• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Sephon

On the griffon? I tried like 4 times by jumping off a rock that was above it and still caught nothing. And no, I only started spamming attacks after it felt like I was making no progress moving on top of the thing,.

I think it's a problem with directions, I usually never have any problems climbing from the tail or legs up to the center of the body. But have a hard time climbing from the center of the body to the head, might also be because the griffin is flailing heavly.

I had an awesome encounter on my 8th(ish) playthrough, my pawn called me over while the griffin were hanging in the air blasting waves of air at us.
Once I got close to her she launched me up in the air, and I managed to get a hold of the griffins leg up in the air.
I then proceeded to climb up to his back and repeatedly stab my fiery daggers into her until she caught fire, resulting in a fiery inferno tumbling into the ground.

I... freakin'... cannot... WAIT!

Hmmm, this game feels a bit sloppy and chaotic. Not buying into the GAF pre-release hype. I'll rather go for Witcher 2 EE at the moment. And I haven't even finished Dark Souls, so I'll wait how this turns out in the end.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hope you can at least get some fun out of it.

Hopefully, but life is too short to play games that are only okay.

Thankfully the game is pretty impressive even without co-op.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Truly one of the biggest missteps. How no one on the dev team saw the potential of co-op within the first 6 months of working on the game is beyond me. It seems obvious to absolutely everyone that isn't on the dev team.

I'm glad they focused on making the pawns work well in a single player context. I want to play the game alone. I'm not a huge fan of online co-op unless I'm in the same room as the people with whom I'm playing the game, or I'm playing an MMORPG.

That said, I wouldn't be against some form of online, I just don't want it to compromise the single-player experience like it did in Resident Evil 5. If they could pull off both, great, but knowing how a development process works, I'm sure one of the aspects would have suffered if they tried to do both under the same development schedule/resources.

Anteater

I'm proud to upload the first pawn I've ever made here on gaf

Pawn & Character
pawn1ojk9a.jpg
pawn2rrk9h.jpg

Share your pawn!

Combat is fairly confusing when there are spells, 3 pawns and a giant monster all being thrown around, some kind of lock-on system would be useful, though I'm sure it's just because I've been playing The Witcher 2 lately.

Confused at people mentioning all the 360 tearing... I think it saw it twice at the top of the screen running around the grand hall, honestly nothing even bothering mentioning. People just choosing to see things where they aren't is pretty common for a multiplat release so I knew it'd be bullshit going in.

Framerate is very solid. I'll download the PS3 demo later.

The outdoor environment looks REALLY good.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm glad they focused on making the pawns work well in a single player context. I want to play the game alone. I'm not a huge fan of online co-op unless I'm in the same room as the people with whom I'm playing the game, or I'm playing an MMORPG.

That said, I wouldn't be against some form of online, I just don't want it to compromise the single-player experience like it did in Resident Evil 5. If they could pull off both, great, but knowing how a development process works, I'm sure one of the aspects would have suffered if they tried to do both under the same development schedule/resources.

Things is, in real life, ALL of my friends are gamers. It's awful to tell them about the game, and then say "Yeah, but we can't play with each other because the developers are blockheads."

When you have lots of real life friends who are gamers, you tend to gravitate towards multiplayer so you can actually spend time with them on a week day.

As far as single player is concerned, I really don't care if they compromise the quality of it. I would never play it. I would be playing multiplayer with my friends all the time.

LProtag

Things is, in real life, ALL of my friends are gamers. It's awful to tell them about the game, and then say "Yeah, but we can't play with each other because the developers are blockheads."

When you have lots of real life friends who are gamers, you tend to gravitate towards multiplayer so you can actually spend time with them on a week day.

As far as single player is concerned, I really don't care if they compromise the quality of it. I would never play it. I would be playing multiplayer with my friends all the time.

You can coordinate pawn strategies with each other to make the ideal party. It's not exactly the same, but it's still a co-op experience of sorts.

Derrick01

Banned
You can coordinate pawn strategies with each other to make the ideal party. It's not exactly the same, but it's still a co-op experience of sorts.

Yeah I look at it as a co-op game but without the countless chatter in my ear and my partners move when I'm ready. It's the perfect co-op game for me :D

Unfortunately at least in the demo they still kill shit too quick for my liking. That reminds me of actual co-op too much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I've got lots of real life friends who are gamers (just about all of them), and while we all love a good co-op session in a fun game, it's not often that we can all sync up our schedules and dedicate multiple hours of a night to playing a game together. That's why I prefer single player games in general. I can play them on my own terms and in shorter bursts, which is what my weekday schedule tends to allow.

It's great that you love co-op games, but calling developers blockheads for crafting a great single player game is out of line, in my opinion. There are tons of great co-op games out there for you and your friends. You don't need to demand that every game accommodate your co-op desires. As you said, you don't care about the single player portion. Well, the developers do, and so do people like myself. We want to enjoy an awesome single player experience, and don't want it compromised by multiplayer like Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2 were.

I'm going to be playing Diablo III with my friends a ton once it's released next month. But I'm also going to be enjoying Risen 2 and Dragon's Dogma as great single-player experiences during that same period.

Boulayman

I possibly have no idea what I am doing but it really felt like a beat them all for my to be frank. LIke a strange cross between dragon age and dynasty warriors. And yah the demo was very short, I was actualkly getting excited for the dragon battle :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Well, let's just make the entire game for you then.

thetrin

It's great that you love co-op games, but calling developers blockheads for crafting a great single player game is out of line, in my opinion.

I'm not. I didn't call Rocksteady blockheads for making AA single player. I didn't call Bethesda blockheads for making Skyrim single player. The more I see and play of this game, the more it's obvious it would be a far richer, for more enjoyable game in co-op. That's all.

It's a missed opportunity.

Well, let's just make the entire game for you then.

That would be ideal. I tend to buy games geared towards my tastes. How evil of me.

You know when someone says "This game just isn't for me"? That's what they're talking about. This game wasn't made for me. That much is obvious.

I've got lots of real life friends who are gamers (just about all of them), and while we all love a good co-op session in a fun game, it's not often that we can all sync up our schedules and dedicate multiple hours of a night to playing a game together. That's why I prefer single player games in general. I can play them on my own terms and in shorter bursts, which is what my weekday schedule tends to allow.

Yeah, my situation is completely different. I live with another gamer, and we work together, so we have the exact same schedule. Our TVs are also in the same room. You can imagine why I gravitate towards co-op gaming as a result.

Elginer

Character:

i8zeL.jpg

Pawn:

q1Uqr.jpg

Demo throws you in the deep end and I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Looks beautiful though and I'm sure I'll get a grasp on it once I get the full game. Love the animation and production values are really nice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not. I didn't call Rocksteady blockheads for making AA single player. I didn't call Bethesda blockheads for making Skyrim single player. The more I see and play of this game, the more it's obvious it would be a far richer, for more enjoyable game in co-op. That's all.

It's a missed opportunity.

Because you think so? Just because you travel in a party with AI allies?

They would have to change the single-player-focused structure of the game to make the co-op enjoyable, you know? Everyone would bitch if the co-op consisted of nothing more than your friends taking control of your pawns. But if they took it further than that, they would have to change the structure of the game.

Why don't you call Bethesda blockheads? Wouldn't Skyrim be more fun to you if your friend could take control of Lydia?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That would be ideal. I tend to buy games geared towards my tastes. How evil of me.

You know when someone says "This game just isn't for me"? That's what they're talking about. This game wasn't made for me. That much is obvious.
Well, let's pick on your avatar for a moment. Ys 7 has 3 characters on the screen at once. Why'd you buy that? Can't play it with your friends. What's the difference here?

I for one am glad it doesn't have demon souls like difficulty in this game. That was a big turn off in demon souls, why I never finished it, and why I won't be getting dark souls. Didn't find that fun one bit.

Dragon's Dogma will have a lot of difficulty, especially if you stray from the designated path (which is ideal because exploration = fun).

Also, still sad to see the general consensus on Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls) is that it's "too hard". It's off-putting knowing that the game can be easy, more or less, but many people quit before they can see it happen.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Dragon's Dogma will have a lot of difficulty, especially if you stray from the designated path (which is ideal because exploration = fun).

Also, still sad to see the general consensus on Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls) is that it's "too hard". It's off-putting knowing that the game can be easy, more or less, but many people quit before they can see it happen.

I found Dark Soul's relatively easy (until I got to the single digit frame rate section and quit), but only the bosses were fun and interesting. Smashing the same group of mobs over and over again to build up for the boss/get an item, and losing that progress if you slip wasn't fun, interesting, or difficult. Just a time sink that was incredibly boring and repetitive.

I hate the trend of AI partners. Either make it single player (my wish) or co-op. This middle ground of shitty AI teammates has been awful in basically everything.

thetrin

Because you think so? Just because you travel in a party with AI allies?

They would have to change the single-player-focused structure of the game to make the co-op enjoyable, you know? Everyone would bitch if the co-op consisted of nothing more than your friends taking control of your pawns. But if they took it further than that, they would have to change the structure of the game.

Why don't you call Bethesda blockheads? Wouldn't Skyrim be more fun to you if your friend could take control of Lydia?

Because the combat in DD requires constant teamwork and synergy between you and your pawns. Skyrim's partner AI consists of following you, and attacking things that threaten it. It's not exactly robust, and the whole world is balanced to be played solo. I don't need to rely on my partner to get things done. I can dismiss them all and I have total control over my situation. That simply isn't the case with DD. You rely on the spells and abilities of your teammates to take down large creatures. The demo shows that that much is obvious.

I don't know why you guys are all getting rabid over something I'm saying. The game WOULD be better with co-op. You don't have to agree with me, and if you don't, that's super cool, but my opinion still stands: the lack of co-op is probably why I won't buy the game. I don't like having to rely on AI to get specific things done (unless I can take over direct control, which I cannot).

Well, let's pick on your avatar for a moment. Ys 7 has 3 characters on the screen at once. Why'd you buy that? Can't play it with your friends. What's the difference here?

You can take direct control of any of them when you need to.

Also, my avatar is from Oath of Felghana, which only has one character. The entire world is balanced for a single character. I don't have to rely on any AI teammates ever.

This isn't rocket science, guys.

Teknoman

With drops of being a WRPG meets Monster Hunter game, most people wanted MP, thats all.

Anteater

ahahaha, the griffin just hover above ground struggling to fly if you grab on to it on the heaviest character you could make

Karak

Question about Pawns.
What if I have one named Merlin and so does someone else...how does it handle that. Just ignores it or does it append something stupid to the name?

thetrin

That would be an excuse if Capcom didn't say from the very start that this was a single player game.

They were actually pretty cagey about that when they first talked about the game way back when it was first announced. In fact, if you watch Maximillion's latest video about DD, he says that back when Capcom first showed him the game, he was like "This is great. So, how many players will it support?"

A LOT of people just assumed it would be co-op, because the teamwork required would shine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because the combat in DD requires constant teamwork and synergy between you and your pawns. Skyrim's partner AI consists of following you, and attacking things that threaten it. It's not exactly robust, and the whole world is balanced to be played solo. I don't need to rely on my partner to get things done. I can dismiss them all and I have total control over my situation. That simply isn't the case with DD. You rely on the spells and abilities of your teammates to take down large creatures. The demo shows that that much is obvious.

I don't know why you guys are all getting rabid over something I'm saying. The game WOULD be better with co-op. You don't have to agree with me, and if you don't, that's super cool, but my opinion still stands: the lack of co-op is probably why I won't buy the game. I don't like having to rely on AI to get specific things done (unless I can take over direct control, which I cannot).

You can't be sure of that, and that's the crux of the matter. Combat aside, they'd have to completely change how the story/quest stuff works to accommodate a meaningful co-op experience. Otherwise it would just be something basic like letting your friends drop in and take control of your pawns. All progress would be tied to your specific game, and your friends would just be along for the ride.

Anyway, we can't be sure how the game would have turned out if it was designed with co-op in mind. I do know, however, that Capcom's previous attempts at this (Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, and hell, the entire Monster Hunter series) didn't appeal to me at all, so I have reason to believe that Dragon's Dogma wouldn't either had they pursued the co-op path. The fact that they worked hard to make a great single-player experience is one of the things that has me so interested in this game.

It's unfortunate that you don't want to buy it because of this, but I'm not going to let it bother me. I just hope you realize that your opinion that co-op would make the game better is just that: your opinion. Stating it as if it's a fact doesn't change that it's simply your opinion.

A LOT of people just assumed it would be co-op

As did I when I first saw it. I felt sad, because I thought the game looked awesome, but I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it at my leisure. It wasn't until I found out that those pawns were all AI controlled and they had designed the game to be a single player experience from the ground up that I got excited. I could rest at ease knowing it wouldn't be another bullshit compromised single-player experience like Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2.

thetrin

It's unfortunate that you don't want to buy it because of this, but I'm not going to let it bother me. I just hope you realize that your opinion that co-op would make the game better is just that: your opinion. Stating it as if it's a fact doesn't change that it's simply your opinion.

Of course it's my opinion. It's an internet forum. What else am I posting besides my opinion?

And let me be clear, I was very excited for the game despite its bent towards single player. After playing the demo, though, the AI simply does not impress me. THAT is why I probably won't buy the game.

redhot_

Damn that was a short demo for the size. I liked it but i am more curious about the content in the game. Nothings worse then an empty open world game with little re-playability.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They were actually pretty cagey about that when they first talked about the game way back when it was first announced. In fact, if you watch Maximillion's latest video about DD, he says that back when Capcom first showed the game, he was like "This is great. So, how many players will it support?"

A LOT of people just assumed it would be co-op, because the teamwork required would shine.

Yeah, and he said that they instantly said back to him that it was one player. It's not Capcom's fault if people assume something about the game that is not true.

thetrin

Yeah, and he said that they instantly said back to him that it was one player. It's not Capcom's fault if people assume something about the game that is not true.

I never assumed it was co-op after it was announced it was single player, nor has anyone in this thread admitted to such things.

I'm sorry that you're so offended by my opinion of this game. I'm not entirely sure what I did to make you so angry, but I hope that in time, wounds can heal, and we can move on to arguing about something else inconsequential and petty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that was a short demo for the size. I liked it but i am more curious about the content in the game. Nothings worse then an empty open world game with little re-playability.

From the videos I've seen, the sandbox nature of the combat looks like it will provide a ton of entertainment and replayability for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never assumed it was co-op after it was announced it was single player, nor has anyone in this thread admitted to such things.

I'm sorry that you're so offended by my opinion of this game. I'm not entirely sure what I did to make you so angry, but I hope that in time, wounds can heal, and we can move on to arguing about something else inconsequential and petty.

How exactly am I angry? I'm simply stating that it is what it is. People can assume things, but that doesn't make it true.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And it's not the customers fault if Capcom don't offer a requested feature.

Never said it was, but I don't understand why people need to bring it up. They said there's no co-op, so there's no co-op. You can't 'dlc' in co-op unless it's already built into the game(Capcom). It's not something you can just bandage onto a game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And it's not the customers fault if Capcom don't offer a requested feature.

I'm certainly glad that the devs are making the game based on what they want to do and what they are passionate about rather than crowdsourcing what features it should have.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Never said it was, but I don't understand why people need to bring it up. They said there's no co-op, so there's no co-op. You can't 'dlc' in co-op unless it's already built into the game(Capcom). It's not something you can just bandage onto a game.

Honestly given Capcom's past I wouldn't be surprised if co-op was on the disc and they sold it as a feature for 20$ in 2 months after release.

They have built their own reputation for nonsense.

ironcreed

Banned

Indeed. Hideaki Itsuno said that this was the game he has always dreamed of making and it was always intended to be single player, but with some unique form of interactivity from day one. The game was not built for co-op, then scrapped for the Pawn system, this was the idea all along. Like I said earlier, it's impossible to please all crowds, and that's cool. I am just happy that it is what I wanted. Sorry to hear that it is not jiving with some of you.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Don't sweat it man. You're right, the game would be better with co-op, but cest la vie. People will hate the game 3 months after release regardless. =P

Reviews will back you up with partner AIs get exposed and reviewers AND customers won't why there is no co-op when it seems primed and ready for it.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm certainly glad that the devs are making the game based on what they want to do and what they are passionate about rather than crowdsourcing what features it should have.

Agreed. It almost always backfires when devs listen to fans and make the game around their demands anyway.

Aru

Tried the demo too.
Not really into the WRPG genre for now, but the game seems okay. I'll wait for reviews, but the battle system seems cool.

jorgeton

Honestly given Capcom's past I wouldn't be surprised if co-op was on the disc and they sold it as a feature for 20$ in 2 months after release.

They have built their own reputation for nonsense.

Would not put it past them, in fact, I fully expect it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was just thinking .. if they allowed you to map things to the D buttons on the controller that would be a quick and easy fix to the problem of playing online and handling your inventory and such ... quick map health items/stamina items to 2 of the buttons... lantern or other such stuff to another two ... wouldn't need pawn commands so it would fly without stomping on other stuff.

I think that's how it should go honestly ... multiplayer up to 4 people.. if you start the game multi then other Arisen are your party not Pawns... scale the monsters up to epic and let us loose.

I honestly don't care either way ... but that's how i would do it. DD2 maybe? ;)

I hate my job so much today. Sooooooo much.

ironcreed

Banned
Would not put it past them, in fact, I fully expect it.

I guess they are lying their asses off then, as they have explained on numerous occasions that the game was never intended to have co-op and was developed around a singleplayer experience and a focus on the Pawn sharing system. This was the blueprint from the get-go and that is what they developed. There is no co-op locked on the disk and it will not be coming to the game. They made a single player game with the Pawn system being the unique multiplayer feature. That's it, like it or lump it.

jorgeton

I guess they are lying their asses off then, as they have explained on numerous occasions that the game was never intended to have co-op and was developed around a singleplayer experience and a focus on the Pawn sharing system. This was the blueprint from the get-go and that is what they developed. There is no co-op locked on the disk and it will not be coming to the game. They made a single player game with the Pawn system being the unique multiplayer feature. That's it, like it or lump it.

That'd be nice if they stayed true to the bill of goods they've sold us, but I can honestly see them offering co-op as DLC and then couching it as "the fans asked for it!"

Top Bottom