• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutger

Banned
absolutely.

but they should Jojo it up.
end the season. time skip (one where Goku actually ages) and have Gohan become the main character. next season, time skip, Pan becomes the main character

If only the Buu saga ended the way it, and the series itself for the three previous arcs, was building up to...

Daingurse

Why does it feel people in this thread are obsessed with Gohan, both negative and positive?

Gohan just seems to have a lot of fans and haters on this board. Because you're actually right, I don't really see many middling opinions regarding Gohan on GAF. People either love him and want him to be more relevant, or they despise him and want to see him broken lol.

LotusHD

Banned
People either love him and want him to be more relevant,

Hmm, I want him to be more relevant, but I certainly don't love him... (Although maybe that's due to him not being relevant...)

or they despise him and want to see him broken lol.

Eh, definitely don't despise him, the humor is more in seeing the reactions of those who are huge Gohan fans whenever something bad happens to him.

---

I guess I'm middling then!

Daingurse

Hmm, I want him to be more relevant, but I certainly don't love him... (Although maybe that's due to him not being relevant...)

Eh, definitely don't despise him, the humor is more in seeing the reactions of those who are huge Gohan fans whenever something awry happens if anything.

---

Damn you, Lotus. You just had to be the exception to break my narrative! 🤣

I don't get bio Broly, they had normal ass Broly there in that tank, why'd they turn him a blob monster? They contrive some bullshit to bring him his dumbass back a again and then they fuck it up at last moment, couldn't have been mecha Broly at least?

HeroR

Eh, definitely don't despise him, the humor is more in seeing the reactions of those who are huge Gohan fans whenever something bad happens to him.

---

Can't lie, that's me. I like Gohan as a character, but his fandom makes me want bad things to happen to him.

Rutger

Banned
Why does it feel people in this thread are obsessed with Gohan, both negative and positive?

Gohan is the only character to give Goku a very real fight for the role of main character. His importance throughout Z and the sloppy handling of the end of the Buu arc means a lot of people are going to have strong feelings about him one way or the other.

At least, that's what I think the reason is.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
nfNCDoJ.jpg

Holy shit is this goober about to get fisted

Daingurse

Can't lie, that's me. I like Gohan as a character, but his fandom makes me want bad things to happen to him.

That's pretty petty, man! I can't think of a character whose fanbase does that to me. I want Goku to get crushed, but his fanbase ain't got nothing to do with it lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Damn you, Lotus. You just had to be the exception to break my narrative! ��

I'm a DBS centrist!
Except for that chicken guy, fuck him.

This show in general just has people very attached to their favorite characters, to the point where they're starved for them to do anything of note. Which I completely understand tbh, because outside of Goku and at times Vegeta, pretty much everyone else was irrelevant up until this point. Now they're finally getting it in this tournament, but if said characters dare to be knocked out too soon, or at least before they've done a good job of knocking out their opponents, several of y'all here have made it clear that there will be hell to pay lol

Which makes sense, since well, after this tournament, who knows when they'll ever be relevant again lol

That's pretty petty, man! I can't think of a character whose fanbase does that to me. I want Goku to get crushed, but his fanbase ain't got nothing to do with it lol.

I think the closest I have to this feeling is just not wanting certain One Piece characters to join Luffy's crew due to the fandoms for them

Otherwise, meh, I don't usually let it actually bother me.

I get it. Gohan will accidentally be killed by Golden Frieza in an epic fight, and Frieza will be disqualified for it.Goku will be notified that, in the world of the void, death is permanent. Not even the dragon balls can bring a person back after that.

That is why they explicitly made a no kill rule, to preserve the lives of all surviving members in the event their universe wins.

Where does Gohan go? Nowhere. He's gone forever. Goku's son is forever lost to him now that he's dead. He won't even be able to keep and bury his body. That's what will trigger Goku's new form. That's the terrible thing that happens.

Skeeter49

I don't get bio Broly, they had normal ass Broly there in that tank, why'd they turn him a blob monster? They contrive some bullshit to bring him his dumbass back a again and then they fuck it up at last moment, couldn't have been mecha Broly at least?
The way to bring him back was in the name of the show as well :(

HeroR

I'm a DBS centrist!
Except for that chicken guy, fuck him.

This show in general just has people very attached to their favorite characters, to the point where they're starved for them to do anything of note. Which I completely understand tbh, because outside of Goku and at times Vegeta, pretty much everyone else was irrelevant up until this point. Now they're finally getting it in this tournament, but if said characters dare to be knocked out too soon, or at least before they've done a good job of knocking out their opponents, several of y'all here have made it clear that there will be hell to pay lol

Which makes sense, since well, after this tournament, who knows when they'll ever be relevant again lol

I think the closest I have to this feeling is just not wanting certain One Piece characters to join Luffy's crew due to the fandoms for them

Otherwise, meh, I don't usually let it actually bother me.

Which reminds me why Vegeta's fans are the biggest babies in the fandom. While Gohan's fans can be annoying, Vegeta's fans are worse since Vegeta is basically a second main character, at least until this arc, yet they still whine about the show not kissing Vegeta's ass enough like making him more powerful than Goku or killing a main villains because he's 'owed' it.

Which is probably why I like what Frieza did in Resurrection 'F'. Toriyama trolled the Vegeta fan base.

brinstar

I'm in a weird zone with Gohan where I like him but I feel like he's been removed from every context that makes him unique or interesting. He's no longer a kid, he's not emotionally unstable anymore, he doesn't use Piccolo's techniques and he dresses like Goku. I hope they let him find his own path soon.

Skeeter49

Which reminds me why Vegeta's fans are the biggest babies in the fandom. While Gohan's fans can be annoying, Vegeta's fans are worse since Vegeta is basically a second main character, at least until this arc, yet they still whine about the show not kissing Vegeta's ass enough like making him more powerful than Goku or killing a main villains because he's 'owed' it.

Which is probably why I like what Frieza did in Resurrection 'F'. Toriyama trolled the Vegeta fan base.
I don't get their problem. Vegeta easily had the most wins in Super before this arc, and at least for right now, it's not even debatable he has the most.

My issue is I haven't felt like he deserved many of them.

LotusHD

Banned

That movie was weird for me because I too thought they could've simply switched things around and had Vegeta get the kill. That said, the reactions were priceless.

Other than that, though I ultimately like Vegeta as a character, he is insanely easy to make fun of, it just never gets old. Especially since he has this medical condition that prevents him from remembering the Ls he takes, and therefore always remains incredibly prideful in spite of said Ls. So whenever the next villain comes along and humiliates him, I just laugh, then wait for the cycle to begin anew.

And then yea, power-wise, it's pretty boring having a rival that can only copy Goku's forms instead of doing something brand new. Except with Goku bringing back Kaio-ken, Vegeta ain't matching that anytime soon it seems. Doesn't need to be stronger than him, but yea, some variety would be neat.

I'm in a weird zone with Gohan where I like him but I feel like he's been removed from every context that makes him unique or interesting. He's no longer a kid, he's not emotionally unstable anymore, he doesn't use Piccolo's techniques and he dresses like Goku. I hope they let him find his own path soon.

Yea pretty much, especially regarding his outfits.

Daingurse

I don't get their problem. Vegeta easily had the most wins in Super before this arc, and at least for right now, it's not even debatable he has the most.

If Toriyama would have let Vegeta kill Frieza you would probably hear a lot less complaining lol. I won't be sated until Vegeta "saves the day". Individual wins don't mean much to me, especially when most of them are against fodder. Basically, Vegeta needs to get something over on Goku once, and since this series is so resistant to doing that, you're going to continue to hear complaints!

Also, it would have been a lot easier if Vegeta actually kept the character development he gained in the Buu Saga. Once Vegeta got his "Saiyan Pride" and competitive spirit back in Super, I can't help but have those same feelings return as well! That character regression really didn't help in the grand scheme of things. Now deep in the cockles of my heart, I want Vegeta to be top dog again! The Super Elite Space Warrior! The Strongest in the Universe!

So yeah, we're probably going to continue to be insufferable going forward ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I think I'm actually a pretty cordial Vegeta fan . . .

Slaythe

It seems very out of character for Bulma not to wish to be younger anyway.

I don't see why not.

Krilin and Bulma are the only two characters who might care about aging.

They're married to beings that age very slowly so it makes sense.

Tien would turn into some old sage martial arts kinda like roshi.

I'd totally watch a slice of life spin off about Tien's dojo. With Yurin, Chioatsu, yamcha and launch as side characters. You could even have Crane and Tao show up to start shit.

Just leave rape roshi in Super though

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gohan is the only character to give Goku a very real fight for the role of main character. His importance throughout Z and the sloppy handling of the end of the Buu arc means a lot of people are going to have strong feelings about him one way or the other.

At least, that's what I think the reason is.

That's definitely part of it. I'm pretty happy where he is now though in that they've course corrected on his character flaws from Z and made Ultimate Gohan something decent this time with regards to his character progression.

They should be happy Toriyama brought him back in the eleventh hour of the original series, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom