• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doujin Games at Comiket 86

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity looks very good.

Yep, agreed. I'd totally be interested if it was an original IP. The fact it isn't not only hurts my interest but also any chance of it being picked up. It's so clearly inspired by Ys. Almost a little too much inspiration, maybe...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wish someone would tell these guys about steam or desura

There's a very good reason why we send staff to Comiket each summer. :)

You'd need someone to publish and translate them into english first.

Companies like playism and carpe fulgar (though the are currently busy with trails in the sky I believe) have already released some of these kind of games on steam.

Thanks for the mention! :D

Comiket is a great place to meet some amazingly talented creators.

gngf123

Disappointingly few interesting looking games in the new IP video. Although there were a couple that looked okay.

Of course the most interesting game there is a damn Touhou fangame.

Zornica

Banned
I really liked both Ghost94 and the Touhou fan game.. (and a few others)

Is there any way to get my hands on those games after Comiket ended?

ArjanN

Reminds me of Mike Tyson's Punch Out for some reason.

That's because it's basically what it is, except with slapping and a goofy premise.

I wish someone would tell these guys about steam or desura

The Rose and Camilla sequel (?) is by Nigoro, who also did La Mulana (on Steam and La Mulana 2 will be as well)
I saw Neo Aquarium 2 in there and the first one of that is on Playism.
There was a Fairy Bloom Freesia (sequel? "Ultra encore") in there by Edelweiss, they have Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ether Vapor Remaster and Astebreed on Steam.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see the more promising of these games show up here through Playism/Nyu-media etc..

Dambrosi

Banned
That's because it's basically what it is, except with slapping and a goofy premise.
Except that, since it plays exclusively with a mouse, it feels completely different and unique.
The Rose and Camilla sequel (?) is by Nigoro, who also did La Mulana (on Steam and La Mulana 2 will be as well)
I saw Neo Aquarium 2 in there and the first one of that is on Playism.
There was a Fairy Bloom Freesia (sequel? "Ultra encore") in there by Edelweiss, they have Fairy Bloom Freesia, Ether Vapor Remaster and Astebreed on Steam.
Indeed, but the version of Freesia on Steam looks a lot better than the version in the video. Is it possible that the Steam version was a remake of some kind?
I wouldn't be that surprised to see the more promising of these games show up here through Playism/Nyu-media etc..
I'd say that Neo Aquarium 2 is a lock for Playism, since they released the first game in the West, as is Rose & Camellia Fatamorgana (Edelweiss/Nigoro). Ninetails and Wolflame seem to be Nyu Media's style of game. As for Raiders Sphere 4th, SkyLens, the Ghost9 series, Ninja Rising, and Magischer Regenschrim (henceforth known as 2cute-'em-up4u) - who knows? 2cute-'em-up4u looks like a Carpe Fulgur speciality, though, considering their love of all things kawaii :p

TorqueL is a lock, it's already coming to Steam (probably via JP Greenlight, if there is such a thing - and if there isn't why not? Biased Gaben :p), and looks very interesting in a Thomas Was Alone-style "abstract puzzle-platformer" sort of way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Western release for it in the near future.

ArjanN

Except that, since it plays exclusively with a mouse, it feels completely different and unique.

Well it wasn't meant as a put down, I just meant that it's similar in that you're basically watching the enemies for tells in a similar fashion.

Indeed, but the version of Freesia on Steam looks a lot better than the version in the video. Is it possible that the Steam version was a remake of some kind?

Maybe it's just early, I think it's on Unreal Engine 4 by the way. :p

Lucumo

SonyToo!™;124788560 said:
Also there were ways to get hold of doujins legally, either through importing or the odd release downloadable from DLsite.
Doesn't always work. I tried to import Battle Moon Wars The Best edition via a forwarding service and the site which had it told them they don't sell to foreigners...

What a shame, I really wanted that game. Would have even paid thrice the price.

KDR_11k

Most of these games have terrible environment art, even the ones with good character art. That's like 90% of the screen guys, you're really looking bad!

synce

Just once I'd like to see something good that doesn't involve moe shit or fanservice in general :/

Skimmed through the longer video. Y-Cubed's game (40:40ish) was probably the most appealing thing there. PlatineDispositif's effort (16:25ish) looked uncharacteristically dull.

Doesn't always work. I tried to import Battle Moon Wars The Best edition via a forwarding service and the site which had it told them they don't sell to foreigners...

What a shame, I really wanted that game. Would have even paid thrice the price.

Just googled Battle Moon Wars and I think it looks sick. I'd also love a copy. I'm a fan of Super Robot Taisen style battle animations and this looks really well made.

Besides Touhou stuff, what are some amazing, popular, or cult classic doujin games that have been made?

TnK

o3ifKB2.jpg

Crowded! And I think summer is worse just based on heat and sickening summer tokyo humidity.

Holly shit, how do you guys survive going there? =|

I imagine the stench to be downright insane, and I hear crazy stories from PAX. I guess it should be experienced once in a lifetime though (not the stench, but actually going to comiket).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just once I'd like to see something good that doesn't involve moe shit or fanservice in general :/

I think these games aren't that bad really. What titles in the video did you think were overly filled with 'moe shit' or fanservice?

Here are some reasons why most of the games you see on Comic Markets are not making it to the English language.

Most of the games you see there are actually not final versions but something like the early access titles on Steam.

Ones that use licenses of some anime without any permission or of Touhou fame are basically no-good for official English localizations either. (Though there are some rumors about changes to the Touhou license)

Then there is the matter of some doujin developers being simply not interested in releasing their titles overseas. There are various reasons for that, like doing this as a hobby and not going to complete the game anytime soon, feeling intimidated by the western market, feeling unsure about working and trusting their game to complete strangers, etc.

But teams like us always keep an eye for interesting titles we can bring to the worldwide English scene and threads like this are always helpful. Thanks.

PS edit: If anyone has any suggestions for us to localize, please drop them on our forum's suggestions section.

Among several, I particularly dug the one sword-duel adventure-looking game with the odd rotating meter thing bisecting the screen---damn novel and the closest, yet still not close enough, for a modern (doujin) take on good old Crossed Swords.

zoku88

Holly shit, how do you guys survive going there? =|

I imagine the stench to be downright insane, and I hear crazy stories from PAX. I guess it should be experienced once in a lifetime though (not the stench, but actually going to comiket).
That area outside is fine. It's when you get to the hall of death where all the regrets surface.

Neo Aquarium2 and Bubble Fantasia looked great. I really hope I get to play those one of these days.

Edit: Oh and the song that was playing during MaskJewelSeeker was pretty sick.

Riposte

Missed this thread. Even though I will likely not play any of those games, I had to watch the whole video which I enjoyed. Am I crazy or did I see a Touhou themed Ace Attorney clone? Anyway the Ys clone looked pretty neat.

Top Bottom