• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 |OT| Just in Time for Super

Revven

Did they fix the brightness issue that X1 had on PS4 and Xbox One had compared to PC? Those games were weirdly very dark and dulled compared to other games.

Yes, they did. However, to get it to be on par with the PC version of XV1 you need to tweak the brightness setting. The default brightness setting in XV2 is XV1's ugly gray filter; raising the brightness removes the gray filter.

Slaythe

Spent one hour in training mode with Android 17.
Was initially very disappointed, but I found set ups for him !

It was hard to connect things for him, took me the longest time to find a way to connect the smashes.

Durden77

So uh....Goku Black seems like he kind of sucks...

Stil looks cool though, and nice that we get a taste of Sean's Black. I think I like it.

Nordicus

Spent one hour in training mode with Android 17.
Was initially very disappointed, but I found set ups for him !

It was hard to connect things for him, took me the longest time to find a way to connect the smashes.
I remember one of his basic combos in Xenoverse 1 has a sweep that never connects because your opponent is floating above it. Is it in XV2?

Damn delayed PC release!

Revven

So uh....Goku Black seems like he kind of sucks...

Stil looks cool though, and nice that we get a taste of Sean's Black. I think I like it.

By virtue of having Goku's strings/combos Goku Black, at least this version of him, will probably in the long-run actually be pretty good.

Man I was disappointed as fuck...all he got is that black kamehamaha

Nah, he got a hand sword move that's exclusive to him and has 3-4 hits in it; it's a strike super and can even be used as a back attack.

He's underwhelming as far as him being properly represented in the game goes but he didn't only get the Black Kamehameha. :p

And it's a trash ultimate because the enemy can easily role out before it hits.

Stamina Break.

Really, you can say that about any ult. that has a kick/punch before the actual beam/ball/energy attack comes out but because you can break someone's stamina so easily in this game there aren't really any trashy ultimates unless the ult. is just too slow to hit someone while they're recovering from a non-guard broken stamina break.

Slaythe

And it's a trash ultimate because the enemy can easily role out before it hits.

It can only land 100% on one of his combo or during stamina break D: ...

that being said, keep in mind many characters seem awful until you spend time with them.
Maybe there's a way to make him decent...

17 is a prime example of that. He has nothing that connects properly until you start understanding him.

but he is a garbage easy cash in character so whatever. Hopefully we'll get a real Black in the DLCs. Everybody plays him online it's so sad.
I remember one of his basic combos in Xenoverse 1 has a sweep that never connects because your opponent is floating above it. Is it in XV2?

Damn delayed PC release!

Sort of.

Nothing "connects" normally for him, his specials whiff, his ultimate whiffs, his combos seem limited.

That's until you understand how to cancel his combos and then he is a great character. :p

Nordicus

Sort of.

Nothing "connects" normally for him, his specials whiff, his ultimate whiffs, his combos seem limited.

That's until you understand how to cancel his combos and then he is a great character. :p
Eeh, never cared for 17's Super Electric Strike (or whatever) anyway.

Just give me the standard energy blast volley ulti that turns into homing shots if it's used as a combo finisher. Was a mindblowing moment when I discovered that in XV1.

Slaythe

Eeh, never cared for 17's Super Electric Strike (or whatever) anyway.

Just give me the standard energy blast volley ulti that turns into homing shots if it's used as a combo finisher. Was a mindblowing moment when I discovered that in XV1.

It does ?! D:

Edit : omfg it does.

Well only his second version has that ulti. It also has a stamina drain (he is human ... he is not supposed to have that but whatever)

I like his grab move on the first version ! ! ! you can do sick combos with it as a finisher.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Question: Do I need to have finished the main storyline in XV1 to transfer my character?

PD: Bonus question: Once I transfer, I can still play XV1, no? I'm close to the end in XV1...

Nordicus

It does ?! D:
YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!
btj3yjI.jpg
Just look at this! All shots home in like crazy if you use the energy volley ulti after a standard knockback combo

Edit:
Edit : omfg it does.
Aah, so you tested it out.

So yeah, keep that in mind when you try to test the viability of story characters. The damage isn't fantastic, but the tracking gets ridiculous

Slaythe

YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!

Just look at this! All shots home in like crazy if you use the energy volley ulti after a standard knockback combo

Edit: Aah, so you tested it out.

So yeah, keep that in mind when you try to test the viability of story characters. The damage isn't fantastic, but the tracking gets ridiculous

I came up with some really good tech for 17.

I have some Goku and 17 tech, they're my favorite characters, I'll train Trunks once I get his Super version.

But yeah in this game, when a character seems useless, they usually have a version or some non obvious thing that makes them decent.

The "limitations" mode is great, it puts almost all characters on an even ground. Beerus vs Yamcha is viable. That's great.

That turns the homing volley's damage into a decent one.

He has a new move that seems entirely useless at the moment, it's called "charged ki wave", I have no idea what it does.

Slaythe

Is there any way to obtain the pre-order bonuses another way? Like, are they unlockables or planned as incoming DLC stuff?

No word on the tao pai pai vehicle.

Black will be purchasable at another date. (don't buy him, it's a Goku costume, wait for the proper DLC)

And no idea for Trunks yet.

Hopefully he IS in the base game.

Sheppard

Is there a mentor system like the first game? If so, if you play using the Japanese voices, does it have subs during all parts of the game? I remember during the stats screen after a battle, there were no subtitles during the stat screen and I had no idea what was going on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm having fun with the story. Burst out laughing when Trunks introduced the original Time Patroller and all that guy did was grin like an idiot.

I'm having fun with the story. Burst out laughing when Trunks introduced the original Time Patroller and all that guy did was grin like an idiot.

I liked the bit in the intro movie where they showed what *not* to do.. "Don't change the past!" *puts a big 'X' over Trunks*

Vic_Viper

OeFi75G.png

Loving the game lol

Looks great bro! Really like some of these custom characters.

Is the Z sword an item you find or is it part of the character creator? Can it be taken off whenever? Also do you pick a name or does it just use your PSN name? Which appears above your head online?

About to pick this up in a few, cant wait!

Revven

No word on the tao pai pai vehicle.

Black will be purchasable at another date. (don't buy him, it's a Goku costume, wait for the proper DLC)

And no idea for Trunks yet.

Hopefully he IS in the base game.

Future Trunks from Super is in the base game, he's just an early unlock if you got the Deluxe Edition of the game. You unlock him via the Dragon Balls.

Is there a mentor system like the first game? If so, if you play using the Japanese voices, does it have subs during all parts of the game? I remember during the stats screen after a battle, there were no subtitles during the stat screen and I had no idea what was going on.

The mentor system is a bit different this time around. You can still select someone to be your main mentor but it doesn't prevent you from interacting with the other mentors and still doing their training stuff. In addition, all mentors stay in the same location that you find them in; with the exception of the one you set as your main who apparently moves to where the Academy is located. No more RNG mentors.

Finally, no, they still do not subtitle the entire game when you have Japanese voices on. So, no subtitles during stat screen at the end of quests or when you win/lose battles (or at the start of battles).

Chille

Looks great bro! Really like some of these custom characters.

Is the Z sword an item you find or is it part of the character creator? Can it be taken off whenever? Also do you pick a name or does it just use your PSN name? Which appears above your head online?

About to pick this up in a few, cant wait!

Z sword is an accessory if I remember right, and you can name your character whatever you feel like!

Time for Super Maijin God Super Saiyan to show off his moves online
Cvn-Dw4WcAA3u9D.jpg

Vex_

Banned
is this the same netcode as XV1?

Anyone try online battles yet?

A lot of my resets in XV1 were not possible online (videl, human CaC step cancel combos... etc etc) due to inherent latency. They worked offline which was kinda frustrating.

I am wondering if this game has those same issues. I imagine it is still too early to ask.

Oh shit, Amazon actually delivered it today when I apparently was supposed to get it Thursday. I never got a shipping notification either!

Sheppard

Future Trunks from Super is in the base game, he's just an early unlock if you got the Deluxe Edition of the game. You unlock him via the Dragon Balls.

The mentor system is a bit different this time around. You can still select someone to be your main mentor but it doesn't prevent you from interacting with the other mentors and still doing their training stuff. In addition, all mentors stay in the same location that you find them in; with the exception of the one you set as your main who apparently moves to where the Academy is located. No more RNG mentors.

Finally, no, they still do not subtitle the entire game when you have Japanese voices on. So, no subtitles during stat screen at the end of quests or when you win/lose battles (or at the start of battles).

Thanks Revven. That is disappointing.

RootCause

Yes, they did. However, to get it to be on par with the PC version of XV1 you need to tweak the brightness setting. The default brightness setting in XV2 is XV1's ugly gray filter; raising the brightness removes the gray filter.
That's great to know.

My copy won't be arriving until Thursday. :(

Vex_

Banned
Do we have to use that stupid cloud thingy as a transformation if we are humans? Or can we just use kaioken instead?

Slaythe

A lot of my resets in XV1 were not possible online (videl, human CaC step cancel combos... etc etc) due to inherent latency. They worked offline which was kinda frustrating.

I am wondering if this game has those same issues. I imagine it is still too early to ask.

It's completely revamped.

You can do whatever you do in training mode online.

Keep in mind 3 vs 3 is gonna add latency. But 1 v 1 is super smooth.

Do we have to use that stupid cloud thingy as a transformation if we are humans? Or can we just use kaioken instead?

Of course.

Vex_

Banned
It's completely revamped.

You can do whatever you do in training mode online.

Keep in mind 3 vs 3 is gonna add latency. But 1 v 1 is super smooth.

Of course.

Thanks, slay.

Netcode isn't the exact same as XV1; it's much, much better. The beta ran pretty well during actual fights but obviously I'd recommend avoiding playing anyone with 2 bars or less. Sometimes 3 bars can be a little dodgy, too, but still manageable. I didn't feel much input delay or anything when I played it.

Good to know. hmmmm...

Revven

You can use Kaioken or Unlocked Potential. You are not forced to use the Nimbus + Power Pole.

Netcode isn't the exact same as XV1; it's much, much better. The beta ran pretty well during actual fights but obviously I'd recommend avoiding playing anyone with 2 bars or less. Sometimes 3 bars can be a little dodgy, too, but still manageable. I didn't feel much input delay or anything when I played it.

Damn I wish this would unlock on Steam already. I've got a real itch to play this right now but the prequel just doesn't feel so good to play anymore. Mostly because I'm not used to the controls and skills anymore, but there's little incentive to push me back in since I can't do much but start another character and try grind out some more of those skills and clothes. It all just feels pointless with this days away and much less grinding.

McNum

Footage of a pretty savage evenly matched melee fights

Barely any special moves used in the video, hah. No time, gotta punch
It makes sense for Hit to be a close range machine.

I do wonder, if you want to play the range game, how do you keep someone like that out? I imagine you need a dodge move and burn Stamina on it since you know you'll just use it up for dodges if he's allowed to get in. That or play the melee game, but don't follow after you knock him away.

I'm also waiting for the Steam release, though. I wish it'd release sooner.

LordKasual

Banned
I came up with some really good tech for 17.

I have some Goku and 17 tech, they're my favorite characters, I'll train Trunks once I get his Super version.

But yeah in this game, when a character seems useless, they usually have a version or some non obvious thing that makes them decent.

The "limitations" mode is great, it puts almost all characters on an even ground. Beerus vs Yamcha is viable. That's great.

That turns the homing volley's damage into a decent one.

He has a new move that seems entirely useless at the moment, it's called "charged ki wave", I have no idea what it does.

How are the Androids? 17 is my favorite DBZ character but it feels like the games just never really get the androids right.

I was no fan of 18's odd moveset in XV1, and aside from 17's broken ass ultimate he had really awkward specials too. Do they have the same movesets from XV1?

Top Bottom