• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online 1st Trailer

Honestly, after playing games like PSO2 and Vindictus, f2p games where they create instances for 4 player parties aren't bad at all. There are some occasions in this game where you can gather more people for Emergency quests for PSO2 or raids for Vindictus but overall in an action oriented game smaller parties work fine, since there is less of a "zerg" mentality and it's easier to see what you and the enemy are doing, which is important since you can basically avoid every attack if you are aware. There are pretty awesome boss fights in these games and the fact that they haven't hit consoles (or the west in PSO2's case) is a shame because I think it can really take off. Dragon's Dogma could do very well with this type of gameplay and model. If cash items are only tied to cosmetics or convenience, then I think it's fine with me. As long as all playable content is available to the player I think the f2p model deserves a fair shot because a player will only be losing out on something rather superficial.

Couldn't agree more.
People really need to take their "all F2P are the same shitty P2W model" glasses off.

ChronoX

Why give us this crap instead of a PC version of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Capcom. Geez! Always with this MMO nonsense everytime!

You say this, but there are very instances where F2P doesn't turn into P2W.

Depends on how you define what P2W is.
PSO2 and Dota 2 are example of non-P2W games. There is no pvp in PSO2 so you literally can't win anything by paying.
It also makes me wonder, will there be pvp in DD Online?

kubus

I want to be hyped but I'm not feeling it. Yes it looks and sounds like the Dragon's Dogma I love but the end of the trailer basically confirms this will be like Monster Hunter, where you just hang around in a hub until the party leader selects a monster slaying quest and you get teleported to a closed off area where you have to find the beast, kill it, get rewards and then teleport back to the hub city. Repeat. While I love Monster Hunter, the best thing about Dragon's Dogma, to me, was the sense of adventure and discovery while travelling across Gransys. The map was huge, diverse and you never knew when a dragon might pop up. And that feeling of dread when night almost falls and you're out of torches... To me that was the best aspect of the game and the amazing combat system complemented that. I would be really sad if that part doesn't return in DD Online.

Stimpack

Definitely interested in this. I'd like to compare it to Deep Down whenever the hell either of them release. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we see Dragon's Dogma Online first.

JNA

Banned
Depends on how you define what P2W is.
PSO2 and Dota 2 are example of non-P2W games. There is no pvp in PSO2 so you literally can't win anything by paying.
It also makes me wonder, will there be pvp in DD Online?

Yeah but this is Capcom we are talking about.

I want to be hyped but I'm not feeling it. Yes it looks and sounds like the Dragon's Dogma I love but the end of the trailer basically confirms this will be like Monster Hunter, where you just hang around in a hub until the party leader selects a monster slaying quest and you get teleported to a closed off area where you have to find the beast, kill it, get rewards and then teleport back to the hub city. Repeat. While I love Monster Hunter, the best thing about Dragon's Dogma, to me, was the sense of adventure and discovery while travelling across Gransys. The map was huge, diverse and you never knew when a dragon might pop up. And that feeling of dread when night almost falls and you're out of torches... To me that was the best aspect of the game and the amazing combat system complemented that. I would be really sad if that part doesn't return in DD Online.
Yea, except for the fact that it says the game has a large open world...

It's just the first trailer dude, they're showing off the most important thing about the game first which is the combat.

JNA

Banned
The only Capcom MMO that I can think of is MHFO. After bit of searching, I think I'll have to agree.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54906420&postcount=725
This won't end well, I guess.

Oh no....Oh hell no...

God help us all. :(

Considering they've even found a way to add microtransactions to Resident Evil Revelations 2, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the trajectory they're currently committed towards.

That too.

Capcom handles F2P games about as well as a baby holding a pencil longer than 10 seconds.

bede-x

Is it safe to get hyped for this? I mean, it looks great, I'm just concerned Capcom will find a way to monumentally fuck it up.

It's F2P and online focused, which typically means it'll be a game about grinding and where they'll influence the design enough to make more money through microtransactions than they would with a one time fee.

I wouldn't get excited and can't imagine any scenario where this will be able to fill the role of a Dragon's Dogma sequel.

insta010xdxgc.gif

Day 0. New enemy types look really good, weather, large cities, greatshields.......I cannot wait to play this with some friends.

Keasar

Others may call the monsters boring, but I honestly miss more classic monsters.

Im tired of Cthulu-esque-garble-gorble-morbles from Dark Souls, give me some cyclops, goblins and fucking proper dragons to slay and I am satisfied.

Carefully optimistic, hopefully they bring this to the west and the F2P part doesnt fuck over the gameplay at all or too much (it will inevitably).

You don't have to play with other people. You can also have three computer controlled pawns, just like in the last game.

Kyoufu

I can't wait. Hopefully it's not IP locked and hopefully the localisation isn't too far off the Japanese release.

Keasar

It's free, why not?

I'm sure they will release DD2 at some point.

As another F2P MMO.

A game publishing company earns money on a F2P MMO game, you think at that point they would ever have the idea to release a singleplayer game again of that franchise? That shit would be gone out of their little pocket universe and replaced with huge wads of cash.

The game itself looks true to DD so that's just fine.

But Capcom's track record with F2P and microtransactions plus this having no plans for the west yet doesn't bode well. Expectations are low based on this. Calling it now, oil and curatives will be microtransactions.

I don't know how to feel about this. I loved DD and sunk so many hours into that game. It has probably the best combat out of any RPG I've played and I thought I'd never see another title in the series, so it's awesome that the franchise is getting another game. But it's f2p, MMO or whatever and I really hate that. I thought DD has big potential for multiplayer but I didn't want it to be a multiplayer-only game. I hope you can still play this single player with pawns. I don't want multiplayer all the time.

That said, the trailer looks good, although very ... recycled. Equipment and some areas like the beach look like they were just ripped from the first game...

But still, it's more Dragon's Dogma, and I really want more Dragon's Dogma, so I'm hoping for a western release. And hopefully if this is a success Capcom will make a proper sequel.

benzy

I don't know how to feel about this. I loved DD and sunk so many hours into that game. It has probably the best combat out of any RPG I've played and I thought I'd never see another title in the series, so it's awesome that the franchise is getting another game. But it's f2p, MMO or whatever and I really hate that. I thought DD has big potential for multiplayer but I didn't want it to be a multiplayer-only game. I hope you can still play this single player with pawns. I don't want multiplayer all the time.

That said, the trailer looks good, although very ... recycled. Equipment and some areas like the beach look like they were just ripped from the first game...

But still, it's more Dragon's Dogma, and I really want more Dragon's Dogma, so I'm hoping for a western release. And hopefully if this is a success Capcom will make a proper sequel.

You can play with just AI pawns.

Mutombo

Recycled, but a more fleshed out experience, like an unlimited sprint button when there's no enemies around, because goddamn waiting and sprinting and waiting throughout the map was annoying, will make for a better experience, IMO.

So will multiplayer I bet.

And they cut the trailer to make it look like splitscreen is available as well? Any info about this?

Some Nobody

Would prefer a DD 2 since the art style looks so much better, but I'm okay with this so far. Now I just need a Western announcement. Thinking we'll see it during E3.

You can play with just AI pawns.

Good. I would miss their chatter. "Wolves hunt in packs!, Fire works well!, Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still!" Unless Arisen talk now, too.

Recycled, but a more fleshed out experience, like an unlimited sprint button when there's no enemies around, because goddamn waiting and sprinting and waiting throughout the map was annoying, will make for a better experience, IMO.

So will multiplayer I bet.

And they cut the trailer to make it look like splitscreen is available as well? Any info about this?

Sprinting no longer consumes stamina? That's a great change. I hope they also rework the item inventory, it was really annoying to constantly open the menu to give items to pawns because picking up a mushroom dropped you to another weight class and made you slower.

Top Bottom