• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware PS3/PSV) Sorceress Trailer

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
really can't take this game seriously.

and some of these posts are downright creepy, but sadly that's to be expected in a hobby dominated by weird manchildren.

This bugs the hell out of me too. It is visually off-putting when I'm confronted with it. MMOs are relatively more popular with women than other games with similar settings (or so the numbers I've find say), but I don't know if their voice is factored into the (at times outrageous) armor discrepancy. Maybe, maybe not. Looking sexy is one thing, but there is something odd about having to look sexy while guys don't. I have to imagine someone (probably not a dude playing a girl character to look at her ass) had to be offended when they had to dress up their character (their virtual avatar) like a futuristic stripper in order to keep up with damage dealing among the fully armored dudes. It is almost metaphoric.

MMOs have crappy armor designs in general it seems. When it isn't chainmail bikini, it is clownishly huge pauldrons. One MMO I thought had fantastic armor design was the unfortunately busted FFXIV. Another unfortunate aspect is that in the process of rebuilding that game they are introducing more "fantastical" armor designs (though not really bad, like most MMOs) which happen to continue the trend in at least some instances. The "sexual dimorphism" at play that can be seen mainly in the iconic "artifact" armor Bard and Dragoon (random midriff lol) is a bit worrisome. Some of the others are perfectly fine. Maybe it is too much to ask for at least two versions of these armor sets for women (and men, why not).

As for the lack of realism, in my head I make up a rule for the game world that says: "This is like anime and they don't get hurt for being naked because of invisible plot armor magic/chi/fate-manipulation that is abstracted into the form of their "level". It is handy. It is not like "HP" makes sense either.

See this is the kind of stuff where we can all sit down and agree about the utter ridiculous designs that plague the industry. Even point out specific examples we find problematic. I just don't see it in these outlandish articles about this game or Bayo. When I played WoW I was always struck by how much middrift was exposed on the female characters and how even the fucking orcs and trolls were designed basically as human models with face paint. I'd like some ugly ass intimidating characters of a race, not some pretty girl with green face, "that's an Orc", really bro?

Skilletor

and some of these posts are downright creepy, but sadly that's to be expected in a hobby dominated by weird manchildren.

What does taking a game seriously even mean? Were you planning on going pro, organizing tourneys, and getting stream money through Dragon's Crown, but the voluptuous sorceress has you thinking such an endeavor would be foolish?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not supposed to. It's a fun romp down memory lane in fantasy art and old school gaming, not some sort of brave new vision that will set the tone for game design for years afterwards.

but sadly that's to be expected in a hobby dominated by weird manchildren.

Unnecessary.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Don't give him attention. His contribution to the thread can be boiled down to "Hey, her tits sure are big" and then calling everybody hostile or authoritative, while being extremely ignorant about the actual game. Coolio, if you really read the thread then how did you miss the many other times people posted the artist's work to point out that the sorcerer's sexualized nature is in tone with the rest of the game? If you read this thread then why did you have to ask about if the fucking hands and feet are exaggerated as well?

Or not even know the name of the goddamn game?

i addressed both those things. i feel the bosom sticks out even against all the other character art for the game and the hand and feet exaggeration isn't something apparent or purposeful but it gels with the purposefully exaggerated parts. is there any critique of the sorceresses bosom that you would respect as a matter of taste?

You were okay until you went there..
you went full White Knight..
You never go full White knight
06105229_.jpg

jon bones

What does taking a game seriously even mean? Were you planning on going pro, organizing tourneys, and getting stream money through Dragon's Crown, but the voluptuous sorceress has you thinking such an endeavor would be foolish?

i couldn't take bayonetta seriously either. i did enjoy the game engine, though. at least the art director in that didn't come out with some casual homophobia response, though.

Guess I'll add "weird manchildren" to the list.

bro have you seen some of the posts in any thread about misogyny on a gaming forum? outside of the modern GOP, i've never seen a group of people with such terrible views on women.

You were okay until you went there..
you went full White Knight..
You never go full White knight

lol keep that shit on 4chan

Time to give up video games and start reading black panther comics while watching MMA, then. Thanks for turning my life around.

god damnit HE picked his nickname AFTER me! i am the original jon bones.

you have an avatar of a transgendered person, surely you must have something to say regarding the homophobia the art director came out with?

and i still like playing video games, i just mute every single person online who isn't a real friend. that way i don't have to hear the racist, homophobic, misogynistic manchildren that dominate our hobby.

Metrotab

Banned
i addressed both those things. i feel the bosom sticks out even against all the other character art for the game and the hand and feet exaggeration isn't something apparent or purposeful but it gels with the purposefully exaggerated parts. is there any critique of the sorceresses bosom that you would respect as a matter of taste?

Anything and everything. Disliking the art is perfectly fine. It's a niche game, with a niche artstyle.

Calling it wrong is an entirely different matter however.

Risette

A Good Citizen
bro have you seen some of the posts in any thread about misogyny on a gaming forum? outside of the modern GOP, i've never seen a group of people with such terrible views on women.
So now it's "here" [this thread] to "any thread"

Dishonest attempts to save face, zzz.

Eusis

See this is the kind of stuff where we can all sit down and agree about the utter ridiculous designs that plague the industry. Even point out specific examples we find problematic. I just don't see it in these outlandish articles about this game or Bayo. When I played WoW I was always struck by how much middrift was exposed on the female characters and how even the fucking orcs and trolls were designed basically as human models with face paint. I'd like some ugly ass intimidating characters of a race, not some pretty girl with green face, "that's an Orc", really bro?
This is also what makes singling out Dragon's Crown kind of ironic, as the Amazon pretty much just looks like the female alternative to the barbarian: barely clad AND muscled to an extreme, rather than being a doll swinging around giant weapons. In its own way it's actually more progressive than quite a few games.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Anything and everything. Disliking the art is perfectly fine. It's a niche game, with a niche artstyle.

Calling it wrong is an entirely different matter however.

then you and i never had problem

i think the size is kind of an issue. they're gargantuan. the more i think about it the more i agree with the penny arcade comic. if they had a male character with a dick that big players would complain that it was weird and out of place. that said, there's nothing inherently wrong with this stylistic choice but people have the right to find it out of place without being called anti-feminist (kinda wonky how the script got flipped in this thread).

Personally, I've always liked Kamitani's artwork ( the games themselves, not so much ) and these trailers have me feeling pretty hyped. With Double Dragon and this game, hopefully the beat em' up genre will see some sort of rebirth.

Skilletor

i couldn't take bayonetta seriously either. i did enjoy the game engine, though. at least the art director in that didn't come out with some casual homophobia response, though.

Oh, Bayonetta was serious, alright. SERIOUS FUN, AMIRITE?

Just like this game will be!

This is also what makes singling out Dragon's Crown kind of ironic, as the Amazon pretty much just looks like the female alternative to the barbarian: barely clad AND muscled to an extreme, rather than being a doll swinging around giant weapons. In its own way it's actually more progressive than quite a few games.

Which, as I before, makes the criticisms of the Sorceress particularly shallow since they are not looking at the characters in aggregate and focusing solely on her.

lol keep that shit on 4chan

god damnit HE picked his nickname AFTER me! i am the original jon bones.

you have an avatar of a transgendered person, surely you must have something to say regarding the homophobia the art director came out with?

and i still like playing video games, i just mute every single person online who isn't a real friend. that way i don't have to hear the racist, homophobic, misogynistic manchildren that dominate our hobby.
You are waaaaay high up on that horse, so the manchildren aren't "weird" anymore?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Her teleport and air dash are actually pretty damn fast. Makes me think the game in general will be very fast paced when put side by side with the dwarf. Only the knight looked a bit on the slow side so far.

Coming to this thread to say pointless shit doesn't make you any better than them.

Riposte

Personally, I've always liked Kamitani's artwork ( the games themselves, not so much ) and these trailers have me feeling pretty hyped. With Double Dragon and this game, hopefully the beat em' up genre will see some sort of rebirth.

With leveling mechanics and grinding... maybe count me out. I want the game to be good though.

jon bones

Coming to this thread to say pointless shit doesn't make you any better than any of them

i'm not trying to shit on this thread, i was trying to post how i feel about the art director's comments. casual homophobia defense force is out today, so i'm getting ganged up over here.

people always want to bitch about something. First we got a game that exaggerates everything but once it exaggerates women its like some crime against humanity.

Then we have some shitaku person saying the sorceress is some how a lolicon fantasy.

And now its back to guys talking about how some women find this offensive and that is reason enough to want change.

If you want to talk about this stuff talk about it in another thread so I can avoid all the bitching that is offtopic to begin with.

Ramune

She looks fun to play as. And I'd gladly buy a good Sorcoress figure when one is available!

She''ll go great with my Princess Crown, Odin Sphere and Muramasa figures!(*Vanillaware fan)

i'm not trying to shit on this thread, i was trying to post how i feel about the art director's comments. casual homophobia defense force is out today, so i'm getting ganged up over here.

You came in here specifically to shitpost.

Giolon

You did see that he apologized right? Or do apologies not count anymore? You're damned forever if you say something you realized was wrong?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I still can't decide if I'm going Vita or PS3. Decisions, decisions.

I'm going vita for the party talk stuff that and my friends are getting it on vita too.

If you have friends to play with at home or friends getting the ps3 version though I totally recomend the ps3 version

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like how she's always holding on to her hat to keep it from being blown away by going fast. Really helps give her some life.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you think that's homophobia, you're clueless.
--

I'm buying it on PS3 because I've posted too much in this thread to not buy it.

Top Bottom