• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Since the game is CPU bound the lower resolutions are going to put more pressure on the CPU rather than the GPU.

I read that somewhere. Someone correct me if I got it wrong.

That doesn’t make any sense. Lower resolutions aren’t going to put more pressure on the CPU in a CPU bottleneck situation, it will simply make the GPU wait for data while it’s doing it’s own thing, in turn stalling frames.

But too be clear it just seems bound to the single main city, even the other populated places don’t show this and it’s not just one machine; it’s every machine and console like it just suddenly sucked 30% of all available CPU power from every machine regardless of how powerful the processor is.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That doesn’t make any sense. Lower resolutions aren’t going to put more pressure on the CPU in a CPU bottleneck situation, it will simply make the GPU wait for data while it’s doing it’s own thing, in turn stalling frames.

But too be clear it just seems bound to the single main city, even the other populated places don’t show this and it’s not just one machine; it’s every machine and console like it just suddenly sucked 30% of all available CPU power from every machine regardless of how powerful the processor is.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF
Work Vintage GIF by Offline Granny!

Ran into my first Medusa and we did not survive.

The battles in general are epic and unpredictable but sometimes things just get too crazy.

Fighting a big group of goblins and a chimera shows up then a golem wanders into the Frey and of course that isn’t enough because a troll suddenly appears. My party didn’t survive that encounter either.

The battles in general are epic and unpredictable but sometimes things just get too crazy.

Fighting a big group of goblins and a chimera shows up then a golem wanders into the Frey and of course that isn’t enough because a troll suddenly appears. My party didn’t survive that encounter either.
Yeah I just had one of my: ‘You have got to be shitting me’ battles lol.

Two armoured cyclops, during the fight an ogre pops in (actually started beating on the cyclops), got down to one ogre and one cyclops, and a mother fucking griffin shows up...ended up killing them all though but damn…think I had about 5 pawn deaths and revives.

Last edited:

Kacho

I find the dynamic difficulty engaging. Was fighting an armored cyclops, then another armored cyclops showed up which made things spicy. Barely managed to down them.

Kacho

I wonder what encounters are static vs dynamic. Someone said they encountered a Lich in a spot I encountered a Lich. But another person said they encountered a Griffin.

I just got ambushed by a drake and he said “show me your power, Arisen” before showing I was not prepared. Took effort to deaggro the mfer. What a game.

I was at a ruin in Batahl full of golems. As I was fighting the last one, a griffin swooped down and it turned into a three-way brawl. I had spent most of today crossing the desert from the Checkpoint Rest Town, and after fighting the Griffin by climbing on it as it flew through the air, I took it down to the ground... Back at the checkpoint gate, on the Batahl side.

I wasn't even mad, the fight was amazing. I LOVE this game! This is the first game for years not made by Nintendo or FROM I have been so engrossed in.
This is my GOTY so far. Shadow of the Erdtree will need to be extra special to top this!

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Lol I take a cart ride from one point to another,doze off to fast travel,it gets intrerupted by an Ogre and a pack of Goblins,I deal with them quickly,get back in the cart,and as I prepare to doze off again the cart starts rushing and from the bushes to the side a Minotaur is charging through straight into the cart and destroys it 😂 This game ❤️

ssringo

So, I uh... tried to kill the sphinx. Was it a big mistake?
Since you said "tried" the answer is yes.

Killing her is part of the riddle game you play with her. You can kill her outright at any point if you're capable of doing so but by completing her riddles you get items and a specific one can be used to kill her easy. Regardless of how you kill her she drops the only key to the big chest behind her.

IAmRei

Out of curiosity I decided to look at the MTX and from what I can see in game, I can't find where you'd even spend/use them aside from the wakestones which would no doubt go into your inventory, for the amount of people complaining and causing uproar over them, they not only don't throw them in your face, they barely reference them in game, much like DMCV and RE
Also in MHR and MHW. Geez, if people recall, tales of arise also full of them. People got mad easily and not research by their own, just hate and hate. I preach to a weeb who complain about it in my workplace.

SCB3

Also in MHR and MHW. Geez, if people recall, tales of arise also full of them. People got mad easily and not research by their own, just hate and hate. I preach to a weeb who complain about it in my workplace.
Monster hunter is far more in your face about it as well

MastAndo

I felt like the game got off to a bit of a slow start for me, but I'm definitely warming up to it. I never played the first one, so the lack of any sort of lock-on was a bit disorienting at first. Playing as a thief, I felt like I was whiffing on too many of my slash attempts, though I'm getting more accustomed to it after spending more time with the game. I still don't think I'll ever prefer it to a lock on option, but combat is getting more enjoyable as my character strengthens.

I know some have complained about how chatty the pawns are, but I love it. I was happy to hoof it back to Vernworth by choice from pretty far just because I'm enjoying the sense of camaraderie and adventure as a group. It makes the game feel more alive than most open world games. Maybe I haven't played long enough to get tired of them, but I'm enjoying them a whole lot right now, even when they're being clingy;

VQ0fpFJ.png

Now if I could just stop tinkering with settings and accept that the framerate will be all over the place no matter what I do, I'd be all set.

DavidGzz

After 60+ hours I finally see the Mystic Spearhand class. Best class in any game. I didn't think I could like anything more than the fighter but Jesus, it's cool. I'm sure you can unlock this class super early; I just never did the quest before. I am super over leveled for the quest where I unlocked it.

Methos#1975

After 60+ hours I finally see the Mystic Spearhand class. Best class in any game. I didn't think I could like anything more than the fighter but Jesus, it's cool. I'm sure you can unlock this class super early; I just never did the quest before. I am super over leveled for the quest where I unlocked it.
Yeah it's my favorite class though I'm using Warfarer but only with mystic spearhand skills so I can use better armour.. I mean skimpier lol

SCB3

So Wilhelmina unlocks some kinks doesn't she?

Also, this may be a personal thing, but having 2 Stealth missions almost back to back inn the same area is weird, then a 3rd one in a tower next to the palace, if you're not a thief its a bit trickier

Madflavor

Mortismal put out a whopper of a 100% review

He echoes a lot of my thoughts. Right now mine are summed up as DD2 being an incredibly fun 7/10 game. This game is hard, and I mean HARD carried by its combat. All other elements of it, the music, the story, roleplay mechanics, the exploration, and side content, range from bad to serviceable.

It is a game that has moments where it absolutely shines, with long stretches of mediocrity in between. To be fair it’s definitely holding my attention and I am having fun. But it’s a frustrating experience for me because what I see is a fun but very flawed game, that could’ve been one of the GOATs. It’s like Itsuno didn’t learn anything in the 12 years since DD1.

Flabagast

I am under the impression reviews might have overhyped it a little, players impressions do not seem to be as glowing as those 10/10

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I finally got around to starting the game last night, but had too much to drink and kept nodding off. A buddy of mine brought back a ton of mixed cocktail pouches from Puerto Rico, and the wife and I got nice and sauced after the kids went to bed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd say I'm disappointed too since the game could have been much, much more and much better if they had went with a bigger scope (more enemies and actual dungeons) and a the game had better difficulty balancing. DD2 feels just like DD1 but bigger, with the same strong points and the same flaws as it's predecessor.

It's a very, very fun game to play through and it's kept me hooked for hours on end, moatly thanks to how good the combat feels and how fun it is to explore the world, but the thought of "this could be better" keeps lingering in the back of mind while playing.

I think I'm still kinda far to beating the game but, if DD1 is the "best 7/10 you'll ever play", then DD2 is the "best 8/10 you'll ever play". Which is fine, but the thing is, me and many others see the potential in DD to be one of the best games ever, but this is not.

I wonder what'll happen with the DLC. I've lost faith in Itsuno, but if the DLC is taken care of by a different time like with Dark Arisen, then they might be able to turn this very cool but flawed game into something even more special.

Mossybrew

I am under the impression reviews might have overhyped it a little
Yup. Honeymoon period is also wearing off and a lot of players are acknowledging the game isn't perfect.
It is a game that has moments where it absolutely shines, with long stretches of mediocrity in between.
Good way to put it. There's certainly nothing outright bad about the game, and I do enjoy it's unique vibe, but there is a lot about it outside of certain key aspects that is fairly generic.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Holy fucking shit....

Everywhere you go for this game the only talk is about performance...I wanted to check the review thread again to ask some question about music in the game and all they do is talk about framerates...WTF is wrong with you people??? There's literally a thread dedicated to Capcom adressing the performance of the game,would you kindly go there if performance is all you care about?

Some of us are curious about other aspects of the game,you know...the stuff that makes for the other 90% of the experience like world,characters,story,music,combat...

I was curious about the music in this game,I saw one review mention the music isn't as memorable as the first game and that has me concerned a bit as I loved the music and subtle cues in Dark Arisen.Especially the main theme.

But fuck that,caring about the actual game,DD2 is all about that FRAMERATE!
Excited Ric Flair GIF
Ric Flair Wrestling GIF by WWE

Because IT DOESN'T MATTER if it's 30 fps, 60 fps, or even 120 fps... The Nature Boy is gonna play them all baby

GymWolf

Game has emergent gameplay so I suppose onus is on player to have fun.

Its quiet different from say, Final Fantasy Rebirth where they serve you everything on a platter.

It’s obviously not going to be for everyone.
Nah, you can't spin legit problems of the game with the emergent gameplay narrative.

If anything, the emergent gameplay is why people is ok with dealing with other less well made aspects, not a cause of malcontent.

And tbh, a lot of open world games have emergent gameplay, it's kinda of a thing in the genre to have chaos that involve the protagonist, npcs and enemies fighting each other and creating chaos and funny situations, the pawns interaction are the only unique thing (and they are still highly useful, extremely chatty party members at the end of the day).

Last edited:
Nah, you can't spin legit problems of the game with the emergent gameplay narrative.

If anything, the emergent gameplay is why people is ok with dealing with other less well made aspects, not a cause of malcontent.
I get it.

Am still waiting for some patches before I begin. It might have some issues.

But keep in mind the sort of game this is before jumping in.

FeralEcho

After 30+ hours of playtime and not even getting out of Vermund yet I can already say I love this game more than DD Dark Arisen and I platinumed that game twice,both on PS3 and PS4 but this is the most immersed I've been in a game world since Witcher 3.

The game has an incredible sense of scale to the landscape,you genuinely feel like you belong in this world, there's no long stretches of empty fields to ride with your horse in like in most open world games, there's so much verticality in the world that it feels like a From Software game where everything connects beautifully. And the game can look absolutely incredible at times,depending on the time of day and location.

Getting out of a dark cave as the light blinds your sight only to reveal a mountainside stretching as far as the eye can see as an entire plain with various levels of elevation full of bushes,grass,trees and rivers fills the screen will never get old ❤️

I also absolutely love how much care they put in recreating armors and weapons from the first game.They all look so amazing and it's a treat to go out exploring and seeing a chest always hoping you'll get some rare piece of equipment,the customization looks so good in this game.

FeralEcho

Yeah that phrase keeps being used but I haven't seen any particularly special "emergent gameplay" here.
I don't know man...getting in a cart to fast travel and being intrerupted halfway through the ride by an ogre attack and a pack of goblins,dispatching them then as soon as you get back into the cart getting ambushed from the bushes by a charging minotaur destroying the cart in the process seems pretty emergent to me and I've yet to see some shit like this happen in any other game.

Mossybrew

I don't know man...getting in a cart to fast travel and being intrerupted halfway through the ride by an ogre attack and a pack of goblins,dispatching them then as soon as you get back into the cart getting ambushed from the bushes by a charging minotaur destroying the cart in the process seems pretty emergent to me and I've yet to see some shit like this happen in any other game.
That's just a random encounter though, that kind of stuff is in all kinds of games. Because you or your cart can randomly be attacked by enemies that's suddenly "emergent" gameplay? I'm starting to think it's kind of a meaningless term.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
After 30+ hours of playtime and not even getting out of Vermund yet I can already say I love this game more than DD Dark Arisen and I platinumed that game twice,both on PS3 and PS4 but this is the most immersed I've been in a game world since Witcher 3.

The game has an incredible sense of scale to the landscape,you genuinely feel like you belong in this world, there's no long stretches of empty fields to ride with your horse in like in most open world games, there's so much verticality in the world that it feels like a From Software game where everything connects beautifully. And the game can look absolutely incredible at times,depending on the time of day and location.

Getting out of a dark cave as the light blinds your sight only to reveal a mountainside stretching as far as the eye can see as an entire plain with various levels of elevation full of bushes,grass,trees and rivers fills the screen will never get old ❤️

I also absolutely love how much care they put in recreating armors and weapons from the first game.They all look so amazing and it's a treat to go out exploring and seeing a chest always hoping you'll get some rare piece of equipment,the customization looks so good in this game.
DD2 might have the best open world ever when it comes to it's level design, it's just so fun to explore.

I think I have like 15 ferrystones or more, I just refuse to fast travel lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He echoes a lot of my thoughts. Right now mine are summed up as DD2 being an incredibly fun 7/10 game. This game is hard, and I mean HARD carried by its combat. All other elements of it, the music, the story, roleplay mechanics, the exploration, and side content, range from bad to serviceable.

It is a game that has moments where it absolutely shines, with long stretches of mediocrity in between. To be fair it’s definitely holding my attention and I am having fun. But it’s a frustrating experience for me because what I see is a fun but very flawed game, that could’ve been one of the GOATs. It’s like Itsuno didn’t learn anything in the 12 years since DD1.

I agree with him on some points, but there are a few notable omissions there which make me wonder how complete his "100%" actually was.

Similarly I wonder whether he actually played the release version of the original, and not the Dark Arisen version which not only added in the Bitterblack Isle expansion, but a lot of interstitial DLC's as well. People seem to have forgotten those packs of Seeker's tokens fetch-quests they were hawking on top of the other MTX.

FeralEcho

That's just a random encounter though, that kind of stuff is in all kinds of games. Because you or your cart can randomly be attacked by enemies that's suddenly "emergent" gameplay? I'm starting to think it's kind of a meaningless term.
When one random thing has consequences that lead to another thing and then to another thing and so on... that's emergent...

Top Bottom