• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Helix will consider porting new Strider to Wii U if there’s demand

.la1n

Your going to be hard pressed to find someone willing to spend 60 bucks on this to begin with. Wii U isn't missing out on anything.

Hmm when I think about it, I think he wanted to say if there was demand for the console itself maybe, not the game. But he can't say that out loud obviously..

I mean there is no demand on the other consoles to begin with.

Yep,

I just learned about that too. I was expecting a $15 XBLA/PSN game.

I feel like people need to pack way more effort and content into 2D games for them to sell these days. And improve the presentation, I mean seriously - it does look like an XBLA game. I'm perfectly fine with games like these being retail games, but they've gotta look the part.

Double Helix can keep it. I don't think we need them on Wii U.

I've been hearing that a lot lately. Maybe that is one reason third parties avoid the Wii U because they know their games are not going to sell no matter how good they are because most owners will not even give their games a chance. At this point, if I was a Wii U owner, I would at least try to embrace and be grateful for any support I can receive from third parties.

VariantX

If its $60, then there's no demand on ANY platform. People were thinking this was a game in the vein of Bionic Commando Re-Armed. That is going to kill any kind of hype for this game.

Exile20

Even if the demand is there, it will be a late port and it will bomb. So Wii U customers will be to blamed for not spending $60 for a late port again.

No win situation here.

Mlatador

Banned
Wii U has more than enough indie-games. One less isn't gonna hurt the platform at all. And to be honest, the competition is pretty strong; There are already more indie-titles that look better, so...

gogojira

I've been hearing that a lot lately. Maybe that is one reason third parties avoid the Wii U because they know their games are not going to sell no matter how good they are because most owners will not even give their games a chance. At this point, if I was a Wii U owner, I would at least try to embrace and be grateful for any support I can receive from third parties.

It's less a real attitude and more a defense for people upset when the Wii U gets shunned. As a Wii U owner, I'd love for nearly anything to be hitting the damn system at this point and I sure as shit don't have an "ah, who needs 'em!" attitude with this game because it looks really good. Although I guess it doesn't really matter for me because I'll have about every platform it's launching on so I'm covered.

-Horizon-

Translation: "We're not doing a Wii U version"

We want to do something unique that takes advantage of the gamepad.

All of our current development resources are for other systems but we'll think about a Wii U version.

We gave them a port of an old game but no one bought it so we are currently rethinking our Wii U support strategy.

What's a Wii U? Does it have the ram?

Zoon

39897071.jpg

Mlatador

Banned
A game published by Capcom, developed by Double Helix, and using a 20+ year old IP that has been featured in Marvel Vs Capcom, is pretty much the exact opposite of "indie". Indie does not mean 2D and/or downloadable.

When I load into the e-Shop I'm more like "where the fuck all the games at?" Maybe in the distance future that will be different. Also, this game isn't indie but people have told you that already.

Wait, it's not indie? Oh... But it looks a little like it, no?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So can we demand that WayForward develop this game instead?

Real response: I'm really tired of Capcom's "weeelllll maybe if you beg for it we'll let you have it." Just tell us yes or no, and stop bullshitting us with every goddamn announcement.

MormaPope

Banned
"The Wii-U needs more games, I love my Wii-U!"

"Oh, that game isn't from a AAA or well established developer? Don't need it."

Feels like some Wii-U owners have some Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde going on in their minds. Ports of games from 2011 and 2012 get some of you excited but a Metroidvania reboot doesn't? The Wii-U needs everything it can get.

Isn't double helix known for making bad to mediocre games anyway?

They've made mediocre games in the past yes. Holding that against them for as long as their studio exists is starting to get extremely silly.

MormaPope

Banned
Before Mercury Steam made Castlevania Lords of Shadow they made Scrapland and the demon turd that was Clive Barker's Jericho. Lords of Shadow is a excellent game, and the best 3D Castlevania to date.

If anything people should be apprehensive of what they see from gameplay or previews versus whose making the game. Fans of older Strider games have reasons to be apprehensive based on gameplay shown. They don't just plop out "lol Double Helix, shit company".

Its just lazy and winded criticism. As if every developer, programmer, coder, or designer has only worked on masterpieces and revolutionary games.

And people buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. If they didn't, these 3rd parties would have died in the early to mid-90s.

3rd party titles sold on Nintendo systems despite Nintendo's best efforts to suppress them. Remember publishing limitations on the NES? Konami had to spin off another label (Ultra Games) just so they could publish all their games. You left that out of your history lesson, lol.

And people buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. If they didn't, these 3rd parties would have died in the early to mid-90s.

So people bought third party games on Nintendo systems in the early 90s? Great selling point.

Businesses used to use Blackberrys almost exclusively too. Hasn't stopped them from sinking to the bottom of the mobile phone market.

Um....not recently. We are not in the 90's anymore. Have you seen the third party game sales on the Wii U and even the on the Wii? I say since the Playstation really took off, that's when third party sales started to decline on Nintendo consoles. A significant difference from the SNES and NES days I think.

Terrell

Um....not recently. We are not in the 90's anymore. Have you seen the third party game sales on the Wii U and even the on the Wii? I say since the Playstation really took off, that's when third party sales started to decline on Nintendo consoles. A significant difference from the SNES and NES days I think.
Have you seen the 3rd party offerings on the Wii U or even the Wii? If you're going to remark on my supposedly false comparison, it's best to check your own.

And no, it's not the late 90s, but the principle is the same: content creates a userbase, not the console. THAT is why the NES and SNES succeeded as they did, no other reason. Same with the PlayStation brand. Nothing keeps that from happening again except 3rd parties themselves.
The times have changed, but this truth doesn't change, so using that as a crutch for why this has happened makes us no better than the 3rd parties we are lambasting for shitty excuses.

Have you seen the 3rd party offerings on the Wii U or even the Wii? If you're going to remark on my false comparison, it's best to check your own.

And no, it's not the late 90s, but the principle is the same: content creates a userbase, not the console. THAT is why the NES and SNES succeeded as they did, no other reason. Same with the PlayStation brand. Nothing keeps that from happening again except 3rd parties themselves.

I'd argue a good part of the lack of third party offerings is Nintendo's stubbornness to create a system that 3rd parties want to work with. In my opinion, that is Nintendo's biggest problem.

Terrell

I'd argue a good part of the lack of third party offerings is Nintendo's stubbornness to create a system that 3rd parties want to work with. In my opinion, that is Nintendo's biggest problem.
It's at least at architectural parity with 2 systems they haven't been able to get enough of for the past 6-7 years despite one of them having almost as shitty sales as WiiU, this kinda falls flat as a reason, especially in a thread about a PS360 game.
I'd say PS3 makes my whole point about content selling people on a console that is otherwise unpalatable.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have you seen the 3rd party offerings on the Wii U or even the Wii? If you're going to remark on my supposedly false comparison, it's best to check your own.

The times have changed, but this truth doesn't change, so using that as a crutch for why this has happened makes us no better than the 3rd parties we are lambasting for shitty excuses.

- I see we're back to blaming all third party offerings on WiiU (oh and Wii as well) as naff. That elitist community feel.
- Sony and Microsoft actively courted third parties through every means possible, and their latest hardware is built directly to their feedback and wants. WiiU isn't. Surprise!
- The times are in which everything that isn't Mario simply isn't putting up vaguely acceptable numbers on WiiU. There is no other more relevant truth.

Top Bottom