• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 |OT| Just in Time for Super

MiTYH

So, I'm having a real hard time selecting who to play as. Last game I was offline entirely, so I mained Saiyan for their broken ki spamming. But with that change, and the fact I can go online now, I'm confused on who to play as. Any insight would be helpful!:

- Saiyan: I love the transformations, classic, but only getting atk on low atk doesnt work for me
- Namekian: I like the high stamina for dodging, and regenerating health. Is the atk too low to use? And the giant form seems good and unblockable, not sure if how it works
- Earthling: Doesn't seem to have any downsides, just seems okayish
- Frieza: Seems good and quick, just low on atk?
- Majin doesnt appeal to me

I've been thinking about jumping into this game but I'm not sure whether to start with the first one before I play this one. I understand that the story revolves around revisiting key moments and battles from DBZ so I'm wondering, are the story missions in xenoverse 2 very similar to the story missions in xenoverse 1? Am I going to be replaying the same events if I play both? If so I'll probably just jump to the sequel and skip the first one.

I've been thinking about jumping into this game but I'm not sure whether to start with the first one before I play this one. I understand that the story revolves around revisiting key moments and battles from DBZ so I'm wondering, are the story missions in xenoverse 2 very similar to the story missions in xenoverse 1? Am I going to be replaying the same events if I play both? If so I'll probably just jump to the sequel and skip the first one.

Well the majority of the maps are from the first game so I'd imagine so. The second game has some QOL improvements that pretty much nullify the original. You'd be better off jumping straight into the second game IMO, but I've not got my hands on the full game yet and don't know how much you'd miss out on since saves do carry over for a small reason related to the story, I've just no idea how meaningful that will turn out to be.

Chille

Well the majority of the maps are from the first game so I'd imagine so. The second game has some QOL improvements that pretty much nullify the original. You'd be better off jumping straight into the second game IMO, but I've not got my hands on the full game yet and don't know how much you'd miss out on since saves do carry over for a small reason related to the story, I've just no idea how meaningful that will turn out to be.

Without spoiling too much, the save file does add something really cool into the storyline

idonteven

this great saiyaman outfit looks great on ssj3 !

hair looks kinda weird for some reason
dragonballxenoverse2_2tsr3.png

I think a lot of us are jumping onto the sequel, myself included. I have not played a DBZ game since Budokai 3. I own Tenkaichi 1 but I didn't like it all too much.

ViciousDS

Banned
Footage of a pretty savage evenly matched melee fights

Barely any special moves used in the video, hah. No time, gotta punch

This match was nearly identical to the show with normal Goku. Watching skill players go at it is insane.

I'm good.......but holy fuck.....being able to use normal dodge slides with guard and shit is something I really have to get used to. I'm used to just bursting everywhere due to AI.....not really into PvP but even against cheap AI dodging is something I have to learn.

It makes sense for Hit to be a close range machine.

I do wonder, if you want to play the range game, how do you keep someone like that out? I imagine you need a dodge move and burn Stamina on it since you know you'll just use it up for dodges if he's allowed to get in. That or play the melee game, but don't follow after you knock him away.

I'm also waiting for the Steam release, though. I wish it'd release sooner.

Knock backs and blast........a real ki user could do some insane damage due to charging and stunning correctly.

When does the embargo drop its already past noon.

I am seeing reviews in progress as of 3 hours ago.....I would assume embargos are up

Slaythe

How are the Androids? 17 is my favorite DBZ character but it feels like the games just never really get the androids right.

I was no fan of 18's odd moveset in XV1, and aside from 17's broken ass ultimate he had really awkward specials too. Do they have the same movesets from XV1?

I have not tried out 18 and 16.

17 felt HORRIBLE at first.

But he is great, I'll show you the tech I found if you want, if you're on ps4. The characters all have hidden "optimal" combos or ways to link supers that seemed unlinkable, that's awesome.

The combo to land the stamina break with 17 looks like it would NEVER land yet it consistently lands even with lag, which means it's deliberate. I think they went back and made as many characters "interesting" as they could.

I'm sure some didn't get that treatment. But 17 did get it.

He has roughly the same moves as XV 1, but the way combos and skills work in XV2 is different.

Durden77

I hate that I'm at work I HATE THAT I'M AT WORK. I JUST WANNA PLAY MAN.

What was with the karate chop style slow motion-ish move my Namekian would do seemingly on his own sometimes last night? Is that part of the new stamina break system?

And I see in that Hit/Black video that people that have larger stamina bars still are far more vulnerable when their stamina depletes because they have to regen it all the way up. That's a little disappointing. I didn't really like the way X1 did that. Sometimes it felt more beneficial to purposely drain your stamina so it could refill fully which I thought was silly.

Now I'm hesitant on upping my Namekian's stamina. That's what i wanted to focus on but I dunno.

Scrawnton

Just bought the game on Xbox One and will greatly enjoy it after I get home from work. Loved the first game and will love this one.

AntonHtz on XBL if anyone wants to add me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anyway here's some quick thoughts:
Game is a lot smoother than XV1. Controls are more intuitive and I don't feel like I'm fighting the controller anymore. Story retreads are better than I expected. Definitely some more interesting "what ifs" being thrown in to keep things fresh.
Load times on PS4 are a bit longer than I'd like... they feel a bit long for a game that isn't really pushing the hardware.

my biggest issue with the same so far (very early on still) is that the camera is really inconvenient in some places..

I'm having trouble with a particular fight
the two great apes, Nappa and Vegeta
, at least partially due to the camera and how it behaves when I get close.

Load times are also longer than I'd like on the ps4. I don't anticipate that this will be as much of an issue on the PC version later this week.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My friend made a blue Namekian named Ocarina.

He's in the Time Patrol

He's the Ocarina of Time

Slaythe

my biggest issue with the same so far (very early on still) is that the camera is really inconvenient in some places..

I'm having trouble with a particular fight
the two great apes, Nappa and Vegeta
, at least partially due to the camera and how it behaves when I get close.

Load times are also longer than I'd like on the ps4. I don't anticipate that this will be as much of an issue on the PC version later this week.

It's really easy.

Not to defend the camera, but outside of that one shitty stage where it gets stuck on every mountain, it's much improved.

My tip for this map against the giants :

Just fly away, and spam your charged ki blast, that will take their stamina down quick, then you can just damage them when they kneel. If you try to fight up close the camera is gonna go like "no bruh lol" .

Kalentan

So what's the point of the QQ Bang if it's going to just give you random stats? I combined two pieces of Gohan Gear (which give 2 down for Health and Ki Blast Supers, and 4 Basic ATK), and got a QQ Bang that gives 1 up Health and Strike Supers, 2 up Ki, and 2 down Stamina?

I feel like I just got ripped off.

It's really easy.

Not to defend the camera, but outside of that one shitty stage where it gets stuck on every mountain, it's much improved.

My tip for this map against the giants :

Just fly away, and spam your charged ki blast, that will take their stamina down quick, then you can just damage them when they kneel. If you try to fight up close the camera is gonna go like "no bruh lol" .

I'll have to try it that way. Could also be that I need to level up some.. I don't think I even have a charged Ki blast. Is there some way to regenerate Ki? I don't seem to have a power-up move.. (playing as an earthling)

Waiting for the game to install here. Anyone know exactly how the character transfer works? I assume you play through the story as a new character you create and not the transferred one, right?

McNum

Waiting for the game to install here. Anyone know exactly how the character transfer works? I assume you play through the story as a new character you create and not the transferred one, right?
Correct. Your old character will be an NPC and hailed as the hero of the last game. You'll have to create a different one for the XV2 story.

You do, however, get the clothes and skills your old character had equipped in your inventory from the start. Except for transformation skills and anything that came from Bardock.

Is the Goku Black code supposed yo be INSIDE the case or does the retailer supposed to give it to you seperate. I just want to know before I go off.

Slaythe

I'll have to try it that way. Could also be that I need to level up some.. I don't think I even have a charged Ki blast. Is there some way to regenerate Ki? I don't seem to have a power-up move.. (playing as an earthling)

Just hold circle and it will do a charged ki blast.

And yes there is a skill that allows you to recharge your ki, "full power charge" stuff like this, you should be able to buy it or get it from a parallel quest.

Don't feel overwhelmed, there's a lot of content to discover !

I recommend that you try to find the elder kai next to the school, he has a complete tutorial about the battle system. That should be really helpful.

Just hold circle and it will do a charged ki blast.

ah. ok. I got confused thinking all of my Ki moves were supers.

I didn't have any trouble when I did the Supreme Kai of Time's tutorial thing.. I felt like I had a good handle on things, but my tactics just weren't working against the giants.

Slaythe

ah. ok. I got confused thinking all of my Ki moves were supers.

I didn't have any trouble when I did the Supreme Kai of Time's tutorial thing.. I felt like I had a good handle on things, but my tactics just weren't working against the giants.

Do what I said and then lock on to their TAIL and grab it =) .

Revven

Just got my copy but I haven't been home since... well... now because of a dental appointment. But now... I will play!!

Top Bottom