• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online 1st Trailer

Oh wow, great idea. Have the game filled with awesome armour, but make the pervs pay for their stupid magic panties and bikini mail like suckers. I'd be okay with that!

...It'll totally be the other way around, won't it. ;_;

Who knows, But since it is F2P you can just try it for a while. In Onigiri you can pay for a lot of things: packs of items for noobs errr... I mean starters, rare items, the right to sell your own stuff for e-money, clothes, underwear... You don't even need to buy clothes with e-money: there are some quests that give you tickets for free that you can use to buy stuff (the bad thing is that what you buy with those tickets is totally random).

It'd be nice if they make something similar for DDO.

Oh wow, great idea. Have the game filled with awesome armour, but make the pervs pay for their stupid magic panties and bikini mail like suckers. I'd be okay with that!

...It'll totally be the other way around, won't it. ;_;

lol

Have you seen the scans? The armour designs are looking really good.

Mesoian

What happens to the items if you drop the sub?

If you stop subbing, you probably can't play anymore.

It's why using multiple structures doesn't really work. Why sub when you can do F2P and pay 5 bucks on money, energy, whathaveyou and get a similar result? How do you balance the two against each other in such a way that doesn't make one completely irrelevant.

The most you could do is what WOW does, where it's F2P until, say, level 20, and then you have to do a subscription, if you wanted both models. Essentially make the early game a demo.

Which could work, as long as the big issues from DD1, such as movement speed and things to do in multiple areas of the game, are fixed.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So this is like the original Phantasy Star Online but with Dragon Dogma's combat?

I can support that

Looks like a sandboxed MORPG, kinda like Monster Hunter/Evolve, only with more enemies and more narrative between "missions".

PSO-like, maybe?

Need more info.

There could be a F2P option as well as a sub based one.

The F2P option is full of micro transactions, the sub based model gives you all those items in the sub.

Because what would be the point? If you want a sub option just spend however much you're willing to sub a month on the game. IE: if you wanted a $15/month sub just spend $15 a month on in game stuff and there you go.
The beauty with F2P is you're not wasting money while you're not playing. You can go months w/o paying and have fun, you can spend a little here and there, or you can binge and buy all the crap you want in one go and never spend another cent.

Sectus

There could be a F2P option as well as a sub based one.

The F2P option is full of micro transactions, the sub based model gives you all those items in the sub.

I don't think that's realistic. Every sub-based MMO out there also has a cash shop. I think that fact is also good reasoning for this to be free to play.

Mesoian

The real money is in selling panties for the dragons.

Real talk, the biggest bummer about all this is, even if this game is outrageously excellent and worth people's time and money, the F2P or sub models will effectively murder mod support.

I want DD on PC with a Skyrim level of Mod Support.

params7

Banned
I will check it out when (if) it comes to the US. But really am not looking forward to the Capcom's F2P2W crap. The only turn off about the game. Looks decent and looks like it will play great too.

Edit: If it comes with sub version, I'll hop on it for sure.

Now I get it. Eep.
Mind you, this is a paid, retail product. I can only imagine what Capcom would do to a F2P game.

Seeing how vile Capcom micro transaction and DLC have been, I cannot fathom how people are asking why some of us are mad it is free to play. I can already see plenty of cool down for crafting, ridiculous drop rates, cool down to acquire skills, price to change jobs, lots of customization locked behind paywall, timer for game modes and limited equipment upgrading coming up, and all for ridiculously high prices. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm going to play it anyway, but the chance this doesn't annoy us with payment options every 5 minutes is quite small, and even smaller that this feels like a DD2 instead of a gimped DD. There is absolutely nothing Capcom has done those past years that can prove otherwise. They managed to screw up every sequel and port they got out (even damn Bionic Commando 2!) and most game ownership, with in disc DLC, intrusive micro transactions, always online requirements, constant standalone upgrades... DD was the only thing they had going for them, and now it is a lot of steps closer to being Capcom-fied.

Mesoian

Mind you, this is a paid, retail product. I can only imagine what Capcom would do to a F2P game.

Seeing how vile Capcom micro transaction and DLC have been, I cannot fathom how people are asking why some of us are mad it is free to play. I can already see plenty of cool down for crafting, ridiculous drop rates, cool down to acquire skills, price to change jobs, lots of customization locked behind paywall, timer for game modes and limited equipment upgrading coming up, and all for ridiculously high prices. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm going to play it anyway, but the chance this doesn't annoy us with payment options every 5 minutes is quite small, and even smaller that this feels like a DD2 instead of a gimped DD. There is absolutely nothing Capcom has done those past years that can prove otherwise. They managed to screw up every sequel and port they got out (even damn Bionic Commando 2!) and most game ownership, with in disc DLC, intrusive micro transactions, always online requirements, constant standalone upgrades... DD was the only thing they had going for them, and now it is a lot of steps closer to being Capcom-fied.

Agreed.

And keep in mind, I want to trust Capcom when they come out and say that they're working on something brand new an amazing and the footage looks great.

But one day, we're going to get an announcement of news, and it's going to knock everyone for a loop, the collective world will know it's a bad idea, but it'll happen anyway.

Capcom will eventually Capcpom this up. And that's sad because I want to love them.

nilbog21

Banned
so excited for this, having barely touched Dragons Dogma.. but the fact that it is F2P really turns me off, anyone else?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh. If the engine is already ported to PC they'd be extremely stupid not to just release Dragons Dogma+ Dark Arisen on PC. I'd pay 40 euros for it Capcom, you hear me?

I'd PAY for it. I wouldn't spend a single dime on DD Online. But if that's all I can possibly play I'll take it. But no money for you :(.

eXistor

A real DD sequel is basically all I want. This is not what I want. The f2p model just has too many potential traps for me. I just want to pay one price and get a complete, well-crafted game experience. I have zero faith in modern Capcom to make a well-balanced game you don't have to pay a dime for. It's just not how f2p works, they want your money and they will design their game in a way you pretty much have to spend it. It just cheapens the game for me.

Nemmy

so excited for this, having barely touched Dragons Dogma.. but the fact that it is F2P really turns me off, anyone else?

Depends on how they handle the F2P aspect.
If it ends up as pay-to-win then that's a huge turnoff for me, but otherwise? You get a free game with the option to spend cash on bonus stuff.

I'm concerned, but the game's looking great otherwise.

Rean

Is Super Metroid on discount right now if you buy the trilogy? I just bought it and I saw that it was $1.50

edit: wrong thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know it was coming out on PS3, too. It's going to run like such dogshit...

The offline games were bad enough.

I'll definitely give this a try on PC/PS4, but knowing Capcom, they'll have it 100% locked down to accept only Japanese IP addresses.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol

Have you seen the scans? The armour designs are looking really good.
Yeah, I'm happy with what I saw so far, at least.

A real DD sequel is basically all I want. This is not what I want. The f2p model just has too many potential traps for me. I just want to pay one price and get a complete, well-crafted game experience. I have zero faith in modern Capcom to make a well-balanced game you don't have to pay a dime for. It's just not how f2p works, they want your money and they will design their game in a way you pretty much have to spend it. It just cheapens the game for me.
You and me both, mate/sis. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Can't you just budget 60 for micro transactions? I'm starting to prefer f2p cause you can try all these games and get a reasonable taste of things for free. Like extended demos.

I'm also not competitive so I don't care if others are paying to win and I don't care about aesthetic crap people love paying for.

TheHall

Can't you just budget 60 for micro transactions? I'm starting to prefer f2p cause you can try all these games and get a reasonable taste of things for free. Like extended demos.

I'm also not competitive so I don't care if others are paying to win and I don't care about aesthetic crap people love paying for.

Exactly.

I dropped about $60 on Hearthstone and it has given me hours of entertainment with enough viable decks to have some good games.

Yes, i could spend more, but i don't need to to have a good time.

assuming the F2P mechanic doesn't limit how much you can do then no issues.

If the game is similar to DD1 in not just combat but overall game structure I have no problems with this game or it being F2P. But as I've stated before in this thread, I have a feeling some of the more RPG aspects of the game will suffer from the transition to online. The original DD had a large world you could explore and just stumble upon dungeons and loot and what not, as well as a large variety of quests with branching paths that effected events later on down the road. Will these elements make the move from offline to online? My gut feeling is doubtful of that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Can't speak for eXistor but I thought his/her initial post outlined pretty well why it's not the same experience at all. A full priced game is an entire product that I get to explore at my own pace and discover and experience the way I want it. It shatters the experience when you see a whole game littered with microtransactions and other stuff taunting you from behind a paywall.

Hell, if it turns out the microtransactions are for cosmetic things only, I'll be pleasantly surprised and won't mind the F2P model at all. But considering this is Capcom, I just have no faith that they'll balance it properly.

TheHall

Are you keen on paying microtransactions to refill your stamina meter every hour?

DO you honestly believe Capcom and Sony would spend resources on a project like this and put in a mechanic like that?

People would spend 2 hours and it and then uninstall, sure there will be some MT, but it would still be subtle enough to not piss of players right from the start

eXistor

It's not about the money, it's about the way the game is designed. They made a conscious choice to go f2p which in my mind (of course this is all speculation from my side) means the game has to be designed around making money. I'm a huge believer in traditional game design. I want a game to be done, warts and all. I can look at a game like OoT and see a masterpiece. Is it perfect? No, but you can take that game and analyze it to no end in every aspect of the game (as it's been in fact). I just don't feel any f2p game (or mmo for that matter) ever has that potential. They'll change the game as they see fit, it is never really done. I just inherently dislike that idea in gaming.

Can't speak for eXistor but I thought his/her initial post outlined pretty well why it's not the same experience at all. A full priced game is an entire product that I get to explore at my own pace and discover and experience the way I want it. It shatters the experience when you see a whole game littered with microtransactions and other stuff taunting you from behind a paywall.

Hell, if it turns out the microtransactions are for cosmetic things only, I'll be pleasantly surprised and won't mind the F2P model at all. But considering this is Capcom, I just have no faith that they'll balance it properly.
100% my opinion. (I'm a "he" btw;) )

In case anyone missed it from the other thread:

KNYZCMB.jpg

please this needs to come as soon as possible

I don't know how much control Sony will have, but I hope they would hold the leash tightly on Capcom when it comes to the monetisation of the F2P

Downgrade from what lol?

Probably from this gens expectations with cross-gen stuff holding back PS4 PC with the combat area scope, enemies on screen and character combat stuff like that because the game is designed around the memory and performance of PS3 roff. Original DD ran like complete shit with awful loading times, frame rate dropping into teens all the time etc. if you want an example.

Moot point though since no ones going to get to play it anyway. VPN routes your traffic through something else elsewhere contributing to much lag in addition to this being a combat game, not a slower paced RPG.

The few westerners who are trying to do the same with VPN will be few and far betweem. If the game is in Japanese dat lag + language barrier. I think ppl will get bored and the hype will wear off if they bring it out a year later to the west (even with upgrades/balance patches and improvements).

Really happy to see that we will get another game with the title dragons dogma on it.
That said, I hope they are also working on Dragons dogma 2.

Top Bottom