• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

cj_iwakura

That explanation doesn't work because
she created the intoners by trying to rip the flower off from her eye. However it might just be that the flower moved to somewhere else in her body(possible because the other intoners are also infected and they don't have the flower in their eye) and then went back to her eye for some reason..idk

I figure it was dormant until the sisters killed her in the prologue?

How about that spoiler thread? I think we need one.

Manbig

So I finally got around to starting this game up. Did Suda51 make this game under a pseudonym? I recall the first two games taking themselves very serious for the most part and I'm not sure if I'm feeling this sudden change of tone just yet.

Outside of that, I have just one question. I'm sure I have to collect all the weapons for another ending, but do I also have to level all of them? I'm afraid to search for this due to spoilers, so just figured I would ask here.

Astarte

From what I understand the flower appears only after a certain amount of time after the infection.

There is something I don't get though...
Did we get an explanation why Zero has an artificial hand if she's able to regenerate herself?

I'm guessing that it's because the arm was destroyed by a dragon's magic. The flower can't do anything against ancient dragon hermaphrodite magic.

Sera O

Banned
So I finally got around to starting this game up. Did Suda51 make this game under a pseudonym? I recall the first two games taking themselves very serious for the most part and I'm not sure if I'm feeling this sudden change of tone just yet.

Outside of that, I have just one question. I'm sure I have to collect all the weapons for another ending, but do I also have to level all of them? I'm afraid to search for this due to spoilers, so just figured I would ask here.

No, you only need the actual weapons. There is a reward of infinite intoner mode for maxing them all out but it's not necessary for all the endings, thank god.

Reknoc

takes them forever to fix the issue and you have to download the game from the store again if I'm reading it right. fuck that noise, I'll just tolerate the dub then have to deal with that download again.

Holykael1

Banned
takes them forever to fix the issue and you have to download the game from the store again if I'm reading it right. fuck that noise, I'll just tolerate the dub then have to deal with that download again.

Well the dub is pretty good all things considered. Especially Zero, Michael, Mikhail and the disciples.

I thought the English dub was good as well. Never got to play with Japanese voice acting though..yet.

However, I heard from a youtube video (here) that the English dub sort of creates a different personality for Zero than the Japanese version.

In the English dub, she comes off as "frustrated bitch" where as in the Japanese dub, she's "laid back, lathargic character whose motivation is to get from point A to point B"

So now I'm curious to see how Japanese Zero's personality really is.

Holykael1

Banned
I thought One's was outstanding.

Oh yeah that one's pretty good as well. The other intoners don't speak much anyway and they are fine too.

I thought the English dub was good as well. Never got to play with Japanese voice acting though..yet.

However, I heard from a youtube video (here) that the English dub sort of creates a different personality for Zero than the Japanese version.

In the English dub, she comes off as "frustrated bitch" where as in the Japanese dub, she's "laid back, lathargic character whose motivation is to get from point A to point B"

So now I'm curious to see how Japanese Zero's personality really is.

I think the English take seems to be a bit more interesting.

I don't think I could ever wrap my head around Zero having a personality other than the dubbed one. It just seemed so perfect.

Hard to acccept anything other than 8-4's usual master localization.

Holykael1

Banned
Visually..nothing,
The dialogue has a lot of sexual overtones but it's not because of "fanservice", it relates to the actual story, bizarreness and insanity of the game world, it's not there for pandering.
It has sexual overtones by the same token that it has sadists, masochists and other fucked up characters.
I suggest going to the official drakengard 3 website and read some of the character novellas(avoid One and Mikhail until you finish the game though) to see what it's all about.

I'll echo the statement that the game is short on fan service.

There's exactly one boobly grab and a character who is a glutton for all things sensual, but everything lurid in this crazy sex-themed action rpg is expressed through dialogue and almost always for humor instead of titillation.

Wonderfully enough, it DOES work very well as a gender reversed harem game.

Manbig

So I'm finishing up this game now and hohohoooooly shit it is almost staggering how much they missed the mark here. My expectations were already relatively low going in because it is a Drakengard game, but I am amazed at how bad this game still turned out. Just so many things went wrong here.

- Incredibly awful camera that WILL get in the way of gameplay.

- One of the worst enemy lock on systems that I've seen in a VERY long time.

- Dull settings that get reused constantly throughout the game.

- Dragon combat is almost non existent, and when it does pop up, it's freaking awful. Way worse than in the older games.

- Bland story that was told in a very terrible way, which was quite shocking to me considering the history of the series.

- Odd attempts at humor that makes character behavior incredibly inconsistent.

- To top it all off, the game throws one last fuck you in your direction by introducing unexplained mechanics out of nowhere for the last boss. Seriously, what competent game creators can possibly think that this was a good idea?

I didn't know what to expect from this game going in, but seeing as it's a Drakengard game, I had expected to at least be entertained by some bat shit insanity, but I feel like I got nothing here.

Man, I haven't been this upset over a gaming purchase in a while, but this one really rubbed me the wrong way. Just had to get that off of my chest.

So I'm finishing up this game now and hohohoooooly shit it is almost staggering how much they missed the mark here. My expectations were already relatively low going in because it is a Drakengard game, but I am amazed at how bad this game still turned out. Just so many things went wrong here.

[...]

- Bland story that was told in a very terrible way, which was quite shocking to me considering the history of the series.

- Odd attempts at humor that makes character behavior incredibly inconsistent.

The writing in particular feels schizophrenic. The story keeps changing tone over and over; something crude happens and a witty remark or a slapstick scene follows.

I finished chapter 3 and the introduction of Octa alongside the boss battle with Three is a perfect example of what is wrong with this game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
btw if you want to see the E ending boss get roflstomped and make people who were having trouble with it sad watch the first niconico vid in the link below. its someone a coworker knows did this. for those who have played this stage can understand why the footage is insane. this is from the first game btw.

http://game.girldoll.org/note/4995/

Related to this title as that particular boss fight is similar yet reversed to everyones favorite that appears in this game.

So I was looking at some artwork of Drakengard 3
Drakengard_series_character_artwork.png

That's a Grimoire. It looks kinda like Weiss. So uh, i haven't completed the game yet but is there any mentions of the Grimoires??

Holykael1

Banned
So how does this game compare to NIER?

It's not as good but it's also very different. Worth playing on it's own if you have a tolerance for janky games(I actually enjoyed the gameplay in here more than Nier) and like bizarre stories/characters.
I recommend heading over to the drakengard 3 website and reading a couple of novellas for characters(just avoid the last 2-3 ones because spoilers) and see if it would be something you enjoy.

Edit: For example, only 2-3 characters get great character development, otherwise other characters remain pretty stale(however this is not necessarily a bad thing for Drakengard 3 because their insanity is extremely amusing.). The plot is pretty cool once you get all the branches but it won't blow your mind or anything. The main character is the highlight of the narrative and the story/plot around her. Dialogue is really entertaining and great fun.

Quick questions, why does this game have "poor" graphics? Did Drakengard 1 and 2 have poor graphics too? And why does it use Unreal Engine? It is a Japanese game. I would expect it to use a Japanese engine than a Western engine.

After 2 hours of trying, I got to the end of Branch D, and ended up fucking up the second to the last note at the last boss after the fade to black... Game Over man..Game Over...

Time to start NIER.

cj_iwakura

After 2 hours of trying, I got to the end of Branch D, and ended up fucking up the second to the last note at the last boss after the fade to black... Game Over man..Game Over...

Time to start NIER.

Use the sync video, spare yourself the suffering.

Personally my favorite ending was C.

Wait, what? I assume you mean the poster.

Wait, what? I assume you mean the poster.
Ah yeah, I meant just the poster lol.

Also, is there anyone here in the US that is willing to sell or knows where to buy the newest Art Book/Complete Guide? I really want it and as a last resort I will import it but figured I'd ask if anyone here had the hookup.

Also, if any GAFfers living in Japan could hook me up personally I would easily reimburse you for it plus shipping to the US. EBay prices are insane it seems as Amazon has it for much cheaper but I dunno how Amazon does its shipping through independent dealers.

If anyone could help me out, that would be great.

Groof

FINALLY started playing this game. Broke my fucking heart when I noticed I had to redownload everything in order to get the 1.01 update, but now that's past now.

So should I be prioritising Accord's quests over the main story? What cool stuff do I get?

Also dat framerate whoa

jimi_dini

Ah yeah, I meant just the poster lol.

Also, is there anyone here in the US that is willing to sell or knows where to buy the newest Art Book/Complete Guide? I really want it and as a last resort I will import it but figured I'd ask if anyone here had the hookup.

Just order it at honto.jp. It's 2400 actually 2300 Yen (so roughly $23) + shipping (and you can choose the cheapest airmail "SAL", they only charge what they have to pay, SAL is really cheap and their packaging is top notch)

http://honto.jp/netstore/pd-book_26052491.html

I think they even sent me a 500 Yen coupon recently. EDIT: nvm, it was an ebook trial. It's still pretty cheap there.

EDIT: just ordered it myself. Haven't touched the game at all, but already bought the 2 disc OST on top of the US LE and now dat artbook.

Don't order it from amazon.co.jp, they screw over international buyers by forcing everyone to pay express airmail (or something like that), I avoid them since then.

Yasumi

Banned
Just order it at honto.jp. It's 2400 actually 2300 Yen (so roughly $23) + shipping (and you can choose the cheapest airmail "SAL", they only charge what they have to pay, SAL is really cheap and their packaging is top notch)

http://honto.jp/netstore/pd-book_26052491.html

I think they even sent me a 500 Yen coupon recently. EDIT: nvm, it was an ebook trial. It's still pretty cheap there.

EDIT: just ordered it myself. Haven't touched the game at all, but already bought the 2 disc OST on top of the US LE and now dat artbook.

Don't order it from amazon.co.jp, they screw over international buyers by forcing everyone to pay express airmail (or something like that), I avoid them since then.
CDJapan is also a viable option.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1612028

Holykael1

Banned
FINALLY started playing this game. Broke my fucking heart when I noticed I had to redownload everything in order to get the 1.01 update, but now that's past now.

So should I be prioritising Accord's quests over the main story? What cool stuff do I get?

Also dat framerate whoa

You can do them whenever but I recommend doing them as they are unlocked to prevent burning out on them later.

Groof

You can do them whenever but I recommend doing them as they are unlocked to prevent burning out on them later.

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far. This really is a Drakengard game, boy does it feel broken. Enjoying it so far, though.

Is the DLC worth it?

cj_iwakura

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far. This really is a Drakengard game, boy does it feel broken. Enjoying it so far, though.

Is the DLC worth it?

Four's, Two's, One's, and Zero's, I believe. Four's shows her other side, Two's shows why she went crazy.

Top Bottom