• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doujin Games at Comic Market 84

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
LTqHh.jpg

Wiki if you don't know what Comiket is.

Edelweiss' game preview compilation video (1h8m)

Some of the games (click for video link)
GHost 93 // Site
巫剣神威控 // Site
Perilous Dimension (Oculus Rift support)
VERSH // Site
SwarmSweeper Prototype rev.2
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR // Site
Astebreed // Site

Past around 45m in the video is all Touhou games.

Operation Jaguar blog post on C84 Touhou games.

Will update this is there's a nyu-media post about C84 like there was last year!

C83 Thread
C82 Thread

vareon

Oooh I enjoyed the video montage of last year. Couldn't find a game I liked, though, maybe I'll find one here. Wondering if SpaceDrake is attending.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's annoying how it seems like the easiest way to legally play many of these games is booking a flight to Japan and buying them there on a disc.

One day Japan will learn about PC digital distribution...one day. I wish the Touhou games were easier to find.

Durante

One day Japan will learn about PC digital distribution...one day. I wish the Touhou games were easier to find.
I bought Touhou 6-10 when I was in Japan, and ordering a copy of 11 online and having it shipped would have cost almost as much as getting all of those :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can Doujin developers get on Desura?

More interested in music from C84, for more Crow'sClaw and the SSH/Aether CD. Shame freaking Touhou has to be everywhere though, doujin scene as a whole seems really boring because of it.

Well doujin games were starting to get localised for the western market and become popular in their own way, however Gabe put a big size nine into that idea with Steam's diabolical curation practices and Greenlight. I don't think a single doujin game has made it to steam since Greenlight launched.

Sure you can get them from other digital stores but it's all mostly under the radar and no way for an emerging market to grow. Valve did go to that BittSummit doujin / indie convention in Japan and gave a presentation for how steamworks operates, they must have been trolling though since they have no chance of getting off Greenlight, and somehow I don't see many Japanese indies been up to the task of doing the whole Greenlight PR thing especially when Western doujin localisers like Nyu Media & Rockin Android can't do it.

As for Touhou, ZUN the creator doesn't want Touhou to be sold outside Japan, he want's it to stay a local fan game thing than a full blown commercial concern. Import or torrent is the only way to get them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Can Doujin developers get on Desura?

More interested in music from C84, for more Crow'sClaw and the SSH/Aether CD. Shame freaking Touhou has to be everywhere though, doujin scene as a whole seems really boring because of it.

Playism is probably your best bet. They have some good stuff there, like La-Mulana and Yume Nikki.

/XX/

Yeah, it's annoying how it seems like the easiest way to legally play many of these games is booking a flight to Japan and buying them there on a disc.
I'd like to see sites like DLsite, with its own English Version, get more presence even in the light of giants like DL.Getchu.com, because it could be a reference only for independent developers in the same way COMIC ZIN, for example, also specialized only on that market of professionals for self-published books:

DLsite English: Top Page | Doujin manga and game download shop
http://www.dlsite.com/eng/

Its selection for game titles originally distributed at Comiket is still low, but I hope places like this one can become good alternatives soon.

El Sloth

Banned
So much cool stuff that the rest of world rarely, if ever, gets to see.

Ghost93 looks really really cool. It's too bad that none of the big media sites seem to bother with covering Comiket.

vall03

I seriously want Astebreed! Its also so sad we will never see the Alltynex Trilogy on Steam. Damn Greenlight!

Well doujin games were starting to get localised for the western market and become popular in their own way, however Gabe put a big size nine into that idea with Steam's diabolical curation practices and Greenlight. I don't think a single doujin game has made it to steam since Greenlight launched.

Sure you can get them from other digital stores but it's all mostly under the radar and no way for an emerging market to grow. Valve did go to that BittSummit doujin / indie convention in Japan and gave a presentation for how steamworks operates, they must have been trolling though since they have no chance of getting off Greenlight, and somehow I don't see many Japanese indies been up to the task of doing the whole Greenlight PR thing especially when Western doujin localisers like Nyu Media & Rockin Android can't do it.

As for Touhou, ZUN the creator doesn't want Touhou to be sold outside Japan, he want's it to stay a local fan game thing than a full blown commercial concern. Import or torrent is the only way to get them.

I don't even want to know.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Didn't Ether Vapor get onto Steam? I guess there's hope. And I was going to mention dlsite but the number of comiket titles they have is pretty low. Maybe more will be put up this time ┐(´ー`)┌

gngf123

Very interested in VERSH, REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR and Astebreed. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on them somehow.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I am so glad I dont take the time out to go to these. Id be so damned broke it wouldnt be funny as always do love dojin titles as there is some pretty great stuff out there!

That revolver360 looks fantastic!

I need to have these games on Steam now. I remember Astebreed from last year's even I believe. It looks fantastic.

And you could all probably help that happening by buying the two games from the developer ALREADY on Steam. :p Fairy Bloom Freesia and Ether Vapor Remaster:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570 (now with Steam cards!)

Any income is going to help them polish up Astebreed. Some random trivia, most of these doujin games are self-funded. If there is one thing the japanese have is the strong will to finish a project, even if it takes them years.

Revolver 360 actually has a PC port and a retail edition that can be bought through a small doujin store handled by one of the friends of the dev: http://www.7-iro.org/store

For $7 you can get the disc, which is also an audio CD that contains the OST. FREAKING awesome. The dev rocks.

cuc

ZUN's mindset is that, as a believer of the doujin ideal, he wants to leave out the maximum possible space for Touhou fan creations, as long as they do not cross the line of over-commercialization. However, proper international distribution has important ramifications for this:

1. It will involve foreign copyright legislations, which often are less kind to such fan works.

2. He believes strongly in doing things by himself, and being able to properly associate with his audience, that's why it's so important for him to sell the games at a convention to people, face-to-face.

3. He's not keeping a close watch on what the fandom is doing, but at least when undesirable situations arise in Japan, he is more or less able to deal with it.

With international distribution to foreign audience whose languages he can't spoke, 2. and 3. are impossible or highly difficult to him, and he's lazy enough to not want to exert any energy on that.

Momentary

Banned
And you could all probably help that happening by buying the two games from the developer ALREADY on Steam. :p Fairy Bloom Freesia and Ether Vapor Remaster:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570 (now with Steam cards!)

Any income is going to help them polish up Astebreed. Some random trivia, most of these doujin games are self-funded. If there is one thing the japanese have is the strong will to finish a project, even if it takes them years.

Revolver 360 actually has a PC port and a retail edition that can be bought through a small doujin store handled by one of the friends of the dev: http://www.7-iro.org/store

For $7 you can get the disc, which is also an audio CD that contains the OST. FREAKING awesome. The dev rocks.

I bought those on Steam the day they released lol.

Top Bottom