• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online 1st Trailer

majik13

Is Capcoms new business model, just waiting for console manufactureres to pony up and help fund their franchses? Have they been waiting for Nintendo to help produce a new MegaMan all this time?

NastyBook

please be cross-platform play...

:(
Definitely don't see why they wouldn't give this the SFV treatment. Unifying the playerbase on this game makes 100% sense, too.

Still rock hard over that Fighter perfect blocking that dragon's charge IN MID AIR.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
What about magic in the dark?
471775_3489664328629_416450140_o.jpg

All well and good. Any DD vet that has seen 3 High Bolides going off at once knows the lightshow to follow is the thing of dreams...

BUT

Can you even wrap you mind around even just TWO assassins on either shoulder of an Ogre digging for gold inside his bone marrow with gouge?
Or multiple Powder Blasts going off at once?
Or a triple Clairvoyance?

The death. Oh... the death.

Mesoian

Is Capcoms new business model, just waiting for console manufactureres to pony up and help fund their franchses? Have they been waiting for Nintendo to help produce a new MegaMan all this time?

It's not like the single greatest advertising bit for Capcom for all of last year wasn't from Nintendo.

jiggle

Saw all 18 pages of scans
Looks like the trailer completely skipped over the story part of the game
The character faces look so much more attractive and refined now
Not sure I like that...

You would think that, but Archers are one of the most fun classes with their rapid firing arrows =p

And Mages have the biggest, baddest spells of any Western fantasy RPG
Seriously
Best part of the game
I can choose any vocation and still feel like the star player

Mesoian

Saw all 18 pages of scans
Looks like the trailer completely skipped over the story part of the game
The character faces look so much more attractive and refined now
Not sure I like that...

I'm sure you'll still be able to create monstrosities.

monodlee

In the scans...
Did anyone else see that the Arisen can stand in waist deep water?!?!

WAIST DEEP WATER!!!
screw the brine

Baalzebup

I love it when I'm attacking something big, climbing all over them and getting to their weakpoint, and all of a sudden, the sky opens up and fucking meteors start raining from the sky around me because my Pawn wanted some time in the limelight.

"SHE'S USING THE NUCLEAR OPTION AGAIN!!!"

Dragon's Dogma is so fucking good you guys, holy shit.

Let's be honest, the pawn Sorcerers fall to the nuclear option pretty much 100% of the time. My personal favourite was casting of a High Maelstrom upon a single Dire wolf.

The silly bugger just crouched there, growling but not going for the offense while the rest of us were just chilling a few meters away from the sorc....

I never understood why she didn't cast High Bolide instead, but eh, High sorcery is High sorcery.

We've all been wanting new dd forever now. We finally get something that looks just like did , but online. And people bitch. Astonishing.

It's not DD then? I mean I'm glad people are excited, but I really couldn't care less about online gaming. It can't be thaaaat astonishing.

Combat looks as fun as ever, though!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We've all been wanting new dd forever now. We finally get something that looks just like did , but online. And people bitch. Astonishing.

Uh huh.

I am sure that F2P is a wonderful moniker that all gamers love and should feel very happy about every time it is attached to their favorite franchise.`

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Looks like Vindictus kinda.

That is my impression, having never played Dragon's Dogma.

Looks like Vindictus kinda.

That is my impression, having never played Dragon's Dogma.
Imagine an Action RPG made by the Japanese Devil May Cry team. Because that's what Dragon's Dogma is, literally.

The combat is as amazing as you'd expect and way ahead of everything else in the genre. There are definitely some rough edges but they nailed the core gameplay so well that it's a game that's unique in the genre. Once you've tried combat like this it's very hard to go back to other RPGs.

VariantX

Imagine an Action RPG made by the Japanese Devil May Cry team. Because that's what Dragon's Dogma is, literally.

The combat is as amazing as you'd expect and way ahead of everything else in the genre. There are definitely some rough edges but they nailed the core gameplay so well that it's a game that's unique in the genre. Once you've tried combat like this it's very hard to go back to other RPGs.

Yeah, its also pretty good about rewarding exploration too as theres almost always something good waiting for you if you go out of your way to explore somewhere. It just need to improve on characters, world and crafting to elevate the game to the next level.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up the newest Famitsu last night. There's a lot of info in there. Going to have to read the issue again when I get home.

majik13

Yeah, its also pretty good about rewarding exploration too as theres almost always something good waiting for you if you go out of your way to explore somewhere. It just need to improve on characters, world and crafting to elevate the game to the next level.

yep.I see a lot of people saying that only the combat was great, and everything else was just mediocre but I really enjoyed the world and exploration just as much. Had a great mood and setting imo, combined with a great day/night cycle. The fact that you could also basically platform and climb anything, combined with class skills, like double jump or levitating really added to this world and exploration. Was fun running around on top of castles and town rooftops and finding hidden shit everywhere. Or finding new ways to travese the environment.
I hope none of this is lost in DDO.

The only major change I would want is to steamline the inventory managment, or just a better UI in general. I should be able to do anything when looking at an item. If Im looking at a certain item, I shouldnt have to back all the way out of several layers if menus, find the new menu, find the exact same item again just to do something different with it or see different info about it. I wouldnt mind them reducing the amount of items a bit as well, but I doubt that will happen.

Mainly, as I am a hoarder, and was constantly over-encumbered, Never knowing if I would need a certain item while out and about. So I tried to keep a good mix of everything on me and my pawns. And getting back to town it would take me like an hour to figure out what I wanted to sell or use, etc. It eventually made me give up on the game, even though I adored it. I just know they will MT strength or inventory slots. Ugh, already hating it.

Besides that, the story and quests were generally ok by me, but I wouldnt mind them getting improved and more variety as well.

nataku

I really hope they don't mess with the darkness of the nights. It's not DD without pitch black nights and lanterns running low on oil.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Have you honestly followed the free to play market in japan? Like at all?

PSO2 is a damn successful F2P action RPG, and pretty much nothing gameplay related is a microtransaction. If they're smart, they'll do what the most successful PC ones have been doing, and rely on cosmetic upgrades for that kind of thing.

Stamina meters aren't all that common in the PC F2P market here in Japan. It's mostly previous year's holiday items, cosmetic upgrades, and customization options.

That would be the smartest way to go, honestly.

I'd say the exploration was great and rewarding in Dark Arisen in the newly added area, but it could have been improved a lot in the original game. It felt like it was 80% there, and needed more "stuff" to be filled in.

I think there's a pretty good chance that DDO could provide that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Have you honestly followed the free to play market in japan? Like at all?
They've been shifting away from stamina and just impacting your drop rate while letting you still play or having reduced XP.
I wouldn't expect it to be that bad.

I'll probably play the JP version if possible. PSO2 is amazingly responsive so hopefully it's like that.

They should have monetized the original... I'd have paid $10 for a potion that shut the pawns the fuck up for a few hours lol

Hype decreasing after reading the heinous shit they've pulled with MHO.

raven777

a concept art from the official twitter.

B8lUZPtCQAEnF0r.jpg:large

also they said they already got the game rated (in Japan) and are at the stage of adjusting game balance. They said they will be done with the test version soon.

Can you even wrap you mind around even just TWO assassins on either shoulder of an Ogre digging for gold inside his bone marrow with gouge?
Or multiple Powder Blasts going off at once?
Or a triple Clairvoyance?

The death. Oh... the death. The frame drops, the FRAME DROPS! (on console).

fixed that for you.

They should have monetized the original... I'd have paid $10 for a potion that shut the pawns the fuck up for a few hours.

Even though this joke was made before here, I still loled.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

also they said they already got the game rated (in Japan) and are at the stage of adjusting game balance. They said they will be done with the test version soon.

Hope you can chat it up with that Dragon.

Where the first game had you lead the pawns on a quest to slay the Dragon (arrogance), could it be that you're now working for this new Dragon?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Where the first game had you lead the pawns on a quest to slay the Dragon (arrogance), could it be that you're now working for this new Dragon?

Well that dragon does seem to be leaving that big ol' city nice and unburned. And it's got a winning smile. Who wouldn't want to work of it?

I know they said that the land and story/characters were going to be new, but I hope the lore behind Dragon's Dogma is still the same in Online. The game got really interesting in it's last third, and I want to know more about the dragons.

maomaoIYP

I hope that I'm wrong, but since it's an MMO does that mean that there won't be a photograph mode anymore since the game can't be paused? Because I probably spent as much time taking photographs as I did killing stuff.

Ferr986

Well that dragon does seem to be leaving that big ol' city nice and unburned. And it's got a winning smile. Who wouldn't want to work of it?

I know they said that the land and story/characters were going to be new, but I hope the lore behind Dragon's Dogma is still the same in Online. The game got really interesting in it's last third, and I want to know more about the dragons.

Tales from my ass: we know that dragons (DD Spoilers)
are the Arisens defeated by the Seneschal. They turn into dragons and search for a new Arisen to become the new God. Also we know that dragons can't help but follow the will of Seneschal, but maybe that white Dragon is inmune to his influence orders and wants to break the cycle... or something.

JNA

Banned

Do you not see the difference between wanting a sequel to DD, and not wanting an MMO f2p with Microtransactions DDO?

People also wanted a new Elder Scrolls. Instead, we got a shitty EverQuest clone (although it wasn't made by the same developers and we will of course get a new elder scrolls game eventually but still). People, especially me, wanted KOTOR 3, instead, we get the abomination that is SWTOR with one of the developers having the audacity to say that the game is KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

Why developers/publishers continue to half-ass or completely ignore demanded sequels to praised games for a much unneeded and much riskier MMO game, I will never know.

Watch Valve next year announce a Half Life MMO.

Tales from my ass: we know that dragons (DD Spoilers)
are the Arisens defeated by the Seneschal. They turn into dragons and search for a new Arisen to become the new God. Also we know that dragons can't help but follow the will of Seneschal, but maybe that white Dragon is inmune to his influence orders and wants to break the cycle... or something.

Perhaps
the cycle is already broken? The question is: did using the Godsbane on yourself break the cycle because there is no new Arisen to take up the mantle of Seneschal? That's how I interpreted it. If so, the story could revolve around the fact that there is no Seneshal anymore, no Maker to guide things and keep the world(s?) in order.

Ferr986

Perhaps
the cycle is already broken? The question is: did using the Godsbane on yourself break the cycle because there is no new Arisen to take up the mantle of Seneschal? That's how I interpreted it. If so, the story could revolve around the fact that there is no Seneshal anymore, no Maker to guide things and keep the world(s?) in order.

yeah its true, forgot that, maybe the white dragon is takin the role of a new kind of Seneschal.
Or maybe DD:O happens in another dimension. I think pawns says that there are different worlds (and Seneschals) but can't remember exactly..

This game will definitely be out in JP by the end of this year.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
yeah its true, forgot that, maybe the white dragon is takin the role of a new kind of Seneschal.
Or maybe DD:O happens in another dimension. I think pawns says that there are different worlds (and Seneschals) but can't remember exactly..

I think the "different worlds" only refer to other players' worlds and shouldn't be taken too literally.

Randy

The translation to ingame isn't that spectacular though. God, I hope this game will knock me off my feet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So there are Uruk-Hais in DDO now? xD

When is this coming out anyway? Have they announced anything resembling a date or even a year?

I have the Famitsu and the game looks fucking GORGEOUS. Hopefully you can finish it in SP mode with 3 Pawns cuz I don't give a single fuck about online mode.

Mutombo

It's not an MMO. Look at the scans. Never more than 4 folks in a party.

Just like in the original, the only MMO part is the Rift part, where you can team up and choose to go on a quest.

Except replace "rift" with "city".

Top Bottom