• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Sorry for the slightly off topic..

I watch DBS and One Piece, and I've always been a huge OP fan. But I take long breaks from in a binge it and repeat.

Is One Piece doing bad these days? Or is the current arc boring? I know it probably couldn't keep top quality forever... but I've been seeing stuff about OP's decline here and there.

The arc itself is good, arguably the best one since the timeskip. It's just... the OP anime continues to be the OP anime, not much else to say lol

Edit: Where is One Piece right now? If they're not in a major arc, it's not really comparable.

It is currently in a major arc, they're dealing with a Yonko lol

He's a kid in a candy store right now.
The fact that he isn't going to interact with any of the U6 saiyans to fight them still bothers me.

We don't know which Ribrianne he's fighting in the opening though.

Edit: Where is One Piece right now? If they're not in a major arc, it's not really comparable.

I'm pretty sure Freeza will knock out one U6 Saiyan.

Daingurse

Sorry for the slightly off topic..

I watch DBS and One Piece, and I've always been a huge OP fan. But I take long breaks from in a binge it and repeat.

Is One Piece doing bad these days? Or is the current arc boring? I know it probably couldn't keep top quality forever... but I've been seeing stuff about OP's decline here and there.

Big Mom arc in the anime hasn't been too bad so far IMO. I'm excited to see Cracker cut loose this week, been wanting to see him animated for a minute now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's still the number one manga.

And the number one shonen actually. It's true that it has lot a significant amount of viewership over the past 2 years on average. Most shows are down too, but One Piece saw the biggest drop.

As for merch and video games, One Piece is still doing a lot of money. It just pales in comparison to DBZ, especially if you factor in Worldwide profits.

It doesn't help that the One Piece anime barely covers a chapter an episode. The pacing is straight trash so this doesn't shock me at all.

ev0

Thanks for the replies and insight guys!

On topic: hoping to catch up on DBS this weekend. I'm a few episodes behind. And to think I initially had no interest in this series, despite DB being such a huge part of my childhood.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
1Q would've covered the beginnings of the Whole Cake island arc, so mostly just set up.

But if you look at that chart closely, it's not so much that One Piece fell as much as it's that Dragonball exploded worldwide since last year. Which makes sense as that was around when Super stopped copying the movies and started having new arcs. There's not much in anime that can beat NEW Dragonball content in terms of licensing and merchandise.
I don't think One Piece is in a great position lately, DBZ seems like an absolute juggernaut in comparison. I'm not sure it will change.

But speaking of OP, the views difference on Toei's channel is pretty funny.

Lf7pBz.jpg

Well those videos aren't very comparable. Of course Dragonball previews get a lot of views since everyone wants to know what happens in the next episode. But anyone who wants to know what happens next in One Piece would just read the manga, not scour over details in a short YouTube video.

YoungOne

One Piece anime really needs some filler instead of all the reaction shots padding out an episode. Pacing is terrible right now dropped it after the fishman island arc and stuck to the manga instead.

RocknRola

For Q1 of the fiscal year Dragon Ball made more than double what One Piece did in Japan.
DF1ZGu_W0AEJanW.jpg:large

Dragon Ball's comeback continues to amaze. I wonder if it will continue to make more than OP in Japan for the rest of the fiscal year or if this is a one time thing.

Wow! Double of what OP did? Holy crap! :O

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece anime really needs some filler instead of all the reaction shots padding out an episode. Pacing is terrible right now dropped it after the fishman island arc and stuck to the manga instead.

Problem is it's a series where there's really not much room for filler. Plus they stopped because no one watched it in the first place. They'd be better off just doing two seasons of content a year, but the ship's sailed on that.

Anth0ny

For Q1 of the fiscal year Dragon Ball made more than double what One Piece did in Japan.

Dragon Ball's comeback continues to amaze. I wonder if it will continue to make more than OP in Japan for the rest of the fiscal year or if this is a one time thing.

Fucking wow.

Where is Dragon Ball making all of this money? I always assumed One Piece just destroyed Dragon Ball from merch and manga sales alone.

I forgot to specify that the image I posted is just Toei, I don't know if Bandai put out their numbers yet, but DB made about double what OP did for Bandai last fiscal year, so it's probably pretty similar, just with bigger numbers since Bandai makes more off of the IPs than Toei does.
Fucking wow.

Where is Dragon Ball making all of this money? I always assumed One Piece just destroyed Dragon Ball from merch and manga sales alone.

It used to, but Dragon Ball merch has become a monster in the past 2 or so years.

Anth0ny

I forgot to specify that the image I posted is just Toei, I don't know if Bandai put out their numbers yet, but DB made about double what OP did for Bandai last fiscal year, so it's probably pretty similar, just with bigger numbers since Bandai makes more off of the IPs than Toei does.

Ah. Makes sense. So One Piece is probably still making an absolute killing from manga sales.

But it's still amazing how well Dragon Ball is doing. I didn't expect this so quickly.

Feels good to see a new Dragon Ball anime killing it like this. Also comforting considering how many times I suggested it during the Kai days, and how many times I was told "TOEI WOULD NEVER DO THAT IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE AND WOULDN'T BE WORTH IT"

fuckers

Ah. Makes sense. So One Piece is probably still making an absolute killing from manga sales.

But it's still amazing how well Dragon Ball is doing. I didn't expect this so quickly.

Feels good to see a new Dragon Ball anime killing it like this. Also comforting considering how many times I suggested it during the Kai days, and how many times I was told "TOEI WOULD NEVER DO THAT IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE AND WOULDN'T BE WORTH IT"

fuckers

Yeah, One Piece's manga sales are still massive, but Toei and Bandai don't see that money.

Slaythe

fuckers

It had nothing to do with money, it had to do with Toriyama refusing to come back at all.

Question: Does Akira Toriyama still get anything from the current sales DBS is pulling in?

I don't know about "DBS" directly, but yes he gets a % on any game and merch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It had nothing to do with money, it had to do with Toriyama refusing to come back at all.

I don't know about "DBS" directly, but yes he gets a % on any game and merch.

They're his characters and story, even if it's a sequel series he's not involved in he should still be bringing in a royalty check.

NeonZ

Fucking wow.

That's from Toei, so it's (part of the money) from all products that use the anime license for Dragonball or One Piece. Manga sales wouldn't enter there.

Question: Does Akira Toriyama still get anything from the current sales DBS is pulling in?

See that "Bird Studio"? It's basically Toriyama. Any money from DB related products partially goes back to him.

RocknRola

That's from Toei, so it's (part of the money) from all products that use the anime license for Dragonball or One Piece. Manga sales wouldn't enter there.

See that "Bird Studio"? It's basically Toriyama. Any money from DB related products partially goes back to him.

Oh nice. Never knew Bird Studio was related to him at all.

Is this including everything (merch, manga, and tv show)? Or just money from airing on tv?

Snaku

Banned

My Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black arrived from Figure Class! Only my second DB resin statue, and it's so rad. Fantastic sculpt, detail, base, and paint job. Really captures the evil arrogance of Black. The Rosé aura is just gorgeous. It also came with a titanium replica of Black's time ring as an unannounced bonus.

RocknRola

My Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black arrived from Figure Class! Only my second DB resin statue, and it's so rad. Fantastic sculpt, detail, base, and paint job. Really captures the evil arrogance of Black. The Rosé aura is just gorgeous. It also came with a titanium replica of Black's time ring as an unannounced bonus.

Wow. Those are some badass figures. Goku Black looks absolutely perfect (DBS am cry)!! Even the Goku+Freeza one looks awesome too.

Is this including everything (merch, manga, and tv show)? Or just money from airing on tv?

This is licensing money that Toei gets, so their cut of all the merch.
Bandai and Sueisha's numbers aren't a part of this, though Toei gets a cut of Bandai's stuff.
How many pink fighters are in this tournament? That guy Frieza is fucking with looks like the guy Caulifla knocked out.

Caulifla knocked out the Sumo from U10, the guy in the Freeza shot is the leader of the U10 team.

Skeeter49

This is licensing money that Toei gets, so their cut of all the merch.
Bandai and Sueisha's numbers aren't a part of this, though Toei gets a cut of Bandai's stuff.

Caulifla knocked out the Sumo from U10, the guy in the Freeza shot is the leader of the U10 team.
I'm blaming the elephant god for bias towards pink fighters.
Maybe that's why they took Buu out, so he wouldn't be mistaken for a U10 fighter.

Slaythe

How is Toriyama not a billionaire yet, his deal must be awful.

Japanese people are not that greedy.

He has several residences, doesn't have to care for clothes, food, any extra activity or collectible he wants, all the cars and bikes he loves, doesn't have to worry about healthcare, and he's set for life, as well as his kids for several generations to come.

A big part also goes to his company, which I assume he uses to pay some of his faithful employees (a handful at most), and produce some stuff.

It's not like he needs more.

Japanese people are not that greedy.

He has several residences, doesn't have to care for clothes, food, any extra activity or collectible he wants, all the cars and bikes he loves, doesn't have to worry about healthcare, and he's set for life, as well as his kids for several generations to come.

A big part also goes to his company, which I assume he uses to pay some of his faithful employees (a handful at most), and produce some stuff.

It's not like he needs more.

As I recall, that kind of life amounts to about 2 mil US.
Its not about greed, its about how much he gets to keep of his own profits. Cause I'll tell you, someone is getting filthy rich off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom