• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

You still need to play that Mass Effect 3 MP. DAMP is just pretty good as of right now . It has potential to be a true successor to ME3 MP. I have faith the team will iron out the wrinkles and polish it into a great product.

Successor to ME3 MP is Warframe.

Guys seriously I've had Leliana doing some table mission for 8 hours and she still has 7 hours left. It's called "A friend in Qiarius". Also I can't start my specialization quest and I'm level 13 already. Is my game bugged?

Try changing the internal clock ahead and see if it helps. Might be a glitch but I haven't heard of any war table related glitches yet so it's new to me.

Specialization quest comes from completing a war table mission, you'll have to do that first, unfortunately I don't know the name of the mission so I can't help you there. But there will be a small cut scene after completing the mission where 3 agents arrive at the Skyhold, so you'll know when it's possible.

Hell. Yes.

You know how OP this will be on my Assassin Archer who already has Hidden Blades? Each hit from the Hidden Blades (5 hits) will have a 10% chance to cast Hidden Blades (5 hits) again for 100% weapon damage per each hit.

Farm those Red Templars at Emprise du Lion, people.

Oh, that's where you get them! I've been looking everywhere.

adj_noun

The game gives you so much power that you're never really barred from doing story quests, unless the main questline is the only one you want to do. Which is a fair complaint - that's definitely gating - but I don't think it's a big deal, and most importantly, you're never required to collect 10 ore or kill 10 goats to actually progress.

I kinda wish there was something for me to do with all this spare power at the endgame.

Maybe in a DLC or something.

Ushay

Wow, some of these DPS videos of Sera using Thousand Cuts are hilarious. The Focus ability is so broke.

Are these vids showing Nightmare difficulty. I struggled a bit to take down the first dragon at 14. Hopefully gameplay doesn't become trivial with the higher end gear..

TheExodu5

Banned
So my main character is now "naked" (in pyjamas) when I go to the war room. Resetting the game or PS4 doesn't help.

edit: oh wait...is that intended? Even Cassandra is in different armor.

Wow, some of these DPS videos of Sera using Thousand Cuts are hilarious. The Focus ability is so broke.

Are these vids showing Nightmare difficulty. I struggled a bit to take down the first dragon at 14. Hopefully gameplay doesn't become trivial with the higher end gear..

It doesn't really unless you're actively trying to find the most broken stuff. DAO was pretty much the same way if you look up videos for that.

Currently indecisive about my second playthrough - Dalish archer or Qunari 2-hander? Trying out the latter now and not enjoying it so much.

Yeah, my best character I created got stuck in the intro cutscene area :/ They really should have had some way to save your creations.

At least just give us an autosave right after character creation.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I wonder what I should do. I have two entire regions (emprise du lion and hissing wastes) left but I'm already level 19 and at the last story mission. Finish the game and restart on Nightmare where I might HAVE to do those regions for better weapons&armor or do them anyway and be hopelessly overpowered for the final story mission... mhmmmmm.

Hell. Yes.

You know how OP this will be on my Assassin Archer who already has Hidden Blades? Each hit from the Hidden Blades (5 hits) will have a 10% chance to cast Hidden Blades (5 hits) again for 100% weapon damage per each hit.

You wanna know OP?

One Fade-Touched gives one bar of Guard on every hit.

Put it on a mage's staff and it's brilliant.

Ralemont

not me
Currently indecisive about my second playthrough - Dalish archer or Qunari 2-hander? Trying out the latter now and not enjoying it so much.

I didn't enjoy 2H until I started using Block and Slash and functioning as an offtank. Seeing enemies fly after you counterattack is so satisfying...especially fighting near ledges and cliffs.

alterno69

Banned
I need help on a Fallow Mire quest

My party is still the same cast since the beginning, all level 8. In the Defeat the Avvar Leader quest, i get my ass handed to me by a huge dude immune to my attacks. Am i doing something wrong or am i supossed to come back to beat him later when i'm more powerfull?

Ralemont

not me
I wonder what I should do. I have two entire regions (emprise du lion and hissing wastes) left but I'm already level 19 and at the last story mission. Finish the game and restart on Nightmare where I might HAVE to do those regions for better weapons&armor or do them anyway and be hopelessly overpowered for the final story mission... mhmmmmm.

Skip the Wastes as there's nothing much to do there besides get loot across vast expanses of nothing (and there's a dragon). At least Harding had the decency to give you a heads up when you got here ("There's fucking nothing here Inquisitor, let's not waste our time and let Corpyfish have it).

The Emprise is a great zone, though. Good main quest, interesting side quests, a keep to capture, a small Grey Warden dungeon, and 3 dragons.

Einbroch

Banned
Hell. Yes.

You know what's even more OP?

Thousand Cuts + that + Flask of Fire.

100+ hits.

Dresden

A Qunari 2 hander is what I've been playing. Really enjoy it, much moreso than the rogue. All the different knockdown options trivialize many of the encounters early on, and grappling hook -> mighty blow is always satisfying against mages or archers. And you chop up Terrors like no one else. This was all on nightmare so difficulty isn't an issue, either.

Now he's a reaver and the damage output is pretty incredible.

Neoweee

I think Nightmare needs a few tweaks to be more challenging in the later game, and there are a few things on the shortlist of balance changes, namely:

- Knight Enchanter
- Guard on Hit
- The Herald's Focus Nuke
- Remove class restriction on armor
- A slight buff to two-handed warriors
- Buff some of the dumber perks.

I need help on a Fallow Mire quest

My party is still the same cast since the beginning, all level 8. In the Defeat the Avvar Leader quest, i get my ass handed to me by a huge dude immune to my attacks. Am i doing something wrong or am i supossed to come back to beat him later when i'm more powerfull?

What level is the enemy? He is probably something like Level 12, which is going to make things rougher.

Mire is already an 8~11 zone, with some parts 12~15. Tackling an enemy 4 levels higher, okay, but a boss? good luck.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can anyone help me out? I'm getting one-hit killed pretty much all the time, if not one hit then two hits. It's frustrating because it was never that bad. I seem to regenerate health when I'm killing enemies though but still not good enough :/ Anybody?

A Qunari 2 hander is what I've been playing. Really enjoy it, much moreso than the rogue. All the different knockdown options trivialize many of the encounters early on, and grappling hook -> mighty blow is always satisfying against mages or archers. And you chop up Terrors like no one else. This was all on nightmare so difficulty isn't an issue, either.

Now he's a reaver and the damage output is pretty incredible.

I guess maybe I need to have some patience. My last playthrough (dagger rogue) just felt more immediately rewarding.

Is it feasible to play a warrior in this game without shoehorning yourself as a tank? The only example I have to go on is Iron Bull who gets torn to shreds in seconds.

Uthred

The Inqusition Perks are wildly varying in their utility and "bang for your buck", to the point that I wonder why some were includeded at all. The "Get X crafting materials" ones dont even give you enough of said material to make something with them.

Eh, it goes deeper then that. The absence of meaningful substantive questing is what's the problem. Finding Iron Bull and immediately having him join the party would be okay, if there was some sort of story-based *thing* to do with him there.

But theres story based stuff for why he joined you so readily, beyond the fact he's a mercenary later. Most of the companions are like that. As for "meaningful" questing, nearly every mainline area quest is meaningful in that it ties into the larger narrative of the Inquisition and generally has solid effects upon the world. I guess I just dont get what you're talking about when you say "meaningful"

Ralemont

not me
Can anyone help me out? I'm getting one-hit killed pretty much all the time, if not one hit then two hits. It's frustrating because it was never that bad. I seem to regenerate health when I'm killing enemies though but still not good enough :/ Anybody?

Can you give some details? What class/spec are you? What level are you and what level are your enemies?

Ralemont

not me
Is it feasible to play a warrior in this game without shoehorning yourself as a tank? The only example I have to go on is Iron Bull who gets torn to shreds in seconds.

I don't know about Nightmare but on Hard I built a Reaver with guard-on-hit crafted stuff and Indomitable. Not bad keeping up guard with those things, and Devour is pretty sweet when low on health. You'll need another companion to be a warrior tank for sure though to keep a boss's attention off you.

The biggest letdown of the "chosen one" conceit in this game is that Thedas will perceive you as the Herald whether you're human, elf, dwarf, or qunari, which simply doesn't jive with the setting's deeply ingrained fantastic racism. No amount of propaganda, no matter how convincing, is going to convince thousands of Andrastrian soldiers to allow themselves to be led by a heathen qunari.

It seems odd, the focus on the chantry on Inquisition. It was ok as background noise and an occasional plot point in earlier Dragon Ages, but I would never have brought it front and center for the final game.

Is the chantry supposed to be a reflection of modern day organised religion and all its problems and fanciful beliefs? You get that sense a lot, but then why does it feel like the game wants me to go yes, I basically am Jesus. I guess maybe the end will reveal something, but whether I'm the chosen one or not, I'm probably going to be annoyed.

I would be more ok with the chantry stuff if I had the sense there was a strong voice and theme behind it all, but it just seems like a mish mash of religious stuff that doesn't really say anything or make any point.

Ralemont

not me
I'm 2 handed warrior and my spec will be reaver once I collect all the ingredients I guess. I'm level 20 against level 19 enemies.

Well like I told the other guy it's important to still be generating Guard even as a 2-hander. Try a bit more defensive playstyle with Block and Slash + Indomitable and craft a guard-on-hit weapon/armor.

I would be more ok with the chantry stuff if I had the sense there was a strong voice and theme behind it all, but it just seems like a mish mash of religious stuff that doesn't really say anything or make any point.

I disagree, I think the game's themes regarding the Chantry say a lot, particularly in the way it presents multiple ways for the Chantry to evolve going forward. Additionally, the game doesn't force you to believe you're Jesus, but it makes very clear that a lot of people will believe you are regardless of what you believe, which I think is a very interesting and true take on things.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Fuck, Iron Bull's loyalty quest was brutal. Was not ready for that. Spent a while slowly walking around Skyhold in a daze afterwards.

Dresden

I guess maybe I need to have some patience. My last playthrough (dagger rogue) just felt more immediately rewarding.

If you don't enjoy it early on, though, you may as well restart. Try speccing into Charging Bull and upgraded Mighty Blow, and go into combat roll after that.

And two of the three warrior specs work out fine for dps, so warriors don't always have to tank.

Well like I told the other guy it's important to still be generating Guard even as a 2-hander. Try a bit more defensive playstyle with Block and Slash + Indomitable and craft a guard-on-hit weapon/armor.

Different playstyles, but I think focusing on generating guard is a waste of time. It gets stripped off too fast until you can stac defensive passives from SnB's tree (turn the bolt and turn the steel works without a shield), and even then your armor and passive defence is what keeps you up. Charging Bull usually nets you a good half to full bar of guard, anyways, so that's a nice bonus from that.

Same for block and slash - if I have the stamina to parry I have the stamina to roll. Just a better fit for me, and not wasting more points into those means points that can go into stuff like Horn of Valor.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm playing Archer, but I almost feel like I need to go daggers. I keep finding really good daggers. Best bow I've found? 80dps. Daggers, I've found up to 208dps so far. No on to use em.

I'm playing Archer, but I almost feel like I need to go daggers. I keep finding really good daggers. Best bow I've found? 80dps. Daggers, I've found up to 208dps so far. No on to use em.
imOgAdBBjh8f.png

You need that Tier 3 Masterwork Bow schematic from the Hissing Wastes. Once you craft it with Dragon materials, a T3 grip and add a Superb Rune... that's the results you get.

TheExodu5

Banned
You need that Tier 3 Masterwork Bow schematic from the Hissing Wastes. Once you craft it with Dragon materials, a T3 grip and add a Superb Rune... that's the results you get.

Damn, that's nice. Still, given that I'm just after the Hinterlands (
mage quest line
), I feel like maybe I should spec to daggers for the time being to use these bad boys.

Dresden

To add to this: don't look at the dps, look at the weapon damage stat instead. Dagger dps is always sky high but considering that all the spells/skills go off weapon damage, it's not all that useful.

TheExodu5

Banned
To add to this: don't look at the dps, look at the weapon damage stat instead. Dagger dps is always sky high but considering that all the spells/skills go off weapon damage, it's not all that useful.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense. I was wondering why the hell a level 4 dagger was so strong.

Bessy67

Damn, that's nice. Still, given that I'm just after the Hinterlands (
mage quest line
), I feel like maybe I should spec to daggers for the time being to use these bad boys.
I haven't tried archer so I can't really say if one is better than the other, but I believe daggers have the highest DPS of any weapon group in the game. I'm on X1 so no screenshots, but here's a short clip showing the two daggers I'm currently using:

http://xboxclips.com/Bessy67/5e4cfbeb-6299-4846-9389-41062c3d21fb

Granted the demon slaying rune somewhat artificially inflates the DPS number, but still daggers are the way to go for DPS.

Geido

So I got to skyhold and thought I should see what all the godlike Vivienne KE talk was about... Damn. Beating level 18 enemies solo at level 12 while receiving absolutely no damage... Impressive.

The only drawback (other than making it too easy) is that the AI doesn't know how to do it and that it doesn't really work with the tactival view. Which means that my entire party will die except for her.

So I might just go back to Dorian, he's the better character anyway.

I absolutely love the game btw, just got my specialization. Can't wait to try out my dagger assassin.

Ralemont

not me
Charging Bull usually nets you a good half to full bar of guard, anyways, so that's a nice bonus from that.

Huh. Did not know that. I think once I saw Cassandra flying off cliffs like an idiot I assumed Charging Bull sucked. Also I don't know why I said Indomitable when I meant Unbowed, but if the charge's Guard generation works that well I can save a few ability points using it instead of going down the tree for Unbowed + upgrade.

Same for block and slash - if I have the stamina to parry I have the stamina to roll. Just a better fit for me, and not wasting more points into those means points that can go into stuff like Horn of Valor.

I don't even get Combat Roll honestly. I'd rather parry and counterattack, generating guard in the process and knocking down humanoid enemies and demons, then follow up with a Mighty Blow. But I'm sure both ways are viable.

But theres story based stuff for why he joined you so readily, beyond the fact he's a mercenary later. Most of the companions are like that. As for "meaningful" questing, nearly every mainline area quest is meaningful in that it ties into the larger narrative of the Inquisition and generally has solid effects upon the world. I guess I just dont get what you're talking about when you say "meaningful"

Well.

You and Dorian teleport one year into the future and get to talk to your party members about how horrible shit has been for the past year and also you get to rescue Leliana and she looks all fucked up and it's awful but she sacrifices herself to give you time to get back to the present and it's all emotional and meaningful and I feel like they pulled off something great. Sure, they obviously drew on other time travel stories like Yesterday's Enterprise and Days of Future Past, but I didn't mind. Shit was epic.

That's what I'm talking about. Running around all over picking up shards and planting banners and marking off little missions on the war table is not meaningful. I don't mind doing it some of the time, just as a sort of secondary activity, an accompaniment to the main questing, but in this campaign, it really feels like the vast majority of the content.

Just as an example, I was recently in the Exalted Marches and stumbled across a band of allied guards having this random fight with a large demon caster. So I run over to help and we finally kill the demon. And I go up to the guard leader and try to talk to him, see how they're doing and what was up with that demon they were fighting. But nope, nothing. No dialogue option anywhere. And I realized that I was so starved for meaningful dialogue interactions and story content that I was looking forward to talking to this random guard dude about the fight that had just happened. Maybe find out about what his unit was doing out here and whether I could get some quests from him. But nope, they just silently started patrolling around. And I went my way, off to go pick up some more shards marked on the map.

spekkeh

Banned
The game gives you so much power that you're never really barred from doing story quests, unless the main questline is the only one you want to do. Which is a fair complaint - that's definitely gating - but I don't think it's a big deal, and most importantly, you're never required to collect 10 ore or kill 10 goats to actually progress.
Uhm yeah I'm constantly barred from story quests. You probably like doing the MMO fetch quests. I fucking loathe having to grind power to go on with the main quest.
This game seriously goes from an eight to a six for me based on that shitty mechanic alone.
Horses for courses I guess.

Dresden

Huh. Did not know that. I think once I saw Cassandra flying off cliffs like an idiot I assumed Charging Bull sucked. Also I don't know why I said Indomitable when I meant Unbowed, but if the charge's Guard generation works that well I can save a few ability points using it instead of going down the tree for Unbowed + upgrade.

I don't even get Combat Roll honestly. I'd rather parry and counterattack, generating guard in the process and knocking down humanoid enemies and demons, then follow up with a Mighty Blow. But I'm sure both ways are viable.

Yeah, the AI is horrifying with CB. Gotta use it yourself.

I'm not into block and slash because the stuff you'd want to parry are never parried anyways. And that's two skill points that can go into giving me +50% defense against ranged attacks, or the 20% reduction for everything. But yeah, diff playstles for sure.

I <3 combat roll and I couldn't live without evade on the rogue, either. The battlemaster tree in general is super good so it never feels like a waste of points.

Uhm yeah I'm constantly barred from story quests. You probably like doing the MMO fetch quests. I fucking loathe having to grind power to go on with the main quest.
This game seriously goes from an eight to a six for me based on that shitty mechanic alone.
Horses for courses I guess.

I close rifts and do story shit, but w/e. Not like I'd disagree that the game is full of MMO tier stuff.

Arkanius

Well.

You and Dorian teleport one year into the future and get to talk to your party members about how horrible shit has been for the past year and also you get to rescue Leliana and she looks all fucked up and it's awful but she sacrifices herself to give you time to get back to the present and it's all emotional and meaningful and I feel like they pulled off something great. Sure, they obviously drew on other time travel stories like Yesterday's Enterprise and Days of Future Past, but I didn't mind. Shit was epic.

That's what I'm talking about. Running around all over picking up shards and planting banners and marking off little missions on the war table is not meaningful. I don't mind doing it some of the time, just as a sort of secondary activity, an accompaniment to the main questing, but in this campaign, it really feels like the vast majority of the content.

Just as an example, I was recently in the Exalted Marches and stumbled across a band of allied guards having this random fight with a large demon caster. So I run over to help and we finally kill the demon. And I go up to the guard leader and try to talk to him, see how they're doing and what was up with that demon they were fighting. But nope, nothing. No dialogue option anywhere. And I realized that I was so starved for meaningful dialogue interactions and story content that I was looking forward to talking to this random guard dude about the fight that had just happened. Maybe find out about what his unit was doing out here and whether I could get some quests from him. But nope, they just silently started patrolling around. And I went my way, off to go pick up some more shards marked on the map.

My exact problem with the game
In terms of narrated quests with a plot, there are basically none outside the Main plot.
The game suffers a lot. It's not even close to what Dragon Age Origins achieved in terms of questing.

The game is huge true, but it's 70% fetch quests and MMO quests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom