• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Maybe in a vacuum you can't call it bad art, but in the context of the standards that DBS adheres by, I don't think it's invalid to say that it is.

It isn't about context, especially when Super have several different artists with their own art styles. It isn't like the manga where just one person draws everything.

And it isn't bad art because bad art is something that is technically wrong with the art. How do you think art students are graded if bad art can be as subjective as you seem to believe.

olympia

On the flipside, telling people not to call something bad art and by extension not have an opinion about a thing is just as bad. People don't need to go into a long detailed thesis as to why they don't like something because it's their opinion.

Nobody is asking for a thesis. I'd just personally like a critique a tad more constructive than this:

This art is shit, if the artist isn't going to even try, go animate for something else

Nobody is asking for a thesis. They are just asking for a critique a bit more constructive than this:
That's on the poster to do so. Again, you are demanding a person explain themselves when they don't have to. Nothing in the rule set of NeoGAF states you must defend your opinion. It simply is just an opinion. Like deal with it and move on with your lives.

olympia

That's on the poster to do so. Again, you are demanding a person explain themselves when they don't have to. Nothing in the rule set of NeoGAF states you must defend your opinion. It simply is just an opinion. Like deal with it and move on with your lives.

Um.

This is a discussion forum. If you are going to commit your opinion to a discussion board you'd better be ready to, uh, discuss it. They don't have to explain themselves, but that doesn't shield their silly opinion from criticism.

I'm just going to drop this now because this is literally going nowhere

It isn't about context, especially when Super have several different artists with their own art styles. It isn't like the manga where just one person draws everything.

And it isn't bad art because bad art is something that is technically wrong with the art. How do you think art students are graded if bad art can be as subjective as you seem to believe.

I think it is "technically bad" when it comes to the kind of styles I think fits DBS and looks good for the show. It may not be technically bad on its own, but when it comes to being right for DBS, I think that it is. And that's what I'm saying.

HeroR

Nobody is asking for a thesis. I'd just personally like a critique a tad more constructive than this:

I personally don't like the term 'bad art' thrown around as an opinion since I went to art school for several years and one of the first things you learn is the science of being an artist. Bad art or terrible art is something you can breakdown on a technical level from colors, line work, details, and so much more. It isn't subjective.

It's the same pet peeve I have when people misused literature terms when they don't like a plot device.

I think it is "technically bad" when it comes to the kind of styles I think fits DBS and looks good for the show. It may not be technically bad on its own, but when it comes to being right for DBS, I think that it is. And that's what I'm saying.

It isn't 'technically bad' even if you think it doesn't fit the style of the show, which is silly since the show have several different artists that bring their own style. Some just stand out more than others.

Just say, I don't like Tate's style. Because calling it bad art is just wrong for the reasons I named above.

Um.

This is a discussion forum. If you are going to commit your opinion to a discussion board you'd better be ready to, uh, discuss it.

I'm just going to drop this now because this is literally going nowhere

You should, because what you are asking is esstentially policing the forum. Thanks but it's not necessary.

It isn't 'technically bad' even if you think it doesn't fit the style of the show, which is silly since the show have several different artists that bring their own style. Some just stand out more than others.

Just say, I don't like Tate's style. Because calling it bad art is just wrong for the reasons I named above.

You make the claim context doesn't matter, and it's false. You're taking my comment as if I'm saying it's bad art overall. I clarified that I'm not calling it bad art in a broad sense. I just think it's bad when it comes to what I think lends itself well to DBS.

The fact that they're several different artists with their own style for DBS doesn't help your point or hurt mine. I think many of their styles do work well for DBS.

Guy just wants other guy to elaborate and defend his point. On a forum. Where things get discussed. Bless.

Other guy doesn't have to. First guy should just get over it and move on as life does.

It's an opinion my dudes. Tate will work regardless of what I or others say.

tearsofash

Other guy doesn't have to. First guy should just get over it and move on as life does.

It's an opinion my dudes. Tate will work regardless of what I or others say.

nobody has to do anything they don't want to do.

but imagine how fucking boring a forum would be if everyone just made driveby posts and nobody discussed anything. It would be pretty edgy, but ultimately pretty boring. Kind of like the funi dub of the trunks special.

but imagine how fucking boring a forum would be if everyone just made driveby posts and nobody discussed anything. It would be pretty edgy, but ultimately pretty boring. Kind of like the funi dub of the trunks special.

It's like that, right now, on NeoGAF. But it's not policied for the same reason that I stated: it's dumb and people at some level are only going to write or say so much. There are people who choose to go more in-depth, and people who don't.

Like, I'm going to go only as far as to say Tate's work just looks weird to me and sorta goofy compared to the recent episode based on the preview. People can either go that far and engage me, or ignore me. And I can choose to ignore them.

It's an opinion, you know what I mean? Like, it doesn't matter all that much coming from anyone.

Unlike Vegeta being a jobber. That's a real fact.

Not doing this for the sake of calling her out, but what's the difference from olympia's comment about her opinion the the matter?

Lol @ the Tate hate from the NEP. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's far from bad.

A lot of people just get upset because it's a negative opinion they don't like. I never see this kind of argument start because people are posting unexplained positive comments.

The only thing I say is don't be inflammatory or obscene about stating your opinions and there should be no issue in a situation like this.

Well good thing it's not like that. There is plenty real of discussion that goes on in here regardless.

olympia

Not doing this for the sake of calling her out, but what's the difference from olympia's comment about her opinion the the matter?

But...I did elaborate on my opinion about Tate and responded to people who disagreed with me. If the conversation about the animation stopped there, I would have probably not said anything further, but the discussion continued.

e: My point is that I wouldn't have bothered sharing a viewpoint if I was just going to deflect with "uh, well....that's just like...my opinion..."

This is getting kind of off-topic. That's all I'm gonna say, I guess.

Crocodile

I'm usually the first to defend off-model characters for the sake of stylilization or increased animation fluidity. I've liked the Tate cuts I can recall from One Piece. So its clear the man is talented. All that being said I would be lying if I said I liked what I saw from the NEP. This isn't a subject I'm ignorant about but that still didn't look great. Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until I actually watch next week's episode though :p

As for this week, I liked it a lot. Got a chance to explore some settings you often don't in Dragon Ball and the episode had a good atmosphere to it. I'm curious how Goku knew he was on a hit list since the beginning and who took out the hit (though I'm on the "Beerus did it to train Goku" hypothesis). I would have liked it if the NEP at least pretended he was dead or at least make it ambiguous though rather than throw out the farce immediately. The NEP feels a bit like whiplash coming off the end of that episode even if we all know in out heats of hearts Goku isn't dead.

One more thing: I'm kind of disappointed we are heading into the multiverse tournament already. I would have liked to take some time exploring some of the other universe first like Universe 6. If universes are actually destroyed that sucks since that really contracts the world and lore than BotG sought to expand and if the universe aren't in any danger that undercuts a bit of the tension (and I say this even knowing the Dragon Balls are always a fix-all). It's a it of a weird position to be in but I guess we will see how the arc pans out. Cool to hear it will get a new OP though.

Akiller

e1a14948a2.png

You have been visited by the rare cool Goten
You 'll always feel like a child and your look will never change.

But only if you answer "Grown up Goten,please!"

But...I did elaborate on my opinion about Tate and responded to people who disagreed with me.

Not initially you didn't. Was it wrong that you came out posting your opinion on his art without backing it up with your own in-depth analysis? No, I don't think it is. Someone could have responded to you with the same criticism in that situation, though.

olympia

I'm usually the first to defend off-model characters for the sake of stylilization or increased animation fluidity. I've liked the Tate cuts I can recall from One Piece. So its clear the man is talented. All that being said I would be lying if I said I liked what I saw from the NEP. This isn't a subject I'm ignorant about but that still didn't look great. Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until I actually watch next week's episode though :p

I get that, man. It's not unreasonable to dislike his work or think that it's ugly. It's just unreasonable to suggest that he's unskilled.

e1a14948a2.png

Grown up, Goten, please.

Dude, where the fuck is Sanji? This should be used to summon him.

Style

Banned
e1a14948a2.png

You know what's funny... I had an idea for exactly the same kind of post using that Goten image, slightly before you posted this, but I chose to just sit back and let them fight out their art discussion. o|-<

HeroR

You make the claim context doesn't matter, and it's false. You're taking my comment as if I'm saying it's bad art overall. I clarified that I'm not calling it bad art in a broad sense. I just think it's bad when it comes to what I think lends itself well to DBS.

The fact that they're several different artists with their own style for DBS doesn't help your point or hurt mine. I think many of their styles do work well for DBS.

Context doesn't matter with 'bad art'. You can think the art doesn't match DBS, but it still doesn't make it bad art, especially in a show that really doesn't have one art style to begin with.

Context doesn't matter with 'bad art'. You can think the art doesn't match DBS, but it still doesn't make it bad art, especially in a show that really doesn't have one art style to begin with.

You're repeating the same thing without really even addressing my point. Again, I'm saying I think it's bad for DBS. Not that it's necessarily bad art.

HeroR

I think that's definitely just Beerus coming down to stop Hit.

Why would Beerus step in, especially since Goku won't let him. Goku will tell Beerus the same thing he told his friends when he fought Piccolo at the 23rd tournament. 'This is my fight, stay out of it'. Especially since Beerus already denied Goku his fight to the death with Hit at the tournament.

You're repeating the same thing without really even addressing my point. Again, I'm saying I think it's bad for DBS. Not that it's necessarily bad art.

Mu point is that Super doesn't really have a constant art style since several animators work on the show and they're not trying to copy a manga like they did with Dragon Ball or Z. So saying Tate's style doesn't fit Super is a matter of opinion on a show that doesn't have one style.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. Could this be a new Hakaishin? Seems to be an unusual way to draw Beerus. Could be nothing.

Tate will draw Beerus like this from time to time.

Why would Beerus step in, especially since Goku won't let him. Goku will tell Beerus the same thing he told his friends when he fought Piccolo at the 23rd tournament. 'This is my fight, stay out of it'. Especially since Beerus already denied Goku his fight to the death with Hit at the tournament.

Because Goku is his star fighter for the tournament.

HeroR

Tate will draw Beerus like this from time to time.

Because Goku is his star fighter for the tournament.

And Goku will tell him to get lost, destruction of the Earth be damn. Plus, Beerus is not going to baby Goku since he was just fine sitting back and letting Goku and Black duke it out.

Real Hero

And Goku will tell him to get lost, destruction of the Earth be damn. Plus, Beerus is not going to baby Goku since he was just fine sitting back and letting Goku and Black duke it out.

Well we will see. But it's going to be Beerus stopping Hit after it is revealed Whis got him hired to train Goku. He dodged Bulma without thinking which is what Whis is training him to do.

Mu point is that Super doesn't really have a constant art style since several animators work on the show and they're not trying to copy a manga like they did with Dragon Ball or Z. So saying Tate's style doesn't fit Super is a matter of opinion on a show that doesn't have one style.

And as I also said before, there being different artists with their own style doesn't help your point, nor does it hurt mine. I think a lot of the different artists' styles fit DBS and the characters well. They have styles that are pleasing to look at in the context of DBS.

Needless to say, I think Tate's style is not pleasing, and is just a bad art fit for DBS.

HeroR

Well we will see. But it's going to be Beerus stopping Hit after it is revealed Whis got him hired to train Goku. He dodged Bulma without thinking which is what Whis is training him to do.

I can see Beerus trying to interfere and then Goku saying, 'No, this fight is just getting started'. Beerus will get mad, but Whis will most likely stop him and tell Beerus to chill and watched the rest of the fight. Whis had no problem risking Goku's health and safety for the sake of training.

I don't necessary think Whis hired Hit since why would he need Vados as a a middle man. He could probably find Hit himself using his staff. But I wouldn't be surprise if that's the case.

And as I also said before, there being different artists with their own style doesn't help your point, nor does it hurt mine. I think a lot of the different artists' styles fit DBS and the characters well. They have styles that are pleasing to look at in the context of DBS.

Needless to say, I think Tate's style is not pleasing, and is just a bad art fit for DBS.

In the context of Super is both vague and opinion base. What exact is the context of Super animation-wise.

In the context of Super is both vague and opinion base. What exact is the context of Super animation-wise.

What is the context? We know the characters, how they generally look, and the specifics of how we prefer them to look among the different styles. DBS may have different artists with their own flare, but many of them are pleasing to me, regardless of the differences. Tate's style is not pleasing to me, so I think his art is bad for the characters in DBS.

Zoon

Having everyone believe that Goku is dead is a good way of motivating them to train hard. It'll be great if he stays 'dead' for a while.

Zoon

Don't watch the next episode preview lmao
I've watched it. I meant to say that I'd like it to be kept a secret so others can become stronger. Tell Vegeta that someone killed Goku with one punch and he is coming after him, and the others basically have to defend the Earth with both Goku and Vegeta absent.

HeroR

What is the context? We know the characters, how they generally look, and the specifics of how we prefer them to look among the different styles. DBS may have different artists with their own flare, but many of them are pleasing to me, regardless of the differences. Tate's style is not pleasing to me, so I think his art is bad for the characters in DBS.

Even then the context makes no sense because look how Dragon Ball look when it started and look where it went when it ended. The two styles are barely the same.

Zolo

I for one, cannot wait to spend another half of a year of people complaining about the movie arcs. Super should have been an hour block instead of being followed by Buu Kai.

At least maybe Buu Kai will end by the time they get to the original material.

Even then the context makes no sense because look how Dragon Ball look when it started and look where it went when it ended. The two styles are barely the same.

Not sure how the art style difference between early DB and late DB affects my point.

HeroR

I for one, cannot wait to spend another half of a year of people complaining about the movie arcs. Super should have been an hour block instead of being followed by Buu Kai.

The movies will be far less fresh for a casual watcher since Battle of Gods came out in late 2014 here in the states and Resurrection 'F' will be over a year old by the time it aires, compared to when Super aired when Resurrection 'F' wasn't even a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom