• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma ships 1 million worldwide, plans to develop brand into franchise

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't want the removal of the pawn system—I just don't want my party to be 50% comprised of throw-away nobodies I don't care about. I know some like what was done with the game, but I find it to be one of the stupidest examples of Japanese developers making wacky gameplay aspects for no reason in a long time. RPGs should be about creating attachment to your party, no rotating half of it in and out constantly like they were armor or weapons.

To me it seems obvious pawns are a salvage job from the tech they had built out. They could have spent a few more years fleshing out the game but they stopped there and slapped whatever ridiculous idea they could think of to explain the talking parrot AI.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If porting it to portables really will not work, Capcom's best bet with this series for the foreseeable future is PS3/360/Wii U. Just use the same engine and sell it in Japan where it did well.

Jinaar

Currently in Post Game in DD and I'll say this has been one hell of a ride so far. The world and fighting engine has captured my attention and never let go. Diablo 3 is wilting away. Capcom can keep making DD games and I'll keep buying them. Game is f'in ace.

Kade

It's really a console game, though. If you're a pc gamer and you expect the standards of games tailored for the pc, this isn't going to set your world on fire. Not that it isn't a really good game, it's just not a pc game.

Same with Dark Souls pc, I just don't get the appeal. It's too much of a console game.

There's no such thing as "too much of a console game". I'm assuming you mean "controller game" but you can plug a controller into a PC and basically have the same experience granted you have the right setup.

There's no such thing as "too much of a console game". I'm assuming you mean "controller game" but you can plug a controller into a PC and basically have the same experience granted you have the right setup.

No, I don't mean 'controller game'.

The game is tailored for the console. The controls, UI, pawn system- everything- is designed for the console.

Games that are tailored for the PC will have much different standards. You wouldn't have anything like this pawn system if DD was designed to be a PC game, because PC RPGs have a different set of expectations. It would be a different game if it was tailored for the PC.

If you are a PC gamer who is accustomed to PC RPGs, you aren't going to be that impressed with DD on the PC. There are different expectations outside of just graphics, and Capcom would have to do a bunch of work to get that up to PC gamer's standards as well.

Glass Rebel

The game is tailored for the console. The controls, UI, pawn system- everything- is designed for the console.

Games that are tailored for the PC will have much different standards. You wouldn't have anything like this pawn system if DD was designed to be a PC game, because PC RPGs have a different set of expectations. It would be a different game if it was tailored for the PC.

If you are a PC gamer who is accustomed to PC RPGs, you aren't going to be that impressed with DD on the PC. There are different expectations outside of just graphics, and Capcom would have to do a bunch of work to get that up to PC gamer's standards as well.

What a weird argument. I don't think every single game needs to be like Baldur's Gate or Elder Scrolls. I care about two things: "Does it work?" and "Is it fun?". I don't look at games and say "why isn't this a PC game?!"

Kade

Controls and UI are based on the input device which is a controller on the 360 and PS3 versions (obviously). It has nothing to do with the platform.

Dragon's Dogma would probably benefit from keyboard and mouse because navigating the UI with a controller is doable but time consuming. Inventory, Quest, Journal, Equipment, Character Screens, etc. are all bound to a single button that opens a list with all above options. On a PC, you can do the traditional I for Inventory, C for Character, J for Journal and so on and so forth and it gives you more time to actually play the game instead of going from one screen to another.

I also don't understand how the pawn system is designed for consoles and how PC games would be "underwhelmed" with Dragon's Dogma. It's an arguably more complex and satisfying game than Skyrim and Dragon Age 2; games that PC gamers bought in droves.

I think the "expectations" you keep bringing up are non-existent considering PC gamers are shown to be more forgiving when it comes to polish and awkward design than console gamers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
At the end of quarter It will be 25-35% down from the already revised forecast.

Capcom can't catch a break lately.

Oni Jazar

I see this game having good legs in the west. It's awesome and everyone, especially RPG fans (eastern & western) needs to play it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Glad to see it do well. The game fell short for my personally, it wasn't all that I wanted it to be, but it definitely deserves a sequel. Not a bad game at all.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

What in the world are you talking about? I'm a PC gamer and a player of PC RPGs, and I've been loving Dragons Dogma. There's nothing about DD that makes it different than any other multiplatform game, and the framerate and resolution benefits would be a godsend. What a bizarre statement.

Anyways, this is good news. I don't really care how much it sells, as long as it sells enough to justify a sequel. It's a great game, but there is tons of room for improvement. Lets just hope they don't pass it off to a junk developer.

What a weird argument. I don't think every single game needs to be like Baldur's Gate or Elder Scrolls. I care about two things: "Does it work?" and "Is it fun?". I don't look at games and say "why isn't this a PC game?!"

Again, PC RPG gamers expect a certain level of complexity and sophistication to the story, visuals, features, UI, etc. This isn't weird, it's how it is.

What in the world are you talking about? I'm a PC gamer and a player of PC RPGs, and I've been loving Dragons Dogma.

I'm a PC gamer and I bought DD. I like it, too. And that has nothing to do with my point.

There's nothing about DD that makes it different than any other multiplatform game, and the framerate and resolution benefits would be a godsend. What a bizarre statement.

There's nothing more I can really say. You either get that PC RPGs and console RPGs have a different set of expectations, or you don't.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Again, PC RPG gamers expect a certain level of complexity and sophistication to the story, visuals, features, UI, etc. This isn't weird, it's how it is.

It's not how it is. Who put you in charge of speaking for PC RPG gamers? Because you're not doing a very good job. You're making a super broad generalization. It would be no different than any other PC/Console multiplatform game. Most of us just want good games, they don't need to be completely built from the ground up for the platform.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I'm a PC gamer and I bought DD. I like it, too. And that has nothing to do with my point.

There's nothing more I can really say. You either get that PC RPGs and console RPGs have a different set of expectations, or you don't.

Why are PC gamers on GAF so hot to get their hands on Dark Souls then? It's hardly as 'complex' as a typical WRPG in stereotypical terms one could probably list off.

Kade

Why are PC gamers on GAF so hot to get their hands on Dark Souls then? It's hardly as 'complex' as a typical WRPG in stereotypical terms one could probably list off.

They're fake unsophisticated PC gamers with low expectations.

ironcreed

Banned
So happy to hear that they are in fact going to make it into a series. They know they have something special with this game.

It's not how it is. Who put you in charge of speaking for PC RPG gamers? Because you're not doing a very good job. You're making a super broad generalization. It would be no different than any other PC/Console multiplatform game. Most of us just want good games, they don't need to be completely built from the ground up for the platform.

Why did many PC gamers have a problem with Oblivion and Skyrim? What were their complaints?

DD is an even simpler RPG, especially in terms of story and game world.

Dark Souls is it's own thing, people are looking for that unique experience and go in knowing what that's about. I look at it more of like a bullet hell shooter in action RPG form.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You aren't meeting my expectations right now.

Dark Souls literally obliterates 95% of the games that have come out on PC or console in the last few years. That shit does not have 1 spreadsheet in it. You don't even have any skill trees, yo.

This is the action RPG of the forever.

I'm not even kidding. Diablo is just a parlor trick compared to this game - the only thing Diablo has on this is a loot system that is highly refined. You think you're having fun, until you play this game - and you realise you were just hooked on some dumb loot mechanics and the core gameplay... is actually trash!

Seriously though, any self respecting gamer that enjoys RPGs on any level would do well to pick this shit up. 20 years of game evolution and hybridization pays off big time with this game. Don't fucking wait for PC if you don't have to - respect yourself more and get this shit now. Double dip when it comes out on PC so you can relive the awesome again!

Fuck... this is probably the first console game where I go crazy and splurge on DLC.

it's the truth.

Wildesy

south_park_smug.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why did many PC gamers have a problem about Oblivion and Skyrim? What were their complaints?

Does it matter?

Both games have done very well on PC. In the end, that's all that really matters. There is a large audience that has been ready and willing to embrace those games on the platform. Some gamers weren't happy with the way those games turned out, and some were. Most of the complaints, at least from what I've seen, are about design decisions (like level scaling) that aren't strictly a 'console' thing. I don't see how that leads you to believe PC gamers wouldn't want a game like Dragon's Dogma, and again, it's would be no different than any other modern console to PC port.

Kem0sabe

According to EA and UBI, they should turn Dragon´s Dogma into a third person cover base shooter or an FPS. A million unit´s is nowhere near enough to justify the production costs.

Kade

Does it matter?

Both games have done very well on PC. In the end, that's all that really matters. There is a large audience that has been ready and willing to embrace those games. Some gamers weren't happy with the way those games turned out, and some were. Most of the complaints, at least from what I've seen, are about design decisions (like level scaling) that aren't strictly a 'console' thing. I don't see how that leads you to believe PC gamers wouldn't want a game like Dragon's Dogma, and again, it's would be no different than any other modern console to PC port.

I think the issue is that people think that console and PC are associated with dumbed down and complex, respectively. I won't pretend that there isn't some truth to that but it's ridiculous to assume that there's a marriage of the two concepts and developers are players are obligated to give into these "expectations". The truth is that neither party gives a shit and just want good games. Yeah, it sucks that RPGs aren't as complex/sophisticated as they used to be but modern games are good in their own right.

Does it matter?

Both games have done very well on PC. In the end, that's all that really matters. There is a large audience that has been ready and willing to embrace those games on the platform. Some gamers weren't happy with the way those games turned out, and some were. Most of the complaints, at least from what I've seen, are about design decisions (like level scaling) that aren't strictly a 'console' thing. I don't see how that leads you to believe PC gamers wouldn't want a game like Dragon's Dogma, and again, it's would be no different than any other modern console to PC port.

I think in the interest of your argument you might be minimizing the criticism of those two games just a little bit. Of course they still sold well, there is nothing else like them on console and there is a mod out there that addresses anything and everything.

If the story and game world were too simple in those games... those are like The Silmarilion compared to the game world and story of DD. Play The Witcher 2 and DD back to back.

I think the issue is that people think that console and PC are associated with dumbed down and complex, respectively. I won't pretend that there isn't some truth to that but it's ridiculous to assume that there's a marriage of the two concepts and developers are players are obligated to give into these "expectations". The truth is that neither party gives a shit and just want good games. Yeah, it sucks that RPGs aren't as complex/sophisticated as they used to be but modern games are good in their own right.

Again, it's just a different set of expectations. Of course everyone wants good games, but it's naive to say that every platform is or even should be the same, or that PC gamers don't care about the level of complexity and sophistication in their games as long as it's fun.

Glad they're continuing the franchise. As flawed as DD is, it's still a pretty awesome game and could be amazing with some more iteration and refinement (and yes, co-op). I just hope they don't decide to only continue it as a handheld game.

Dylan

What ever happened to the woman who was allegedly harassed to the point of suicide during the development of this game?

I tried to find some news on google but it seems like nobody ever followed up on this story.

emb

That's good to hear. I'm enjoying what I've played of DD so far, and looking forward to seeing how well they iterate on it.

Why did many PC gamers have a problem with Oblivion and Skyrim? What were their complaints?

DD is an even simpler RPG, especially in terms of story and game world.

What? Mechanically Skyrim is incredibly simple and designed around accessibility, I would say DD feels more like a PC RPG than Elder Scrolls does at this point.

EekTheKat

The more I think about it, the more I don't want traditional full time coop gameplay in a DD sequel. Optional coop on an encounter by encounter basis would be far more preferrable than having someone follow me around for an entire session essentially roleplaying a pawn.

Traditional full time coop - while fun, also brings along a whole lot of baggage that also tends to drag the overall experience down. Everything from rage quitting, constant complaining, and immersion breaking moments (random AFK's, and so forth).

Pawns will happily follow me around exploring at my own pace, an actual human player pawn on the other hand will usually just flat out tell you what's there and to not waste your time with certain things. Multiplayer coop these days has a tendency to gravitate towards efficiency, and that often doesn't mesh well with a game with an emphasis on exploration and adventure.

While a Pawn occasionally guides you or drops hints about certain things, an actual player if they've already done it will most of the time just flat out tell you how a quest plays out, what will happen, and what you need to do for the best outcome.

Hell yes! This game is easily one of the most ambitious that I've played - the type of game that reminds you that serious polish and optimization of tech can make a good game great. Dragon's Dogma has its flaws but damn its high points are astounding.

Zaptruder

Banned
This game could work on the PC. It would require a good amount of reworking of the controls and UI, but the core gameplay isn't inherently more console or PC.

Ok, that's a lie - it's inherent gamepad friendly... mashing attack buttons works much better on gamepads than on keyboards.

But that's not a show stopper. Certainly, if they can port Dark Souls, then they can port Dragon's Dogma.

But like I said earlier... if you're on the fence or waiting for the PC version - and you have the option of playing it at all - do yourself a favour and play it now. Don't wait. There's no point waiting to have the best goddamn ARPG experience known to humanity. You might as well wait for a blow job from a supermodel once her knee-reconstruction surgery goes through.

If it happens, great. Do it again - otherwise you're just missing out here.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want traditional full time coop gameplay in a DD sequel. Optional coop on an encounter by encounter basis would be far more preferrable than having someone follow me around for an entire session essentially roleplaying a pawn.

Traditional full time coop - while fun, also brings along a whole lot of baggage that also tends to drag the overall experience down. Everything from rage quitting, constant complaining, and immersion breaking moments (random AFK's, and so forth).

Pawns will happily follow me around exploring at my own pace, an actual human player pawn on the other hand will usually just flat out tell you what's there and to not waste your time with certain things. Multiplayer coop these days has a tendency to gravitate towards efficiency, and that often doesn't mesh well with a game with an emphasis on exploration and adventure.

While a Pawn occasionally guides you or drops hints about certain things, an actual player if they've already done it will most of the time just flat out tell you how a quest plays out, what will happen, and what you need to do for the best outcome.
I somewhat agree. I think the main thing people don't think about when asking for co-op in this game is that the Inventory system and UI would have to be completely overhauled to better allow for no-pause gameplay. That means some buttons would probably have to freed up for quick slots (probably the pawn commands on the Dpad) and definitely an option for quick weapon switching (though they should do this anyway).

That said, the option would still be nice even if it was just a separate mode. I'm just glad they have the pawn system for those who don't want or can't have the co-op option.

Kacho

Congrats to Capcom, I guess. Just beat Dragon's Dogma last night and there are some serious issues with that game. I hope the sequel corrects a lot of these issues.

Carcetti

This is a reaaally weird argument. I've been playing computer RPGs since before PCs existed and I've played a lot of pc RPGs in the last decade. If anything I've come to expect buggy games that could use a lot more sophistication as actual computer rpg genre seemed half dead before Gothic and others revived it. Dragon's Dogma reminds me a lot of those Eastern RPGs with great ideas that sometimes work and sometimes don't. Except it has better combat.

DD has so much potential if they could just fix the problems like the terrible menu system in the sequel.

This is a reaaally weird argument. I've been playing computer RPGs since before PCs existed and I've played a lot of pc RPGs in the last decade. If anything I've come to expect buggy games that could use a lot more sophistication as actual computer rpg genre seemed half dead before Gothic and others revived it. Dragon's Dogma reminds me a lot of those Eastern RPGs with great ideas that sometimes work and sometimes don't. Except it has better combat.

DD has so much potential if they could just fix the problems like the terrible menu system in the sequel.

Well, it's pretty weird to me that you or anyone thinks it's a weird argument lol. I've been playiing PC RPGs for a long time, too.

Durante

Well, it's pretty weird to me that you or anyone thinks it's a weird argument lol. I've been playiing PC RPGs for a long time, too.
I think it's one of the weirdest arguments I've ever read on GAF. And that's saying a lot. All kinds of different games thrive on PC, to say that one specific game in a popular genre doesn't "fit" the platform -- and not due to interface concerns but due to concerns about how some imaginary homogenous audience perceives it -- seems very strange.

froliq

Grats Capcom. Game does have some issues, but I absolutely loved it since the moment I got it. Didn't even mind starting from scratch when I got a corrupted save file.

Sectus

Like how Morrowind was very much a PC centric game and unlike any console RPG, and then became a huge success on xbox?

There's no such thing as a game being too much like a console or PC game. The only obstacle you could ever encounter is the controller, which isn't an obstacle in this case since you have the option to plug in a gamepad.

Considering how the game doesn't really hold your hand and it leaves much of the discovery up to the player, I can see old school RPG fans falling in love with the game.

Top Bottom