• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
Like, slightly varied alternate universe versions of them? Or are you thinking that frost callback might be hinting at something more direct?

Edit: not cooler, frost
Yeah maybe. Either that or from the same universe only revived and trained up. Would be awesome to see SSJG Raditz, Nappa, etc bent on revenge.

HardRojo

Holy shit I went to sleep and apparently the art discussion became fiercer than Vegeta's first fight against Black. I don't think anyone actually called Tate unskilled, but as it's been said several times, his style is not for everyone so of course some are going to think it's bad art and there's nothing wrong with that.

I want a direct feed version of that new arc teaser. February is so far away :(

Nephilim

Banned
didnt they say during that baseball episode that Hit was so hard to get in contact with?

apparently not

and I believe Vegeta was the one who contacted him to kill goku. Thats a new low for vegeta smh

Alienous

didnt they say during that baseball episode that Hit was so hard to get in contact with?

apparently not

and I believe Vegeta was the one who contacted him to kill goku. Thats a new low for vegeta smh

I thought the implication was it being Whis who ordered the hit, to challenge Goku.

HardRojo

I think I'm gonna get the Season Pass for XV2, having Cabba (please make this his official name), SSR Black and SSB Vegito will be amazing.

wildfire

Banned
Is this a style too

0I9itye.jpg

Feels like they are ripping off of Picasso.

Anyway I love the promo poster. Gave me chills.

HeroR

Holy shit I went to sleep and apparently the art discussion became fiercer than Vegeta's first fight against Black. I don't think anyone actually called Tate unskilled, but as it's been said several times, his style is not for everyone so of course some are going to think it's bad art and there's nothing wrong with that.

I want a direct feed version of that new arc teaser. February is so far away :(

Someone did call Tate unskilled, which what caused the entire thing.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Tate was part of the team who made Episode 66, you know the episode that fans hailed at the best animated episode in all of Dragon Ball.

Yeah I remember that episode, and there was one part I thought looked pretty fucking shitty. I remember it even taking me out of the episode since it looked so jarring

ZX3HIrP.jpg

dXBhK9K.jpg

These aren't just quick takes either, both of these camera angles hang on the screen long enough

I know in the second one at least he's conveying his arms being busted and the animation of him kicking does look very good. But those arms looked so stupid to me it was annoying

HeroR

Yeah I remember that episode, and there was one part I thought looked pretty fucking shitty. I remember it even taking me out of the episode since it looked so jarring

ZX3HIrP.jpg

dXBhK9K.jpg

These aren't just quick takes either, both of these camera angles hang on the screen long enough

I know in the second one at least he's conveying his arms being busted and the animation of him kicking does look very good. But those arms looked so stupid to me it was annoying

That wasn't Tate.

I hope we get a bunch of U6 fighter action in the multiversal tournament. Cabba has a really interesting character arc so far, and I'd like to see it pay off.

At the end of this we should have a hugely expanded DB universe that loads of stories can be told in going forwards - presumably exactly what SJ, Toei etc want.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think my problem with Tate is, while yes he's a good animator, he condenses details in his drawings a bit too much. He also favors a much more rounded face style that doesn't really mesh well with Super's established designs.

Anth0ny

I think my problem with Tate is, while yes he's a good animator, he condenses details in his drawings a bit too much. He also favors a much more rounded face style that doesn't really mesh well with Super's established designs.

This is pretty much what I feel.

The word I think people are looking for to describe their distaste with Tate, or any other "bad animator" is off-model. Kanzenshuu covers the entire concept very well here:

The purpose of the character model designs is to maintain continuity in an effort to make it look as if one artist created the animation.

Here's Hit's official design from Toriyama:

mksgo.png

Tadayoshi Yamamuro is the character designer for Dragon Ball Super. In most promotional materials for Super, you're looking at Yamamuro art. He was also a key animator for episode 39 of Super, where Hit looks like this:

dragon-ball-super-hitvzqtt.jpg

Yamamuro nails Toriyama's serious, hardened 90s DBZ style better than anyone else.

Tate goes an entirely different route with his art style. His shit is certainly off model, as Yamamuro provides said model.

Whether you like it or not is up to you. Personally, I prefer the Yamamuro style all day, every day.

This is pretty much what I feel.

The word I think people are looking for to describe their distaste with Tate, or any other "bad animator" is off-model. Kanzenshuu covers the entire concept very well here:

Here's Hit's official design from Toriyama:

mksgo.png

Tadayoshi Yamamuro is the character designer for Dragon Ball Super. In most promotional materials for Super, you're looking at Yamamuro art. He was also a key animator for episode 39 of Super, where Hit looks like this:

dragon-ball-super-hitvzqtt.jpg

Yamamuro nails Toriyama's serious, hardened 90s DBZ style better than anyone else.

Tate goes an entirely different route with his art style. His shit is certainly off model, as Yamamuro provides said model.

Whether you like it or not is up to you. Personally, I prefer the Yamamuro style all day, every day.

That frame of Hit does look very DBZ-like. I think its how defined the facial features are, looks like there's more depth to it whereas in Super - some of it tend to go for a "lighter style"

Obviously both series have some of each as inconsistency from different animators is going to happen.

It was cool to see how hit works and kills.

Next week looks like it's dropping in quality again though, it just looks rushed from the preview clip.

Skii

Man that episode was good. They managed to mix up the seriousness of Goku waiting his impending death to Hit with Gohan and Goten following Goku around town trying to figure out what's going on. Some great character interactions between everyone.

I just really hope this stuff is explained fairly well in the next episode. I know this is only supposed to be like a 2 episode thing but please don't fuck up the explanation and the final execution on a great premise.

I feel like this whole storyline could actually have an arc revolving around it or at least a good 10-15 episodes.

Was we supposed to get the preview to the new tournament arc today?

brinstar

Man that episode was good. They managed to mix up the seriousness of Goku waiting his impending death to Hit with Gohan and Goten following Goku around town trying to figure out what's going on. Some great character interactions between everyone.

I just really hope this stuff is explained fairly well in the next episode. I know this is only supposed to be like a 2 episode thing but please don't fuck up the explanation and the final execution on a great premise.

I feel like this whole storyline could actually have an arc revolving around it or at least a good 10-15 episodes.

Was we supposed to get the preview to the new tournament arc today?

Yeah I'm kind of bummed it's not a longer arc. The stuff with Hit in the city was cool and I would've been down with a lot more of that.

Watched the new Episode. pretty okay episode.

Cabba testified against Frost and Frost is now a fugitive. That's just begging for a revenge plot against the U6 saiyans.
Anyway. Nice to see Hit doing his job and that alien world. Guess they can only survive longer periods outside with those breathing masks? Pretty depressing world.
Hit had no trouble though. Also seemed to have improved his time skip abilities again.

Hit should've bought a flower. They were only 1 gil. :(

The random flower girl design was pretty cute. With how barren things seemed in the city. I guess not much nature can live outside for long.

Bra does appear in Super

Skeeter49

Obviously not happening with the NEP, but this would have been a great idea if this was all a set up by Whis to get everybody training for the universal tournament, obviously shitty for Goku if he agreed with it, but it wouldn't have been the worse thing Goku's done. Honestly it felt like that for the first half of the episode.

With how Beerus was acting in this episode, I think it's safe to assume he's going to want everybody trained to some degree for the tournament. Wonder what Beerus reaction will be with someone like Roshi in the tournament.

I loved getting a glimpse into U6 like that. I wish we could have had arcs showing things of that nature in different universes before the tourney started. I don't really think only 1 universe will survive from the upcoming arc so there's still a chance they could.

Skeeter49

I think a few universes will be lost, but not all of them. I'd assume if someone interrupts the tournament, they'll spend time in their universe looking for them.

Zalman

There's no way they're destroying all the universes next arc. They'll find some way to restore everything at the end.

What I want to know was how the hell did Hit make it to universe 7, wasn't a big thing in the tournament arc that he wanted that Universe transporter thing Champa had

Skeeter49

The thing that bothered me the most this episode was that Goku still doesn't understand Piccolo doesn't eat food.

He told Piccolo to hurry up and get some food before he eats it all :(

Zolo

There's no way they're destroying all the universes next arc. They'll find some way to restore everything at the end.

Might be nothing, but with the title of the next opening being "Gentaki Toppa x Survivor" as well as previewing this arc months in advance, I do think the next arc will be pretty lengthy in comparison to the previous ones.

The thing that bothered me the most this episode was that Goku still doesn't understand Piccolo doesn't eat food.

He told Piccolo to hurry up and get some food before he eats it all :(
0a5ce6eec94197206b3b858ef25b43ac.jpg

HardRojo

I've been rewatching the whole Hit scene in that U6 planet several times. Man, I think I could totally watch a miniseries about Hit.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man, Hit could basically just kill all the Z fighters and leave the universe completely vulnerable.

How is anyone gonna compete with that time freeze

I hope that there are some people in the other universes that are even more threatening than him.

Zolo

I've been rewatching the whole Hit scene in that U6 planet several times. Man, I think I could totally watch a miniseries about Hit.

I think they're testing the grounds with the Yamcha spinoff manga for grounds for a more expanded universe, so hey! Maybe!

Well actually, it seems like anyone affected by Hit's time freeze can still move around and fight him off if they're strong enough.

jax

Banned
My guess is Hit is hired by Beerus and Whis to train Goku, cause of the whole when Goku dies he gets stronger thing.

HardRojo

The direction of those scenes was really quite good.
Honestly, I really hope we got to see more planets with that vibe later in the series. There are 12 whole universes to explore for god's sake!
I think they're testing the grounds with the Yamcha spinoff manga for grounds for a more expanded universe, so hey! Maybe!
It'd be really funny and great if the Yamcha manga became something bigger lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom