• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Goli

I was like totally super duper excited for this game, so as soon as I came home I downloaded the demo... and now I'm like totally super duper disappointed! I find the battle system quite bland, and the quests in the demo are so... unrewarding? I can't quite find the word but I feel as if nothing had happened. Unless there's another demo with a bit more content, and one that's presented like it is in the actual full game, I don't see myself getting this, at least not at launch.
EDIT: Also it runs terribly on PS3. I do kind of still want to get it for one reason... it gives me huge, HUGE Nier vibes.

sleepykyo

The frame rate on the PS3 is pretty rough. I expected worse, but I can't say I'm pleasantly surprised either. The game itself doesn't too bad, just a bit chaotic for my taste and the default hud is pretty cluttered.

d1rtn4p

Really loving this. It finally feels like I can enjoy JRPGs again now that there is some western influence there. I can only hope this is the future of this genre!

Ratrat

I'm starting to really like the battle system now that I found out you can roll. The attacks are way more varied than any other action rpg out there.

btw the 360 version has no screen tearing, just set the console to 720p :)
it's the same old MT Framework bug

and I find that disabling most of the hud elements the black borders are much less annoying

I mentioned this on the previous page, but this is capcoms fault for the way they made this demo. It's going to give alot of people the wrong impression about what type of game this really is. The poster just proves my point that alot of people will not walk away from this demo thinking it's an open world RPG, they will think it's a level based fantasy action game. Which is a shame because if you take the demo, in conjunction with the streams the demo will make you know if the controls feel right for you which is an important factor for people who already know alot about the game.

For people who are not following it though, this demo is going to do more harm than good I think.

mentioned this a few pages back - it's a linear action/adventure game style demo. so why would anyone unfamiliar with the game assume it's something other than a linear action/adventure game?...

i agree - no demo would've been better...

Ratrat

mentioned this a few pages back - it's a linear action/adventure game style demo. so why would anyone unfamiliar with the game assume it's something other than a linear action/adventure game?...

i agree - no demo would've been better...
Because it clearly tells you that areas are blocked for the demo maybe.

Really loving this. It finally feels like I can enjoy JRPGs again now that there is some western influence there. I can only hope this is the future of this genre!

Really loving this. It finally feels like I can enjoy WRPGs now that there is some Japanese influence there. I can only hope this is the future of this genre!

:D

RPGCrazied

It does? I found 0 issues with the PS3 version. Sure the FPS isn't 60 locked, but who the fuck cares? No tearing, thats enough for me. Run at 20 FPS for all I care.

Derrick01

Banned
The PS3 version runs worse eh? Go figure.....

Seemed to run pretty solid for me but maybe I didn't notice it since everything was moving so fast. It definitely doesn't run as bad as Dark Souls does so if you can deal with that game then you'll be good to go here.

Chimera boss on solo advice - you can stack 4 explosive barrels into the arena before the load trigger for the boss starts.

Drop the first two from the top area after you encounter the first harpy and carry them all to the arena where the Chimera boss starts.

Each barrel directly to the head does 50% damage per hit. Less damage from explosive splash if you miss.

No DF comparisons yet, getting it for 360 anyway. MT Framework.

Chimera boss on solo advice - you can stack 4 explosive barrels into the arena before the load trigger for the boss starts.

Drop the first two from the top area after you encounter the first harpy and carry them all to the arena where the Chimera boss starts.

Each barrel directly to the head does 50% damage per hit. Less damage from explosive splash if you miss.

Nice. I got it down to a sliver of health before dying. Will use this. Thanks.

Lebron

Seemed pretty cool to me. Took me a couple of plays to get the hang of the controls and mechanics, after that, it was ace.

Only downside was how short it was and the choice of battles they chose. Dropped the ball there.

Ardenyal

I'm starting to really like the battle system now that I found out you can roll.

How do you roll?

First go around was a bit too chaotic for me, but second run through of the epilogue mission was a lot more enjoyable as I spent a bit of time exploring and getting used to the controls.

Darknight

First of all, sick demo. Second, this feels very "western". How did Cap com do this game?

Now I wish you could invert y-axis ffs! I was fighting the camera more than anything :( Hope its in the full game. Also this game needed a roll button ala GOW. Sometime I want to roll out of harms way such as Griffin fight. Boo. Sucks PS3 version runs the least well.....

Jonm1010

Banned
I enjoyed it.

It probably would have been nice to get a little longer demo to get a better feel but I thought it was solid.

Will still wait on reviews and user feedback. But I do that for all games this day.

burgerdog

First of all, sick demo. Second, this feels very "western". How did Cap com do this game?

Now I wish you could invert y-axis ffs! I was fighting the camera more than anything :( Hope its in the full game. Also this game needed a roll button ala GOW. Sometime I want to roll out of harms way such as Griffin fight. Boo. Sucks PS3 version runs the least well.....

You can invert the y-axis, go back to the options and look again.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

You can change the controls from the options menu.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How do you roll?

First go around was a bit too chaotic for me, but second run through of the epilogue mission was a lot more enjoyable as I spent a bit of time exploring and getting used to the controls.

With the strider, it's a dagger skill button + x

Tain

Tried PS3 and 360 back to back. 360 runs so much smoother. Not even close.

Game itself seems cool, not 100% set on getting it day one yet, though.

Hazanko

Banned

I hate bad frame rates but it ran smooth for me. I don't know how some are getting bad frame rates. My mage was casting a lot too. I did notice a slight drop but that was walking around at the start of the prologue. It only lasted a second though. I'll see if it drops there again in a few.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cool demo, question, sorry if it's been asked, can I move the ui to the actual edge of my screen? It looks like its set up for a 4:3 screen and the ui is in about 2 inches and blocks my vision.

Cheech

Just played the demo.

Going up against Diablo 3, this game is going to be rock bottom priced by the end of May.

To say it lacks polish is too kind, but I don't want to crap on anybody's excitement. I'll keep an eye on reviews, but I'm not expecting great things.

Tenbatsu

The demo was fun, but the WHOLE TIME, all I could think of was "Man, this game would be a lot better with multiplayer". It's seriously all I could think about.
Yes! Multiplayer will certainly make this an AAA title. But they will have to remove the 'press select' to pause to use an item.

Eusis

It does? I found 0 issues with the PS3 version. Sure the FPS isn't 60 locked, but who the fuck cares? No tearing, thats enough for me. Run at 20 FPS for all I care.
Ugh, it's not as if those of us disappointed with the framerate wanted 60, I'd just want a reliable 30. Drop some damn effects (other than V-sync) if you have to, but we have more than enough power these days for good looking, 30 locked games even when they're more open.

Though I probably COULD get used to the framerate if I gave it a chance, it's not like I'm a snob for performance.

Dynamic3

It turned to night when I was fighting the Griffin and I literally could see nothing except for my character...after I equipped my lamp. lol

Cheech

Ugh, it's not as if those of us disappointed with the framerate wanted 60, I'd just want a reliable 30. Drop some damn effects (other than V-sync) if you have to, but we have more than enough power these days for good looking, 30 locked games even when they're more open.

Though I probably COULD get used to the framerate if I gave it a chance, it's not like I'm a snob for performance.

So buy the 360 version. It's not a super awesome framerate, but it's noticeably better than the PS3.

Riposte

Kotaku really wants to hate this game.

I suspect this game will get a wide range of reviews.

P.S. I totally dig the menu music by the B'z.

Can you not quickslot herbs or potions? Going in the menu to heal by items will get old fast.

It doesn't seem like it. Every single button is used, even when holding shoulder buttons. It would be really nice, but oh well.

Had a lot of fun with it, it definitely has that Monster Hunter vibe I have been craving since Tri.

Day 1 for me.
Yeah, you can totally feel the influence from the MH side of Capcom. Hell, the character editor IS the MH character editor.

Eusis

So buy the 360 version. It's not a super awesome framerate, but it's noticeably better than the PS3.
Yeah, I'm going to try the demo again on 360. I figured the PS3 version would be a shoe-in, but I guess in this case the game simply ISN'T equal on the two platforms.

Derrick01

Banned
It turned to night when I was fighting the Griffin and I literally could see nothing except for my character...after I equipped my lamp. lol

Yeah it started getting dark and I still had a whole bar to go and I was starting to get a little nervous. Luckily I was able to hang on to its back and slash for a while which took it down to about 30% and we finished it off.

bubnbob

Banned
Questions for those who have been following this game:

- Does this have equipment?
- Can I choose a class? Was the demo just very restrictive?
- Is there any form of online? I noticed some options, but I feel like this game will just have some form of consistent online, like Fable 2's orbs.

RPGCrazied

Questions for those who have been following this game:

- Does this have equipment?
- Can I choose a class? Was the demo just very restrictive?
- Is there any form of online? I noticed some options, but I feel like this game will just have some form of consistent online, like Fable 2's orbs.

The full game?

Yes
Yes
For pawns yeah, you can get other peoples and offload your own for them to use.

Top Bottom