• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doujin Games at Comiket 89

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wj0Jtbi.jpg

The bi-annual series returns!

Wiki if you don't know what Comiket is.

Usually EdelweissNal video goes here - but there is none yet! C89 is in a few days though, and these end up being kind of defacto "who is going to comiket" threads, so figured why not.

For now, the game circle wiki
http://seesaawiki.jp/comike/

And the STG game list
http://stg.liarsoft.org/c/?p=C89List

Random games. Most links will be nico until that Edelweiss PV comes up.

Touhou RTS
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27826340
https://a.pomf.cat/ivevpk.webm

CyberForce体験版
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27866738

Ultimate Knight ウィンダムSV
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27869956

For any passers-by who grew up in the seedy pockets of the Internet, doujin means independent.

Not erotic manga.

I'm not at all aware of the Japanese indie scene, but it's something I hope we see a boom of in the next few years.

I'm not at all aware of the Japanese indie scene, but it's something I hope we see a boom of in the next few years.

Sadly the boom already happened and almost no one know it outside Japan. I remember 2007: Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Big Bang Beat, the latest Melty Blood (not 100% doujin at the time but still), Trouble Witches, Rosenkreuzstilette... every month had a godlike game, not anymore.

I hope Playism or another publisher picks up Ultimate Knight ウィンダムSV and put it out here. I really want a not Gundam PC game thats not Rise of the Incarnates.

It looks really good.

Astarte

Here I am still waiting for a dedicated little fangroup to make a Paper Cirno game, which I'd buy multiple physical copies of.

Ah well, I'll just see what my proxy can find I guess :v

I have been waiting for the usual edelweiss video, so this thread will come in handy. I will be going together with my girlfriend the first and the third day, since there's nothing that interests us on the second one. It's our first time ever, so any advices for comiket newbies?

Astery

nice thread, need moar videos

windom tries so hard to mimic gundam vs, now even the move sets, art style and UI style looks the same lol.

Saprol

that's a pretty shameless gundam game. i wonder if it's serviceable online unlike that touhou version of gundam next or w/e

Here I am still waiting for a dedicated little fangroup to make a Paper Cirno game, which I'd buy multiple physical copies of.

the fake GIF hurts the most

Wow that's gorgeous. I'll take anything that can fill the Paper Mario shaped hole in my heart.

Despera

Banned
The Japanese indie scene is a well of untapped potential, and now that western indie devs have solidified their position in the industry, I hope their Japanese counterparts follow suit. I'm talking games on the level of Cave Story, not a bunch of half baked shmups, gundam rip offs and moe/ecchi nonsense.

One thing to look forward to is the Branching Paths: A Journey in Japan's independent Game Scene documentary, which should be out next month.

The Japanese indie scene is a well of untapped potential, and now that western indie devs have solidified their position in the industry, I hope their Japanese counterparts follow suit. I'm talking games on the level of Cave Story, not a bunch of half baked shmups, gundam rip offs and moe/ecchi nonsense.

One thing to look forward to is the Branching Paths: A Journey in Japan's independent Game Scene documentary, which should be out next month.
Let's not demean Japanese doujin devs just because they're not trying to make games for a living (usually). Development's hard enough given the reward: most Comiket releases only reach a few thousand buyers, maybe, before trickling onto Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Of course many of these programmers/audiovisual people could be doing studio-independent game development, but switching careers (or breaking away from a game studio, starting your own, and being taken seriously all the while) isn't trivial.

That documentary could be good. Right now it has a tinge of Japonisme that puts me off, so I'll respect it more as a passion project by the director 'till it educates me greatly about the Japanese doujin/indie scene.

Man, there's barely anything there that caught my interest. Even PlatineDispositif's release (BeyondFallendom) is just an expansion pack. Wake me when Rosenkreuzstilette Liebessturm gets announced.

PantsuJo

Sadly the boom already happened and almost no one know it outside Japan. I remember 2007: Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Big Bang Beat, the latest Melty Blood (not 100% doujin at the time but still), Trouble Witches, Rosenkreuzstilette... every month had a godlike game, not anymore.
I played Akatsuki.
It's fucking awesome.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Still waiting for more crazy-as-shit STGs, Akashicverse came out how many years ago now, 3? 4?

Those developers have a new game called Akashicforce but it's not quite the followup you mighr be expecting.... I haven't watched the video in the OP yet, is it not there?

microfolk

Those developers have a new game called Akashicforce but it's not quite the followup you mighr be expecting.... I haven't watched the video in the OP yet, is it not there?

Yeah I knew about that. :( Still haven't seen the video though, I'll do it as soon as I get home.

Oh, most of the ones that interest me (aka, I might have a chance to play or I might be able to play without being able to read japanese) were mostly stuff I've seen before =X

SkyLens is still looking good though.

Also, what is the name of the game at 37:30? That looks pretty good, and I've never seen it before. The one at 53:20 looks interesting too.

Alas, no showing for that one crazy as hell stylish sword duel game that has been in the last several videos~

Extra Sorcerers has potential(has to be a more stylish aim for the center viewing window in line with the rest of the UI), same for Roguelike Dungeon and that Nonet Synpathia game that seems to be taking a stab of sort at "Tales of" outright.

That one shmup with the large...well, everything...also seemed interesting---I've not seen such tight corridor play since good old Dragon Spirit.

HGH

Banned
Alas, no showing for that one crazy as hell stylish sword duel game that has been in the last several videos~
Well yeah, it was released in C88.

Let's not demean Japanese doujin devs just because they're not trying to make games for a living (usually). Development's hard enough given the reward: most Comiket releases only reach a few thousand buyers, maybe, before trickling onto Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Of course many of these programmers/audiovisual people could be doing studio-independent game development, but switching careers (or breaking away from a game studio, starting your own, and being taken seriously all the while) isn't trivial.

That documentary could be good. Right now it has a tinge of Japonisme that puts me off, so I'll respect it more as a passion project by the director 'till it educates me greatly about the Japanese doujin/indie scene.
Something I don't really see discussed, but I don't think doujin is "indie" or "industry". In fact a couple people I've seen talk about the subject seemed offended at the confusion(at least, that's how it was in 2013, it might have changed since).
"Indie" seems to be interpreted as "making a game to profit from it". Doujin is seen as making something as a personal project, something you endeavor to make out of passion. You sell it once, to recoup costs or even at a loss, and that's it. You don't put it up for digital sales, you don't reprint it, and more often than not you move on and never make another game again. Heck, a lot of these are basically just "Baby's First Coding Project" sold for 3 or 5$ or so.

Of course, this is a bit of a generalization from what I've seen on roundtable discussions years back. Quite a few groups, like Aquastyle and so on, have been around for years now and are obviously in it for profit and have well established series and such, and the PlayDoujin initiative to start porting Touhou fangames to PS4 and Vita has been pretty successful and a good move forward in regards to "industry".

Anyway, I think people here have a tendency to take Comiket a bit too seriously. It's a melting pot for projects of all shapes and sizes and I think the idea of everyone having to step up just to match the West isn't really in the spirit of the event.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyway, I think people here have a tendency to take Comiket a bit too seriously. It's a melting pot for projects of all shapes and sizes and I think the idea of everyone having to step up just to match the West isn't really in the spirit of the event.

Yep.

Tain

Cyber Force (47 minutes) looks pretty neat. That Ghost9 Solid game... I still want to try the other GhostXX games?

lots of STGs too

Momentary

Banned
At around 1:00:00 Imarisu is shown. That game looks like Judgment Silversword on steroids. I'll be combing through this and updating the PC STG thread.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Who going.

Don't forget, increased security this year and they said they might do bag checks. Enjoy your lines :^)

microfolk

At around 1:00:00 Imarisu is shown. That game looks like Judgment Silversword on steroids. I'll be combing through this and updating the PC STG thread.

Imalice looks so neat, I sleeped upon the first demo but now I'm just waiting for the C89 one, I'm definitely hyped.

That one shmup with the large...well, everything...also seemed interesting---I've not seen such tight corridor play since good old Dragon Spirit.

I guess you're talking about Yakouga 6? Akiragoya's games are always.... interesting........ Even though half of their productions falls under the sister circle Artesneit that has a certain penchant for gross and juvenile erotic content.... But they are the only circle out there that makes STG with such an awesome gigeresque aesthetic, they are my problematic fave. ;_;

HGH

Banned
Imalice looks so neat, I sleeped upon the first demo but now I'm just waiting for the C89 one, I'm definitely hyped.

I guess you're talking about Yakouga 6? Akiragoya's games are always.... interesting........ Even though half of their productions falls under the sister circle Artesneit that has a certain penchant for gross and juvenile erotic content.... But they are the only circle out there that makes STG with such an awesome gigeresque aesthetic, they are my problematic fave. ;_;
Oh, are those the circle that made Galshell? That was a pretty horrifying game.

Nachos

Something I don't really see discussed, but I don't think doujin is "indie" or "industry". In fact a couple people I've seen talk about the subject seemed offended at the confusion(at least, that's how it was in 2013, it might have changed since).
"Indie" seems to be interpreted as "making a game to profit from it". Doujin is seen as making something as a personal project, something you endeavor to make out of passion. You sell it once, to recoup costs or even at a loss, and that's it. You don't put it up for digital sales, you don't reprint it, and more often than not you move on and never make another game again. Heck, a lot of these are basically just "Baby's First Coding Project" sold for 3 or 5$ or so.

Of course, this is a bit of a generalization from what I've seen on roundtable discussions years back. Quite a few groups, like Aquastyle and so on, have been around for years now and are obviously in it for profit and have well established series and such, and the PlayDoujin initiative to start porting Touhou fangames to PS4 and Vita has been pretty successful and a good move forward in regards to "industry".

Yeah, we really need an English term that's better analogous to the Japanese definition. I guess the best parallel would be to zine culture, as that's basically done with the exact same spirit and expectation of reaching only a handful of people, but I don't know if "zine game" would be the best descriptor, either.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, we really need an English term that's better analogous to the Japanese definition. I guess the best parallel would be to zine culture, as that's basically done with the exact same spirit and expectation of reaching only a handful of people, but I don't know if "zine game" would be the best descriptor, either.

Sounds funny anyway. Using this from now on!

Would it be similar to demoscene devs?

microfolk

Oh, are those the circle that made Galshell? That was a pretty horrifying game.

Yes! It's no coincidence that Yakouga 6 is so similar to Galshell 2. They made tons of game since Gallshell, mainly STGs (both hori and tate) and a couple of metroidvanias... Yakouga 4 is legitimately an awesome game, and I've read great things from the game they released on the C88, even though that one has a less gross aesthetic and turns it up a notch when talking about embarassing character design. :\

Like most of the time.

Great soundtrack and artwork, graphics that look like 2003 (if its a 3d title).

What I liked:

Battle Crust
That VR Game
Cherry Tree Boxing Simulator
Nonet Sympathia
Ghost9 Solid

Btw. why is Poison sound of drop in there? I mean that game came out half a year ago or so.

Top Bottom