymore. Nintendo, and 3rd parties killed Nintendo's console. It is what it is. Happy now everyone? Now you'll have a bunch of homogenized dude bro shooters the entire generation.

Put it on 3ds instead if you are worried about sales. You don't even need to gage demand. Just drop it on a slow week and profit. Seems to work for a lot of games. Strider doesn't look nearly as bad as it's being made out to be anyway.

Who cares anymore. Nintendo, and 3rd parties killed Nintendo's console. It is what it is. Happy now everyone? Now you'll have a bunch of homogenized dude bro shooters the entire generation.

Yeah because Nintendo is the only one not making homogenized dude bro shooters. If only they could save us with their Mario games....and their Mario games....and the other Mario game....no not that one, the one with the cat suit.

impact

Banned
Yeah because Nintendo is the only one not making homogenized dude bro shooters. If only they could save us with their Mario games....and their Mario games....and the other Mario game....no not that one, the one with the cat suit.

Have you seen Nintendoland?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Personally, I do not think third party offerings on the Wii U have been lackluster compared to their PS3/X360 counterparts like people insinuate which lead to their dismal sales. Tekken Tag 2, Ninja Gaiden 3: RE, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Zombi U, Need For Speed, Call of Duty: BO2 to name a few were all solid to excellent games ignored in a time where there were not a plethora of games available. Yeah, some of the ports have issues and whatnot, but they are still considered quality games overall. These games failed to sell remotely well even when there wasn't much competition. If third party games sold on Nintendo systems, third parties be swarming around it like bees to honey. Third parties will support anything that will make them money whether it's PS5 or ios9. PS3 received plenty and still occasionally receives crappy ports of third party games, yet they typically still sell admirably well. The fact of the matter is it seems like the Nintendo contingent doesn't purchase third party games like PS3 and X360 owners. Sales data speaks volumes.

As someone that would love more decent third party games on the Wii U, I can't think of a single Third Party game on Wii U that wasn't either:

Late
Lacking the features of the PS360 versions
Both

For me, this Sniper Elite V2 image sums up the state of the overwhelming majority of Wii U third party support so far:

tbt3.jpg

Now, I'm not saying that a fully-featured game that was released day and date with the other versions would do any better, I'm just saying that so far no third parties have been willing to find out. All I can say is that I would be far more likely to buy it.

I'm quite divided by this announcement.

One one hand it is Strider Hiryu we're talking about. An icon of gaming history.

On the other hand, these are the same people who fucking ruined Front Mission as a franchise forever with that abomination of a game called Front Mission Evolved.

Fuck that shit. I can't believe they're being given high profile work from BOTH CAPCOM and Microsoft (with Killer Instinct)

What exactly have they done in the past to earn the trust of these publishers to hand over their potentially top tier franchises?

Looking back at their "illustrious" history of titles it does seem like this game and Killer Instinct will be consigned to the dustbins of gaming history alongside their other poorly done contract work from the other publishers like Square Enix et. al.

I think Wii U owners have actually dodged a bullet right here.

Oh Nintendo is as much of a problem as the rest of the industry, but if they die in the console space it will still be awful for the industry as a whole. People need to stop even giving press to dumbass companies that talk about "tests" on a console. The age of that even being relevant is long past.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What exactly have they done in the past to earn the trust of these publishers to hand over their potentially top tier franchises?

My guess? They work cheap. Publishers go to Double Helix when they don't want to risk too much money.
That or they have zero faith in bringing back old IPs that they purposely go to this shitty developer.
Still, every time I look at Double Helix's track record, I can't help but sigh in disbelief that big companies keep contracting them.

ZenTzen

i'd rather they focus on the issues people are complaining about since the reveal

WiiU should have been called Wii2 from the beginning, not that stupid WiiU name

idlewild_

What top tier franchise have they been given? Looking at their history they've just done film adaptations or franchises that are on the downturn or being revived. Sounds like they're just really cheap to hire and pump out a game.

I'm quite divided by this announcement.

One one hand it is Strider Hiryu we're talking about. An icon of gaming history.

On the other hand, these are the same people who fucking ruined Front Mission as a franchise forever with that abomination of a game called Front Mission Evolved.

Fuck that shit. I can't believe they're being given high profile work from BOTH CAPCOM and Microsoft (with Killer Instinct)

Looking back at their "illustrious" history of titles it does seem like this game and Killer Instinct will be consigned to the dustbins of gaming history alongside their other poorly done contract work from the other publishers like Square Enix et. al.

I think Wii U owners have actually dodged a bullet right here.

Since when have Killer Instinct and Strider been top tier franchises? It isn't 1995 anymore.

As long as you put in competent work on time and on budget, it seems that publishers will give you a chance. Both games are only digital releases at the moment, it's not like anyone is going to lose tens of millions advertising these games on TV.

Kimawolf

Are people who keep making this lame bulletpoint dense? A system that is out and that nobody wants or is buying is worse than a system that isn't out at all but is showing signs of demand. Hype for Xbone and PS4 is out the door. On the other hand 6 months prior to Wii U launch nobody knew what the fuck it even was (and most still don't). The situations couldn't be any more different.

You're trying a bit too hard. the Wii U actually did good.. at launch, it only now just fell off. Fact is every generation we get the same bullshit "omg we're gonna sell a bazillion systems at launch!!! Everyone wants one!" Guess what, it's only been true for one system... The Wii.

So I'll believe it when I see it. These stores also said "omg Wii U is selling out preorders, it's gonna be hawt!" and we see how it ended. So spare me the silly "they gonna be out of this world!!!" hyperbole.

As for what they said. This is what every 3rd party dev says, bottom line is no one wants a late port, so if it doesn't come at launch they may as well not bother. not sure why devs are so dense on that point.

You're trying a bit too hard. the Wii U actually did good.. at launch, it only now just fell off. Fact is every generation we get the same bullshit "omg we're gonna sell a bazillion systems at launch!!! Everyone wants one!" Guess what, it's only been true for one system... The Wii.

So I'll believe it when I see it. These stores also said "omg Wii U is selling out preorders, it's gonna be hawt!" and we see how it ended. So spare me the silly "they gonna be out of this world!!!" hyperbole.

As for what they said. This is what every 3rd party dev says, bottom line is no one wants a late port, so if it doesn't come at launch they may as well not bother. not sure why devs are so dense on that point.

I don't have to "try hard". The numbers bear out the truth of the situation. It did well for about 2 months. Since then it has been putting up Vita numbers. There is a large gap between struggling at launch and being a complete disaster. Wii U has been a complete disaster. It is putting up worse numbers than PS3 or Gamecube (two other systems that "struggled" post launch) ever did in any individual month.

And the problems for the Wii U did extend to pre-launch. The issues with marketing, the product confusion, lack of games both at launch and on the horizon were all things that were brought up months before launch. All of those problems that Iwata only now admitted to were things that many people saw the writing on the wall about a year ago.

onipex

I doubt there is demand for this game at all, but hey they get it port it.

3rd party titles sold on Nintendo systems despite Nintendo's best efforts to suppress them. Remember publishing limitations on the NES? Konami had to spin off another label (Ultra Games) just so they could publish all their games. You left that out of your history lesson, lol.

Remember companies flooding the market with crapy games and crashing the console market before Nintendo revived it? Nintendo's polices were extreme but they had their reasons for some of them.

Weng

It's a retro IP, and a metroidvania?

Aren't those two things that Nintendo fans normally eat up?

That would be like SEGA announcing a Sonic game for everything except Wii U and would consider it if demand could be proven.

Also: did the other consoles have to prove demand prior to getting the game? If so, how?
This. And the Genesis version of Strider even came out on the Wii's VC.

Terrell

There's a demand for those systems. There is none for Wii U.
I remember when there was pre-launch demand for the Vita, too.
And the PS4 I'd possibly concede, but X1? It had the worst reveal since PS3, worse than WiiU even! Any mid to long term demand for that is a fabrication.

Top Bottom