• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Trunks in DQ now, lol...

Cz2or_XUQAAgn3Y.jpg:large

Angelo from DQ8 looked far more like Trunks

uyVj6OZ.png

This art is shit, if the artist isn't going to even try, go animate for something else

Tate is an incredibly highly regarded animator and one of Toei's top talents. He has a specific style and whenever he supervises an episode he usually does most of the animation for his part of the episode himself and is also constantly working on episodes that aren't his. If Super lost Tate it'd be a lot worse off.
He has a specific style, just because it doesn't perfectly adhere to the character designs doesn't mean it's shit, it means the animator is putting their own identity into their work.

olympia

Wtf has 17 been up to?

At a minimum, being a park ranger, having a family. I'm sure we'll know more soon.

Tate is an incredibly highly regarded animator and one of Toei's top talents. He has a specific style and whenever he supervises an episode he usually does most of the animation for his part of the episode himself and is also constantly working on episodes that aren't his. If Super lost Tate it'd be a lot worse off.
He has a specific style, just because it doesn't perfectly adhere to the character designs doesn't mean it's shit, it means the animator is putting their own identity into their work.

preach

Zalman

The episode was alright, but now that we know this won't lead to a new arc or anything major I'm kind of indifferent about it. I wish the new arc would start sooner.

HeroR

The episode was alright, but now that we know this won't lead to a new arc or anything major I'm kind of indifferent about it. I wish the new arc would start sooner.

But the episode gave some information like what Hit can now do, Goku is the team captain and Beerus whats Whis to train Goku extra hard, and about a year past since the U6 tournament.

Tsunamo

That episode was fantastic. Goten not wanting to wear the saiyaman duds gave me a laugh, you could tell Gohan was sad about that.

That Hit segment was fantastic. I genuinely would just love a one off episode/OVA of Hit assassinating people, the tone was perfect.

Next episode looks rough. I guess Beerus is gonna save the day because he needs Goku for the Multiverse tournament. (though I am wondering how Goku is still standing after that)
And the animation looked rough, fingers crossed it looks better when the episode airs.

I don't think a year past since the Future Trunks Saga. Only that a year past since the Champa Saga and now. And giving Goku's feats against Merged Zamasu, I don't think Vegeta was stronger than Goku.

But it doesn't make sense, the Future Trunks saga and the Champa one are really close in timeframe. I remember Krillin telling Goku that Vegeta went to train with Whis a little while ago in episode 47.

Also Vegeta after his training beat to the ground the same Black that almost killed Goku in episode 61. He was stronger than Goku, he has to.

HeroR

But it doesn't make sense, the Future Trunks saga and the Champa one are really close in timeframe. I remember Krillin telling Goku that Vegeta went to train with Whis a little while ago in episode 47.

Also Vegeta after his training beat to the ground the same Black that almost killed Goku in episode 61. He was stronger than Goku, he has to.

A time period was never giving for when the Future Trunks Saga compared to the Champa Saga, unless you used the manga which looks like one happened after the other. And all that line tells is that Goku and Vegeta still trains under Whis. We had several episodes before 47 where Vegeta wasn't with Whis.

Giving that Goku by himself melted half of Merged Zamasu face without using the Kaioken whereas Vegeta and Trunks together didn't even burn his skin, I have doubts about Vegeta being stronger than Goku. Even the baseball game last episode had Goku pushed back Vegeta's pitch, which Vegeta admitted that he put everything into. Before then, Goku was doing just as well as Vegeta against Black's clone army, despite the clones landing hits on Vegeta.

It's
A
Different
Style

What part of Tate does his own thing don't you get? He has a specific style.

That's not going to mean anything to people who don't like it. It comes off as being bad art to me too. Knowing he's "doing his own thing" doesn't make me appreciate it more. In some ways it just makes it more obnoxious. If you like it, it's fine. I'm not trying to diss anyone for liking it.

olympia

And he should because it looks bad. Look how flat and ugly it is. And that is why a majority complain about it, it doesnt fit.

There's no evidence that "the majority" complain about it, there's just a bunch of vocal complainers.

The drawing is perfectly fine from a technical standpoint, especially when you consider it's likely a frame from an action sequence, so the comparison you drew between the largely still frame below is utterly unnecessary.

It's a style that has a functional purpose. Tate usually loosens his on-model adherence for the sake of incredible expressive and dynamic action. It's okay not to like it of course, but to to claim that he doesn't know what he's doing or that he doesn't show up because you don't personally like the drawing in one frame is utterly ludicrous.

Same here.

"Don't lie to me, Gohan."

Piccolo stays best Big Bro/Dad.

Precisely <3

Really digging the character stuff these past several episodes.

Man, it's just so good to me that Gohan had a Saiyaman 2 suit ready to go for Goten

HeroR

That's not going to mean anything to people who don't like it. It comes off as being bad art to me too. Knowing he's "doing his own thing" doesn't make me appreciate it more. In some ways it just makes it more obnoxious. If you like it, it's fine. I'm not trying to diss anyone for liking it.

There is a difference between 'bad art' and you simply not liking the art style. For example, people don't the art style of One Piece, yet it wouldn't be called bad art. The same with One Piece movie 6 where the word 'bad art' was used, where the movie is beautifully animated.

There is a difference between 'bad art' and you simply not liking the art style. For example, people don't the art style of One Piece, yet it wouldn't be called bad art. The same with One Piece movie 6 where the word 'bad art' was used, where the movie is beautifully animated.

It's my opinion that it's bad art.

HeroR

It's my opinion that it's bad art.

Bad art is not an opinion. It is something you can technically see and breakdown. Bad art is me drawing people or having a five years paint.

You saying you don't like something doesn't automatically make something bad art. It just means you don't like it.

Tate's style definitely lends itself worse to Dragon Ball than it does One Piece, though.

One Piece fans will disagree with you. I have seen more hate towards Tate on One Piece boards than I do for Dragon Ball stuff outside of people who will forever hold Episode 5 over his head.

Style

Banned
The real art/style related issue here is that the glossy hair and shading is back. I really liked the style they were going for with the Arale episode. :<

A time period was never giving for when the Future Trunks Saga compared to the Champa Saga, unless you used the manga which looks like one happened after the other. And all that line tells is that Goku and Vegeta still trains under Whis. We had several episodes before 47 where Vegeta wasn't with Whis.

Giving that Goku by himself melted half of Merged Zamasu face without using the Kaioken whereas Vegeta and Trunks together didn't even burn his skin, I have doubts about Vegeta being stronger than Goku. Even the baseball game last episode had Goku pushed back Vegeta's pitch, which Vegeta admitted that he put everything into. Before then, Goku was doing just as well as Vegeta against Black's clone army, despite the clones landing hits on Vegeta.

Exactly, Vegeta wasn't training with Whis before episode 47, so Krillin line confirms the time frame between episodes 46 and 47 is small since Vegeta never returned to train in episodes 42-46. Episode 43 also confirms it hasn't been that long since the tournament.

Goku being on par with Vegeta in the final battle is a plot hole then, Goku got stronger out of thin air.

Bad art is not an opinion. It is something you can technically see and breakdown. Bad art is me drawing people or having a five years paint.

You saying you don't like something doesn't automatically make something bad art. It just means you don't like it.

Yes it is an opinion, It's art. It's a style. I'm not saying it's not. THOSE aren't opinions. To me, it's bad art. Would you be saying the same thing if I said it was "good art"? What you're saying makes no sense.

Giving that Goku by himself melted half of Merged Zamasu face without using the Kaioken whereas Vegeta and Trunks together didn't even burn his skin, I have doubts about Vegeta being stronger than Goku.

Dunno why folk get hung up on this. Zamasu was exhausted after an intense energy battle with Vegeta and Trunks, had just taken a serious first hit, and Goku followed it up IMMEDIATELY with one of (if not the) strongest beam attack we know of. It would have been the same if done in reverse.

Vegeta was stronger than Goku after he trained in the time chamber and Goku's kamehameha getting through Zamasu's ball was complete bullshit.
Trunks and Vegeta overpowering Zamasu's ball thing beforehand was bullshit too, dude's a Vegito level fighter, the hell is he doing getting pushed back by Vegeta and Trunks.

fuck power levels, fuck saiyans, #TeamTien

Anth0ny

One Piece fans will disagree with you. I have seen more hate towards Tate on One Piece boards than I do for Dragon Ball stuff outside of people who will forever hold Episode 5 over his head.

we have tate to thank for literally one of the greatest moments in animated one piece history, if not the greatest

haters can fuck off

he hasn't yet had that moment in dragon ball, though, so I understand why people don't like his style for super

olympia

Well, the focus of the conversation here largely seems to be (ridiculously) calling into question Tate's competence as an animator, which can be objectively evaluated. But nobody who is disparaging his work is putting forth an convincing argument to support their claims, and, as usual, it's just complaints about his stylistic choices. Saying you don't like his style is fine, saying he should be off the show or that he should try harder is silly.

HeroR

Exactly, Vegeta wasn't training with Whis before episode 47, so Krillin line confirms the time frame between episodes 46 and 47 is small since Vegeta never returned to train in episodes 42-46. Episode 43 also confirms it hasn't been that long since the tournament.

Goku being on par with Vegeta is a plot hole then, Goku got stronger out of thin air.

All that means that Vegeta could have been training with Whis off and on, like what is going on now. They don't live with Whis and Beerus like they did during Resurrection 'F'. Also, a sizable period did go by. In Episode 42, Goku's farm was empty and Goku was still plowing. Episode 47, there is a full harvest. At the very least months past between Episodes 42 and 47. We also haven't seen Goku on his farm during these last episodes, suggesting that Goku isn't farming at the moment because it's off-season. Instead, he's doing stuff like taking a security job for part time pay.

That isn't a plot hole since the show never said Vegeta was stronger than Goku, unless you take Vegeta's statement at face value about him being superior to the original Goku and won't lost to Black, which you shouldn't since Vegeta is not known for being exactly truthful in such situations. That was only what fans suspected.

Yes it is an opinion, It's art. It's a style. I'm not saying it's not. THOSE aren't opinions. To me, it's bad art. Would you be saying the same thing if I said it was "good art"? What you're saying makes no sense.

No, it is an opinion, as anyone who went to art school will tell you. Bad art means that the art itself if technically wrong. Art is a science, despite what the media tries to tell you.

You not liking an art style doesn't make it bad art.

we have tate to thank for literally one of the greatest moments in animated one piece history, if not the greatest

haters can fuck off

he hasn't yet had that moment in dragon ball, though, so I understand why people don't like his style for super

Tate was part of the team who made Episode 66, you know the episode that fans hailed at the best animated episode in all of Dragon Ball.

No, it is an opinion, as anyone who went to art school will tell you. Bad art means that the art itself if technically wrong. Art is a science, despite what the media tries to tell you.

You not liking an art style doesn't make it bad art.

Maybe in a vacuum you can't call it bad art, but in the context of the standards that DBS adheres by, I don't think it's invalid to say that it is.

Well, the focus of the conversation here largely seems to be (ridiculously) calling into question Tate's competence as an animator, which can be objectively evaluated. But nobody who is disparaging his work is putting forth an convincing argument to support their claims, and, as usual, it's just complaints about his stylistic choices. Saying you don't like his style is fine, saying he should be off the show or that he should try harder is silly.

On the flipside, telling people not to call something bad art and by extension not have an opinion about a thing is just as bad. People don't need to go into a long detailed thesis as to why they don't like something because it's their opinion.

I don't like Tate's work in DB Super. It looks flat and goofy to me. The world continues to move regardless of how I feel. It'll be okay.

Edit: I think people are getting hooked on semantics here. Pretty much everything here stated is an opinion. Y'all are catching feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom