• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

I don't know, in two episodes Goku was dicking around in base and hadn't landed a single blow on Rozie.

Wasn't exactly doing a great job.

Xandalan

Neo Member
I have to echo that Goku has been severely disappointing this arc. I know he is here to have fun and learn new moves...BUT again he has a universe and I guess a family if he remembers to support. He has never reacted except for one serious looking shot, prob thrown in to appease editor mandate. That might have been fun if he wasn't in every damn episode. If he appeared once in awhile having fun like Frieza it would have been funny. Great chance for Gohan and 17 to be like WTF and dig in deep. But no like GT its always Goku which makes everything worse. Just save him for the big guns. Let this serious tournament seem more than the oh no you ring out tournaments of old.

Slaythe

DHGyCLKXgAAaX9h.jpg

DHGyCLRW0AAh0D7.jpg

DHGyFS_XkAArlkJ.jpg

This was too good. Made me smile like an idiot. It's great to see him have fun too.

The writers are really fleshing him out in so many ways. It's a blast.

Fuck you GT.

TrueBlue

I don't know, in two episodes Goku was dicking around in base and hadn't landed a single blow on Rozie.

My memories of last weekend's episode are a little fuzzy, but I don't recall him necessarily struggling either.

But I might be wrong. Either way I think he was fine this episode.

Slaythe

My memories of last weekend's episode are a little fuzzy, but I don't recall him necessarily struggling either.

But I might be wrong. Either way I think he was fine this episode.

maxresdefault.jpg

He hasn't landed a single attack, kept trying to dodge (with varying degrees of success), for two episodes, in base form.

In the same time 17 took out 2 opponents and went on to fight Brianne.

You can't expect Beerus and 17 not to wonder if something is wrong.

dci260

I blame Tien.
We'll see those tricky techniques any day now... ;(

today's episode was crazy huh
hqdefault.jpg
No. Get this abomination out of my sight.

The first time ever that I liked Yamcha jr
You sicken me.

We have to accept our fate, either we get Mcdonald eyes in an episode, or lowering guard Goku.
I've decided for all of us.
epcTlg6.png

17 and Gohan used to literally be the worst with their guard/attitude, and them giving Goku a lesson is funny but also painful.

Goku is completely regressing as a character, from Z.
I mean, you're not wrong. It really has been painful to watch Goku this arc.

I'm going to be annoyed if Goku gets a new form this arc to be honest, and I still don't think he's getting one.
...You may want to come to accept that he's getting one. :p

I hope Frieza randomly kills Gokuu, that's not against the rules is it?
No, it means you're sane.

HeroR

I meant the way SSG is used even after BoG. Goku (and even Vegeta) have access to it and it's meant to have certain advantages over SSB (better stamina / agility).

Also, I must say, it felt like "Saiyan beyond God" has kind of disappeared after RoF, and this reappearance of SSG pretty much cements it. Base Goku in cases where he fought Krillin, or Trunks, or some other characters, felt like a sub-SS1 Goku when based on BoG his base is supposed to overpower even SS3. It would be cool if they elaborated on the situation by saying he must recharge his base form's "God power" or something, but we all know they won't. :p

Super Saiyan God doesn't have better agility in the manga. Where is this narrator suddenly coming from?

I'll repeat what I said earlier in that I don't think Goku did much wrong this time around.

He was never in any danger of being knocked out - it just took him a little bit of time to figure our the style used against him. Once he got to grips with it, he pretty much dominated his opponent.

I dunno. I felt the scolding and 17's rescue weren't earned this time around. Gohan and Piccolo were both caught by surprise too IIRC, but I'd hardly accuse them of not taking things seriously. It's just how fights play out.

Not that Goku hasn't been lax earlier in the tournament, but I don't think this episode is comparable to him nearly being grappled out of the ring.

Pretty much. Goku wasn't even off guard. He got out played and even then he didn't need 17's help. It's just people getting triggered easily whenever Goku does something they don't like.

He did land a blow and nearly rung her out. What are you talking about?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
maxresdefault.jpg

He hasn't landed a single attack, kept trying to dodge (with varying degrees of success), for two episodes, in base form.

Goku probably isn't that stoked since he hasn't been been desperately pushed in a one on one fight yet. This whole thing is probably not enticing him.

HeroR

I have to echo that Goku has been severely disappointing this arc. I know he is here to have fun and learn new moves...BUT again he has a universe and I guess a family if he remembers to support. He has never reacted except for one serious looking shot, prob thrown in to appease editor mandate. That might have been fun if he wasn't in every damn episode. If he appeared once in awhile having fun like Frieza it would have been funny. Great chance for Gohan and 17 to be like WTF and dig in deep. But no like GT its always Goku which makes everything worse. Just save him for the big guns. Let this serious tournament seem more than the oh no you ring out tournaments of old.

17 screws around almost as much as Goku, but no one cares because 'he looks cool'.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yet Goku's ring out count is higher than 17's, go figure.

dci260

Super Saiyan God doesn't have better agility in the manga. Where is this narrator suddenly coming from?
Probably based on the fact that SSG drains less stamina, thus allowing the user to maintain their speed longer. Basically, it's only faster over time.
As far as we know, anyway.

Using SSG for stamina would have been great the millions of times during this tournament where he needed to save stamina but whatever, Goku.

dci260

That wouldn't make the form faster.
I agree, it doesn't. However, as Blue tires and slows down, SSG remains fast (due to the decreased stamina drain). Anyway, just stating where I believe the misconception comes from. For all we know they may change how it functions in the anime.

Using SSG for stamina would have been great the millions of times during this tournament where he needed to save stamina but whatever, Goku.
Which is part of the reason it is dumb he is suddenly utilizing it.

Fuck you GT.
A statement that I will always echo, regardless of context (though, I do happen to agree with your post).

Slaythe

He did land a blow and nearly rung her out. What are you talking about?

After 17 intervened. I was talking about why 17 jumped in to help.

17 screws around almost as much as Goku, but no one cares because 'he looks cool'.

17 tries to help his teammates if he sees potential danger, and goes all out whenever he sees something that can be a threat.

Yet Goku's ring out count is higher than 17's, go figure.

So what ? Goku wasn't fighting opponents that faced 17. We haven't seen anyone Goku took down that would have given 17 any trouble so far.

The maidens were comparable to one another and their fight started at the same time.

Also most of 17's foes ran away after he showed he was on top. 17 also wasn't a target like Goku.

You know what? After this episode I'm a 17 fan more, the treatment super gave 17 is too much for a character that appeared in one arc and got a cameo in the next. I'm liking the side characters so much more than Goku, I want Goku eleminated to focus on the other characters more.

ash_ag

It would, if it was running a marathon (so to speak). That's not really how it was used by Toyotaro, Vegeta vs Black being a one-on-one battle, but the logic applied behind it would make it suitable for the Tournament of Power.

This still doesn't explain how Goku could tranform into SSJG. He needs 5 other Saiyans to help him do it and there are 5 of them on the field. It would be more logical if the 3 Saiyans of Universe 6 help him since he came to Hit's rescue.

HeroR

After 17 intervened. I was talking about why 17 jumped in to help.

17 tries to help his teammates if he sees potential danger, and goes all out whenever he sees something that can be a threat.

So what ? Goku wasn't fighting opponents that faced 17. We haven't seen anyone Goku took down that would have given 17 any trouble so far. And to nitpick, Goku hasn't even been fighter her for two episodes since he didn't fight her until halfway through Episode 102.

The maidens were comparable to one another and their fight started at the same time.

Also most of 17's foes ran away after he showed he was on top. 17 also wasn't a target like Goku.

And Goku didn't need 17's help. I mean it was nice, but Goku was never in any real danger. Also to nitpick, Goku didn't even start fighting that magical girl until halfway through the last episode, so he wasn't fighting the same person for two episodes.

The only teammate he has helped is Goku. I didn't see him around when 18 was in trouble or Krillin got knocked off. He also didn't go all out since he admitted to playing with the magical girl last week and if he wasn't playing, he should have more than two KOs to his name by now.

Read what I wrote in the last paragraph. You said 17 isn't fooling around and he doesn't have to worry about stamina. So why does he have only two KOs? Why hasn't he wasted half the field by now and wasted his time playing with the magical girl last week and only got serious for a moment?

What fighters have we seen run away from 17 other than one Pride Trooper? Seriously, this is kind of an odd double standard you have going on here.

It would, if it was running a marathon (so to speak). That's not really how it was used by Toyotaro, Vegeta vs Black being a one-on-one battle, but the logic applied behind it would make it suitable for the Tournament of Power.

That wouldn't make you faster. That just mean you have more stamina. Even then, the manga never once claimed Super Saiyan God was faster in anyway to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Only that it took less stamina.

I'm so infuriated when Goku say "I know" to "don't let your guard down" even though we all know he is gonna probably going to almost get ring out 15 times in this tournament.

It's like a kid who assure you that he listens to whatever you say then proceed to do the exact opposite like 5 minutes after.

Mark1

Gowasu :( you will be missed. Hope they get brought back. Our GodTuber needs to return.

But yeah that was a great tournament style episode. Gohan, 17, Piccolo and even Goku all performed well this episode.

I love what I'm seeing from Dyspo. Apparently he's quite powerful, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say his power was retconned either, which I suspect is how some may be seeing it. He didn't at all look weak in that little universe 11 scuffle with that monster. In fact, he really didn't look all too different from a not entirely serious Goku who, while messing around, managed to get himself caught by an enemy.

If Dyspo was capable of much more on his own in that particular moment in time, we didn't get a chance to see it because he had support. But think about it, how often have we seen characters like Goku not completely bring his A game and get caught off guard by a weaker opponent as a result? It's happened quite a bit. It's even occurred quite a few times in this very tournament.

What I quite enjoyed, however, was Goku instantly getting a bit more serious when Android 17 came under the impression he was in serious trouble. Goku is picking on fighting style of his opponents, and is also simultaneously conserving his stamina, which is tremendously important for this tournament. I actually quite enjoy seeing Goku not exactly go for broke so early in the tournament. Even girl realized that there was far more to Goku's strength than what he was letting on.

I'm also quite amazed in a good way by Ribrianne's character. Such a really nice character with tremendous power. I also get the impression somehow that the Yardrat may be secretly even more powerful than even Ribrianne, or at least on a similar level? Really liked what I saw from Gohan this episode. Even as more powerful opponents are showing themselves, there is clearly a whole other level that many of these characters can reach, and that clearly begins once certain characters are matched up against one another.

Less raw destructive power, maybe, but almost certainly a quite immense level of power that is likely easier to maintain over longer periods. It, or whatever the new form is, could end up being the equivalent to the mastered super saiyan form Goku and Gohan managed to achieve during the Cell Saga. Now just imagine that potentially being combined with Kaioken...

17 is absolutely screwing around. Its his character. Even back during the android saga days, I thought the original intent of his character was a villain with the same approach to combat as Goku. That its just fun and the reason for it doesn't matter.

Slaythe

17 is absolutely screwing around. Its his character. Even back during the android saga days, I thought the original intent of his character was a villain with the same approach to combat as Goku. That its just fun and the reason for it doesn't matter.

He is having fun.

That doesn't mean he isn't taking his opponents seriously and doesn't try to get rid of threats.

He never said he was having fun with Kakunsa, he said she reminded him of an animal from his Island, and resulted in him being soft on her. That's different than deliberately lowering your level to fight people.

Mory Dunz

I feel like Yamamuro should do a separate, consistent "Ultimate Gohan" design instead of every animator slapping the bang on the current design in his own way. It's inconsistent, jarring, and most of the time, ugly.

I don't know much about Yamamuro, but yeah Gohan's bang is ugly atm.

Who know this was such a hard to design to get right...?

sturmdogg

Why are some of you thinking Goku has problems fighting in the ToP? His schtick is to learn how his opponents fight, make it look like he's having problems, then when he figures it out he kicks their ass.

He is having fun.

That doesn't mean he isn't taking his opponents seriously and doesn't try to get rid of threats.

He never said he was having fun with Kakunsa, he said she reminded him of an animal from his Island, and resulted in him being soft on her. That's different than deliberately lowering your level to fight people.

He was before the barrier attack. He pretended to be weak to mess with her.
If anything, his screwing around hasn't backfired as much as Goku's, and he appears to get bored with them faster than Goku. Vikal 'was annoying', not a threat. His finish on Kakunsa was also way too elaborate for the task, he had already demonstrated she had nothing on him.

So starting from this episode, every fighter in Universe 7 had achieved a knock out. Universe 7 has the most of the fighters left (next to Universe 6), has the most ring outs and terminated 2 universes. It's clearly obvious that Universe 7 is the most powerful one (at least for now).

TrueBlue

maxresdefault.jpg

Huh. I didn't remember that.

Still, I don't think it was anywhere near as egregious as a few episodes back.

Sony

Nintendo
She seems the only one caring for her universe and not wanting it to be erased.

She seems young. I assume Gowasu and elephant God are the first deities she worked with. The other angels seem older and I think they've seen many more deities come and go and thus are a bit less attached to their Kai and God of Destruction.

NeonZ

So... I was thinking...if U6 gets erased... doesn't that mean no super dragon balls?

The Super Dragonballs are meant to be given to the winner, so they must avoid erasing them somehow. Although this episode showed that even objects from the erased universes are erased too, even if separate from their fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom