• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doujin Games at Comiket 85

Some most of those character designs.
ibgrcIp3EXzn2e.gif

Otherwise, a few interesting looking games.

Still waiting for ZUN to come back into reality and put Touhou on Steam. You have western fans!
That would great. I'm glad to have heard recently that ZUN is open to the idea. I can understand the reservations he might have had about it. Touhou is such a wonderful place for fans to express themselves because ZUN has control of his IP and encourages it. If a publisher had influence, all sorts of problems could arise. And all of the amazing artists who contributed to the franchise as a community could start getting cease and desists.

And that would pretty much ruin everything that's good about Touhou right now. I'd hate to see what's happened to the My Little Pony fandom, also happen to the Touhou fandom.

On that subject, if the games were put on Steam, I wonder how it could be done in such a way that fangames could be put on Steam, too. It would be nice to see both the official games and the tasteful fangames reach Steam, as well. Another problem with publishers or such having an influence in matters, is that not only could it stop people from making fanworks, but could prevent fangames from being localized, as well. Many of the fangames are incredibly high quality works.

If this could happen, I'd buy pretty much every single one of them on the first day they were released on Steam. Even if I already own several of them already.

kiri

My friend has a stall at Comiket this year, lucky guy!

I have plans right now so I can't make it this time but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make the events next year.

Uraizen

Banned
Some of these games are my jam. Luckily I saw one I wanted that's already being published on Steam. So that's a win.

Khaz

I can't say this %100 sure, but most people don't even know the vast majority of doujin games until they get released here. Recettear was practically unknown until it got into Steam, like many other games.

I only know Touhou because some people I play other games with (TF2/Dota2) use some of them as avatars and I asked.

Dounjins will stay niche as long as they stay physical only and full game price.

Comiket is fun maybe, but they would sell thousands times more if they went to full digital distribution at a 10-15$ price point. The success of Carpe Fulgur translated games is proof of that.

On that subject, if the games were put on Steam, I wonder how it could be done in such a way that fangames could be put on Steam, too. It would be nice to see both the official games and the tasteful fangames reach Steam, as well. Another problem with publishers or such having an influence in matters, is that not only could it stop people from making fanworks, but could prevent fangames from being localized, as well. Many of the fangames are incredibly high quality works.

You just need to word the licence right. With something like CC applied to the characters and story etc. fangames would be allowed to proliferate. And if he is really wary of publishers, he can just add a line like "publishers not allowed" or something.

What's in the book?

It's a guide book about the different package designs used in doujin games. A lot have really neat packaging for their retail versions and that's still a strong component in the doujin philosophy. In that case, it shows designs from some prime STGs (shmups) by some of the most important circles like Siter Skain and ZUN/Team Shangai Alice and stuff from Edelweiss (Ether Vapor, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Astebreed) and souvenir circ. (Croixleur, which btw is coming to Steam as Croixleur Sigma). There is also the guys who made Seihou (west project, kind of a reply to Touhou that never seemed to garner all that much attention), RebRank (who made Samidare, which is one of the most brutal shield-based shmups around) and CrossEaglet (aka, the Revolver 360 games).

Since this is Volume 1 I guess more will show up with other circles. Hope to see Platine Dispositif and Astro Port.

Speaking of Astro Port, if it weren't for this damn heat wave striking here I would've had more news about Gigantic Army, argh.

Today is the doujin game day. Wish I could be there, dammit...

Kysen

The one title I am interested in is Astabreed as it looks like a 2D Zone of the Enders. But the site download(trial) mirrors don't work :(

KDR_11k

You just need to word the licence right. With something like CC applied to the characters and story etc. fangames would be allowed to proliferate. And if he is really wary of publishers, he can just add a line like "publishers not allowed" or something.

Publishers would throw their lawyers at it and figure out some way to not qualify as publishers under the license. Lawyering (both professional and everyday things like rule lawyering) is why we can't have nice things.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's a guide book about the different package designs used in doujin games. A lot have really neat packaging for their retail versions and that's still a strong component in the doujin philosophy.
Ah, interesting I didn't realize that. I expected something to do with game engines maybe.

Definitely going to try to get my hands on ASTEBREED.
Was a big fan of Ether Vapor. Glad to see them stepping their game up even more.

shaowebb

I needs me a montage vid of all the shmups. Time to make a to do list for the year.

EDIT: Revolver 360 Reactor seems badass. Wall of bullets blocking your path? Rotate perspective till they are shown as a line.

Durante

As far as I can tell, there's a first person shooter with Rift support where you are a battleship. Amazing.

Edit: And then there's the game with the rolling panda (?) head. Amazing ²

El Sloth

Banned
As far as I can tell, there's a first person shooter with Rift support where you are a battleship. Amazing.

Edit: And then there's the game with the rolling panda (?) head. Amazing ²
It's too bad these guys don't get the same sort of coverage that western indie developers do.

It's too bad these guys don't get the same sort of coverage that western indie developers do.

Well, we tried to give them some coverage but it is indeed quite troublesome at time. I was caught up in a lot of personal problems and situations this year but I wrote a shmup highlight series of articles last year about Comiket 83 and, if demand is high or people are interested, I may do the same this time around. Although I prefer to do it the legal way, by getting the games, playing them and providing some input on mechanics and stuff.

I'm a methodical dude. :p

The one about shooting cubes with Rift support is still an early alpha, called "atomic" by ex-Square dev i-saint. (If you were wondering where all the japanese talent left: most became doujin devs, like the Streets of Rage dev Micky Albert, who made Super Chain Crusher Horizon, the widest shmup ever and got it approved on Greenlight.) Freaking awesome, I quite like the guy's work and he's doing a little series of addons for C++ called Alcantarea. Programmer stuff but looks quite useful.

Doods, why don't we compile a list of all doujin games on Steam and open up a DoujinGAF topic or something... We need a central hub for this kind of talk, heh.

And Comiket is over too. Japan doesn't appear to sleep though, these guys are glued to Twitter.

KDR_11k

Interesting that they're going doujin now, from what I heard the culture in Japan is strongly against starting your own business in favor of joining a large company.

Wish I could have made it this time but there is just too much going on. I have still only been to the Summer event which is basically the worst thing I have ever done in my life. And I went twice! Never again.

One of my co-workers actually brought back Steel Strider from the Digital Game Expo in Tokyo and....I left it sitting on my desk before going on break. DAMN!

I'll have to go next Winter for sure!

Wish I could have made it this time but there is just too much going on. I have still only been to the Summer event which is basically the worst thing I have ever done in my life. And I went twice! Never again.

One of my co-workers actually brought back Steel Strider from the Digital Game Expo in Tokyo and....I left it sitting on my desk before going on break. DAMN!

I'll have to go next Winter for sure!

Ok, that means I'll have to go on Winter too... I was planning to go on Summer because air tickets are cheaper in that time frame, and when you live where I live, every little cent counts :( It's so bloody expensive. Screw inflation and devalued currency, ugh.

I've heard of the murderous heat but is it THAT bad? Damn... We've had 17 days of temperatures over 30 degrees, half of the time close to 40.

shaowebb

Im down for Doujin Gaf. Lets see...

• Bunny must die
  • Gundemonium ReCollection
  • Gundeadligne
  • Hitogata Happa
  • eXceed 2nd Vampire Rex
  • eXceed 3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package
  • eXceed-Gun Bullet Children
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • eryi's action
  • Fairie Blook Freesia
  • Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
  • Fortune Summoners:Secret of the elemental stone
  • Recettear: An item shops tale
  • Chantelise:A tale of two sisters

There should be more than this too. Did Nyu media ever get the Alltynex Siter Skain trilogy on Steam (Kamui, Reflex, and Alltynex Second)?

Im down for Doujin Gaf. Lets see...

• Bunny must die
  • Gundemonium ReCollection
  • Gundeadligne
  • Hitogata Happa
  • eXceed 2nd Vampire Rex
  • eXceed 3rd Jade Penetrate Black Package
  • eXceed-Gun Bullet Children
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • eryi's action
  • Fairie Blook Freesia
  • Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
  • Fortune Summoners:Secret of the elemental stone
  • Recettear: An item shops tale
  • Chantelise:A tale of two sisters

There should be more than this too. Did Nyu media ever get the Alltynex Siter Skain trilogy on Steam (Kamui, Reflex, and Alltynex Second)?

I'm not the one that should be saying this but you are missing La Mulana and Unholy Heights ;P

There is also Cave Story+.

Yep, we got the Alltynex games approved (YAY! JUSTICE! Kamui is a landmark for japanese indies and, to me, the title that marked the start of the Windows-developed games after having devs split between PC-98, FM Towns, the x68000 and such) but Siter Skain are always a busy bunch. RefleX was an over ten year project that was halted at one point and resurfaced for real in 1998. It seems their new game is also a project that was in development for ages but may only come to fruition now. Long development cycles, yeah, but at least they deliver, heh!

Other stuff that got approved from Greenlight was Super Chain Crusher Horizon, the Streets of Rage dev STG, the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidest (and I mean Hidamari Sketch-wide) shmup since Darius with an OST by a renowned swedish techno artist.

The Narcissu games have been approved too, those were by Sekai Project.

Suguri Collection was also approved (fuck yeah!)

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, the lewd sword fighter that keeps reminding me of Tecmo (I wonder if one of the devs actually worked for Tecmo, heh) was also approved.

Higurashi was also approved but that may take ages to come.

War of the Human Tanks by the fine fellows of Fruitbat Factory also got approved.

Vanguard Princess was approved as well so that's more fighting games on Steam.

Ikaruga could be considered mid-to-high tier japanese indie gaming now that Treasure is doing this on its own.

Currently hanging in GL are One Way Heroics and this little gem called Miko Gakkou: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199098435

Stuff is coming, we just don't have a centralized GAF area to blabber about it. And we need dat frothing demand to keep the thread up. Come on, DoujinGAF, let's step it up!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not the one that should be saying this but you are missing La Mulana and Unholy Heights ;P

Hahaha, always appreciate the callout!

Yeah, we're always grabbing doujin stuff to localize for the western audience. Can't wait to sift through the C85 content and see what we can grab.

I don't think I have enough GAF credentials (not even a custom title yet) to make a doujin-centered thread: Something like "DoujinGAF - Kanji Attack: First Blood" or "Japan goes PC" or something like that, who knows. At least we can have a centralised thread to put up news and stuff or do giveaways.

Because it's New Year and I may have some Eryi's Action keys and Armed Seven codes up for grabs, you know. A Kawaii Moe Santa.

Maybe I should use Modbot but I still don't quite grasp how that mysterious entity works.

I don't think I have enough GAF credentials (not even a custom title yet) to make a doujin-centered thread: Something like "DoujinGAF - Kanji Attack: First Blood" or "Japan goes PC" or something like that, who knows. At least we can have a centralised thread to put up news and stuff or do giveaways.

Because it's New Year and I may have some Eryi's Action keys and Armed Seven codes up for grabs, you know. A Kawaii Moe Santa.

Maybe I should use Modbot but I still don't quite grasp how that mysterious entity works.

The good news is that you're a full member, so you can make threads., The bad news is that you're a part of Nyu Media proposing a thread that will promote Nyu Media (amongst other companies), so it's probably a good idea to run the idea past a moderator, lest you get banned for advertising.

The good news is that you're a full member, so you can make threads., The bad news is that you're a part of Nyu Media proposing a thread that will promote Nyu Media (amongst other companies), so it's probably a good idea to run the idea past a moderator, lest you get banned for advertising.

Yeah, don't want that indeed, especially because I lurk the Steam thread like a champion and I can't miss the Metal Gear Rising talk... Preordered that beast and, like with Dark Souls, I get the feeling I'll need to discuss that game a fair bit.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As long as I still get to make Comiket threads ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

Top Bottom