• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Huh the latest XV2 patch changed some of the names, it's just SSJ blue and Rosé goku black now.

So what's even the point of an English version now?

I watched the movies, not Super. I've only started Super with the Universal Survival Saga.

If nothing else, watch

- Piccolo Vs. Frost
- Vegeta Vs. Magetta
- Goku Vs. Hit
- Baseball
- Energy scythe​

You owe it to yourself. You owe it to me.

HeroR

Rewatched G. Black saga... it's been pretty boring. I think it was the nostalgia factor of a new story with Trunks that propped it up on first watch.

The Good:
-The scenes giving more background on the extended lore on universes and kais are cool
-Goku Black is cool, SSJ Rose is cool
-Future Trunks returning, in concept, is sweet. Scenes with Vege, Kid Trunks were good
-The destroyed future setting is cool
-The voice actors performance, SSJ Rose in particular
-The ending scene with Giygas Zamasu

Essentially: The outline of the story is great

The Bad:
-Zamasu's motivations are barely fleshed out, and kind of stupid tbh
-Arc is short but drawn out. Multiple trips back and forth between the same 3 settings over 30 episodes
-The dizzying time travel shenanigans
-SSJ Blue Vegito's execution. Pretty much pointless in the grand scheme of things.
-Lot of unexplained, unsatisfying stuff. SSJ Rage, Spirit bomb sword, etc (Remember the weeks of build up to SSJ R?)
-Zen-oh button with the universe erase, then Whis sending Trunks back. Ending in general was just stupid, fast, unsatisfying, ruined the whole story of the arc IMO.

Essentially: The execution of the concept was bad. Some parts were too much, some not enough, making it so overall it was fairly mediocre.

I'm still glad for it, but watching it as the episodes came out was way better. Watching it back to back made the flaws really noticeable.

Can't say I agree:

Zamasu gave his reasons for his motives and a lot of time was devoted to them. It also shows what a hypocrite he was.

Only the future was in the same place and even that moved across the city.

I had no problem following the time travel aspect and liked how it was done.

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegito was the reason why Merged Zamasu was weak enough for Trunks to take out.

Super Saiyan Rose was more less explained as his God form by the way he talked about. Super Saiyan Rage really didn't big explaination since was transformation of anger like Super Saiyan 1 and 2.

The ending was the part of the arc.

It had its flaws, but wasn't badly executed. And it was miles better than Android/Cell Saga, although that's not saying much since that Saga to me is an example of bad execution.

NandoGip

DAxcmbmVoAAiwa5

The scene was dope, don't get me wrong. Storywise it didn't make sense, and ultimately served no purpose because Zen-oh had to erase Zamasu anyways. You can make an argument that the sword not killing Zamasu was better for the story, but IMO it didn't feel that way for me

The whole 'powered by guts' "trope" doesn't really depend on it making sense though, because it most cases it doesn't. It's what makes these 'Brave' type anime what they are.
You could say it feels out of place in DB, but it's seriously not that different from "rage boosts"
I mean look at this fight.
At the start of the clip he's pretty much beaten and outclassed in every way, but then his "determination", in this case 'courage', pretty much draws power from nowhere and makes him stupidly more powerful

It's essentially the same thing as trunks vs zamasu, cept trunks' determination ran so deep he unconciously, perhaps even desperately started drawing power from "hope", in this case genki energy.

Personlly I think it's fucking awesome.

L Thammy

Wait...trunks future was erased by zeno, right?

Where did whis send him then?

Geez, it ended not too long ago, but I can't remember...

Another timeline branching off of Future Trunks', but where Zamasu was dealt with. So he's hanging out with his best buddy Slightly Different Future Trunks.

HeroR

The whole 'powered by guts' "trope" doesn't really depend on it making sense though, because it most cases it doesn't. It's what makes these 'Brave' type anime what they are.
You could say it feels out of place in DB, but it's seriously not that different from "rage boosts"
I mean look at this fight.
At the start of the clip he's pretty much beaten and outclassed in every way, but then his "determination", in this case 'courage', pretty much draws power from nowhere and makes him stupidly more powerful

It's essentially the same thing as trunks vs zamasu, cept trunks' determination ran so deep he unconciously, perhaps even desperately started drawing power from "hope", in this case genki energy.

Personlly I think it's fucking awesome.

Love the symbol of the Spirit Bomb. I do agree that it not being explain was terrible and comes off as a Toei movie AssPull. But since Zamasu came back and murdered anyone despite the power of hope, I can somewhat forgive it.

L Thammy

The Spirit Sword coming out of nowhere is dumb, but it not really working is a very Dragonball thing. The series has always loved to hype up failing attempts.

Piccolo preparing the special beam cannon? Awesomely powerful move, but Raditz dodged it the first time.

Goku using the Kaioken and Spirit Bomb on Vegeta? Goku burned through his stamina and got his ass beat before he could throw the Spirit Bomb.

Goku using the Super Spirit Bomb on Freeza? Probably one of the most impressive moves ever seen in the series, totally destroyed the environment... but Freeza got up after and went straight to killing Krillin.

That's why I like the Goku Black saga. It's the first time Super's felt like it's really back in Z territory because of tension-building stuff like that.

Turin

Banned
I watched the movies, not Super. I've only started Super with the Universal Survival Saga.

I take it bringing back a lot of the cast is what brought you on board?

I was only passively watching the show, skipping a lot, before the current arc.

HeroR

It's fine if you disagree.

I didn't mean they didn't completely explain things, it's that the explanations were paper-thin or just not good, in my opinion.

I don't get how the explaination were paper-thin. Especially compared to other stuff in the series.

The only thing I liked about the Trunks arc was Trunks being the main character.

You're just mad that Gohan didn't do crap :p

I loved Zamasu because he's the only character in the franchise who started out on the same side as the good guys and then became a villain, instead of the reverse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't get how the explaination were paper-thin. Especially compared to other stuff in the series.

You're just mad that Gohan didn't do crap :p

Nah, Nando's points are pretty much why I disliked it. Decent concepts, awful execution.

Slaythe

I loved Zamasu because he's the only character in the franchise who started out on the same side as the good guys and then became a villain, instead of the contrary.

That was poorly done too TBH.

He was obnoxious and patronizing the very first second we saw him.

So it really didn't come off as a surprise, and he hadn't done anything as a good guy so it was kind of a waste.

Astral Dog

I loved Zamasu because he's the only character in the franchise who started out on the same side as the good guys and then became a villain, instead of the contrary.
He didn't started on the Z good guy team though,he was supposed to be neutral and pretty much was a rotten apple

NandoGip

Well, brief storytelling can be okay, but for stuff like Zamasu's motivations, it could have been done better. I mean yeah, he hated ningens because they kill and whatever, so he wanted to deal this twisted form of justice.

That sounds great in concept, there are a shit load of villains in other stories with the same motivation. The way they did it was lame since immediately you saw through it, and the catalyst for him turning evil was the most "paper-thin" aspect about it.

The story didn't give off the sense he was teetering on the edge. It feels like they threw it in your face, rather than show it little by little.

It would have been better if they made the viewers invest and believe in Zamasu somehow, so that once he started to show signs of wanting to kill ningens and Gowasu, it'd have more of an impact

To me it was so obvious he was G. Black but the mystery aspect made you think big twists were coming. When the twist was the multiple timeline mumbo-jumbo, it kind of fell flat.

That was poorly done too TBH.

He was obnoxious and patronizing the very first second we saw him.

So it really didn't come off as a surprise, and he hadn't done anything as a good guy so it was kind of a waste.

He didn't started on the Z good guy team though,he was supposed to be neutral and pretty much was a rotten apple

Still a unique character in the entire franchise. All the other villains started as villains and either die or become good guys.

HeroR

Well, brief storytelling can be okay, but for stuff like Zamasu's motivations, it could have been done better. I mean yeah, he hated ningens because they kill and whatever, so he wanted to deal this twisted form of justice.

That sounds great in concept, there are a shit load of villains in other stories with the same motivation. The way they did it was lame since immediately you saw through it, and the catalyst for him turning evil was the most "paper-thin" aspect about it.

The story didn't give off the sense he was teetering on the edge. It feels like they threw it in your face, rather than show it little by little.

It would have been better if they made the viewers invest and believe in Zamasu somehow, so that once he started to show signs of wanting to kill ningens and Gowasu, it'd have more of an impact

To me it was so obvious he was G. Black but the mystery aspect made you think big twists were coming. When the twist was the multiple timeline mumbo-jumbo, it kind of fell flat.

It wasn't just about them killing. It was them misusing the gifts of the gods, for example Frieza, Babidi, Dr. Gero. I wouldn't call it lame since he was like Light from Death Note. Starts out with well intentions and jumped off the edge before the first episode ended.

Zamasu was also unstable like Light. All he needed was a little push to utterly ruin him. I don't think the story needed for us to invest in Zamasu being right since we have seen for ourselves mortals abusing their power. And again, Death Note didn't do much to make us root for Light after his few murders.

Don't really agree, but I can see why you feel that way. Also, the mystery was how it happened. The show itself never tried to hide Black was connected to Zamasu as either a partner or a golem.

Still a unique character in the entire franchise. All the other villains started as villains and either die or become good guys.

I think it's Zamasu having more motive than "I'm evil!".

Astral Dog

I agree that his motivations could have been handled better but what you are describing is not Dragon Ball at all,this is really Zamasu .

L Thammy

I think it's Zamasu having more motive than "I'm evil!".

Hey, that's not fair. Some Dragonball villains have realistic motivations.

Taopaipai -> Money
Freeza -> Money (also racism)
Commander Red -> Napoleon complex
Android 17 -> Bored​

I'm pretty sure people like that exist in real life.

HeroR

Hey, that's not fair. Some Dragonball villains have realistic motivations.

Taopaipai -> Money
Freeza -> Money (also racism)
Commander Red -> Napoleon complex
Android 17 -> Bored​

I'm pretty sure people like that exist in real life.

Frieza called himself the Emperor of Evil and 17 was never really a villain, unless you mean Future 17.

I'll give you the other through.

caliph95

I mean i have to check have present 17 and 18 ever killed anyone? besides gero who i think kidnapped them and was going to enslave them

I mean i have to check have present 17 and 18 ever killed anyone? besides gero who i think kidnapped them and was going to enslave them

They used to be criminals and 17 carried a gun around, I doubt he somehow managed to never use it.

If I recall correctly they caused a bunch of car crashes too but I don't know if the drivers survived.

Loved the Future Trunks arc, though it did feel rushed at times and the conclusion didn't really have any events that lead into the next arc besides getting another Xeno. I wish it lasted longer.

Here is how I would book the arc

- An extra episode or two showing us what Future Trunks has been up to since Cell. I wanted to see his version of the Buu Saga and his first encounter with Black to build him up a bit more

- More locations besides Bulmas backyard and future backyard

- I loved Zamas & Black but I would have loved if they were just the start of a longer arc

- Black being Zamas. I was hoping that he was a Maikoshin because him being Zamas the entire time was some kind of "It was me Austin" storytelling and the Dark Realm would have been more interesting than Zamas watching GodTube and getting a hard on for Goku

- Ending made no sense. Like why the hell would Trunks just not stay with Mai especially after the fact that their timeline was erased and there are now DOUBLES of them

Other than that it was great. Black was the best villain since Frieza, Trunks was great, Vegeto etc.

caliph95

They used to be criminals and 17 carried a gun around, I doubt he somehow managed to never use it.

If I recall correctly they caused a bunch of car crashes too but I don't know if the drivers survived.

Gun means nothing since you can use it to scare people off or in self defence with the cops

I'll give you the cars though but part of that was Vegeta

Slaythe

That was filler.

As for his gun, he still has one now, that doesn't mean he's shooting people. He just likes shooting inanimate things (like many people do). Could also be used as a way to scare people off.

Hey Trunks was an apprentice (for some reason) and healed Goku so he did something

Woah, my bad, this changes everything.

Nah, Nando's points are pretty much why I disliked it. Decent concepts, awful execution.

Yeah. I wouldn't say thought it was awful but a bit disappointing. Still overall enjoyable.

Aweful execution seems harsh since it was no more flawed than any other arc in Dragon Ball and it doesn't run on everyone being morons like the Android/Cell and Buu Saga.

Maybe to your standards. They definitely don't match up with everyone's. Characters acting stupid is automatically "awful execution" for me, so there's a difference in standards right there.

Even though the whole meditation and ultimate state pretty much goes against it, I would like to see the brutal, give no fucks Gohan one last time. Goku and Vegeta's rage-boosts have nothing on Gohan's brutality when he's angry.

Just saw the preview image. Guess Goku will be happy to have
Golden Freeza
as his next sparring partner

Hey Trunks was an apprentice (for some reason) and healed Goku so he did something

sure. And i'm certain that after zamasu defuses and Goku and Vegeta beat Black down and hold him still. Trunks might be allowed to smack him with the sword at least once

What, you don't like petty White Mage Trunks?

Just wait until Trunks sees a video of universe two and upgrades to magic boy status
Sailor Trunks and Tuxedo Mai will defeat all

I think Zamasu as far as a threat is one of the most if not most dangerous villain in DB. It took complete erasure from Zeno to get rid of him and ended up wiping out Trunks' whole world with it.

i legitimately hated the dude as soon as he bragged about killing Chi Chi and Goten

caliph95

Just saw the preview image. Guess Goku will be happy to have
Golden Freeza
as his next sparring partner

sure. And i'm certain that after zamasu defuses and Goku and Vegeta beat Black down and hold him still. Trunks might be allowed to smack him with the sword at least once

Just wait until Trunks sees a video of universe two and upgrades to magic boy status
Sailor Trunks and Tuxedo Mai will defeat all
Trunks next chapter
266ff277efd61d5b850aed9d16ba378f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom