• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma ships 1 million worldwide, plans to develop brand into franchise

joe2187

Banned
Naw, go ahead. The problem with the game is that, until a very specific event, it's too easy. But the first 2 hours or so will still be a challenge.

Well they are releasing a patch sometime in december for the original DD game, were it adds new challenges, and a Hard mode.

Have you PLAYED a Capcom PC port? That's the last thing you should ask for...

Have you played the DMC4 port? it's pure fucken heaven.

Naw, go ahead. The problem with the game is that, until a very specific event, it's too easy. But the first 2 hours or so will still be a challenge.

Have you PLAYED a Capcom PC port? That's the last thing you should ask for...

Capcom PC ports are generally good, GFWL aside.

DR2/OTR, RE5, and DMC4 are all quite competent. Never bothered with the Lost Planets on PC, so I can't speak to those.

Mesoian

Capcom PC ports are generally good, GFWL aside.

DR2/OTR, RE5, and DMC4 are all quite competent. Never bothered with the Lost Planets on PC, so I can't speak to those.

RE4 PC was a fucking nightmare.

Well they are releasing a patch sometime in december for the original DD game, were it adds new challenges, and a Hard mode.

Right, but unless you know how or why it's too easy, that hard mode is gonna do nothing for you. It's still worth going through it normally. That hard mode is what people specifically asked for for NG+.

Have you played the DMC4 port? it's pure fucken heaven.

Naw, I played it on 360. Once was enough.

RE4 PC was a fucking nightmare.

RE4 PC was years and years ago and not handled by the porting houses Capcom uses these days.

If you believe that the examples I mentioned are sub-par and for whatever reason are less valid than RE4 somehow, I would like to hear that reasoning.

Tex117

Banned
Capcom could be on to something here with a little more refinement of the formula.

Overall, I really liked the game in concept, but it fell a bit short on atmosphere (towns and vistas), story (except for the very end...to those who have seen the credits roll, you know what I mean), and in some ways irritating with the way they handled extremely limited fast travel. (they could have worked out something better here...). The towns felt flat...

The combat system, class system, customizable stuff...all right on the money.

Will look forward to the next one.

Raven77

Lol wow, has anyone thought about how terrible sales of 1 million are at this point in the console life cycle?

I mean this game launched on a set of systems with well over 100 million owners.

A game selling to less than 1% of the target audience is, in my opinion quite depressing.

PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS AS A DRAGONS DOGMA BASH --- I actually really enjoyed the game and am glad it is becoming a franchise.

I just find it incredible that some of the early first and second year titles were selling well into the millions of units with about 20% of the installed user base that we have today.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol wow, has anyone thought about how terrible sales of 1 million are at this point in the console life cycle?

I mean this game launched on a set of systems with well over 100 million owners.

A game selling to less than 1% of the target audience is, in my opinion quite depressing.

PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS AS A DRAGONS DOGMA BASH --- I actually really enjoyed the game and am glad it is becoming a franchise.

I just find it incredible that some of the early first and second year titles were selling well into the millions of units with about 20% of the installed user base that we have today.

Why is that puzzling to you? At the time it was a user base consisting mostly of hardcore early adopters who were starved for good games on their new platform. Of course they're going to buy up anything that even somewhat stands out.

Now there's a hell of a lot more out there to capture people's attention. Even in the fantasy genre alone, you have a ton of excellent options. It's much more difficult to stand out later in the generation.

There is a reason why launch games tend to do very well. Early adopters are hardcore types and eager to justify purchases.

Top Bottom