• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Gbraga

I really want to play with at least one pawn of each class, so I guess I'll just start on the hardest available difficulty setting

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This whole 'can't support capcom anymore because of DLC fiasco's' makes me cringe. I mean, really? Because they offer exclusive outfits for streetfighter players, that don't add anything to the gameplay, at all, and gives players a more 'exclusive' feel when playing online, you refuse to buy good games that might, in the future, add extra stuff for fans, that don't add anything to the gameplay, at all?

The capcom rabbit hole runs much deeper than that. They lock completed characters on the disc, they've locked versus mode for RE5 on the disc, Dragon's Dogma already has 100 side quests as DLC(would be shocked if it wasn't disc locked), etc. etc. For people upset with this, the only thing you can do is...well, vote with your wallet.

Worth mentioning that health items will heal you up to full. Don't want another health how does it work conversation like from the face sitters club! :p

Yeah, items heal to max, which makes me imagine them being pretty expensive ingame.

Eusis

This whole 'can't support capcom anymore because of DLC fiasco's' makes me cringe. I mean, really? Because they offer exclusive outfits for streetfighter players, that don't add anything to the gameplay, at all, and gives players a more 'exclusive' feel when playing online, you refuse to buy good games that might, in the future, add extra stuff for fans, that don't add anything to the gameplay, at all?
They've started locking characters behind DLC pay gates, including about 12 character in SFxT as I understand. That's why people are becoming frustrated with Capcom, and even putting aside the "On the disc!" angle (which if it weren't would probably cause bigger problems anyway) it's disappointing to see in a fighter where people could pay and get characters that could trump yours. Alternatively, you pay only to find a character is crappy and not to your liking.

Dabanton

This game is so much fun. The controls feel good. Happy they put two scenarios in. That griffin and goblin one is amazing. I let the sun set earlier and had to defeat the beast in the dark.

This may very well be a day one game.

People aren't throwing a fit because of costumes dude.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so much fun. The controls feel good. Happy they put two scenarios in. That griffin and goblin one is amazing. I let the sun set earlier and had to defeat the beast in the dark.

This may very well be a day one game.

That griffon pulls some really cheap tactics during the night time. Swoops in from the blackness of the night, blasts my party, and flies off again. Catch the bastard on fire, though and he's an easy target.

I think I'm totally going with a magic using class in this game.

demigod

There goes 30% download lost after clicking download in background and getting timed out, fucking PSN.

Edit : N/M, it's still there, scared the crap outta me.

Mutombo

They've started locking characters behind DLC pay gates, including about 12 character in SFxT as I understand. That's why people are becoming frustrated with Capcom, and even putting aside the "On the disc!" angle (which if it weren't would probably cause bigger problems anyway) it's disappointing to see in a fighter where people could pay and get characters that could trump yours. Alternatively, you pay only to find a character is crappy and not to your liking.

Alright, fair enough.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've played the PS3 and 360 demos multiple times through and will definitely snag the 360 one, though I would have based on controller unless for some reason it performed noticably worse.

The part where the dragon ignites a bunch of stuff chugs hard on PS3 but runs fine on 360, I didn't notice any tearing in the prologue and I'm sensitive to that. On the outside area it tears around the fortress area when I panned the camera back and forth, but I didn't see any in combat and it only seemed to tear in the daytime. Both versions have the same pop in stuff, and they both have ugly color banding in the night sky.

Dabanton

I love the little warnings on the loading screen about lights you may see at night in the distance may not be friendly.

Teknoman

That griffon pulls some really cheap tactics during the night time. Swoops in from the blackness of the night, blasts my party, and flies off again. Catch the bastard on fire, though and he's an easy target.

I think I'm totally going with a magic using class in this game.

Dont forget they give you the lantern there too. It helps, but you still have to watch for shadow outlines.

EDIT: I hate to keep bringing this up, but will the widescreen sidebars be there in the retail version? It just seems odd after seeing all the other MT framework games/every other game this generation on these systems without them. Only time i've had to deal with them are certain PC games that dont support 16x10.

params7

Banned
Tried the demo. It plays/feels pretty much how I expected it to be. Demo was too limiting to give detailed impressions. I would like to play this game at some point, but I can't support Capcom anymore, especially their current gen console releases because of their business practices (inevitable DLC, etc.) I can't help to think that in half a year or whatever there will be a Dragon's Dogma: Arise Edition with all the DLC packed into one disk.

Enjoy for those who are going to take the day one plunge. I'm out.

+1

Screw Capcom. I'd rather wait for the next Souls game/Witcher 3. I might rent this though just to experience its core gameplay before it gets penetrated by a barrage of dlc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Played the 360version. Its fun, I think. But it looks really really blurry. I thought there was something wrong with my TV at first.

Coxy

character creation is really weak, very disappointing, gameplay seems fun though, will play it at some point

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
character creation is really weak, very disappointing, gameplay seems fun though, will play it at some point

Really? I was pretty impressed by the range of options.

falconzss

I'm a tad bit disappointed by the demo. I usually really love to mess around with character creators, spending quite some time on my character, but this one felt way to restricted. The demo is also way to short for this kind of game. Poor demo for what seems like a cool game.

Eusis

I'm a tad bit disappointed by the demo. I usually really love to mess around with character creators, spending quite some time on my character, but this one felt way to restricted. The demo is also way to short for this kind of game. Poor demo for what seems like a cool game.
That's what I'm suspecting, though it's also left me wanting to see if they decide to port to PC or not.

I agree it was way too short but I actually really liked the character creator, maybe because it's more limited. I usually hate character creation and can't be bothered beyond slapping new hair on a preset, but this one was actually fun to use.

The Chef

I agree it was way too short but I actually really liked the character creator, maybe because it's more limited. I usually hate character creation and can't be bothered beyond slapping new hair on a preset, but this one was actually fun to use.

I LOVE you avatar. Where did you find that?

LProtag

Man, I don't want to wait a month to finally get my hands on the full version, haha.

I made a smallish and spry dude who ended up looking a lot like Hope from FFXIII, haha. Going to make him a magick archer. My main pawn is a pretty beefy dude, probably going to be a fighter/warrior.

moozoom

I'm really anticipating this game, so the demo was too short, but so far I loved it.

The character creation is quite good I think, so far I managed to craft some hunky dudes and some funny ones too. When I realized you could fine-tune the height and position of the facial features, my pawn and main character instantly became better looking.

The default ones are a bit freaky, but I think they fit well with the D&D theme and the medieval fantasy setting. Some of the faces remind me of the illustrated characters in old paper RPG, or in the old Conan comics drawn by John Buscema. The very varied body types lead to unusual characters, and I think they've done a much better job than Skyrim with the editor.

I really hope you can have multiple character slots in the final game.

It's so frustrating to bump against that invisible wall in the field... but the griffon fight was fun. I died the first time because I panicked and I didn't use the healing items or even watch my health, but the second time it went down easily despite the night falling.
Exploring this world with the light of a lantern will be epic...

Airan

I like the concept, but it's not really much of a western Monster Hunter clone if we're talking about the big monsters - I really would've appreciated if the monsters had patterns or at least memorable attacks - it's all very 'generic' feeling at the moment, they just throw out a random attack every now and then. The SotC clinging onto monster is awesome though.

Also, massive letterboxes. Really? :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
After playing the demo through a second time, I really enjoyed it a lot more, lack of co-op notwithstanding.

I really do wish the demo showed a little of the structure of picking up and turning in quests. I also really wish they'd gone with icons for skills, rather than written words. Icons would look better, and it would be a little easier to pick the appropriate skill at a glance. Hell, the GUI is downright ugly. It looks like a pre-alpha test GUI that they never bothered to replace. I can't hide the skill GUI either, because I have a hard time remembering which of my 6 skills is on which button.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Demo is garbage in judging the game, but I wasn't too impressed. Graphics are decent to middling, but whats up with the letterboxing? Gameplay could be interesting, but it seems very geared towards being a magic user while letting your pawns tank for you. Melee doesn't feel very good, but I did like special canceling. The grab mechanic is pretty...janky actually as (if you're not careful) the camera can really fuck with you.

This demo makes the game a rental for me. May is stacked against this title for me.

I will say though, if you can't see how much co-op would enhance this game, you are delusional. Straight up bonkers. You can keep the AI assholes for single player, but this game would probably be ten times more fun with friends. What a shame.

Also a shame no PC version is in the works. It will really be hampered by the consoles.

Hazanko

Banned
Seems great! I turned off that UI crap and it looked much better! The griffin fight was easy the first time but after a few times it became hard all of a sudden and the fight became epic in the dark. I kept picking up my dwarf and throwing him at it. I kept missing though lol. Plus the frame rate seemed fine on ps3.

In the prologue quest just after going through the very first archway there's a gate with a ladder behind it. Anyone find a way to reach it, or am I gonna have to wait for the full release?

Skimming the thread, I'm a little confused.

Is it a griffon or chimera?

A griffon has a lion's body, feathered wings, and an eagle's head.

A chimera has a lion's body, goat head, snake head, lion's head, snake tail, and bat wings.

Which is it?

Skimming the thread, I'm a little confused.

Is it a griffon or chimera?

A griffon has a lion's body, feathered wings, and an eagle's head.

A chimera has a lion's body, goat head, snake head, lion's head, snake tail, and bat wings.

Which is it?

You fight them both.
(In two separate areas)

ReaperXL7

finally got to play the demo, both scenario's, and messed with the character creator for alittle while. First I really like the character creator, I don't think it's really all that limited, especially when you realize that you can adjust facial features on a detail level. I really like the height, weight, muscle, and posture adjusters, overall feels great on that end.

With the game itself, I really dig it. My only issue is that it's far too limited for a game of this scope, imo it does not do the game a ton of favors for people who don't follow game development because it really did not feel like an open world game in the demo. I dislike that your limited to two predefined classes, one for each quest. There should have been an option to play as atleast each base class, and you choose it at the beginning of the quest instead of the way they went with this.
I still hold that the Reckoning demo is the way to go for RPGs going forward. In that you were able to create your character, mess with each base class, and skills, play through the tutorial, and then spend like 45/60mins just exploring, getting into conversations, dungeon crawling, whatever you could cram into the time alloted. The Dogma demo just makes the game feel like a level based quest game, rather than a gigantic open world RPG.

I'm glad I got the demo, because knowing what i've seen in streams I'm pretty sure i'm really going to like this. I can see pretty easily how this demo could turn people off to the game though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Kind of odd ... the varying experiences here on the ps3. I've heard of chugging and frame skipping/jumping when people look around, the dragon breathes his fire, multiple baddies on the screen ect. ect. but when i play I see (mostly) none of this... particularly in the Griffon fight. Honestly hasn't really lagged down at all for me.

KingK

The demo was a pretty shitty representation of the game, I think. Didn't get to explore or anything. Combat felt alright, but nothing special. I'm still interested in the game, but I think I might wait for the inevitable bomba sale. I don't have the money to be buying many games for full price these days.

NeoUltima

Did you do the advanced settings? You can also hit square (or X) to alter things like head size, nose position/size, etc.

I don't think it's the best creator ever, but weak seams very harsh. I think any weakness comes in that there isn't really anything exotic...it's all normal human stuff.

I was able to make a character that looks exactly like me (down to the same weight and height) and a cute babe sidekick, so I'm a happy camper.

Thought the combat was fantastic, the grab mechanic fun as hell and it looked great (washed out in some areas but wonderful in others). Special mention to the FIRE effects, holy shit that stuff looks good on monsters. Feels like a way more successful way of bringing Monster Hunter to the West (faster paced, more familiar world) than anything else as well.

Kind of odd ... the varying experiences here on the ps3. I've heard of chugging and frame skipping/jumping when people look around, the dragon breathes his fire, multiple baddies on the screen ect. ect. but when i play I see (mostly) none of this... particularly in the Griffon fight. Honestly hasn't really lagged down at all for me.

Same. Binary Domain had a lot of technical complaints here on GAF as well, and I saw none of it when I played on PS3.

Has anyone noticed you can jump onto the top of one of the pillars shortly after the riftstone? There was an item up there, and I found three other items off the beaten path by climbing shit and hopping off cliffs. Game should have lots of loot hidden out of the way. Still no way to the ladder though.

EDIT: And even more out of the way loot.

KorrZ

I went in knowing people said the demo was short but jesus... it took me maybe 10 minutes to do the entire demo. Both quests. That's terrible for a game of this size, not even enough time to get used to the bizarre control scheme. That said, the combat is immensely satisfying. Jumping up on the griffons neck and stabbing it while it lifts you way up into the air, only to have your pawns light it's wings on fire and send you crashing down to the ground with it...just epic.

Is there a way to stop those little cutscene interruptions when your pawns grab an enemy? It was really annoying me... just let me fucking play I don't care that you grabbed the dude and want me to stab him. Really takes you out of the action with the frequency it was happening during the prologue.

Top Bottom