• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online 1st Trailer

Deku Tree

How do people think the "AI Pawns" will work if you don't have friends to play with? Do they just do their own thing? Or do you have to give them instructions?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wasn't everybody hating on this idea just a matter of months ago?

Trailer looks decent enough, I guess.

Pandacon

Game looks good, just need it to come to the US and not have price-gouging on the f2p front, then I'll give this a shot, it's a shame they had to go that direction though.

W.S.

whelp.

MS, help capcom out wontcha?
They did with Dead Rising 3 which did pretty well for them so maybe they'll work with MS on another franchise.

Yup, there's also the fact that the X1 is for the most part only relevant in the US. PS4 has a worldwide presence.

So it's a pretty easy choice who to partner with for a Japanese company in particular unless a game is being fully funded ala Scalebound.
"Cooperation in development" is a vague statement considering that can mean anything but the X1/360 has a sizable enough base in the US region to still be a good enough potential source of income for Capcom to release it on those platforms.

Crossplay shouldn't even be that big of an issue given Microsoft's Windows 10 focus so they can set up the game to play across 360, Xbox One, and Windows devices.

Mesoian

How do people think the "AI Pawns" will work if you don't have friends to play with? Do they just do their own thing? Or do you have to give them instructions?

Same as DD1. Follow the AI routine you assign them to and talk a lot.

The pawn system was fine. I ended up liking it quite a bit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yeah I don't know how they worked in DD1 either.

You sat down with them and answered a few questions which altered some hidden parameters which in turn altered their "inclination". You could also give them potions to alter specific parameters which would change the pawn's inclination further. This in turn would alter their behavior when moving independently and how they responded to specific commands. There were only a few commands available though, so it wasn't terribly advanced in that regard. Hopefully they'll expand on this in Online.

LaneDS

It'll be extra frustrating if they go the extra mile of clearly porting their engine to PC and then (a) not releasing this in the West and (b) not giving us a PC port of the first game which they're clearly able to do.

Sectus

Can someone let me know what Capcom have done in the past to earn so much ire from certain quarters...?

I get the impression it's practically become a meme where people automatically say "Capcom is trash and can't do anything right," and I assume they're talking about some of the missteps they've done (like going crazy with on-disc DLC with SFxT or canceling a bunch of Mega Man games), or not liking Capcom's games last generation.

As far as I know, Capcom has never done free to play in the console or PC market, so there's no indication they'll handle this in a good or bad way.

I get the impression it's practically become a meme where people automatically say "Capcom is trash and can't do anything right," and I assume they're talking about some of the missteps they've done (like going crazy with on-disc DLC with SFxT or canceling a bunch of Mega Man games), or not liking Capcom's games last generation.

As far as I know, Capcom has never done free to play in the console or PC market, so there's no indication they'll handle this in a good or bad way.

I'll never forgive them for the bullshit they pulled with Megaman Legends 3. But I'm not about to swear off Capcom.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Cheers.

Mobile game publishers have ruined the reputation of F2P forever. Zynga almost single handledly made the idea of F2P completely toxic in the eyes of gamers everywhere.

Sorry, I meant towards Capcom specifically.

Capcom are making more boneheaded decisions than usual in modern times, but I agree it becoming more a meme than anything.

Honestly, if you look at the amount of good games they released last gen, they're heads and shoulders above any other publisher (barring Nintendo, maybe).

Sectus

I'll never forgive them for the bullshit they pulled with Megaman Legends 3. But I'm not about to swear off Capcom.

They definitely have made some huge missteps (I'd include not porting Dragon's Dogma to PC as one of them), but some people behave as if Capcom are incapable of making anything good, and they ignore the fact they have made some incredible games last generation. I'd also give them massive props for treating the PC platform really well the last 2 years (and even before that they were one of the few Japanese publishers to release anything worthwhile on PC).

Just saw them. I'm in, all the way. Hell, I'll spend 60 bucks on day 1 and just treat this thing like a retail game.

It's back you guys. In pog form.

Yeah thats what I'm going to do. Spend the amount of money I would to buy a retail game into the F2P model. If me and my friends get really into it then it will increase.

Mesoian

Can someone let me know what Capcom have done in the past to earn so much ire from certain quarters...?

It' not one specific thing, it's a litany of small but costly mistakes that usually end up hobbling the experience of the consumer for reasons, or otherwise just come off as super poor business sense.

Things that immediately pop into my mind:

-DLC and Gems in Cross Tekken.
-Not doing the backstage steps to make UMVC3 DLC instead of a 40 dollar hard purchase
-Hiring Spark Unlimited, a dev team that has had 0 successful games to revitalize Lost Planet, which ended up burying it
-Mega Man in general
-Leaving the stitches of cut material Dragon's Dogma 1 everywhere in the game
-Not doing the backstage steps to make Dark Arisen DLC instead of a 40 dollar hard purchase.
-The complete lack of general supervision with DmC
-Cacpcom

etc etc etc.

TL:DR - Capcom knows better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again, which causes everyone to be really leary.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
why is it that they're doing this AND deep down? two medieval fantasy combat games that are free to play. I understand there are differences between the games, clearly, (deep down seems to be more of a confined dungeon crawler whereas dragon's dogma is likely much bigger in scope) but it still just seems odd to be doing both of these games at once. I'd love to hear the story about how this came about.

Yeah I wonder about that too. Can't help but feel they'll cannibalize each others.

Zareka

Yeah thats what I'm going to do. Spend the amount of money I would to buy a retail game into the F2P model. If me and my friends get really into it then it will increase.

I kind of wish F2P games had the option of buying it full price and getting a ton of benefits while also offering the regular F2P model. I'd totally straight out buy an F2P game like this.

Edit: Well by benefits I mean stuff everyone can buy via micro transactions of course, not things exclusive to the full buyers.

Ok, I'm playing Onigiri and so far I just bought a sexy piece of underwear for my character... If DDO does the same regarding e-money to just purchase hats and things like that, then I'd approve this version of DD.

Sectus

Do you have any examples of that? I know there's a bunch of stuff they were planning on adding but didn't (then again, that's very common in game development), but I can't remember stumbling upon any uncompleted content in DD1.

I kind of wish F2P games had the option of buying it full price and getting a ton of benefits while also offering the regular F2P model. I'd totally straight out buy an F2P game like this.

Edit: Well by benefits I mean stuff everyone can buy via micro transactions of course, not things exclusive to the full buyers.

Some F2P games do that like Project Spark on XB1. Dunno how often it happens throughout though.

Mugaaz

Except the business models don't fit. F2P is designed to be supported by whales. That's how MHF-G works, and I assume the reason this isn't coming here is because the F2P they use in the JP market would be 100% rejected by Western audiences.

Sorry, got lost on the last page:

Anyone?

Monster Hunter Online

The cash shop shit in Frontier is also completely fucking insane. I COULDNT IMAGINE what it would be like if the game was also F2P. Which everyone here seems to want? I know it would change if brought West, but the cash shop stuff is just so crazy. Im pretty tolerant of IAP stuff and not a guy who yells P2W every time a game sells skins, but holy shit lol. The stuff you can buy with real money in frontier is insane.

Here's some examples of the cash shop in Frontier

Hunter's Course: $14/30 days. Required to do anything relevant in the game. Without it you can't gain exp or fight much of anything except Kut-ku.

Extra Course: $6/30 days. Gives you access to boxes in town (otherwise need to go into private area, PITA), ability to buy additional items (honey, traps, mats for meals, etc), and gathering missions where you can gather 14-16 times per node instead of normal 4-6.

Premium Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you 200% exp, access to premium quests that gives 200-500k z.

Assist Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you a demigod AI partner that uses drinks on you, heals you, plays flutes, deal absolutely crazy damage, can't die, and wake syou up from dizzy/sleep/etc.

BoS Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you another 200% bonus exp, and extra books of secrets for when you are grinding Style Rank. (Another leveling system for each specific weapon that begins at HR 500 and limits the rarity of equipment you can use on quest, gradually being removed as you level up. In return you get some additional moves for each weapon. SR carves are required for high end gear)

Forward Course: $30/72 hours. Lowers damage you take by 60-70%, gives you a 25% damage boost, gives you an extra carve off everything

Cash Shop Armor/weapon sets: $25-30. These are usually around 95% as good as normal armor, but about 100000x easier to upgrade. When you see people in various anime outfits or using weird looking stuff its from here.

Armor/Weapon "Booster Packs": Same as the sets, except you get random tickets for various items int he set, and you need several of each ticket to make / upgrade.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54906420&postcount=725

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok, I'm playing Onigiri and so far I just bought a sexy piece of underwear for my character... If DDO does the same regarding e-money to just purchase hats and things like that, then I'd approve this version of DD.

Oh wow, great idea. Have the game filled with awesome armour, but make the pervs pay for their stupid magic panties and bikini mail like suckers. I'd be okay with that!

...It'll totally be the other way around, won't it. ;_;

Yup. Looks like Dragon's Dogma alright. Looks good.
I'm just a little worried about how they'll handle questing and just going out and exploring the world.
DD1 had some pretty cool quests and a good portion of those were branching. Some of them even took place exclusively in town. How will they handle stuff like that?
I'm worried the role playing aspects of this game will suffer with the move to online.

Do you have any examples of that? I know there's a bunch of stuff they were planning on adding but didn't (then again, that's very common in game development), but I can't remember stumbling upon any uncompleted content in DD1.

wdH34jh.jpg

Original_Plans_3.jpg

Mesoian

There is a building in the main city (which I keep wanting to call Gran Pulse instead of what it's actually called) next to the second pawn society building that is clearly placed for either potion or weapon crafting, but since that stuff was stripped out, it's just a closed off building with no purpose. The two other factions (the thieves guild to the north and the rogue army to the south) were also cut back significantly to only have a handful of side missions associated with them. Most of the side characters backstories end with allusions to other factions that never made it into the final game, particularly Mercedes' and her brother. It's really easy to see where stuff was cut, it wasn't cleaned up at all.

You just end up not caring that much because the combat is fun and the weapon upgrade system isn't really all that bad. I'd expect everything that was cut from DD1 to be prominent in DDOnline, at least if they want the game to have legs.

Deku Tree

F2P is fine with me. Cosmetic micro transactions are fine with me. Periodic essentially required to keep up paid expansions are fine with me. I'm good with all that... But P2W sucks. I don't want it. Not playing a P2W game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It' not one specific thing, it's a litany of small but costly mistakes that usually end up hobbling the experience of the consumer for reasons, or otherwise just come off as super poor business sense.

Things that immediately pop into my mind:

-DLC and Gems in Cross Tekken.
-Not doing the backstage steps to make UMVC3 DLC instead of a 40 dollar hard purchase
-Hiring Spark Unlimited, a dev team that has had 0 successful games to revitalize Lost Planet, which ended up burying it
-Mega Man in general
-Not doing the backstage steps to make Dark Arisen DLC instead of a 40 dollar hard purchase.
-The complete lack of general supervision with DmC
-Cacpcom

etc etc etc.

TL:DR - Capcom knows better, but they keep making the same mistakes again and again, which causes everyone to be really leary.

Now I get it. Eep.

Top Bottom