• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

But man, an action rpg without any real characters or story, its hard to invest in. The player character is a void, nothing there. Pawns you party with, same, just stat sticks that voice inane and repetitive dialogue. Story is a bare bones mindless coat rack to hang the action on. How are people ok with this?
To expand on your tastes I was hoping you can answer a few questions:

• What were you expecting the game to be?
  • What were you personally hoping this game would be?
  • What other Capcom games have you played?
  • Have you enjoyed games like soulslikes or old school games like Castlevania NES, Zelda NES, etc. where the gameplay takes precedent over story?
  • Do you consider good gameplay as good of an investment as storytelling?
  • If so, what makes this game a different case for you than the listed games above?
This post isn’t a gotcha attempt. I just want to know how an individual who was looking for well written story/characters happened to choose this game to play.

Exentryk

GgYjRLP.jpg

GbZxMd2.jpg

IAmRei

I discovered Thief. It's becoming difficult to want to play any other class. Formless Feint and high stamina makes you feel invincible. Makes encounters pretty trivial. Skillset pretty much has an answer for every situation. Mega fun too.

Mobility, Ensnare, ability to steal items, sneak attacks, invuln, pin into execute attacks. Lots of work went into DD2 Assassin class.

Between the Melees I think it's a toss up between Warrior and Thief. Spearhand has the cool factor and Bubble Shield but it seems underwhelming compared to others. Maybe I need to lab it some more but other then the Sith Lord novelty it wears off pretty quick.
kind of agree, i put down thief for next cycle, i played for a while, and rocking solid class ... if not kind of OP

nemiroff

Gold Member
Who else thinks this suffers from Far Cry 5 disorder? That would be throwing constant enemy encounters at the player instead of giving us some down time to just explore and take in our surroundings
That's what I wrote in the Capcom survey about the game. I hope everyone did the same.

The game is so damn close to being a GOAT, but at the same time so painfully far away from it..

They need to tone encounters down to make it less stupid predictable, and instead make exploration more "mystic", inject a sense of rare wonder, even more of the esoteric sort. Put a few fantastical set pieces around the corner instead of the same fucking enemies over and over and over and over again.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finally reached the endgame!

I liked the dragon fight, very reminiscent of the one in DD1, a bit more polished and cool looking ofc although I missed the chase and the tower scene from DD1. Loved when after climbing the dragon he decides to fly high while asking if you are not afraid.
Story was fine I guess. Both games have interesting ideas but are delivered kinda bad and in a rushed way. Loved the moment when you realize that the shrine that comes out from the sea is actually Gran Soren.

As I said before I have mixed feelings with the game. It could have been much more than what it is, had it a better balance/difficulty, some big dungeons to explore and specially, more enemy variety. Because of all of this DD2 feels like another go at DD1 instead of an actual sequel. Wonder how they'll approach the DLC, it very well could fix all those issues.

But issues aside, I had a ton of fun. The combat feels amazing, and it's a visual treat both against big enemies or spell-casting ones. Exploring the world is very fun too, and it kind of reminds me of SMT V when it comes to exploring every nook and cranny looking for chests, caves and seeker tokens. It also helps that the game has many beautiful areas. The sidequests were fine too, some of them a bit too simple but others were cooler, letting you finish them in multiple different ways thanks to some of the game's mechanics.

Another thing I've loved is the music. Sure it's different from DD1's but it's still very good, specially the battle / boss themes.

Overall, a bit disappointed but still quite happy with the game. It's been years since I was hooked like this with a videogame, I've put in 130 hours since it's release already. :goog_relieved:

Here's my pawn btw, in case someone want's a Warrior in their team:

RSOTjC2.png

DavidGzz

I beat the game, no idea if I got the good ending or not but IDC, already starting a fresh new game. I loved it. Going female and starting as an archer now. I think I clocked 100 hours on the first playthrough. Explored and found all I could without a guide. I may try to get all the coins on my second playthrough.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Came to the end of Act Two......

And came up with the mini-boss fight against Raghnall. Killed me in two seconds. Not sure what a lone sorcerer is supposed to do here. A bit weird to change suddenly from team based combat to a one on one boss fight. Decided I didn't really want to jump into act three anyway so loaded up from last Inn save.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Folks. Give me some starter tips as I am delving into this now.

What's everyone's preferred starting class? I'm thinking of being the vanilla bitch and starting a warrior class equivalent and keeping my main pawn or two as a mage.

Also, how easy are rift crystals to come across? I have absolutely no shame in spending $2.99 to get more rift crystals to be able to summon better pawns earlier :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

What's everyone's preferred starting class? I'm thinking of being the vanilla bitch and starting a warrior class equivalent and keeping my main pawn or two as a mage.

Also, how easy are rift crystals to come across? I have absolutely no shame in spending $2.99 to get more rift crystals to be able to summon better pawns earlier :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Rift crystals are every where. Don’t bother.

Start with fighter class and make your way to the capital before exploring too much. That’s where you get to acquire skills that will make fighter a lot more fun and op.

And yes main pawn should be a made. I have two mages. And one archer.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I think I would have start as fighter if I started over again to get that inventory perk at level 6.

I use the ox carts a good bit but they won't let you travel across the map in a heartbeat. There are only three Portcrystals in the game. Sacred Arbor, Vernworth and Harve village. You can buy more but you have to go where you want to place them. You still have to have ferrystones to actually travel there. Not worth the hassel to me. ox carts work fine

Majukun

certain locations seems too big for their own good...the capital castle is a maze of room and corridors with very little to actually find in it

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Who else thinks this suffers from Far Cry 5 disorder? That would be throwing constant enemy encounters at the player instead of giving us some down time to just explore and take in our surroundings
This is a magical world where leaving a settlement is super dangerous. I think the encounters from creatures makes 100% sense for this game. Journeying in this world is not supposed to be peaceful and pleasant. That’s not this game.

Topher

Gold Member
This is a magical world where leaving a settlement is super dangerous. I think the encounters from creatures makes 100% sense for this game. Journeying in this world is not supposed to be peaceful and pleasant. That’s not this game.

Yeah, but F Feel Like I'm On 42 is right that this game doesn't invite you to explore very much. Most of your time will be fighting through enemies rather than taking in any sites. I've noticed I tend to stick to the roads and not venture off the beaten path whereas in games like Skyrim, I'd explore a bit more. Sure.....that's not this game, but sometimes I wish it were.

On that subject......has anyone explored this massive empty area in the middle of Vermund?

9PYTFF7.jpeg

Last edited:

SCB3

And after 50 hours this week, I think I’m done, even at level 45 with pawns of a similar level and skill, I’m steamrolling everything except the Drakes who seem to have a lot of bullshit stunlocking attacks and have you as the priority for some reason (im an archer, im not even close to them)

It’s a good game and I have enjoyed parts but I’m just bored of it, the world isn’t interesting enough imo and that lack of any loot, not just gear but lore hurts it, I think I’ve gave the game a fair shot and yep, I just don’t enjoy it as much as others and that’s fine

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, but F Feel Like I'm On 42 is right that this game doesn't invite you to explore very much. Most of your time will be fighting through enemies rather than taking in any sites. I've noticed I tend to stick to the roads and not venture off the beaten path whereas in games like Skyrim, I'd explore a bit more. Sure.....that's not this game, but sometimes I wish it were.

On that subject......has anyone explored this massive empty area in the middle of Vermund?

9PYTFF7.jpeg
I feel like I’m exploring a ton, off the beaten path. I mentioned it a few days ago, but it always feels like the game rewards you for exploring with chests or items to pick up. And obviously there’s the bigger enemies like ogres, Minotaurs or chimeras.

And nah, I haven’t explored the area you mentioned.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
And after 50 hours this week, I think I’m done, even at level 45 with pawns of a similar level and skill, I’m steamrolling everything except the Drakes who seem to have a lot of bullshit stunlocking attacks and have you as the priority for some reason (im an archer, im not even close to them)

It’s a good game and I have enjoyed parts but I’m just bored of it, the world isn’t interesting enough imo and that lack of any loot, not just gear but lore hurts it, I think I’ve gave the game a fair shot and yep, I just don’t enjoy it as much as others and that’s fine
Not for everyone. Do you like the Monster Hunter series?

adamsapple

Ah shit......I misread adamsapple adamsapple . I thought you were talking about fast travel crystals. I've got thousands in RC right now so really see little point in spending money on that.

Yeah that post was specifically for RC but I wouldn't mind more fast travel points across the world either lol, I still remember lugging around the portcrystals in the first game. (or rather letting my pawns carry all the heavy shit)

Exentryk

I just did a loop around trying to see if we can enter that central area north of Vermund. But didn't find a way. Did hit an invisible wall as well, so guessing it's not meant to be explorable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Top tip: Make a note of exactly where you found your first seeker's token. You'll regret it if you don't.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, overall it's disappointing. The storytelling is pure skyrim/wrpg crap of two people talking. This aint a PS3 game. I dont know why Mass effect is still the only WRPG to get storytelling right. The way they progress the main campaign is equally stupid. Like half a dozen stealth sections. Why? You have a great combat system, use it in the story missions. Set up a clever main mission scenario where you get to use the game's systems.

I feel like Japanese devs have lost their way trying to chase Western design sensibilities. JRPG storytelling isnt perfect as FF7 Rebirth shows but you dont have to go full retard/WRPG where two people sit around and only one person speaks with zero production values. You dont have to follow the ubisoft style open world. It sucks. No one likes it. it's why ubisoft open world games are so maligned nowadays. At least sony mitigates that by adding some decent storytelling, but even their open world games suffer from the same bloat.

I could rely on Japanese devs in the past to deliver tight and cohesive mission design and levels, but not anymore. they now suffer from the same issues as western games. Elden Ring, FF16, Forspoken, FF7 rebirth, and now this game. I bet Rise of Ronin is the same. Not all games need to be open world. And if you want to make open world games, make them different from ubisoft games. Do something different instead of copying and pasting western design.

I think GOW's Crater level is what everyone should be following. Open world that feels dynamic with carefully crafted encounters no matter where you decide to go. Thats a great 5 hour level thats better than any other open world area in the game full of checklist puzzles, mini bosses and treasures. or do something like Zelda ToTK where physics are incorporated into every aspect of the mission design and everything feels new and fresh despite being set in the same ubisoft open world. this feels very ps3 era AC and im done no matter how great the combat engine is.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
adamsapple adamsapple

Here’s a tip that I wish I knew sooner. Camping kits aren’t exactly a consumable item. They can be used over and over, until destroyed by enemies. But that has yet to happen to me. So long as you clear the area before you make camp. I say this, because I started stockpiling them, and having my pawns carry a few. They are quite heavy. I don’t think you’ll ever need more than 2 divided between your pawns.

Oh, and make sure to remove all the items from pawns before dismissing them.

Freeman76

adamsapple adamsapple

Here’s a tip that I wish I knew sooner. Camping kits aren’t exactly a consumable item. They can be used over and over, until destroyed by enemies. But that has yet to happen to me. So long as you clear the area before you make camp. I say this, because I started stockpiling them, and having my pawns carry a few. They are quite heavy. I don’t think you’ll ever need more than 2 divided between your pawns.

Oh, and make sure to remove all the items from pawns before dismissing them.
Dont think you need to remove items from pawns im sure it all goes into storage if they are dismissed

SantaC

The way they progress the main campaign is equally stupid. Like half a dozen stealth sections. Why? You have a great combat system, use it in the story missions. Set up a clever main mission scenario where you get to use the game's systems.
I am so tired of infiltrating the same castle a billion times.

Think I'm done until some DLC. Got the full ending and while there was a great oh shit moment when you realise the link to the first game the endgame itself is way too easy compared to the Everfall - maybe I'm just better at games than when I played DD1 but I breezed through without resting and with maybe 10% of my healthbar gone. I'm not some hardcore action RPG guy so people who are will have zero challenge.

The combat is amazing at the start and still great fun at the end but the more you level the more any challenge disappears.

Some really odd design choices like:
-Stealth missions with no stealth mechanics
-A laughable romance thing even worse than the first game (my beloved was apparently some dude I interacted with twice)
-A story that just ends unceremoniously with characters built up just to be totally ignored
-Enemy spam all over the map
-A technical mess (played on PC which was tolerable but tried the PS5 version and, jesus, I have no idea how people are managing to play with the awful frame pacing and input lag at ~30fps or unlocked FPS all outside of VRR window)
-The 1000 unique NPC stuff would maybe hold up in court but 99% of them either say nothing of note or tell you to fuck off even if you kill and revive them - feels really bare bones even compared to older Bethesda games like Morrowind or Oblivion

Still, despite all that, I had a great time and will 100% be there day one when new content comes. Would love more riddles especially - great stuff if you don't use a guide.

adamsapple

Goddamn the simple act of giving 3 potatoes to this fucking guard is more complicated than I thought lol, the menu navigation is weird and cumbersome.

Also, the game desperately needs a verbosity toggle for the pawns.

"ARISEN IT'S FUCKING USELESS IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW ME CAUES I KNOW WHERE THE INGREDIENTS ARE"

Season 5 Shut Up GIF by Friends

Topher

Gold Member
Just realized that DD1 had 6 skills and DD2 4 skills max, I now understand why it feels a bit less flexible for sorcerer / mage builds.

I don't get why they didn't tied other skills to a trigger button. Either that or make it easier to change skills out so you don't have to find a campsite to try them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just realized that DD1 had 6 skills and DD2 4 skills max, I now understand why it feels a bit less flexible for sorcerer / mage builds.
This is correct. I feel like the RB skills could easily be axed in favor of 6 skills or just change the RB action into a weapon skill itself so you have 8 skills to use and make each Vocation that versatile.

Top Bottom